Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Downloading Yahoogroups' messages, etc.

2019-10-18 10:07:39
Johanne Tournier

Hi, Neil 

I cross-posted a lot yesterday, and for that I apologize. But I was concerned to get the word out regarding the impending crisis with Yahoogroups as quickly as possible.

Regarding downloading the list messages, photos, and files from Yahoogroups  I put in a request directly to Yahoogroups to download the data on my own groups, and I received a reply that it might take up to 30 days to respond to the request. And I am not sure if they will respond, given that their intentions are to pretty well shut the groups down. But a member of the Lord of the Rings list that I'm on passed on that there is a software program called PG Offline, which is available for a free 14-day trial period, that will allow you to download all your list messages, photos and files to your own PC, and after that, of course, you can do what you like with them. Including uploading them to groups.io. Here is the URL:

http://www.personalgroupware.com/downloads.htm

I have already downloaded all the messages for my own lists, and it was pretty straightforward. I'm technologically-challenged, so if I can get it to operate, anyone can!

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Downloading Yahoogroups' messages, etc.

2019-10-18 12:00:29
A J Hibbard
Johanne - this looks like an interesting solution if you're a Windows user. I am not, so I'm wondering what the export facilities are for the PG Offline program. I have watched the recommended video & explored the site, and have not found an answer.  Are you able to answer this question? Or is the PG Offline program simply a viewer?
A J

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 4:11 AM Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

Hi, Neil 

I cross-posted a lot yesterday, and for that I apologize. But I was concerned to get the word out regarding the impending crisis with Yahoogroups as quickly as possible.

Regarding downloading the list messages, photos, and files from Yahoogroups  I put in a request directly to Yahoogroups to download the data on my own groups, and I received a reply that it might take up to 30 days to respond to the request. And I am not sure if they will respond, given that their intentions are to pretty well shut the groups down. But a member of the Lord of the Rings list that I'm on passed on that there is a software program called PG Offline, which is available for a free 14-day trial period, that will allow you to download all your list messages, photos and files to your own PC, and after that, of course, you can do what you like with them. Including uploading them to groups.io.  Here is the URL:

I have already downloaded all the messages for my own lists, and it was pretty straightforward. I'm technologically-challenged, so if I can get it to  operate, anyone can!

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

2019-10-18 13:13:52
Johanne Tournier

Hi, A.J.!

I will ask the moderator of the SciFi group that I'm on. He seems to be familiar with the program. I will let you know if I get an answer. (If we don't have any luck, I suppose you could contact the software developer.)

Johanne

Sent: Friday, October 18, 2019 8:00:16 AM
To: <>
Subject: Re: Downloading Yahoogroups' messages, etc.

Johanne - this looks like an interesting solution if you're a Windows user. I am not, so I'm wondering what the export facilities are for the PG Offline program. I have watched the recommended video & explored the site, and have not found an answer. Are you able to answer this question? Or is the PG Offline program simply a viewer?
A J

Hi, Neil 

Regarding downloading the list messages, photos, and files from Yahoogroups  I put in a request directly to Yahoogroups to download the data on my own groups, and I received a reply that it might take up to 30 days to respond to the request. And I am not sure if they will respond, given that their intentions are to pretty well shut the groups down. But a member of the Lord of the Rings list that I'm on passed on that there is a software program called PG Offline, which is available for a free 14-day trial period, that will allow you to download all your list messages, photos and files to your own PC, and after that, of course, you can do what you like with them. Including uploading them to groups.io. Here is the URL:

I have already downloaded all the messages for my own lists, and it was pretty straightforward. I'm technologically-challenged, so if I can get it to operate, anyone can!

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

2019-10-18 13:18:59
A J Hibbard
Thank you.
A J

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 7:13 AM Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

Hi, A.J.!

I will ask the moderator of the SciFi group that I'm on. He seems to be familiar with the program. I will let you know if I get an answer. (If we don't have any luck, I suppose you could contact the software developer.)

Johanne

Johanne - this looks like an interesting solution if you're a Windows user.. I am not, so I'm wondering what the export facilities are for the PG Offline program. I have watched the recommended video & explored the site, and have not found an answer.  Are you able to answer this question? Or is the PG Offline program simply a viewer?
A J

Hi, Neil 

Regarding downloading the list messages, photos, and files from Yahoogroups  I put in a request directly to Yahoogroups to download the data on my own groups, and I received a reply that it might take up to 30 days to respond to the request. And I am not sure if they will respond, given that their intentions are to pretty well shut the groups down. But a member of the Lord of the Rings list that I'm on passed on that there is a software program called PG Offline, which is available for a free 14-day trial period, that will allow you to download all your list messages, photos and files to your own PC, and after that, of course, you can do what you like with them. Including uploading them to groups.io.  Here is the URL:

I have already downloaded all the messages for my own lists, and it was pretty straightforward. I'm technologically-challenged, so if I can get it to  operate, anyone can!

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

2019-10-18 13:29:59
A J Hibbard
Just found this on the PG Offline site. I think it answers my question.

"Export your messages as a pipe delimited CSV file in plain text, HTML or as an SQL dump."

A J

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 7:18 AM A J Hibbard <ajhibbard@...> wrote:
Thank you.
A J

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 7:13 AM Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

Hi, A.J.!

Johanne

Johanne - this looks like an interesting solution if you're a Windows user.. I am not, so I'm wondering what the export facilities are for the PG Offline program. I have watched the recommended video & explored the site, and have not found an answer.  Are you able to answer this question? Or is the PG Offline program simply a viewer?
A J

Hi, Neil 

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

2019-10-18 13:42:15
Neil Trump
I am going round to my daughter and son in law tomorrow who are willing to give me a hand in case I run into some issues that baffle me. The intention will be to safeguard as much as we can and then see where go after
Neil

Sent from my iPad
On 18 Oct 2019, at 10:11, Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

Hi, Neil 

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

2019-10-18 13:52:16
Hilary Jones
Neil, I think you're right. The main thing in the end is that we continue as a group somehow. I'm sorry it's taken up your weekend. Thank you very, very much - I'm sure everyone does. H (but we have got a bit of time for retrieval)
On Friday, 18 October 2019, 13:42:20 BST, Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> wrote:

I am going round to my daughter and son in law tomorrow who are willing to give me a hand in case I run into some issues that baffle me. The intention will be to safeguard as much as we can and then see where go after

Neil

Sent from my iPad
On 18 Oct 2019, at 10:11, Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

Hi, Neil 

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

2019-10-18 14:53:44
Johanne Tournier

Hi, Neil 

I think you will be surprised to find out how user-friendly PG Offline is. And once you've got the messages and such, you will have a bit of time to set up the new list.

Do check out groups.io. I set up my new Lugosiphilia list on there yesterday after I finished downloading the messages, and it only took me a few minutes. It is very similar to Yahoogroups in many ways, but from what I saw when I looked through the Settings page, you have more options in the way you handle your subscriptions and your lists.

If you have any questions tomorrow, feel free to email me  offlist, if you wish.

Good luck!

Johanne

Sent: October 18, 2019 9:42 AM
To:

Neil

Sent from my iPad

2019-10-18 15:08:38
Hilary Jones
But does it allow you to then port them to another site, Johanne - which is what we want to do?
H
On Friday, 18 October 2019, 14:54:10 BST, Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

Hi, Neil 

I think you will be surprised to find out how user-friendly PG Offline is. And once you've got the messages and such, you will have a bit of time to set up the new list.

Do check out groups.io. I set up my new Lugosiphilia list on there yesterday after I finished downloading the messages, and it only took me a few minutes. It is very similar to Yahoogroups in many ways, but from what I saw when I looked through the Settings page, you have more options in the way you handle your subscriptions and your lists.

If you have any questions tomorrow, feel free to email me  offlist, if you wish.

Good luck!

Johanne

To:

Neil

Sent from my iPad

2019-10-18 15:27:57
Johanne Tournier

Hi, Hilary 

I haven't gotten to that part yet. But I have finished downloading all the messages (yesterday) and the Photos and Files (just now). Since they are stored on my computer, I'm assuming that you can do whatever you like with them, including uploading them to another site. But of course it is dangerous to assume anything. (😊) I will get back to you and let you know for sure.

The main thing is that Neil was under the impression (I gather from what he wrote earlier) that Yahoogroups wasn't allowing you to download your content from their site any more, and that is definitely not the case if you use PG Offline.

Bob on the lotr87 list was going to do both  he downloaded everything using PG Offline, but he also had a request in to Yahoogroups to provide the lotr87 data. When he had both he was going to compare them for utility. I also put in a request for my lugosiphila data to Yahoogroups, and all I got was the automatically-generated message telling me that they would contact me when the stuff was ready and that it could take up to 30 days. I don't think we have 30 days, so I'm glad that I found out about PG Offline!

Anyway, I will let you know how uploading the data goes when I get around to it!

Wish me luck!

Johanne

Sent: Friday, October 18, 2019 11:08:34 AM

But does it allow you to then port them to another site, Johanne - which is what we want to do?
H
On Friday, 18 October 2019, 14:54:10 BST, Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

Hi, Neil 

Good luck!

Johanne

To:

Neil

Sent from my iPad

2019-10-18 16:40:59
ricard1an
Thank you Neil much appreciated.
Mary