Buck and divorce

Buck and divorce

2017-06-28 17:49:53
Karen O
    In Buck's original book makes the point that Richard had no need to poison Anne if he indeed want d to be free to remarry. He could have divorced her. My question is what possible grounds would he have had for a divorce? 

Re: Buck and divorce

2017-06-28 19:36:09
romanenemo
Some people here are much more knowledgeable about this. But I thought that maybe a divorce would have been possible because Richard and Anne didn't wait for the Pope's dispensation ?Anyway, as far as I know, such a procedure was long and tricky. So the possibility of divorcing Anne wouldn't prove anything, I suppose. Richard needed a heir as soon as possible.That suspicion is probably just another Tudor era slander. And even if some people actually suggested that when she died, it happened all the time when some high born person died rather suddenly, as shown for example by George's accusations after Isabel's death. Medical knowledge was so poor at the time.I wonder if there was this sort of rumor after Edward IV's death ? Annette Carson seems convinced that he was poisoned.

2017-06-28 19:44:36
A J Hibbard
What is the evidence that they didn't wait for the necessary papal dispensation?

A J

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 1:36 PM, romanenemo <[email protected]> wrote:

Some people here are much more knowledgeable about this. But I thought that maybe a divorce would have been possible because Richard and Anne didn't wait for the Pope's dispensation ?

Anyway, as far as I know, such a procedure was long and tricky. So the possibility of divorcing Anne wouldn't prove anything, I suppose. Richard needed a heir as soon as possible.That suspicion is probably just another Tudor era slander. And even if some people actually suggested that  when she died, it happened all the time when some high born person died rather suddenly, as shown for example by George's accusations after Isabel's death. Medical knowledge was so poor at the time.I wonder if there was this sort of rumor after Edward IV's death ? Annette Carson seems convinced that he was poisoned.

2017-06-28 20:27:41
romanenemo
I'm not sure. I read this more than once, I think, but I can't remember where. I'll try Annette Carson (I've not reached yet the passage of Richard's marriage in her book).
Romane

2017-06-28 20:41:29
ricard1an
Michael Hicks wrote an article in the Bulletin saying that Richard and Anne had committed incest because they didn't have a dispensation. In the next Bulletin Marie wrote an article which refuted all his claims. It was great to read it and see that Hicks had obviously not done any research.
Mary

2017-06-28 21:26:14
justcarol67
Romane wrote:

"But I thought that maybe a divorce would have been possible because Richard and Anne didn't wait for the Pope's dispensation ?"

Carol responds:

They did have at least one dispensation (for affinity because of Anne's previous marriage to Richard's distant relative, Edward of Lancaster). For that to have been granted, they must have had a previous dispensation for their own blood relationship. See Marie's excellent article, "Diriment Impediments, Dispensations and Divorce: Richard III and Matrimony," in our Files.

Carol

2017-06-28 21:59:03
romanenemo
I will. Thank you, Carol. I wonder where the idea that Richard and Anne didn't wait for the dispensation comes from.

2017-06-29 04:42:50
Karen O
They had their dispensations both of them. That was another question I asked here. You couldn't have an official wedding without all your paperwork. Thats in front of a priest, not a "private ceremony"     So, no anullment. No grounds for divorce. 
On Jun 28, 2017 2:36 PM, "romanenemo" <[email protected]> wrote:

Some people here are much more knowledgeable about this. But I thought that maybe a divorce would have been possible because Richard and Anne didn't wait for the Pope's dispensation ?Anyway, as far as I know, such a procedure was long and tricky. So the possibility of divorcing Anne wouldn't prove anything, I suppose. Richard needed a heir as soon as possible.That suspicion is probably just another Tudor era slander. And even if some people actually suggested that  when she died, it happened all the time when some high born person died rather suddenly, as shown for example by George's accusations after Isabel's death. Medical knowledge was so poor at the time.I wonder if there was this sort of rumor after Edward IV's death ? Annette Carson seems convinced that he was poisoned.

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.