Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Richard's old tomb

2017-06-13 15:36:50
Karen O
Now I keep reading about the alleged ", tomb" Henry Tudor erected over Richard's grave. I've even read an account of a garden!How seriously should we take this?

Re: Richard's old tomb

2017-06-13 15:52:45
Pamela Furmidge
I have not heard of a garden, but there definitely was a tomb because the documents recording payment to the mason and the cost of materials has survived and is in the official records. IIRC the cost was around £10 which was quite a respectable sum then.
Karen wrote:

Now I keep reading about the alleged ", tomb" Henry Tudor erected over Richard's grave. I've even read an account of a garden!
How seriously should we take this?

2017-06-13 16:16:18
b.eileen25
The garden is probably the garden that was made in the 17th century by the gentleman who bought the site of Greyfriars, Robert Herrick. Herrick built a mansion on the site.

2017-06-13 16:23:11
Hilary Jones
Yes if you go to Beaumanor Hall in Leicestershire (not Leicester) it's the home of the Herricks (including the poet) they tell you all about the other house and garden and have a room devoted to Richard which has his coat of arms in the window. H

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017, 4:16 pm, cherryripe.eileenb@... [] <> wrote:

The garden is probably the garden that was made in the 17th century by the gentleman who bought the site of Greyfriars, Robert Herrick. Herrick built a mansion on the site.