Action possibilities in Leicester and the UK

Action possibilities in Leicester and the UK

2017-05-09 23:39:39
Nance Crawford

I've been on book deadline and it's going to be a day or two before I'll have a chance to catch up with the current debate. Last time I had a few minutes to get here was a day or two ago, so I don't know the recent progress of your thinking, and can only share my observations and conclusions as a professional actor with some experience in public media.

It is my humble opinion that picketing might bring negative attention to the present process. There are two months to go before this happens, so there is time to get literally into the faces of those who count in the church - and those in the city of Leicester, who might very well be interested in helping the cause of preventing an insult to the sensibilities of everyone involved, as well as defusing the emotional impact of allowing a production of what, at this point, appears to be not only inappropriate but frivolous in the extreme.

I am not well-versed in the possibilities of local action in UK politics, and since we, as a group, have been disavowed by the poopahs of the Society, those of you over there are in a unique position to opinion fly into what would appear to spontaneous action.

Would it be possible for someone, as a private citizen, or a small group of private citizens, to quietly approach the town administrators and request a hearing to air concerns? The city can take a soothing hand in matters by cooperating with the church and Antic Disposition in arranging outdoor performances, preferably in a park; however, contracts will have already been signed with the church, and Antic's tour is already scheduled to be performed in C of E properties. The likely (and not nearly as objectionable) compromise is setting up a platform on the lawn opposite the Visitor Centre and letting people come and sit on blankets and picnic. It is an area easily cordoned off so that a ticket center is the only entrance for audience.

Like it or not, the players will perform. No small touring company can afford two days cut from a tightly routed schedule. It's going to be Richard, and (as much as I would personally get on my knees to thank God if they'd even consider my work) there's no chance of another, so let's help them get out of our, Richard's, and their own ill-considered, way - by moving the whole thing out-of-doors and letting the city have another party at nobody's negative expense.

As to influencing the church - doubt there's much chance that poignant "please" will do much good. What may actually help is if the local congregations of every faith and denomination in Leicester, quietly, insistently, go on strike. They may simply pick a mutually known Sunday not to show up.

Alternatively, if, beginning as soon as possible, people who attend religious services of any faith arrive wearing or carrying a White Rose for Richard, in solidarity with the general disapproval of a negative portrayal of a dead, anointed king in a sacred place, and leave those roses on the ground outside the doors when they exit . . . I believe that will have power. If it happened, quietly, by word of mouth, everywhere in the county, it would be a revelation.

Quietly, insistently, during every coming week, White Roses for Richard, born of word of mouth and heart, (and maybe including an unexpected Sunday when no congregation enters the cathedral, but instead gathers silently on the lawn) would bring the kind of attention that could very well deflect the tide to more positive direction.

Stranger things have happened. Like finding the man in the car park.
www.NanceCrawford.com
KING'S GAMES: The Commentaries
http://amzn.to/1VvKiHV
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.