Medieval heart shaped brooch found at Kirby Muxloe Castle.

Medieval heart shaped brooch found at Kirby Muxloe Castle.

2017-05-18 18:44:37
ricard1an

Just read a post on Facebook regarding a brooch that was found on private farmland surrounding Kirby Muxloe Castle. The article in the Express says that it may have belonged Katherine Hastings and given to her by William, Lord Hastings. Apparently there was a hidden message " Keep honour and joy in your heart". They then go on to say " It is likely the brooch fell from Katherine whilst joyfully strolling in the castle grounds or was it lost in more sombre circumstances in the years following his sudden demise" They appear to be making out it was a romantic token between Katherine and Hastings, though there is no mention of his dalliances with other women. The last paragraph says that "the Baroness continued to live at the castle until she died in 1504 despite William's beheading for treason by Richard III in 1483. Well I suppose we can be grateful that they said it was treason and not summarily executed without a trial.

It is a lovely brooch and it is possible that it did belong to Katherine but equally it could have belonged to someone else. Interesting though.

Mary

Re: Medieval heart shaped brooch found at Kirby Muxloe Castle.

2017-05-18 18:52:22
Karen O
    I think we may be imposing some Victorian ideas on these people. Hastings was to.love his wife as a duty. Dalliance for an aristocrat I think was consider an expression of normal desires, at least for men. That's what I have read.     Consider that their wives were always pregnant, recovering, miscarrying, away from them, I am not surprised at their bastards.
On May 18, 2017 1:44 PM, "maryfriend@... []" <> wrote:

Just read a post on Facebook regarding a brooch that was found on private farmland surrounding Kirby Muxloe Castle. The article in the Express says that it may have belonged Katherine Hastings and given to her by William, Lord Hastings. Apparently there was a hidden message " Keep honour and joy in your heart". They then go on to say " It is likely the brooch fell from Katherine whilst joyfully strolling in the castle grounds or was it lost in more sombre circumstances in the years following his sudden demise" They appear to be making out it was a romantic token between Katherine and Hastings, though there is no mention of his dalliances with other women. The last paragraph says that "the Baroness continued to live at the castle until she died in 1504 despite William's beheading for treason by Richard III in 1483. Well I suppose we can be grateful that they said it was treason and not summarily executed without a trial. 

It is a lovely brooch and it is possible that it did belong to Katherine but equally it could have belonged to someone else. Interesting though.

Mary

2017-05-18 18:53:36
Karen O
Oh no! Katherine lost her brooch! Do you have a link to a picture?
On May 18, 2017 1:44 PM, "maryfriend@... []" <> wrote:

Mary

2017-05-18 19:26:49
ricard1an
I am not good with links Karen. It was on the European Medieval History Facebook page. I will check with Stephen to see if he can post it.
Mary

2017-05-18 20:03:55
Stephen

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/metal-detectorist-discovered-precious-war-of-the-roses-brooch-at-leicestershire-landmark/story-30338080-detail/story.html#cTyBmAGAmQQuiHfx.99

Sent: 18 May 2017 19:27
To:
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Medieval heart shaped brooch found at Kirby Muxloe Castle .

I am not good with links Karen. It was on the European Medieval History Facebook page. I will check with Stephen to see if he can post it.

Mary

2017-05-18 20:52:29
ricard1an
Thank you Stephen.
Mary
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.