Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

David Baldwin The Lost Prince

2017-07-05 18:42:29
Karen O
   In this book David theorizes that Richard of Eastwell was the Duke of York. But more intriguingly contains a chapter in the Hopper ring. This ring, by tradition in the Hopper family had been bestowed on a natural daughter of Richard III by a woman he had brought back with him while on campaign in Edinburgh.    The ring is silver and has been in the family for centuries. Interesting. Just interesting. I for one can credit that our favorite Duke might not have been so saintly.

Re: David Baldwin The Lost Prince

2017-07-06 09:40:10
Paul Trevor Bale
Never thought of Richard as 'saintly' in many ways, just a good man wronged by the writers of his story.Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 5 juil. 2017 à 19:42, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> a écrit :

In this book David theorizes that Richard of Eastwell was the Duke of York. But more intriguingly contains a chapter in the Hopper ring. This ring, by tradition in the Hopper family had been bestowed on a natural daughter of Richard III by a woman he had brought back with him while on campaign in Edinburgh. The ring is silver and has been in the family for centuries. Interesting. Just interesting. I for one can credit that our favorite Duke might not have been so saintly.

2017-07-06 11:25:12
nico11238
Hi Karen,

The Lost Prince is a fascinating book. There are a number of theories about Richard of Eastwell and who he might be, but whoever he was someone of some importance was buried in Eastwell as Richard Plantagenet in 1550. There have been a few discussions on the forum, even Edward V has been suggested.

As for the Hopper ring, I asked about this a few years ago. Here is the thread that followed:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups//conversations/topics/46547

There are also a few other conversations about it which should come up if you search 'Hopper Ring' or Anne Hopper on the group web page.

Nico

2017-07-06 11:47:42
ricard1an
Absolutely agree.

2017-07-06 12:40:50
Hilary Jones
Indeed Karen, I think the late David Baldwin's work was often under-estimated.
One trick he missed (and who am I to criticise him) is looking at the household he supposedly turned up in. Sir Thomas Moyle's father and his relatives are well-known names surrounding both the Woodville Kent rebellions in 1483 and the disappearance of the princes in general. His father was actually the judge sent by Richard to investigate the rebellions in Kent. I think there's still a lot to find out; though I doubt the 'bricklayer' story. H

To:
Sent: Thursday, 6 July 2017, 11:47
Subject: Re: David Baldwin The Lost Prince

Absolutely agree.

2017-07-06 12:54:07
Hilary Jones
Spot on! H

To:
Sent: Thursday, 6 July 2017, 9:40

Never thought of Richard as 'saintly' in many ways, just a good man wronged by the writers of his story.Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 5 juil. 2017 à 19:42, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> a écrit :

In this book David theorizes that Richard of Eastwell was the Duke of York. But more intriguingly contains a chapter in the Hopper ring. This ring, by tradition in the Hopper family had been bestowed on a natural daughter of Richard III by a woman he had brought back with him while on campaign in Edinburgh. The ring is silver and has been in the family for centuries. Interesting. Just interesting. I for one can credit that our favorite Duke might not have been so saintly.

2017-07-06 17:08:56
Karen O
     It also details an Eleanor Kechyn, pardoned by HT for unspecified offenses, living near Colchester where the alleged Prince Richard was living. Did the lady have a relationship with Richard and HT was trying to prevent marriage?
On Jul 6, 2017 7:54 AM, "Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... []" <> wrote:

Spot on! H

From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... []" <@ yahoogroups.com>
To: @ yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 6 July 2017, 9:40

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 5 juil. 2017 à 19:42, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> a écrit :

In this book David theorizes that Richard of Eastwell was the Duke of York. But more intriguingly contains a chapter in the Hopper ring. This ring, by tradition in the Hopper family had been bestowed on a natural daughter of Richard III by a woman he had brought back with him while on campaign in Edinburgh.    The ring is silver and has been in the family for centuries. Interesting. Just interesting. I for one can credit that our favorite Duke might not have been so saintly.