Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Stillington and Brittany

2017-04-26 10:44:12
hjnatdat

Can someone help please? I recall that there is a legend that Stillington was shipwrecked off the coast of Brittany and his son held hostage or something of that sort? Now it doesn't seem to be Foedera, which just says he was one who met with the Bretons (though who knows where), or Commines, which has the 'mauvais' bishop wanting to marry his son to one of Edward's daughters. I can't remember where it came from.

Secondly, and this may be David, do we know how long people clung on to their Breton heritage - i.e. by Richard's time would they still be proud of it? It's only recently I've discovered the extent of Breton heritage in Yorkshire. H

Re: Stillington and Brittany

2017-04-26 11:32:26
ricard1an
Also Hilary wasn't there something about Stillington going to Brittany for Edward to try to get hold of HT.?Mary

2017-04-26 12:53:24
Hilary Jones
Yes, I'm sure there was something about a shipwreck and someone being held hostage? I wonder if it was Markham. H

To:
Sent: Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 11:32
Subject: Re: Stillington and Brittany

Also Hilary wasn't there something about Stillington going to Brittany for Edward to try to get hold of HT.?Mary

2017-04-26 19:00:03
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

No, there are a couple of things mixed up here:

1) Commines says Stillington's son was captured by the French and imprisoned in Paris - the Bishop was not involved.

2) Re Stillington and the embassies: As we've discussed at length with David Durose in the past, the Foedera names Dr Oliver King (a later Bishop of Bath) as the ambassador to Brittany in the mid 1470s. The claim that it was "Dr. Stillington" comes from Hall, who had evidently muddled up the two bishops of Bath. Stillington was never appointed to go abroad on foreign embassies, though he was appointed to treat with visiting ambassadors, but I can't recall his having been appointed to treat with ambassadors to Brittany at any time. As we know, he would dip out on grounds of ill health even when journeying within England was proposed.

2017-04-26 19:07:46
mariewalsh2003
Marie:So says Hall. Other Michael Jones has shown that it was actually Chester Herald who was sent to fetch Henry. There are lengthy past threads on this topic, if anyone can find them.

2017-04-26 23:16:39
Durose David
Hi Hilary,I see that past discussions about Stillington and Brittany have already been summarized. I am convinced by your greater knowledge that he is unlikely to have actually traveled to the Duchy to try to obtain HT. However, that does not rule out the possibilty that he was pulling the strings in the background.
The story about his son in France does come from Commynes, who says the unnamed son was aboard ship for Richard in the channel dealing with pirates (we know there was trouble in the area at the time). He was captured and brought before the French parliament, taken to the Petit Chatelet where he died accidentally from poor treatment. He seems to express disappointment - as though they were hoping to use him as leverage.
What gives the story some credibility is Commynes position at the time as a member of the French council. He should have been an eye witness. Also the fact that he reports a personal conversation with HT shortly before Bosworth means that he came into contact with HT's rebel followers. This is his probable source for events in England.

Regarding Breton connections, the closest in time will be the Woodvilles. They are direct descendants of John / Jean / Yann II Duke of Brittany and Jacquetta's sister was the dowager Duchess (widow of Arthur de Richemont) and survived into the 1490s.
I am glad you have finally found some in Yorkshire because that was the biggest of their holdings. I have read that the Neville inheritance was essentially a Breton one - certainly Richmond and Middleham were built by them.
There is a short article available on line by K Keats-Rohan

Sent from Yahoo Mail On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 at 10:44, hjnatdat@... []<richardiiisocietyahoogroups.com> wrote:

Can someone help please? I recall that there is a legend that Stillington was shipwrecked off the coast of Brittany and his son held hostage or something of that sort? Now it doesn't seem to be Foedera, which just says he was one who met with the Bretons (though who knows where), or Commines, which has the 'mauvais' bishop wanting to marry his son to one of Edward's daughters. I can't remember where it came from.

Secondly, and this may be David, do we know how long people clung on to their Breton heritage - i.e. by Richard's time would they still be proud of it? It's only recently I've discovered the extent of Breton heritage in Yorkshire. H

2017-04-26 23:32:48
Durose David
Hilary,Apologies, the cat has caused a premature sending of my message...
Keats-Rohan's article is called Bretons and Normans in England. She argues that Breton connections and disputes on the continent influenced events in England at least until around 1200. It is worth a read to locate the areas of settlement.
Names I have found to have Breton noble origins include FitzAlan the royal Stuarts, Zouche, Poore / Power, Markenfield, Plucknett, Dynham and Dillon.
RegardsDavid

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 at 10:44, hjnatdat@... []<> wrote:

2017-04-27 10:17:09
Hilary Jones
Thanks so much David and to the rest of you. I'm out today but will get back to you all. Yes I have found some more! H

To: "" <>
Sent: Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 23:32
Subject: Re: Stillington and Brittany

Hilary,Apologies, the cat has caused a premature sending of my message...
Keats-Rohan's article is called Bretons and Normans in England. She argues that Breton connections and disputes on the continent influenced events in England at least until around 1200. It is worth a read to locate the areas of settlement.
Names I have found to have Breton noble origins include FitzAlan the royal Stuarts, Zouche, Poore / Power, Markenfield, Plucknett, Dynham and Dillon.
RegardsDavid

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android