Richard III Research and Discussion Archive.

Fwd: Splendid?

Fwd: Splendid?

2017-11-13 16:01:59
Paul Trevor Bale
> A promo for The White Princess says after the  splendid series The White Queen.
> Must have seen something else as splendid is one of the last words I would ever use to describe that dreadful mess that was thrown together from Philippa Gregory's rewriting of history.
> Can't wait to miss this sequel!
> About the women  struggling for power after the WOTR.
> Right.
> Paul
>

Re: Fwd: Splendid?

2017-11-14 15:54:22
Karen O
 Those reviews are mostly bought and paid for. Phillipa knows what she's doing. Its propaganda that sells. Now people are asking different questions and questioning what they learned in school. I see it all the time in blogs and on Facebook.   The truth is people are seldom moved by logic. Emotions move us. That's why Shakespeare's play was so valuable to the Tudor myth. We are emotional creatures. A good yarn makes us pay attention, not a documentary.
On Nov 13, 2017 11:02 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... []" <> wrote:

> A promo for The White Princess says after the  splendid series The White Queen.
> Must have seen something else as splendid is one of the last words I would ever use to describe that dreadful mess that was thrown together from Philippa Gregory's rewriting of history.
> Right.
> Paul
>

2017-11-14 16:55:20
Paul Trevor Bale
Yes and that's what upsets me most about Gregory, she changes history to suit her own agenda, when the history itself is already a damn good yarn that doesn't need changing or embellishing, or sexing up!Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 14 nov. 2017 à 16:54, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> a écrit :

Those reviews are mostly bought and paid for. Phillipa knows what she's doing. Its propaganda that sells. Now people are asking different questions and questioning what they learned in school. I see it all the time in blogs and on Facebook. The truth is people are seldom moved by logic. Emotions move us. That's why Shakespeare's play was so valuable to the Tudor myth. We are emotional creatures. A good yarn makes us pay attention, not a documentary.
On Nov 13, 2017 11:02 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... []" <> wrote:

> Right.
> Paul
>

2017-11-14 16:59:01
Karen O
  Not to argue with you but most people find history an irrelevant bore. Sad but true. TWQ couldn't even put the women in proper head gear. Why? Because they wanted their audience to identify with "real" people. It's a fantasy. 
On Nov 14, 2017 11:55 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... []" <> wrote:

Yes and that's what upsets me most about Gregory, she changes history to suit her own agenda, when the history itself is already a damn good yarn that doesn't need changing or embellishing, or sexing up!Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 14 nov. 2017 à 16:54, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> a écrit :

Those reviews are mostly bought and paid for. Phillipa knows what she's doing. Its propaganda that sells. Now people are asking different questions and questioning what they learned in school. I see it all the time in blogs and on Facebook.   The truth is people are seldom moved by logic. Emotions move us. That's why Shakespeare's play was so valuable to the Tudor myth. We are emotional creatures. A good yarn makes us pay attention, not a documentary.
On Nov 13, 2017 11:02 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... []" <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Right.
> Paul
>

Re: Splendid?

2017-11-14 22:29:16
Paul Trevor Bale
Dress it up like Game of Thrones and they won't find it boring!And thats basically the WOTR but with dragons and zombies! :-)
On 14 Nov 2017, at 17:58, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> wrote:

Not to argue with you but most people find history an irrelevant bore. Sad but true. TWQ couldn't even put the women in proper head gear. Why? Because they wanted their audience to identify with "real" people. It's a fantasy.
On Nov 14, 2017 11:55 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... []" <> wrote:

Yes and that's what upsets me most about Gregory, she changes history to suit her own agenda, when the history itself is already a damn good yarn that doesn't need changing or embellishing, or sexing up!

Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 14 nov. 2017 à 16:54, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> a écrit :

Those reviews are mostly bought and paid for. Phillipa knows what she's doing. Its propaganda that sells. Now people are asking different questions and questioning what they learned in school. I see it all the time in blogs and on Facebook. The truth is people are seldom moved by logic. Emotions move us. That's why Shakespeare's play was so valuable to the Tudor myth. We are emotional creatures. A good yarn makes us pay attention, not a documentary.
On Nov 13, 2017 11:02 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... []" <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Right.
> Paul
>

2017-11-25 03:29:18
poohlandeva
I have seen the first two episodes of the White Princess and you are not missing anything. It is so bad that it's on Drama and hasn't been on the BBC unlike the White Queen. The White Queen had its faults, with every female Woodville family member being a witch but it wasn't bad as a drama. The White Princess is a Philippa Gregory fantasy extravagance. I was aware of its faults, because I have read the book, in a moment of extreme insanity. The only book worse than this is The Other Boleyn Girl.
I was screaming at the TV after 15_minutes or maybe for the first 15 minutes. The only historical fact in the first two episodes was the marriage of Elizabeth of York and Henry Vii. EW played by a different actress has aged 10 years in two days, there was the rape of Elizabeth of York, for which there is no evidence, she is a plant to bring down Tudor, the murder of the entire household were she was living, the which theme continues, Henry is a twit, Elizabeth was sleeping with Richard iii, with whom she is still in love after his terrible death at Bosworth and she was the victory prize, she wasn't in York with her husband and she has had the longest pregnancy in history. Elizabeth is also a spoilt brat and wanted to kill her unborn child. She then turns suddenly into a female champion of the poor, which is good for Henry and they find common ground.
Few of the original actresses and actors are playing the survivors of Bosworth. Margaret Beaufort is now played by the actress from GOT who played Lady Stark, very strong replacement, but the others are quite weak, giving the entire drama a very wishy washy feel. I don't know why I am even watching it. Something to do on a cold night. Seriously you have missed nothing.
Philippa Gregory does know what she's doing, normally, but this isn't even well written. I gave this book away. I know she loves to promote her wacky theories as history, even when there is clear evidence against them, but usually she makes an effort to at least write it well. This gave the impression of being banged out in a rush, just to do a sequel. The book came out right at the end of the White Queen which combines three books from her Cousins War series, but with this you can see a slip and the drama is even worse. The Other Boleyn Girl with her theory that Anne Boleyn slept with her brother in order to have a child was just nuts, especially as it has been shown to be untrue and the evidence for a deformed child was written 60 years later. This is what she does, gets a wacky theory, makes it more sexy, runs with it and adds some fantasy twist to back it up. The more scandalous the better. It doesn't matter if it's true as she is writing fiction, until she claims her fictional stories are fact. In the White Princess it is obvious that Gregory either doesn't care that 90% is rubbish or hoped nobody would actually notice.

2017-11-25 14:58:48
ricard1an
Really glad that I decided not to watch it. Thank you for the review. I hope that your TV survives.
Mary
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.