Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Treason

2017-11-06 11:47:58
Paul Trevor Bale
Interesting on seeing the names of those involved in the treason of the Gunpowder plot, courtesy of the brilliant BBC drama Gunpowder, just finished this past weekend.
Those plotting to get rid of the ( at the time) legitimate monarch were:-
Catesby, Stanley, Percy, and Northumberland.
Now where have I heard those names involved in plotting treason before............?
Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad

Re: Treason

2017-11-06 16:13:07
ricard1an
Maybe it is in their genes!! Very odd though that they should be involved perhaps they were trying to make up for the catastrophic mistake that their ancestors made in 1485.
Mary

2017-11-06 16:25:49
Karen O
  I'm wondering. Did anyone during the Tudor years ever express this,? Dangerous, too dangerous.
On Nov 6, 2017 11:13 AM, "maryfriend@... []" <> wrote:

Maybe it is in their genes!! Very odd though that they should be involved perhaps they were trying to make up for the catastrophic mistake that their ancestors made in 1485.
Mary

2017-11-06 22:13:51
Durose David
There is more.The John Egremont who led the Yorkshire revolt against HT's taxation was actually a Percy. He benefited from the death of the Earl...
David

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 at 16:25, Karen O karenoder4@... []<> wrote:

I'm wondering. Did anyone during the Tudor years ever express this,? Dangerous, too dangerous.

Mary

2017-11-06 22:25:53
Hilary Jones
Hang on for a minute folks. The ancestors of Richard's supporters, Constable and Aske, suffered excruciating deaths for their defense of what we now call Catholicism. Are we actually supporting the rather horrible James, who like HT, had no real claim to the throne other than that established by HT and his father who just wanted a divorce?
Personally I think we should be applauding the bravery of those who dared to dream of bringing England back to the proper faith. Sorry! H (who isn't a Catholic)
On Monday, 6 November 2017, 22:13:55 GMT, Durose David daviddurose2000@... [] <> wrote:

There is more.The John Egremont who led the Yorkshire revolt against HT's taxation was actually a Percy. He benefited from the death of the Earl...
David

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 at 16:25, Karen O karenoder4@... []<> wrote:

Mary

2017-11-06 22:53:10
ricard1an
My thoughts were that maybe they were trying to get rid of the Stuarts who were descended from the Tudors who their ancestors had helped to usurp the throne of the rightful King. It is all supposition of course. The names are a bit of a coincidence.
Mary

2017-11-06 23:56:18
Pamela Bain
As many have said, multiple times, it was a tangle in Britain, as well as with many other counties and royals playing chess with real people!
On Nov 6, 2017, at 4:53 PM, maryfriend@... [] <> wrote:

My thoughts were that maybe they were trying to get rid of the Stuarts who were descended from the Tudors who their ancestors had helped to usurp the throne of the rightful King. It is all supposition of course. The names are a bit of a coincidence.

Mary

2017-11-07 09:23:32
Hilary Jones
Whether by co-incidence or design a lot of families who supported Richard did find themselves on the wrong side of the Law under the Tudors, particularly after the Reformation. It could be that he actually attracted people who had a strong religious conscience like himself and their commitment continued to cascade down through the years? Look at the Howards.
I liked your point about genes. As you know, I have records of an awful lot of families and what does occur to me sometimes is that there is some sort of intellectual gene, often subconsciously centred around risk. To give you a non-religious or treasonable example, several families from Cornwall and the North re-located and invested in sheep in the Burton Dassett Hills - right next to EB and Catesby's lands. Even MB and Reggie had a flutter. Some became very famous and are now household names - Raleigh, Spencer and er Washington. As part of another exercise I looked at the not so famous families who re-located with them and was staggered to find the number of future Governors of Virginia and Massachusetts who came from there in the early 1600s. If I had another 12 hours in the day I could write a book on it. And one can forget the persecuted poor people in the Mayflower, these were younger sons of the gentry who financed their own expeditions.
So, I think there is something, yes, when it is given the right external trigger. H
On Monday, 6 November 2017, 22:53:14 GMT, maryfriend@... [] <> wrote:

Mary

2017-11-07 09:23:55
Hilary Jones
That's a good point Pamela! H
On Monday, 6 November 2017, 23:56:21 GMT, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] <> wrote:

As many have said, multiple times, it was a tangle in Britain, as well as with many other counties and royals playing chess with real people!

Mary

2017-11-07 12:15:32
Nicholas Brown
Absolutely fantastic series. I do wish the BBC would do more of what they do best. The Catesby link is interesting as well as all the connections to York and Yorkshire in general. The Stuarts may have just been seen as the inheritors of the weak link of the Tudors by families who had been loyal to Richard, and family history passed down the generations could have played a big part.
Nico

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 09:28:31 GMT, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

That's a good point Pamela! H
On Monday, 6 November 2017, 23:56:21 GMT, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] <> wrote:

Mary