Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

History?

2017-05-24 07:48:27
Paul Trevor Bale

I shouldn't watch anything historical on television should I, as I always end up getting angry? But with the Mary Queen of Scots programme last night I got angry at the opening shot, where they had Mary kneeling at the block for her execution in a black dress. One of the most shocking things on the day was how when she took off her cloak she presented herself in a totally red dress, the Catholic colour of martyrdom!
If they can't get this tight, what hope the rest of the programme?
But then it was channel 5, and at least Dan Jones wasn't in it!
Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad

Re: History?

2017-05-24 08:41:54
Hilary Jones
Oh he was on Channel 5 giving Elizabeth I the makeover with Susannah Lipscombe (she says a bit, then he says a bit like Ant and Dec). It was history for 8 year olds, or am I insulting them? Lots of sweeping statements like 'our greatest queen'. Wish we could see more of Janina Ramirez; she was brilliant as 'Harold' in the Conqueror programme. In fact for once they reigned in Dan Jones a bit for that. I think he was outclassed. H

To:
Sent: Wednesday, 24 May 2017, 7:48
Subject: History?

I shouldn't watch anything historical on television should I, as I always end up getting angry? But with the Mary Queen of Scots programme last night I got angry at the opening shot, where they had Mary kneeling at the block for her execution in a black dress. One of the most shocking things on the day was how when she took off her cloak she presented herself in a totally red dress, the Catholic colour of martyrdom!
Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad

Re: History?

2017-05-24 08:56:58
Paul Trevor Bale
Dan Jones outclassed? Easy to do, even for an eight year old!Freudian slip in "reigned in"? Reined I think you meant.Janina did a series on the monasteries that's being repeated on BBC4. Marching about ruins and cathedrals dressed to kill, she does know her stuff!Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 24 mai 2017 à 09:41, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> a écrit :

Oh he was on Channel 5 giving Elizabeth I the makeover with Susannah Lipscombe (she says a bit, then he says a bit like Ant and Dec). It was history for 8 year olds, or am I insulting them? Lots of sweeping statements like 'our greatest queen'. Wish we could see more of Janina Ramirez; she was brilliant as 'Harold' in the Conqueror programme. In fact for once they reigned in Dan Jones a bit for that. I think he was outclassed. H

To:
Sent: Wednesday, 24 May 2017, 7:48
Subject: History?

Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad