Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Portrait of Richard

2018-12-10 18:34:53
justcarol67
Does anyone know where this sweet-faced portrait of Richard comes from? I found it on a Facebook site called "Richard III and His Times": https://www.facebook.com/135541839971118/photos/a.135561139969188/135561143302521/?type=1&theater

Carol

Re: Portrait of Richard

2018-12-10 21:00:23
eva.pitter@ymail.com
According to the catalog of the 1973 Exhibition at the NPG " it is late 16th or even possibly early 17th century".It belongs to the Earl of Bradford. "The soft, almost idealised facial modeling of the Eton and Bradford Portraits put them in a group apart". I think that this portrait was painted after the end of the Tudor Dynastywhen it was save to create a positive image of Richard. IMHO the unknown artist overdid the sweetness a bit.

Eva

2018-12-10 23:22:30
A J Hibbard
This portrait has been described as "Portrait of Richard III, Italian School (16th century) © The Trustees of the Weston Park Foundation, UK / The Bridgeman Art Library."

I've also seen the comment that it had not been "ascribed" correctly, so has never had any doctoring.

It is, as previously noted, included in Pamela Tudor-Craig's catalog to the Richard III Exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in 1973.  She shows a photo of this version with caption "Earl of Bradford, Weston Park, c 1600." It's a dark-ish B/W photo but I think I can just make out the letters "Ricard." 
Further --
Late 16th or even possibly early 17th century Inscription: 'Ricardo III' in roman capitals across background as in Eton portrait.Literature: Catalogue of Autumn Arts Festival, Stoke Prior Brushworks, Bromsgrove, Worc, 8-16 Oct 1966, p 14, no 25 & pl 25. E Craft-Murray, Decorative Painting in England 1537-1837, vol 1 (1962), p 176. Roy Strong, Tudor & Jacobean Portraits, HMSO (1969), p 264.Provenance: Weston Hall, as part of frieze of dining room until 1781. Lent by the Rt Hon the Earl of Bradford, TD, JPRing of St George variant, type 3. Facial type extremely close to the Eton portrait (no P13). Thumb ring has become armorial, as at Eton (Cross of St George). Ring on fourth finger has become Yorkist Rose. Hat badge misinterpreted. Face of soft type like Eton and ex coll Sir George Bellew (pl 34). Sleeves misunderstood.
A J

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 3:29 PM eva.pitter@... [] <> wrote:

According to the catalog of the 1973 Exhibition at the NPG " it is late 16th or even possibly early 17th century".It belongs to the Earl of Bradford. "The soft, almost idealised facial modeling of the Eton  and Bradford Portraits put them in a group apart". I think that this portrait was painted after the end of the Tudor Dynastywhen it was save to create a positive image of Richard. IMHO the unknown artist overdid the sweetness a bit.

Eva

2018-12-11 17:30:06
justcarol67
Eva wrote:

"According to the catalog of the 1973 Exhibition at the NPG " it is late 16th or even possibly early 17th century".It belongs to the Earl of Bradford. "The soft, almost idealised facial modeling of the Eton and Bradford Portraits put them in a group apart". I think that this portrait was painted after the end of the Tudor Dynastywhen it was save to create a positive image of Richard. IMHO the unknown artist overdid the sweetness a bit."

Carol responds;

Thanks very much, Eva. Do you have a link where I can find this information? I agree that the sweetness is slightly overdone, but it seems to indicate that someone in the 17th century thought Richard should be rehabilitated.

Carol

2018-12-11 19:42:48
eva.pitter@ymail.com
Carol wrote:

Thanks very much, Eva. Do you have a link where I can find this information? I agree that the sweetness is slightly overdone, but it seems to indicate that someone in the 17th century thought Richard should be rehabilitated.
Eva responds:
My information comes from Pamela Tudor-Craig's Catalog, which I bought ages ago in the Museum Shopof the NPG. I am really glad to own this catalog. AJ has sent you the text regarding this portrait from the NPG catalog in her post. The sentence about the soft facial modelling comes from Tudor-Craig's desciption of the Eton portrait.By the way you can find this portrait under " Photos" in this Forum. I agree with you that this it was probably made to rehabilitate Richard's appearance.
Eva