Richard III Research and Discussion Archive.

EV at Ludlow

EV at Ludlow

2018-05-16 16:38:33
Nance Crawford
Mary and Hilary, Brilliant suggestions! I wish I had had the advantage of knowledge, and access to your sources, before I went back to finish the play - these very ideas could make a world of difference. Is either of you contemplating writing articles or a book? N Hilary wrote: Mary you've reminded me of one other thing.
When you look at the boy Edward's signature it's poor isn't it, certainly nothing like Uncle Richard's beautiful hand? Now this is a boy who has been tutored for years in preparation for becoming king. I know I often draw parallels with Edward VI, but the two boys Had a very similar upbringing; unlike Edward IV, Richard or even HT they were trained to be king from birth. Yet compare the 12 year old Edward's hand with that of 9 year old Edward VI (who was writing copiously by then) and you do begin to wonder whether there was indeed something not quite right with Edward and that was why he was kept out of the public eye for so long? It might also explain why the Council were so ready/relieved with the 'excuse' to take on Richard? H
On Tuesday, 15 May 2018, 16:28:09 BST, maryfriend@... [] <> wrote:
Doug and Nico thank you for your last posts. Why have we not thought about this previously? Of course Edward would be suffering from being cut off from his family, however, we have always been told that nice , cultured Uncle Anthony was looking after him and now thanks to Marie we know that Uncle Anthony was hardly ever in Ludlow. He would have been attached to Thomas Vaughan and when he was arrested it would surely have affected Edward. Do we know whether or not he had some young companions at Ludlow? If not life must have been quite boring. While we know that Edward had Edmund when he lived at Ludlow and Richard had Francis Lovell and other companions we seem to know very little about young Edward's life at Ludlow.
Mary

Re: EV at Ludlow

2018-05-16 16:53:51
A J Hibbard
There's a (to me) surprising reference in one of the HMC volumes to a visit by Elizabeth Woodville & her son Edward to somewhere in eastern England in one of those compilations of town records.

I'm sorry to say that that's all I remember about it. If I can think of a keyword to search on I may be able to find it again. Perhaps Prince Edward was out & about more than we generally think.

Or (shudder) I suppose I could look at Hicks' biography to see if he also found that reference.

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:37 AM, 'Nance Crawford' Nance@... [] <> wrote:

Mary and Hilary,   Brilliant suggestions! I wish I had had the advantage of knowledge, and access to your sources, before I went back to finish the play - these very ideas could make a world of difference. Is either of you contemplating writing articles or a book?   N     Hilary wrote: Mary you've reminded me of one other thing. 
When you look at the boy Edward's signature it's poor isn't it, certainly nothing like Uncle Richard's beautiful hand? Now this is a boy who has been tutored for years in preparation for becoming king. I know I often draw parallels with Edward VI, but the two boys Had a very similar upbringing; unlike Edward IV, Richard or even HT they were trained to be king from birth. Yet compare the 12 year old Edward's hand with that of 9 year old Edward VI (who was writing copiously by then) and you do begin to wonder whether there was indeed something not quite right with Edward and that was why he was kept out of the public eye for so long?  It might also explain why the Council were so ready/relieved with the 'excuse' to take on Richard?  H
On Tuesday, 15 May 2018, 16:28:09 BST, maryfriend@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:
Doug and Nico thank you for your last posts. Why have we not thought about this previously? Of course Edward would be suffering from being cut off from his family, however, we have always been told that nice , cultured Uncle Anthony was looking after him and now thanks to Marie we know that Uncle Anthony was hardly ever in Ludlow. He would have been attached to Thomas Vaughan and when he was arrested it would surely have affected Edward. Do we know whether or not he had some young companions at Ludlow? If not life must have been quite boring. While we know that Edward had Edmund when he lived at Ludlow and Richard had Francis Lovell and other companions we seem to know very little about young Edward's life at Ludlow.
Mary

Re: EV at Ludlow

2018-05-16 21:20:55
ricard1an
There is the tradition in the Tyrrell family that Audrey Williamson wrote about. That the Princes were at Gipping with their mother by permission of the Uncle. Though this would obviously be after Edward's death not before.
Mary
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.