FW: [SciFi Discussion] O/T - Anyone still on YahooGroups?

FW: [SciFi Discussion] O/T - Anyone still on YahooGroups?

2019-10-16 18:37:24
Johanne Tournier

Hi, All 

The below email is from John T., the listowner of the Science Fiction discussion list I'm on. That list moved from Yahoogroups to groups.io last year. Anyway, John has posted the below suggesting that it might be a good idea to move off Yahoogroups now, as they are shutting down most of their features. I would suggest that it's a good idea to make sure that the list archives, photos and such are preserved for future reference. While I am fairly sure that groups.io was free when John made the move, I understand that now the free service is limited to 1GB of storage, which doesn't sound like a lot to me. If you want an automatic transfer service and more features, I understand that groups.io will be charging $110/year, and I personally would not be agreeable to paying for the service.

I can say that I as an individual member made the move from Yahoogroups to groups.io as a member of the SciFi discussion list without trouble.

What do you think? Should we do it now? (Of course there are other options besides groups.io; I just don't know what they are. 😊)

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: main@... <main@...> on behalf of John T <jtslists@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:40:58 AM
To: SF main <main@...>
Subject: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T - Anyone still on YahooGroups? Seriously... it is time to think of alternatives and Move your groups!
Sure glad we moved here... Yahoo is shutting down nearly all the
functions of Groups... they'll be basic Mailing Lists from now on
(straight email, no digests, no web features)... or until they close
them altogether :(

Please feel free to pass along the info below to anyone you think might
benefit:

Details on what is going away may be found here:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html

What features will go away?
Files
Polls
Links
Photos
Folders
Calendar
Database
Attachments
Conversations
Email Updates
Message Digest
Message History

What will happen to the site?
The Yahoo Groups site will continue to exist, however, all public groups
will be made private or restricted. Any new group members will need to
request an invite or be invited by an admin. Admins will still be able
to manage various group settings, though some functionality will be limited.

What will happen on October 21st?
On October 21st, you will no longer be able to upload any content to the
site. To share info with members of your groups, you'll continue to be
able to do so via email.

How can I keep my Yahoo Groups content?
Photos and files can be saved right from the Yahoo Groups site, or you
can download your data from the Privacy Dashboard.

Will I be able to use Yahoo Groups going forward?
You'll still be able to communicate with your groups via email and
search for private groups on the site. In addition, admins will continue
to have limited access to group settings and administration tools. _._,_._,_ Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#143816) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic

If you'd like to show your appreciation for this group, please Donate!
https://www.paypal.me/jtslists Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [jltournier60@...]
_._,_._,_

Re: FW: [SciFi Discussion] O/T - Anyone still on YahooGroups?

2019-10-16 19:45:47
mariewalsh2003

Thanks for the heads up, Johanne.

Neil had said he was looking into finding us a new home quite some while ago (a year?), but as far as I'm aware he's not reported back since. Perhaps one of us who's more computer-literate than I am could take this on? It would be a real shame for the forum to fold.

Marie

2019-10-16 20:10:27
Johanne Tournier

Hi, Marie 

Yes, Yahoogroups has been a bit iffy for some time now. It sounds like they are going to eliminate almost all the features you would want to have in a discussion list. I hope Neil will do something, as I'm on two other lists where it looks like I've got to be involved in trying to facilitate a transfer, and I will probably have to download the Files and Photos for at least one of the groups. So I don't think I will have time to do anything with regard to this group. But I agree that it is a valuable forum, and I don't know anything else like it. It would be a pity to have it fold! 9

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:19:30 PM
To: <>
Subject: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T - Anyone still on YahooGroups?

Neil had said he was looking into finding us a new home quite some while ago (a year?), but as far as I'm aware he's not reported back since. Perhaps one of us who's more computer-literate than I am could take this on? It would be a real shame for the forum to fold.

Marie

2019-10-16 20:24:46
A J Hibbard
Agree. Can't say that I understand what this is all about. I'm another Yahoo Forum, so if anything helpful turns up in discussion there, I'll share here...

A J

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 2:01 PM mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

Marie

2019-10-16 20:30:36
Pamela Bain
I sent your information to another group of which I am a member. I wish Yahoo Groups would stay as is. But, things seem to be changing in this big world!
On Oct 16, 2019, at 2:20 PM, Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

Hi, Marie 

Yes, Yahoogroups has been a bit iffy for some time now. It sounds like they are going to eliminate almost all the features you would want to have in a discussion list. I hope Neil will do something, as I'm on two other lists where it looks like I've got to be involved in trying to facilitate a transfer, and I will probably have to download the Files and Photos for at least one of the groups. So I don't think I will have time to do anything with regard to this group. But I agree that it is a valuable forum, and I don't know anything else like it. It would be a pity to have it fold! 9

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Marie

2019-10-16 20:35:29
Neil Trump
Hi everyone
I had looked at it about a year ago but since Yahoo still seemed to be serving us well and doing what I believe most people expected, I let it be.
I guess this could be crunch time and we need to decide what direction we go in. I am happy to look at IO which is where I planned on looking to go but open to other suggestions if you know of something equally good and suits our needs.
Regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPad
On 16 Oct 2019, at 20:01, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

ÿ

Marie

2019-10-16 20:35:46
Johanne Tournier

By all means, Pamela! John T., the originator, invited recipients to share it. I think it should be circulated as widely as possible.

Good luck! I know I would rather not have to do anything, but it sounds like that won't be possible.

TTFN 😊

Johanne

Sent: October 16, 2019 4:30 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T - Anyone still on YahooGroups?

I sent your information to another group of which I am a member. I wish Yahoo Groups would stay as is. But, things seem to be changing in this big world!

2019-10-16 20:36:37
Hilary Jones
I agree with all you say. We can't upload, access files etc. And no-one new joins us. Firstly we need to speak to Neil. I'll do that. Dare I stick my neck out and volunteer? Gulp! H

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 8:30 pm, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] <> wrote:

On Oct 16, 2019, at 2:20 PM, Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

Hi, Marie 

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Marie

2019-10-16 20:54:46
Johanne Tournier

Hi, Neil 

John T. On the SciFi_Discussion list made the switch to groups.io some time ago, as I mentioned, and it went pretty much without a hitch. The only thing I think may throw a monkey wrench in the works is that it sounds like now you only get the minimum service for free and they are trying to encourage people to pay. As I have said elsewhere, I really don't want to have to pay for the service.

BTW, a fellow on the lotr87 groups that I'm on says that he is currently using the Yahoogroup's automated download service for the group's data, so it is nice to know that that exists. But he mentioned that he doesn't know how well the data will transfer to a new service.

Besides groups.io, someone mentioned that there is a Google group service which seems to be working well, so I guess that might be another possibility.

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:29:55 PM

Hi everyone

I had looked at it about a year ago but since Yahoo still seemed to be serving us well and doing what I believe most people expected, I let it be.
I guess this could be crunch time and we need to decide what direction we go in. I am happy to look at IO which is where I planned on looking to go but open to other suggestions if you know of something equally good and suits our needs.
Regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

Marie

Re: FW: [SciFi Discussion] O/T -Anyone still on YahooGroups?

2019-10-16 21:23:41
Stephen
Neil: I think this needs to be expedited.

Sent: 16 October 2019 21:12
To:
Subject: RE: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T -Anyone still on YahooGroups?

By all means, Pamela! John T., the originator, invited recipients to share it. I think it should be circulated as widely as possible.

Good luck! I know I would rather not have to do anything, but it sounds like that won't be possible.

TTFN =

Johanne

To:

2019-10-16 21:24:03
Neil Trump
Hi Johanne,
I am on an io. group for another hobby and the list owner did say that he used a process to lift and shift the old group to io. I can contact him and see if he has the process and if it is valid then perhaps it is a consideration. I don't know how much data we have with respect to the limit of 1Gb but perhaps if we do the move I may consider paying the subscription to keep it going. It would then be nice to see if it can be promoted to attract new members.
Neil

Sent from my iPad
On 16 Oct 2019, at 20:54, Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

Hi, Neil 

John T. On the SciFi_Discussion list made the switch to groups.io some time ago, as I mentioned, and it went pretty much without a hitch. The only thing I think may throw a monkey wrench in the works is that it sounds like now you only get the minimum service for free and they are trying to encourage people to pay. As I have said elsewhere, I really don't want to have to pay for the service.

BTW, a fellow on the lotr87 groups that I'm on says that he is currently using the Yahoogroup's automated download service for the group's data, so it is nice to know that that exists. But he mentioned that he doesn't know how well the data will transfer to a new service.

Besides groups.io, someone mentioned that there is a Google group service which seems to be working well, so I guess that might be another possibility.

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Hi everyone

Regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

Marie

2019-10-16 22:16:50
Neil Trump
Hi,
Being emailing with my friend Ken and it seems the best option is to create a transfer of all the members and files to a new io group as a free option, based on the data set not being over 1Gb.
What Ken believes is not possible now is to download all the old messages and copy them over, which is a bit sad but then how often do people want to look back in the past at old messages?
Does this sound OK with people?
Regards
Neil

Sent from my iPad
On 16 Oct 2019, at 21:25, Stephen stephenmlark@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

To:

TTFN =

Johanne

To:

2019-10-16 23:44:11
Johanne Tournier

Hi, Neil 

Well, as I mentioned, my friend Bob, who is fairly familiar with this stuff and is a moderator on the lotr87 list wrote to that list earlier to say he was using Yahoogroups' automated facility for downloading the list data. I have asked him to give me a quick rundown on how to do that. Then at least someone might have all the old list material, and maybe it can be uploaded to the new list at some point.

No, you're right; I might never go looking at old list messages. But I'll bet some people here would. And if it includes any pics or other files that may have been uploaded, people might appreciate having them accessible. So if Bob gets back to me and lets me know how to do that, I will let you know.

Take care and good luck!

Johanne

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:16:47 PM
Subject: Re: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T -Anyone still on YahooGroups?

Hi,

Being emailing with my friend Ken and it seems the best option is to create a transfer of all the members and files to a new io group as a free option, based on the data set not being over 1Gb.
What Ken believes is not possible now is to download all the old messages and copy them over, which is a bit sad but then how often do people want to look back in the past at old messages?
Regards
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

To:

TTFN =

Johanne

To:

2019-10-16 23:47:13
Nance Crawford
Sad to say, I have to agree to move to io. It will be interesting to see how much 1Gb will prove to be. Nance ----- Original Message ----- From: Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> Reply-To: <> To: <> Sent: 10/16/2019 2:16:47 PM Subject: Re: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T -Anyone still on YahooGroups?

Hi,
Regards
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

To:

TTFN =

Johanne

To:

2019-10-17 00:40:53
Nance Crawford
Full disclosure: I value my long membership in the U.S. Society, and the friends I have found there, as I do the contributors here (several of whom I met at the Reburial). It might be a good idea to lose "Society" in the transfer - they are so not interested in being officially tied to this group. I'll be the first to volunteer a name suggestion: "Richard III Chroniclers Forum." There have to be at least a dozen members checking the forum regularly, who would be happy to contribute to the life of the group. You shouldn't have to bear the whole burden if it becomes a cost, Neil. Just sayin'. N ----- Original Message ----- From: Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> Reply-To: <> To: <> Sent: 10/16/2019 1:04:00 PM Subject: Re: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T - Anyone still on YahooGroups?

Hi Johanne,
I am on an io. group for another hobby and the list owner did say that he used a process to lift and shift the old group to io. I can contact him and see if he has the process and if it is valid then perhaps it is a consideration. I don't know how much data we have with respect to the limit of 1Gb but perhaps if we do the move I may consider paying the subscription to keep it going. It would then be nice to see if it can be promoted to attract new members.
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

Hi, Neil 

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Hi everyone

I had looked at it about a year ago but since Yahoo still seemed to be serving us well and doing what I believe most people expected, I let it be..
Regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

Marie

2019-10-17 01:23:23
A J Hibbard
I do actually look at old messages when I'm researching a topic, so would hate to see them go away.
A J

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 5:50 PM 'Nance Crawford' Nance@... [] <> wrote:

Sad to say, I have to agree to move to io. It will be interesting to see how much 1Gb will prove to be.   Nance     ----- Original Message ----- From: Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> Reply-To: <> To: <> Sent: 10/16/2019 2:16:47 PM Subject: Re: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T -Anyone still on YahooGroups?  

Hi,

Regards 
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ  

To:

TTFN =

Johanne

To:

2019-10-17 09:58:04
Johanne Tournier

Hi, Nance & Neil 

Well, Bob on lotr87 noted that everything that is currently stored for lotr87 is less than 1 GB, and I am sure that at its height there were a lot more messages per day than have ever been posted here  although the messages here are often quite long. But text doesn't actually take up that much space. They are going to go with the free service for the time being, so I think it would probably be OK for RIII, too.

I also agree, as someone suggested earlier, with a name change and drop Society from the list name, which if anything, is a bit misleading. I don't care whatever the change is made to, as long as Richard III's name is featured prominently. 😊

Johanne

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:46:39 PM

Sad to say, I have to agree to move to io. It will be interesting to see how much 1Gb will prove to be. Nance ----- Original Message ----- From: Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> Reply-To: <> To: <> Sent: 10/16/2019 2:16:47 PM Subject: Re: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T -Anyone still on YahooGroups?

Hi,

Regards
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

To:

TTFN =

Johanne

To:

2019-10-17 10:19:24
Hilary Jones
Hi Neil, the two most popular free forums on the web seem to be Proboards and Forumotion. The latter would probably suit us better because it doesn't carry advertising. I've had a quick look and you can customise it using themes just like you can customise websites with Wix etc. There's also a big section on importing posts and data as long as they have been saved in XML There are also guidelines on the web for downloading and archiving data from a forum which it seems to me we need to do sooner rather than later.
Personally I think it would be tragic to lose our back stuff. It's not a fun forum it's done some serious research. And it's a real pig when you can no longer upload stuff. I've been trying to upload a spreadsheet for about a year now and tried everything, including of course conversion to other formats. It just gets chucked out as malware. I haven't tried a photograph recently but I bet it would do the same with that. If I can help in any way let me know.
And I know this is contentious but there really should be facility to forward stuff to things like Facebook. Otherwise we will never be found by SEOs and we will never get the chance to invite people to join us. We will just wither on the vine. H

On Wednesday, 16 October 2019, 22:38:10 BST, Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> wrote:

Hi,

Regards
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

To:

TTFN =

Johanne

To:

2019-10-17 10:41:29
Hilary Jones
I didn't get the original message but on reading Wiki am I right in thinking that Yahoo will accept no new stuff (i.e. messages after 21 October)? So we have FOUR days to find a solution? This is worst than Brexit :) :) For a start we need a quick temporary solution to communication thereafter - I assume by our personal emails? I take it you have them all Neil? H (who doesn't usually panic)
On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 10:19:29 BST, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

Hi Neil, the two most popular free forums on the web seem to be Proboards and Forumotion. The latter would probably suit us better because it doesn't carry advertising. I've had a quick look and you can customise it using themes just like you can customise websites with Wix etc. There's also a big section on importing posts and data as long as they have been saved in XML There are also guidelines on the web for downloading and archiving data from a forum which it seems to me we need to do sooner rather than later.
Personally I think it would be tragic to lose our back stuff. It's not a fun forum it's done some serious research. And it's a real pig when you can no longer upload stuff. I've been trying to upload a spreadsheet for about a year now and tried everything, including of course conversion to other formats. It just gets chucked out as malware. I haven't tried a photograph recently but I bet it would do the same with that. If I can help in any way let me know.
And I know this is contentious but there really should be facility to forward stuff to things like Facebook. Otherwise we will never be found by SEOs and we will never get the chance to invite people to join us. We will just wither on the vine. H

On Wednesday, 16 October 2019, 22:38:10 BST, Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> wrote:

Hi,

Regards
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

To:

TTFN =

Johanne

To:

2019-10-17 10:48:29
Hilary Jones
I do agree about the name Nance. If you search for Richard III Forum it leads you up a blind alley, which is why we rarely get a new member. H
On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 00:40:56 BST, 'Nance Crawford' Nance@... [] <> wrote:

Full disclosure: I value my long membership in the U.S. Society, and the friends I have found there, as I do the contributors here (several of whom I met at the Reburial). It might be a good idea to lose "Society" in the transfer - they are so not interested in being officially tied to this group. I'll be the first to volunteer a name suggestion: "Richard III Chroniclers Forum." There have to be at least a dozen members checking the forum regularly, who would be happy to contribute to the life of the group. You shouldn't have to bear the whole burden if it becomes a cost, Neil. Just sayin'. N ----- Original Message ----- From: Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> Reply-To: <> To: <> Sent: 10/16/2019 1:04:00 PM Subject: Re: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T - Anyone still on YahooGroups?

Hi Johanne,

Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

Hi, Neil 

Good luck!

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Hi everyone

I had looked at it about a year ago but since Yahoo still seemed to be serving us well and doing what I believe most people expected, I let it be...
Regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPad

ÿ

Marie

2019-10-17 13:16:59
mariewalsh2003

Johanne wrote:

I also agree, as someone suggested earlier, with a name change and drop Society from the list name, which if anything, is a bit misleading. I don't care whatever the change is made to, as long as Richard III's name is featured prominently.

Marie adds:

Completely agree. This is not a Society forum any more: that is official. I think it is sad and should not have had to happen, but there you are.

Richard III Discussion Forum? Dull but accurate.

2019-10-17 13:18:10
mariewalsh2003

Marie:

Yikes!

[Hilary wrote:

I didn't get the original message but on reading Wiki am I right in thinking that Yahoo will accept no new stuff (i.e. messages after 21 October)? So we have FOUR days to find a solution? This is worst than Brexit :) :) For a start we need a quick temporary solution to communication thereafter - I assume by our personal emails? I take it you have them all Neil? H (who doesn't usually panic)]

2019-10-17 13:20:22
Hilary Jones
But spot on! H
On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 13:17:03 BST, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

Johanne wrote:

I also agree, as someone suggested earlier, with a name change and drop Society from the list name, which if anything, is a bit misleading. I don't care whatever the change is made to, as long as Richard III's name is featured prominently.

Marie adds:

Completely agree. This is not a Society forum any more: that is official. I think it is sad and should not have had to happen, but there you are.

2019-10-17 13:20:33
Alison Prater
Another group I'm on moved from Yahoo to io. There was a small fee but the process was quick and smooth.

Alison

Sent from my iPhone

2019-10-17 13:24:32
Hilary Jones
Yahoo is shutting down its Groups website and deleting all content

Your ancient posts will disappear on December 14th.

On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 13:18:37 BST, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

Marie:

Yikes!

[Hilary wrote:

I didn't get the original message but on reading Wiki am I right in thinking that Yahoo will accept no new stuff (i.e. messages after 21 October)? So we have FOUR days to find a solution? This is worst than Brexit :) :) For a start we need a quick temporary solution to communication thereafter - I assume by our personal emails? I take it you have them all Neil? H (who doesn't usually panic)]

2019-10-17 13:25:57
Hilary Jones
HELP!!!
On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 13:25:13 BST, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

Your ancient posts will disappear on December 14th.

On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 13:18:37 BST, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

Marie:

Yikes!

[Hilary wrote:

2019-10-17 17:03:30
mariewalsh2003

I've posted some messages which haven't come through.

Is this Yahoo or what??

Marie

2019-10-17 17:48:34
Pamela Bain
Maybe, as I sent info on Yahoo to another group, and the moderator sent an email which never showed up.
On Oct 17, 2019, at 11:03 AM, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

ÿ

I've posted some messages which haven't come through.

Is this Yahoo or what??

Marie

2019-10-17 19:34:29
Neil Trump
Hi
I am going to spend Saturday looking at how I can download the membership list and the data so I have it safe
Ken did say that he believes they have stopped the ability to download all the messages, but I will have a look and see if this is true or not
Neil

Sent from my iPhone
On 17 Oct 2019, at 13:17, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

2019-10-17 19:50:13
Johanne Tournier
Hi, Neil 

BTW, apologies if I sound a little bit presumptuous in my earlier messages that were cross-posted to Lugosiphilia. I am the listowner of that list, so it's pretty much up to me to decide how to handle the situation. That is not the case with this group, although I hope some of what I've written and cross-posted has been helpful  but I will certainly go along with whatever you decide in this, as long as the list will continue in Richard's name.

Now, regarding downloading, you may not have seen what I posted earlier. Apparently this software is available for a 14-day free trial and Bob on lotr87 indicates that he has been using it to download the lotr87 messages, and he says it is working great. So I hope that will still be available to us!

Good luck!

Johanne

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

From: Neil Trump neil.trump@... []<mailto:Neil%20Trump%20neil.trump@...%20[]>
Sent: October 17, 2019 3:38 PM
To: <mailto:>

Hi

I am going to spend Saturday looking at how I can download the membership list and the data so I have it safe

Ken did say that he believes they have stopped the ability to download all the messages, but I will have a look and see if this is true or not

Neil
Sent from my iPhone

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

2019-10-17 19:55:44
Johanne Tournier
Oops! Forgot the info about the download software. It is called PG Offline and is available here:

http://www.personalgroupware.com/downloads.htm

I think I got the URL correct.

Good luck! =

Johanne

Sent: October 17, 2019 3:53 PM

Hi, Neil 

BTW, apologies if I sound a little bit presumptuous in my earlier messages that were cross-posted to Lugosiphilia. I am the listowner of that list, so it's pretty much up to me to decide how to handle the situation. That is not the case with this group, although I hope some of what I've written and cross-posted has been helpful  but I will certainly go along with whatever you decide in this, as long as the list will continue in Richard's name.

Now, regarding downloading, you may not have seen what I posted earlier. Apparently this software is available for a 14-day free trial and Bob on lotr87 indicates that he has been using it to download the lotr87 messages, and he says it is working great. So I hope that will still be available to us!

Good luck!

Johanne

From: Neil Trump neil.trump@... []<mailto:Neil%20Trump%20neil.trump@...%20[]>
Sent: October 17, 2019 3:38 PM

Hi

Neil
Sent from my iPhone

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

2019-10-17 20:18:15
Hilary Jones
Neil, if you look online I think you will find that the data is still available until December 2019 But we can't communicate through Yahoo after 20th which is Saturday. I thought you had our email lists. The priority is to enable communication from 21st some way or other, even if it's only only as emails cc d. Perhaps we should send your our email addresses? Mine is above.
I don't think this should be rushed, just keep us communicating. It's the opportunity to build a new good forum site, not some bodged job because we're panicking (says she who is panicking about communication). If we rush this and don't do something a bit more stylish (if that's the word) we will sink even deeper into obscurity. So the priority is to keep us going for the time being whilst we decide on our future web presence strategy. And it looks as though we have a bit more time to do that. H
On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 19:38:52 BST, Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> wrote:

Hi

Neil

Sent from my iPhone

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

2019-10-17 20:22:59
Hilary Jones
So forgot to say - we need to know how to communicate from 21st onwards. H (Sorry 20 is Sunday)
On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 20:18:21 BST, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

Neil, if you look online I think you will find that the data is still available until December 2019 But we can't communicate through Yahoo after 20th which is Saturday. I thought you had our email lists. The priority is to enable communication from 21st some way or other, even if it's only only as emails cc d. Perhaps we should send your our email addresses? Mine is above.
I don't think this should be rushed, just keep us communicating. It's the opportunity to build a new good forum site, not some bodged job because we're panicking (says she who is panicking about communication). If we rush this and don't do something a bit more stylish (if that's the word) we will sink even deeper into obscurity. So the priority is to keep us going for the time being whilst we decide on our future web presence strategy. And it looks as though we have a bit more time to do that. H
On Thursday, 17 October 2019, 19:38:52 BST, Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> wrote:

Hi

Neil

Sent from my iPhone

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

Richard III Discussion Forum? Dull but accurate..

2019-10-17 22:04:48
Nicholas Brown
Hi, I'm on holiday and have just picked this up. I never thought this would happen so soon, but I hope we find another home soon. I rather like the Richard III Chroniclers' suggestion. Possibly we could add formerly the RIII Society Forum' so that current members know that the forum is still going. Nico

On Thursday, October 17, 2019, 8:31 pm, Neil Trump neil.trump@... [] <> wrote:

Hi

Neil

Sent from my iPhone

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

2019-10-17 23:24:26
Nance Crawford
Who's going to stop us? Go for it! ----- Original Message ----- From: Nicholas Brown nico11238@... [] <> Reply-To: <> To: <> Sent: 10/17/2019 2:04:38 PM Subject: Re: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T -Anyone still on YahooGroups?

Hi, I'm on holiday and have just picked this up. I never thought this would happen so soon, but I hope we find another home soon. I rather like the Richard III Chroniclers' suggestion. Possibly we could add formerly the RIII Society Forum' so that current members know that the forum is still going. Nico

Hi

Neil

Sent from my iPhone

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

2019-10-17 23:46:36
Pamela Bain
Agree!!

Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 17, 2019, at 5:25 PM, 'Nance Crawford' Nance@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

Who's going to stop us? Go for it! ----- Original Message ----- From: Nicholas Brown nico11238@... [] <> Reply-To: <> To: <> Sent: 10/17/2019 2:04:38 PM Subject: Re: Re: FW: [SciFi_Discussion] O/T -Anyone still on YahooGroups?

Hi, I'm on holiday and have just picked this up. I never thought this would happen so soon, but I hope we find another home soon. I rather like the Richard III Chroniclers' suggestion. Possibly we could add formerly the RIII Society Forum' so that current members know that the forum is still going.

Nico

Hi

Neil

Sent from my iPhone

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

Completely agree. This is not a Society forum any more: that is official.. I think it is sad and should not have had to happen, but there you are.

2019-10-18 09:53:34
Hilary Jones
Neil just quick thought (and not a lot of work), is it worth putting out an email to members with the headline something like Urgent Forum not available from 21st October. There might be others, like Nico, on holiday or who've not read it because they think we're talking about web issues. Certainly, we've not heard from Doug, Paul or Mary since this was revealed. And there are other 'watchers' of course. H

Hi

Neil

Sent from my iPhone

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

2019-10-18 11:03:29
Hilary Jones
Actually as of today Yahoo are now saying 28 October for no new messages. A bit more time.I looked at the files and they are quite small - only 71 mb so we could download the ones we want to keep for ourselves without too much effort. It's the messages which seem to be the problem and although there's a lot of advice out there I've yet to find anyone who's done it successfully recently. Yahoo seem to keep changing the goalposts. But we have got till December to get them if we set up a new forum in the meantime - which in theory should only take minutes. But which host to choose .....?? Good Luck Neil. H
On Friday, 18 October 2019, 09:53:41 BST, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

Neil just quick thought (and not a lot of work), is it worth putting out an email to members with the headline something like Urgent Forum not available from 21st October. There might be others, like Nico, on holiday or who've not read it because they think we're talking about web issues. Certainly, we've not heard from Doug, Paul or Mary since this was revealed. And there are other 'watchers' of course. H

Hi

Neil

Sent from my iPhone

ÿ

Johanne wrote:

Marie adds:

2019-10-18 12:07:24
ricard1an
Just to say that I am following the messages and I agree that we ought to find a new site. As I am not very technical I would support Neil and everyone else on the forum whose knowledge is greater than mine. We should definitely keep this forum as the quality and the sheer amount of research is fantastic.
Mary

2019-10-18 12:18:01
Hilary Jones
Hi Mary good to know you're there! From what I've found out it's pretty simple to set up another hosted Forum pretty fast - I mean literally in minutes, I had a go. But some 'free' ones now appear to have hidden costs - good luck Neil, we'll abide your choice.
The issue seems to be the porting of the old message files which Yahoo seems to be making difficult, but there is until December so I suggest we manage without if we can for the time being but that's up to everyone on here. As Johanne says, the uploaded files are quite doable and there's not that many of them.
So cautiously I think we'll be all right - and much better off in the long-run. H
On Friday, 18 October 2019, 12:07:37 BST, maryfriend@... [] <> wrote:

Just to say that I am following the messages and I agree that we ought to find a new site. As I am not very technical I would support Neil and everyone else on the forum whose knowledge is greater than mine. We should definitely keep this forum as the quality and the sheer amount of research is fantastic.

Mary

2019-10-18 23:01:32
Doug Stamate
Hilary, I'm still here, just haven't had any idea of how to help! I imagine Neil has my internet address, but just in case it's: destama@... Doug Hilary wrote: Neil just quick thought (and not a lot of work), is it worth putting out an email to members with the headline something like Urgent Forum not available from 21st October. There might be others, like Nico, on holiday or who've not read it because they think we're talking about web issues. Certainly, we've not heard from Doug, Paul or Mary since this was revealed. And there are other 'watchers' of course.
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

2019-10-18 23:04:03
Doug Stamate
I'll second you, Mary! Especially that last sentence! Doug Mary wrote: Just to say that I am following the messages and I agree that we ought to find a new site. As I am not very technical I would support Neil and everyone else on the forum whose knowledge is greater than mine. We should definitely keep this forum as the quality and the sheer amount of research is fantastic.
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.