Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Louis offers daughter to Richard

2017-10-07 15:26:03
Karen O
I read this in Wikipedia under Margaret if York. Louis, trying to diffuse the marriage if Margaret in Burgundy, offers his daughter Jean to Richard Duke of Gloucester. Edward was considering it.    Given the ugliness reported of Louis and his wife Charlotte I don't wonder Richard made a bee line to marry a girl he had seen!   

Re: Louis offers daughter to Richard

2017-10-09 11:31:12
Nicholas Brown
If Edward (or Charles) changed his mind about Margaret's marriage, Richard may not have had much choice. If history had gone the other way, maybe he would have treated Jeanne more kindly than Louise XII did when he humiliated her about her 'deformity' so he could marry Anne of Brittany. She certainly showed grace and dignity in response to his cruelty. I think Richard would have respected her character and treated her decently. She was said to have had a hunchback, but it isn't quite clear and Louis may have exaggerated. If the pictures on wikipedia are anything to go by she doesn't look that bad, certainly no worse than Louis.

As for looks, they weren't the currency for royal or even noble marriages, but still some people like Louis and Henry VII were quite particular.
Nico

On Saturday, 7 October 2017, 15:26:05 GMT+1, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> wrote:

I read this in Wikipedia under Margaret if York. Louis, trying to diffuse the marriage if Margaret in Burgundy, offers his daughter Jean to Richard Duke of Gloucester. Edward was considering it.    Given the ugliness reported of Louis and his wife Charlotte I don't wonder Richard made a bee line to marry a girl he had seen!   

2017-10-09 12:10:52
Karen O
I don't always trust Wiki so I.posted it here. I didn't think beauty was ever out of style for men. 
On Oct 9, 2017 6:31 AM, "Nicholas Brown nico11238@... []" <> wrote:

If Edward (or Charles) changed his mind about Margaret's marriage, Richard may not have had much choice.  If history had gone the other way, maybe he would have treated Jeanne more kindly than Louise XII did when he humiliated her about her 'deformity' so he could marry Anne of Brittany.  She certainly showed grace and dignity in response to his cruelty.  I think Richard would have respected her character and treated her decently.  She was said to have had a hunchback, but it isn't quite clear and Louis may have exaggerated.  If the pictures on wikipedia are anything to go by she doesn't look that bad, certainly no worse than Louis.

As for looks, they weren't the currency for royal or even noble marriages, but still some people like Louis and Henry VII were quite particular.
Nico

On Saturday, 7 October 2017, 15:26:05 GMT+1, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

2017-10-10 16:11:55
Karen
Jeanne went to become an Abbess and was canonized.
On Oct 9, 2017 6:26 AM, "Nicholas Brown nico11238@... []" <> wrote:

If Edward (or Charles) changed his mind about Margaret's marriage, Richard may not have had much choice.  If history had gone the other way, maybe he would have treated Jeanne more kindly than Louise XII did when he humiliated her about her 'deformity' so he could marry Anne of Brittany.  She certainly showed grace and dignity in response to his cruelty.  I think Richard would have respected her character and treated her decently.  She was said to have had a hunchback, but it isn't quite clear and Louis may have exaggerated.  If the pictures on wikipedia are anything to go by she doesn't look that bad, certainly no worse than Louis.

Nico

On Saturday, 7 October 2017, 15:26:05 GMT+1, Karen O karenoder4@gmail.com [] <@yahoogroups.com> wrote: