Jones

Jones

2017-05-12 15:39:39
Paul Trevor Bale
Yet another series on television about Elizabeth I. Thought I'd give it a try. Who knows maybe they'll say something new.
Then up pops co-presenter Dan Jones so I shivered in anticipation of yet another badly researched and dramatised "history" and I was right.
How can that man keep a straight face when calling himself a historian? After his distortion of almost every aspect of the history of the Plantagenets, he now goes after the Tudors, and that is the only saving grace! But really. Does wearing tight jeans and leather jacket the only thing needed to get on television? Facts are a stranger to this man, and interpretation of human stories beyond him!
Compare him to the wonderful Michael Scott and his Greek and Roman history programmes. He bursts into Ancient Greek, Latin, Italian, French, modern Greek at the drop of a hat, and really knows his subject. Like when Annette Carson writes about Richard and his contemporaries, Michael also has a real understanding of humans in history, not seeing them as shadows on some distant landscape.
Paul
Envoyé de mon iPad

Jones

2019-02-25 12:00:05
Paul Trevor Bale
Dan Jones, known for his orthodox, dull book, and annoying tv series on the WOTR, returns with another exciting series, on a subject that hasn't been done for, oh I don't know, maybe a year, the six wives Of Henry VIII!
What's the matter with British tv returning again and again to the same damn subject?
So many periods and subjects untouched, or badly done. And am I alone in finding Dan Jones not only annoying but also not a very good historian, who thinks he's the new Michael Wood, but lacking the latter's charisma and knowledge. Bet you Dan Jones can't speak Anglo Saxon!

Envoyé de mon iPad

Re: Jones

2019-02-25 12:06:49
Hilary Jones
Gawd Paul I thought I'd upset you!!
I find him totally annoying and when he teams up with Susanna Lipscomb they're like a pair of patronising TV announcers on Blue Peter. I suffered 10 minutes of the new series which was just dire, the same old rubbish churned out and glamorous cardboard actresses. There I've had my shout as well.
Yes, please bring back Michael Wood - and Janina Ramirez! H

On Monday, 25 February 2019, 12:00:15 GMT, Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... [] <> wrote:

Dan Jones, known for his orthodox, dull book, and annoying tv series on the WOTR, returns with another exciting series, on a subject that hasn't been done for, oh I don't know, maybe a year, the six wives Of Henry VIII!
What's the matter with British tv returning again and again to the same damn subject?
So many periods and subjects untouched, or badly done. And am I alone in finding Dan Jones not only annoying but also not a very good historian, who thinks he's the new Michael Wood, but lacking the latter's charisma and knowledge. Bet you Dan Jones can't speak Anglo Saxon!

Envoyé de mon iPad

2019-02-25 12:54:03
ricard1an
Absolutely agree with every word Paul. I was only thinking last week that TV only seems to do programmes about the Tudors.
Mary

2019-02-25 15:08:41
Pamela Bain

Indeed, hook, line and sinker!

Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 6:53 AM
To:
Subject: Re: Jones

Absolutely agree with every word Paul. I was only thinking last week that TV only seems to do programmes about the Tudors.

Mary

2019-02-25 15:43:36
Paul Trevor bale
I'm spoiled by the quality of French historical programmes which, when they do historical reconstructions, look like excerpts from feature films! And the variety of subjects! This last year we've had everything from Blanche of Castile through to Marie Antoinette, including the Hundred Years Wars, Louis XI, Catherine de Medici and her four sons, all kings of France, Mary Queen of Scots, the 30 Years Wars, thé building of Versailles, and the fascinating Duc d'Orleans, Regent to Louis XV! Costumes and settings meticulously sought, and actors who actually resemble the characters, not the grab anyone who turns up in costume' casting for the Dan Jones stuff! Not all about Louis XIV or thé French Revolution as it would be if the same breadth of subjects applied to British History was applied to French history programmes!

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 25 févr. 2019 à 12:59, Paul Trevor Bale bale.paul-trevor@... [] <> a écrit :

Envoyé de mon iPad

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.