Kneeling Mothers

Kneeling Mothers

2018-03-01 22:10:53
Nance Crawford
Mary wrote: There was also a story that she made Cecily kneel before her and kept her kneeling for quite some time. It is some time since I read about this so I may not be absolutely accurate. Hi, Mary - I read that, too - and can't remember where (Kendall?) - but I heard it was EW's mother who was kept kneeling throughout a (Coronation?) banquet. I can't imagine Proud Cis staying on her knees for a second (if she would even get down to do it) - EW certainly didn't outrank her husband's mother, although her own mother . . . Quite a crew, the lot. Nance

Re: Kneeling Mothers

2018-03-02 10:10:50
Pamela Furmidge
I thought it was Margaret of York who had to kneel while the queen ate.
----Original message----
Date : 01/03/2018 - 22:09 (GMTST)
To :
Subject : Kneeling Mothers

Mary wrote:
There was also a story that she made Cecily kneel before her and kept her kneeling for quite some time. It is some time since I read about this so I may not be absolutely accurate.
Hi, Mary - I read that, too - and can't remember where (Kendall?) - but I heard it was EW's mother who was kept kneeling throughout a (Coronation?) banquet. I can't imagine Proud Cis staying on her knees for a second (if she would even get down to do it) - EW certainly didn't outrank her husband's mother, although her own mother . . . Quite a crew, the lot.
Nance

2018-03-02 22:01:20
Nicholas Brown

I just had a look at the David Baldwin book and it was an account of the the churching ceremony after Elizabeth of York's birth by Gabriel Tetzel, a visitor from Bohemia. He said that her attendants (who were from the nobility) had to kneel while EW, Jacquetta, 'the King's sister' (Margaret?) and some other Royals ate a 3 hour meal in silence. Tetzel was surprised by this, but Baldwin says that she wasn't being pompous, but only following tradition.
Was this the normal procedure for churching ceremonies? Is there anything to compare it to?
Nico

On Friday, 2 March 2018, 10:10:54 GMT, Pamela Furmidge pamela.furmidge@... [] <> wrote:

----Original message----
To :

Mary wrote:
There was also a story that she made Cecily kneel before her and kept her kneeling for quite some time. It is some time since I read about this so I may not be absolutely accurate.
Hi, Mary - I read that, too - and can't remember where (Kendall?) - but I heard it was EW's mother who was kept kneeling throughout a (Coronation?) banquet. I can't imagine Proud Cis staying on her knees for a second (if she would even get down to do it) - EW certainly didn't outrank her husband's mother, although her own mother . . . Quite a crew, the lot.
Nance

2018-03-02 23:05:31
Nance Crawford
Thank you, Nico! Hope someone can clarify. N ----- Original Message ----- From: Nicholas Brown nico11238@... [] <> Reply-To: <> To: <> Sent: 3/2/2018 2:01:14 PM Subject: Re: Kneeling Mothers

I just had a look at the David Baldwin book and it was an account of the the churching ceremony after Elizabeth of York's birth by Gabriel Tetzel, a visitor from Bohemia. He said that her attendants (who were from the nobility) had to kneel while EW, Jacquetta, 'the King's sister' (Margaret?) and some other Royals ate a 3 hour meal in silence. Tetzel was surprised by this, but Baldwin says that she wasn't being pompous, but only following tradition.
Was this the normal procedure for churching ceremonies? Is there anything to compare it to?
Nico

On Friday, 2 March 2018, 10:10:54 GMT, Pamela Furmidge pamela.furmidge@... [] <> wrote:

----Original message----
To :

Mary wrote:
Nance

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.