Could Edward IV have been poisoned?

Could Edward IV have been poisoned?

2017-10-24 19:18:34
Karen O
  In the book "Secret History of Richard III" there is a chapter laying out the case for the poisoning of Edward IV. It goes something like this.  Edward eats a gargantuan meal with trusty buddies A Woodville, Vaughn and Grey I think.  Only Edward gets sick. He is given emetics and recovers in eight days. He repeats the feast with the same buddies gets sick again and dies. The next chapter goes well into the strange behavior of Anthony Woodville. He behaved as though he knew the King would die.   Modern doctors given this scenario immediately suspected poisoning.

Re: Could Edward IV have been poisoned?

2017-10-26 23:04:09
ricard1an
Karen are you referring to the Death of Edward IV by Richard Collins? I don't think that it says that Edward had a gargantuan meal with Anthony Rivers, Vaughan and Grey because at the time of Edward's death they were in Ludlow in the Prince of Wales'household and he was in London. Collins speculates that the Woodvilles could have been involved in a plot to kill Edward because he was no longer the goose that laid the golden eggs for the Woodvilles and that they thought that they would have more power if he was dead and Edward V was king. Anthony Woodville did get up to a few odd things in the weeks before Edward's death, like writing to Dymock his agent asking for letters to prove he had the right to raise troops in Wales and giving his post as Deputy Constable of the Tower to his nephew Dorset. He also speculates that it could have been arsenic poisoning that killed Edward because he was ill and then recovered and then relapsed and died a few days later. He based the arsenic theory on conversations he had with hospital consultants he was working with at the time. Of course as they were all in Ludlow it would have been La Woodville and her son Dorset who probably would have had to be responsible for administering the arsenic. It is an interesting theory with some, notice I said some, elements of truth in it.
Mary

2017-10-27 11:12:51
Paul Trevor Bale
I always remember reading that after a big meal Edward went swimming in the Thames and caught cold, which then developed into something more serious. He was with Hastings and Dorset. I've always thought a man of his age having over indulged himself for so long was taking too many risks with his health so am not surprised. His grandson followed a similar path and suffered from an abscess on his leg for his last few years. In his case well deserved. But both were by modern standards young.Poisoning benefitted nobody, especially the Woodvilles.Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 27 oct. 2017 à 00:04, maryfriend@... [] <> a écrit :

Karen are you referring to the Death of Edward IV by Richard Collins? I don't think that it says that Edward had a gargantuan meal with Anthony Rivers, Vaughan and Grey because at the time of Edward's death they were in Ludlow in the Prince of Wales'household and he was in London. Collins speculates that the Woodvilles could have been involved in a plot to kill Edward because he was no longer the goose that laid the golden eggs for the Woodvilles and that they thought that they would have more power if he was dead and Edward V was king. Anthony Woodville did get up to a few odd things in the weeks before Edward's death, like writing to Dymock his agent asking for letters to prove he had the right to raise troops in Wales and giving his post as Deputy Constable of the Tower to his nephew Dorset. He also speculates that it could have been arsenic poisoning that killed Edward because he was ill and then recovered and then relapsed and died a few days later. He based the arsenic theory on conversations he had with hospital consultants he was working with at the time. Of course as they were all in Ludlow it would have been La Woodville and her son Dorset who probably would have had to be responsible for administering the arsenic. It is an interesting theory with some, notice I said some, elements of truth in it.

Mary

2017-10-27 14:17:28
Karen O
  It was Lent. Fishing and swimming etc.... Were forbidden. I don't believe the chill story for that reason.
On Oct 27, 2017 6:12 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... []" <> wrote:

I always remember reading that after a big meal Edward went swimming in the Thames and caught cold, which then developed into something more serious. He was with Hastings and Dorset. I've always thought a man of his age having over indulged himself for so long was taking too many risks with his health so am not surprised. His grandson followed a similar path and suffered from an abscess on his leg for his last few years. In his case well deserved. But both were by modern standards young.Poisoning benefitted  nobody, especially the Woodvilles.Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 27 oct. 2017 à 00:04, maryfriend@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> a écrit :

Mary

2017-10-27 15:19:56
Nicholas Brown
I found the Collins theory quite fascinating. However, I was sceptical because AW's actions, while strange, would be suggestive of guilt and draw attention to him if EIV died so soon afterwards. Also, as Paul mentioned, the Woodvilles were in a such a good place because of Edward. The only possible motive could have been that Edward intended to imminently sideline them, but there isn't any suggestion of that. Even so, in an era where so much helpful information wasn't recorded, so who knows?
Is it true that fishing and swimming were banned during lent? I knew it was meant to be a sober time with sex and dietary restrictions, but I had no idea it went that far. Nevertheless, even without the fishing trip, British weather is so changeable that you could easily catch a cold/flu at that time of year, which could turn into pneumonia, especially with someone who isn't particularly healthy to begin with.
I had always taken for granted the April 9 date for Edwards death, but I recently read The Private Life of Edward IV, and J-AH is speculating on an earlier date. If so, the earlier he died, I think, the greater the likelihood of someone else being involved.

Nico

On Friday, 27 October 2017, 14:17:30 GMT+1, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> wrote:

It was Lent. Fishing and swimming etc.... Were forbidden. I don't believe the chill story for that reason.

I always remember reading that after a big meal Edward went swimming in the Thames and caught cold, which then developed into something more serious. He was with Hastings and Dorset. I've always thought a man of his age having over indulged himself for so long was taking too many risks with his health so am not surprised. His grandson followed a similar path and suffered from an abscess on his leg for his last few years. In his case well deserved. But both were by modern standards young.

Poisoning benefitted  nobody, especially the Woodvilles.Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 27 oct. 2017 à 00:04, maryfriend@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> a écrit :

Mary

2017-10-27 16:18:30
Paul Trevor Bale
Swimming forbidden for Lent? Why on earth? P

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 27 oct. 2017 à 14:53, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> a écrit :

I always remember reading that after a big meal Edward went swimming in the Thames and caught cold, which then developed into something more serious. He was with Hastings and Dorset. I've always thought a man of his age having over indulged himself for so long was taking too many risks with his health so am not surprised. His grandson followed a similar path and suffered from an abscess on his leg for his last few years. In his case well deserved. But both were by modern standards young.

Poisoning benefitted nobody, especially the Woodvilles.Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 27 oct. 2017 à 00:04, maryfriend@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> a écrit :

Mary

2017-10-27 18:21:24
Judy Thomson
I think swimming as an act of physical cleansing, was held suspect. One reason some persons didn't bathe much. That "closer to Godliness" thing is pretty modern. The pious denied themselves the pleasures of washing....
Loyaulte me lie

On Friday, October 27, 2017, 10:18:38 AM CDT, Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... [] <> wrote:

Swimming forbidden for Lent? Why on earth?

P

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 27 oct. 2017 à 14:53, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> a écrit :

Poisoning benefitted nobody, especially the Woodvilles.Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 27 oct. 2017 à 00:04, maryfriend@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> a écrit :

Mary

2017-10-27 18:52:43
mariewalsh2003

The story is from Mancini, and it involves Edward fishing in the Thames (not swimming at all), and it was Easter Week, not Lent.

Also, I didn't know fishing was forbidden in Lent. How did that work with only being allowed to eat fish, not meant, during Lent?

2017-10-27 19:03:25
mariewalsh2003

I think the earlier date is based on the fact that the notice of his death in the York House books is dated 7 (vij) April, and says the news had arrived the day before. But no other source corroborates this - in fact, on the 16th Edward V wrote to tell King's Lynn, and informed them that he had got the news just two days earlier (i.e. on the 14th).

The next item in the York House Books after the news of Edward's death is dated 24th April (xxiiij), so I would suggest that the entry on Edward's death has simply been misdated, and was really written on the 17th (xvij) - it's a common enough error, and when I did a calculation of when the news ought to have arrived if the messenger to York had travelled at the same speed as the messenger to Ludlow, 16th April looked about right.

This - IMHO - misdated item was also the source of the idea that Edward was poisoned, because Rev Denning, telling Collins about Edward's death, assumed that he had almost died quite shortly after being taken ill, leading to false news of his death reaching York prematurely, but then rallied and was poisoned again.

I think you all know my feelings about the poison theory by now so I'll say no more!

2017-10-27 20:43:51
Paul Trevor Bale
Either, swimming or fishing, is much more believable than the poisoning idea which I find completely out of left field.An overindulgent middle aged man doing someone he shouldn't have done, but he was the king so if you don't like it, sod off, and gets g very ill as a result. That I can buy.Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 27 oct. 2017 à 19:52, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> a écrit :

The story is from Mancini, and it involves Edward fishing in the Thames (not swimming at all), and it was Easter Week, not Lent.

Also, I didn't know fishing was forbidden in Lent. How did that work with only being allowed to eat fish, not meant, during Lent?

Re: {Disarmed} Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: Could Edward IV h

2017-11-02 14:50:51
Doug Stamate
Paul wrote: Swimming forbidden for Lent? Why on earth? If I'm not mistaken, in the 15th century one didn't wear any clothing while swimming and that's likely the best reason for a ban on that activity. Doug (Sorry to be so late in answering)
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.