Did Richard speak French?

Did Richard speak French?

2017-04-19 13:22:43
Karen O
   I know English was his primary language, but do we have any evidence he could speak French?Wouldn't he be largely unable to speak to his prospective Portuguese bride?

Re: Did Richard speak French?

2017-04-19 15:00:30
Paul Trevor Bale
We know he spoke French and Latin. I also remember reading somewhere he spoke Spanish, but I might have mixed that up. If nothing else he could have spoken to his Portuguese bride in Latin as they learned each other's language.Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 19 avr. 2017 à 14:15, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> a écrit :

I know English was his primary language, but do we have any evidence he could speak French?Wouldn't he be largely unable to speak to his prospective Portuguese bride?

2017-04-19 15:58:28
Maria Torres
Re Joana of Portugal - very likely, like Catherine of Aragon, she would have been acquainted with Latin, especially since she served as a regent for her father and brother.  She and Richard could have communicated in Latin.
Mariaejbronte@...
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> wrote:

2017-04-19 16:10:28
b.eileen25
I would have thought it would make having an argument quite frustratingly difficult.

Re: {Disarmed} Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Did Richard speak Fre

2017-04-19 17:15:50
Doug Stamate
Eileen wrote: I would have thought it would make having an argument quite frustratingly difficult. Doug here: Oh, I dunno, seems to me it would have given them plenty of practice in all those cases  especially the accusative... Doug Who couldn't resist.
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

Re: {Disarmed} Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Did Richard speak Fre

2017-04-19 17:40:08
b.eileen25
OR wild gesticulation...
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.