Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Richard astrology

2017-04-17 18:44:46
Karen O
   I have a belief in natal charts because mine conjunct a so accurate. I used the traditional date for his birth. He recorded  it in his book of hours. Oct 11 1452 Fotheringhay Castle 9 am.. Absolute precision is not necessary His Mars is in Aries Venus is Saggitarius. This guy would have a hard time with fidelity. Here's what I got.
http://m.sexualastrology.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sexualastrology.com%2Fmarsinaries.html&utm_referrer=#2641
Very strong sex drive; wants what he wants can be heedless of consequences. This is selfishness too.Venus in Saggitarius; Needs freedom in love.

Re: Richard astrology

2017-04-17 18:59:54
A J Hibbard
Have you adjusted for the change in the calendar made in 1752? October 2nd in 1452 is more like October 11 nowadays (may be off a day or two). Why 9 AM? - doesn't the time of day also need to be reasonably accurate?

A J

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> wrote:

I have a belief in natal charts because mine conjunct a so accurate. I used the traditional date for his birth. He recorded  it in his book of hours. Oct 11 1452 Fotheringhay Castle 9 am.. Absolute precision is not necessary His Mars is in Aries Venus is Saggitarius. This guy would have a hard time with fidelity. Here's what I got.
http://m.sexualastrology.com/? url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww. sexualastrology.com% 2Fmarsinaries.html&utm_ referrer=#2641
Very strong sex drive; wants what he wants can be heedless of consequences. This is selfishness too.Venus in Saggitarius; Needs freedom in love.

2017-04-17 19:34:33
Karen O
I found his birthdate in an astrological website so it should be fixed already. Birth hour doesn't much affect planets in houses. It affects rising sign and aspects. Trust me the man who charged at Henry Tudor is a Mars in Aries.
On Apr 17, 2017 1:59 PM, "A J Hibbard ajhibbard@... []" <> wrote:

Have you adjusted for the change in the calendar made in 1752? October 2nd in 1452 is more like October 11 nowadays (may be off a day or two). Why 9 AM? - doesn't the time of day also need to be reasonably accurate?

A J

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

http://m.sexualastrology.com/? url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sexualast rology.com%2Fmarsinaries.html& utm_referrer=#2641

2017-04-17 19:53:12
Sandra Wilson
I'm afraid I don't go along with your conclusions, Karen. If Richard's sex drive was that strong, don't you think we'd know about a number of mistresses? He wasn't promiscuous. If he spread any wild oats, it was before his marriage. OR, he was so discreet as he worked his way through the women at caught that he got away with it! From: mailto: Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 7:34 PM To: Subject: Re: Richard astrology I have a belief in natal charts because mine conjunct a so accurate. I used the traditional date for his birth. He recorded it in his book of hours. Oct 11 1452 Fotheringhay Castle 9 am.. Absolute precision is not necessary His Mars is in Aries Venus is Saggitarius. This guy would have a hard time with fidelity. Here's what I got. http://m.sexualastrology.com/? url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sexualast rology.com%2Fmarsinaries.html& utm_referrer=#2641
Very strong sex drive; wants what he wants can be heedless of consequences. This is selfishness too. Venus in Saggitarius; Needs freedom in love.

2017-04-17 22:13:26
eva.pitter@ymail.com

Karen,I think it is the other way round, without the birth hour you can only say in which sign the planets are and what the aspects between them are, but not fix the ascendant and consequently not the houses.As we have no birth hour of Richard, we don't know his ascendant. Only Rous' assumption that it is Scorpio. May be it is. I personnally don't believe in it. I think he just chose Scorpio so he could compare Richard's character with the scorpio with its poisonous sting.
There is no birth hour recorded in Richard's book of hours.
Eva

---In , <karenoder4@...> wrote :

I found his birthdate in an astrological website so it should be fixed already. Birth hour doesn't much affect planets in houses. It affects rising sign and aspects. Trust me the man who charged at Henry Tudor is a Mars in Aries.

A J

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I have a belief in natal charts because mine conjunct a so accurate. I used the traditional date for his birth. He recorded it in his book of hours. Oct 11 1452 Fotheringhay Castle 9 am.. Absolute precision is not necessary His Mars is in Aries Venus is Saggitarius. This guy would have a hard time with fidelity. Here's what I got.
http://m.sexualastrology.com/? url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sexualast rology.com%2Fmarsinaries.html& utm_referrer=#2641

2017-04-17 23:05:53
Pamela Bain
Karen and Eva, the reading and interpretation of natal horoscopes is a practical tool, and some astrologists are amazingly accurate. I do think that for a person rather like King George, who was not "in the direct line" of kingship, yet found himself in the role when Edward abdicated and Richard, who did not plan on being there, being the last in line, would make tremendous changes, regardless of horoscopes. It is all the murkier with so much of the Plantagenet history lost or destroyed, the change in the calendar, and the flat out Tudor machine set on altering what "was" into what they wanted it to be. My opinion only, not a scholar, and certainly not as qualified to make statements as almost everyone else who posts regularly, eloquently, and with research aplenty.
On Apr 17, 2017, at 4:13 PM, eva.pitter@... [] <> wrote:

Karen,I think it is the other way round, without the birth hour you can only say in which sign the planets are and what the aspects between them are, but not fix the ascendant and consequently not the houses.As we have no birth hour of Richard, we don't know his ascendant. Only Rous' assumption that it is Scorpio. May be it is. I personnally don't believe in it. I think he just chose Scorpio so he could compare Richard's character with the scorpio with its poisonous sting.
Eva

A J

I have a belief in natal charts because mine conjunct a so accurate. I used the traditional date for his birth. He recorded it in his book of hours. Oct 11 1452 Fotheringhay Castle 9 am.. Absolute precision is not necessary His Mars is in Aries Venus is Saggitarius. This guy would have a hard time with fidelity. Here's what I got.
Very strong sex drive; wants what he wants can be heedless of consequences. This is selfishness too. Venus in Saggitarius; Needs freedom in love.

2017-04-18 08:57:41
Paul Trevor Bale
Hear hear Eva!Paul
Richard Liveth Yet

On 17 Apr 2017, at 23:13, eva.pitter@... [] <> wrote:

Eva

A J

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <rich ardiiisocietyforum@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Very strong sex drive; wants what he wants can be heedless of conse quences. This is selfishness too.Venus in Saggitarius; Needs freedom in love.

2017-04-18 09:38:19
nico11238
I take astrology seriously too and have been doing charts for more than 20 years. While astrology doesn't specifically answer the question as to whether someone is faithful or not in their marriage, it does give insights into someone's temperament and inclinations. Karen is right about men with Mars in Aries having a high and rather impulsive sex drive. In Richard's case, this is further emphasized by the position of Mars in the 5th house of pleasure, creativity and recreation, meaning that he would have found sex an extremely enjoyable activity.

Other factors have to be considered though, such as personal beliefs and the quality of the person's relationship with their partner. The main problem for someone with Mars in Aries is that they often get caught up in the moment and think about the consequences later. A chart comparison between Richard and Anne indicates that they were strongly committed to their marriage and that there was genuine affection. Fidelity may not have been easy for him, but he had other aspects in his chart - particularly the Sun/Saturn conjunction that opposed his Mars - which would have given him the discipline to overcome temptation and behave with discretion in the event of the odd lapse. Such a lapse would be most likely to occur in a highly stressful, male orientated environment such as the Scottish campaign rather than in day to day life. As for Venus in Sagittarius; there there is an adventurous spirit and a need for a certain amount of freedom, but if an outlet for that could be found in other areas of life, he would be less likely to stray.

Mars isn't just about sex. It determines energy levels and aggressiveness. In Aries, it bestows courage, physical activity and decisive (but often impulsive) decision making. Richard may have had a quick temper, but his chart does not suggest the sadism or malice that he has been accused of. As Karen said, the charge at Bosworth was a very typical Mars in Aries reaction - a mindset that normally made him an excellent military leader, but unfortunately, with all the treachery around him, on that day the result was tragic.
The 9:02 am birth time from Rous does give Scorpio rising, which would have made Mars the ruler of the chart. Generally, I agree with that, but it seems a few degrees out. The rising sign is important because it shows the general outlook on life and how the planets' energy is distributed. 'Loyalty binds me is a very Scorpio motto.'

Nico

2017-04-18 09:43:31
Hilary Jones
Nico that's interesting because the whole thrust of David Horspool's book is about the tendency of Richard to get caught up in the moment and think about the consequences later. He illustrates it several times, not just at Bosworth. I wonder if he'd consulted a chart. He didn't tackle the fidelity thing. H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 18 April 2017, 9:38
Subject: Re: Richard astrology

I take astrology seriously too and have been doing charts for more than 20 years. While astrology doesn't specifically answer the question as to whether someone is faithful or not in their marriage, it does give insights into someone's temperament and inclinations. Karen is right about men with Mars in Aries having a high and rather impulsive sex drive. In Richard's case, this is further emphasized by the position of Mars in the 5th house of pleasure, creativity and recreation, meaning that he would have found sex an extremely enjoyable activity.

Other factors have to be considered though, such as personal beliefs and the quality of the person's relationship with their partner. The main problem for someone with Mars in Aries is that they often get caught up in the moment and think about the consequences later. A chart comparison between Richard and Anne indicates that they were strongly committed to their marriage and that there was genuine affection. Fidelity may not have been easy for him, but he had other aspects in his chart - particularly the Sun/Saturn conjunction that opposed his Mars - which would have given him the discipline to overcome temptation and behave with discretion in the event of the odd lapse. Such a lapse would be most likely to occur in a highly stressful, male orientated environment such as the Scottish campaign rather than in day to day life. As for Venus in Sagittarius; there there is an adventurous spirit and a need for a certain amount of freedom, but if an outlet for that could be found in other areas of life, he would be less likely to stray.

Mars isn't just about sex. It determines energy levels and aggressiveness. In Aries, it bestows courage, physical activity and decisive (but often impulsive) decision making. Richard may have had a quick temper, but his chart does not suggest the sadism or malice that he has been accused of. As Karen said, the charge at Bosworth was a very typical Mars in Aries reaction - a mindset that normally made him an excellent military leader, but unfortunately, with all the treachery around him, on that day the result was tragic.
The 9:02 am birth time from Rous does give Scorpio rising, which would have made Mars the ruler of the chart. Generally, I agree with that, but it seems a few degrees out. The rising sign is important because it shows the general outlook on life and how the planets' energy is distributed. 'Loyalty binds me is a very Scorpio motto.'

Nico

2017-04-18 10:26:39
Sandra Wilson
I agree, Eva and Paul. To me (needing to be convinced about astrology) it seems like getting into a car without the ignition key, and still somehow managing to reach a precise destination. Without Richard's exact time of birth, how can any exact conclusion be drawn? From: mailto: Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:57 AM To: Subject: Re: Richard astrology

Hear hear Eva!

Paul
Richard Liveth Yet On 17 Apr 2017, at 23:13, eva.pitter@... [] <> wrote:
Eva

2017-04-18 10:57:11
b.eileen25
I'm sorry to sound harsh but I think all this talk about astrology is going to feed fodder to the Ricardian bashers. I think it's irrelevant anyway..how does it prove anything. Let's stick to the facts...

2017-04-18 11:02:33
PAUL BALE
Have to agree Eileen.Paul

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017, 11:57, "cherryripe.eileenb@... []" <> wrote:

I'm sorry to sound harsh but I think all this talk about astrology is going to feed fodder to the Ricardian bashers. I think it's irrelevant anyway..how does it prove anything. Let's stick to the facts...

2017-04-18 12:39:59
Elise Madrid
Make that three.
Gilda

On Apr 18, 2017, at 6:02 AM, PAUL BALE bale475@... [] <> wrote:

Have to agree Eileen.Paul

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017, 11:57, "cherryripe.eileenb@... []" <> wrote:

2017-04-18 13:31:15
Karen O
OK. Thank you. I didn't say he was necessarily promiscuous, but I want to kind of destroy the assumption that Richard was shy, in awe of his brother, the ugly duckling of the family,The shortest (John Ashdown Hill tells us George was three inches shorter.  Now, being an amateur I take this from a search of Richard III birth chart.1 He hated being alone. He was a talker and not shy at all. He loved the limelight. It says he had a great love of music (( we know this)2.https://toniallenauthor.com/category/astrology-2/richard-iii-astrology/This site puts his Venus in Scorpio. I would suggest that novelists look at charts of historical people when creating their characters.3. He was a student of occult mysteries and channeled his emotions into religion.4. Back to that Mars. Mars is how we act. It isn't the totality of what we are. Accounts of his being 'feminine' do not gibe with this placement. 

On Apr 18, 2017 4:38 AM, "nico11238@... []" <> wrote:

I take astrology seriously too and have been doing charts for more than 20 years.  While astrology doesn't specifically answer the question as to whether someone is faithful or not in their marriage, it does give insights into someone's temperament and inclinations.  Karen is right about men with Mars in Aries having a high and rather impulsive sex drive.  In Richard's case, this is further emphasized by the position of Mars in the 5th house of pleasure, creativity and recreation, meaning that he would have found sex an extremely enjoyable activity.

Other factors have to be considered though, such as personal beliefs and the quality of the person's relationship with their partner.  The main problem for someone with Mars in Aries is that they often get caught up in the moment and think about the consequences later.  A chart comparison between Richard and Anne indicates that they were strongly committed to their marriage and that there was genuine affection.  Fidelity may not have been easy for him, but he had other aspects in his chart - particularly the Sun/Saturn conjunction that opposed his Mars - which would have given him the discipline to overcome temptation and behave with discretion in the event of the odd lapse.  Such a lapse would be most likely to occur in a highly stressful, male orientated environment such as the Scottish campaign rather than in day to day life.  As for Venus in Sagittarius; there there is an adventurous spirit and a need for a certain amount of freedom, but if an outlet for that could be found in other areas of life, he would be less likely to stray.

Mars isn't just about sex.  It determines energy levels and aggressiveness.  In Aries, it bestows courage, physical activity and  decisive (but often impulsive) decision making.  Richard may have had a quick temper, but his chart does not suggest the sadism or malice that he has been accused of.  As Karen said, the charge at Bosworth was a very typical Mars in Aries reaction - a mindset that normally made him an excellent military leader, but unfortunately, with all the treachery around him, on that day the result was tragic.
The 9:02 am birth time from Rous does give Scorpio rising, which would have made Mars the ruler of the chart.  Generally, I agree with that, but it seems a few degrees out.  The rising sign is important because it shows the general outlook on life and how the planets' energy is distributed.  'Loyalty binds me is a very Scorpio motto.'

Nico

2017-04-18 14:34:04
b.eileen25
Karen I do not know where you are coming from with all this birth chart stuff. You wrote you want to 'destroy the assumption that Ricard was shy, in awe of brother, the ugly duckling of the family'. No such assumptions have been made here on this forum in regard to that. This is not Mills and Boone.
As for accounts of Richard being 'feminine' ..this is the first I have heard about this and I think you are getting confused with Jo Buckley on the Leicester Uni team who described his bones as being slight and feminine in build. She did not mean feminine in nature. So I think you are barking up the wrong tree there.

2017-04-18 14:47:33
Karen O
One ambassador described him as "almost feminine'
On Apr 18, 2017 9:34 AM, "cherryripe.eileenb@... []" <> wrote:

Karen I do not know where you are coming from with all this birth chart stuff.   You wrote you want to 'destroy the assumption that Ricard was shy, in awe of brother, the ugly duckling of the family'.  No such assumptions  have been made here on this forum in regard to that.      This is not Mills and Boone.  
As for accounts of Richard being 'feminine' ..this is the first I have heard about this and I  think you are getting confused with Jo Buckley on the Leicester Uni team who described  his bones as being slight and feminine in build.    She did not mean feminine in nature.  So I think you are barking up the wrong tree there.

2017-04-18 15:03:03
b.eileen25
Can you name your source for that please?

2017-04-18 15:05:20
Sandra Wilson
Karen, to consult anyone's chart, one first has to believe in such things. And if we all portrayed Richard according to your strict guidelines, the novels about him would be boringly similar. From: mailto: Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:31 PM To: Subject: Re: Re: Richard astrology

OK. Thank you. I didn't say he was necessarily promiscuous, but I want to kind of destroy the assumption that Richard was shy, in awe of his brother, the ugly duckling of the family, The shortest (John Ashdown Hill tells us George was three inches shorter. Now, being an amateur I take this from a search of Richard III birth chart. 1 He hated being alone. He was a talker and not shy at all. He loved the limelight. It says he had a great love of music (( we know this) 2.https://toniallenauthor.com/category/astrology-2/richard-iii-astrology/This site puts his Venus in Scorpio. I would suggest that novelists look at charts of historical people when creating their characters. 3. He was a student of occult mysteries and channeled his emotions into religion. 4. Back to that Mars. Mars is how we act. It isn't the totality of what we are. Accounts of his being 'feminine' do not gibe with this placement.

2017-04-18 15:35:47
b.eileen25
It should be remembered that the Society are looking for excuses to cut ties with this forum. If members of this forum are getting their sources from websites such as sexualastrology.com its playing right into their hands and we are very shortly going to get the order of the boot. So carry on...

2017-04-18 15:38:52
Hilary Jones
Yep I agree with you and Paul - we are indeed under scrutiny at the moment. H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 18 April 2017, 15:35
Subject: Re: Re: Richard astrology

It should be remembered that the Society are looking for excuses to cut ties with this forum. If members of this forum are getting their sources from websites such as sexualastrology.com its playing right into their hands and we are very shortly going to get the order of the boot. So carry on...

2017-04-18 15:45:48
b.eileen25
Hilary.yes .we are hanging on by the skin of our teeth..and now this..
Remarks like "This guy would have a hard time with fidelity",,"very strong sex drive, wants what he wants, needs his freedom in love' and from a website called sexualastrology.com..give-me-strength!

2017-04-18 16:28:07
RONALD COOKSLEY
Well said! One could almost suspect sabotage.

2017-04-18 16:30:14
Karen O
http://www.richardiii.net/2_4_0_riii_appearance.phpNicholas described him as gracile.
On Apr 18, 2017 10:03 AM, "cherryripe.eileenb@... []" <> wrote:

2017-04-18 16:33:41
A J Hibbard
Going to your link I find neither the word Nicholas nor gracile. I have a pretty good acquaintance by now with what was written in Richard's time, and do not recall ever encountering the word gracile. I *do* recall seeing it used by academics at University of Leicester.

A J

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> wrote:

http://www.richardiii.net/2_4_ 0_riii_appearance.phpNicholas described him as gracile.
On Apr 18, 2017 10:03 AM, "cherryripe.eileenb@ googlemail.com []" <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

2017-04-18 16:53:44
Maria Torres
Here is von Poppelau's quote about Richard:
'King Richard is & a high-born prince, three fingers taller than I, but a bit slimmer and not as thickset as I am, and much more lightly built; he has quite slender arms and thighs, and also a great heart'

From http://www.richardiii.net/2_4_0_riii_appearance.php
He uses the words "slimmer", "slender", and "lightly built", not "gracile".  
Webster (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gracile) has this definition of "gracile": "(of a hominid species) of slender build."  "(of a person) attractively slender or thin."
This is a very gender-neutral definition.
Mariaejbronte@...

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM, A J Hibbard ajhibbard@... [] <> wrote:

Going to your link I find neither the word Nicholas nor gracile. I have a pretty good acquaintance by now with what was written in Richard's time, and do not recall ever encountering the word gracile. I *do* recall seeing it used by academics at University of Leicester.

A J

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

http://www.richardiii.net/2_4_ 0_riii_appearance.phpNicholas described him as gracile.
On Apr 18, 2017 10:03 AM, "cherryripe.eileenb@googlemail .com []" <@yahoog roups.com> wrote:

2017-04-18 16:56:28
Hilary Jones
I think one can agree that most male track athletes and gymnasts are gracile in build -i.e. slight. One could hardly call them feminine in any way! As AJ says I doubt it was a word used in the fifteenth century. I have yet to encounter it in anything there. H

To: "" <>
Sent: Tuesday, 18 April 2017, 16:33
Subject: Re: Re: Richard astrology

A J

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> wrote:
On Apr 18, 2017 10:03 AM, "cherryripe.eileenb@ googlemail.com []" <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

2017-04-18 16:57:49
b.eileen25
Yes, Karen, Im familiar with what Niclas von Popplau wrote about Richard thank you. Your words were an ambassador had described Richard as 'almost feminine'. Popplau does not describe Richard as 'feminine'..and is actually, in any case, describing his build rather than his nature. It is two different things to talk about someones nature and their build. Please try to grasp this thank you.
Even Rous, who did not like Richard, did not describe him as 'feminine' nor did Sir Thomas More, or Croyland...or Shakespeare who would have jumped on the chance.

2017-04-18 17:32:23
b.eileen25
It was Jo Appleby from the Team Leicester that described Richard's remains as those of a hunchback..on camera..such is the way legends are made.

2017-04-18 17:38:37
Paul Trevor Bale
Called him a hunchback, with no medical or anatomical qualifications, while smashing in some of his bones with a shovel. Awful woman!Paul

Envoyé de mon iPad
Le 18 avr. 2017 à 18:32, cherryripe.eileenb@... [] <> a écrit :

It was Jo Appleby from the Team Leicester that described Richard's remains as those of a hunchback..on camera..such is the way legends are made.

2017-04-18 18:47:16
nico11238
I hope my post on Mars in Aries didn't offend anyone. I normally prefer to keep astrology out of my posts, but I did want to say that while some of the rather general things you find on some books and websites have an element of truth, you have to consider the overall picture and how the various aspects synchronize with each other. I haven't seen anything in Richard's chart that makes me think less of him; in fact a chart analysis shows many positive things about him. (Although I have seen interpretations where the astrologer just thinks of the Princes in the Tower and interprets the chart negatively because of that association.)

Is astrology too trivial a topic for the forum? I would like to think not, as long as it is in moderation and relevant to the topic. Obviously, we should focus on the historical facts, but it can be interesting as an adjunct to what we do know. Also, astrology was a big part of peoples' lives in the 15th century. High status people consulted astrologers all the time. Henry VII couldn't keep away from them. The reason given for the Richard III Society dissociating from the forum was lack of interest, so I think the fastest way for that to happen would be if we aren't discussing anything, so it is probably best if we keep an open mind about what we can discuss.

It does seem that there is some question about Richard's birth time. You can cast a chart without a exact time and get a lot of useful information using a sunrise or noonday chart, but the picture is more complete if you do know the ascendant, which can often be calculated by examining events in the subject's life. Personally, I think Scorpio rising does suit him, but Rous timing is slightly out.

Some astrology books and websites are better than others. Karen, if you are learning astrology, I would recommend Parker's Astrology as a good start.

Nico

2017-04-18 18:55:42
Karen O
Thank you. I have analyzed my own chart in detail. I do know Parker's. I have astrolog on my computer. I did redo the birthdate to Oct 2 And that gives him Venus in Scorpio. A bit jealous.
On Apr 18, 2017 1:47 PM, "nico11238@... []" <> wrote:

I hope my post on Mars in Aries didn't offend anyone.  I normally prefer to keep astrology out of my posts, but I did want to say that while some of the rather general things you find on some books and websites have an element of truth, you have to consider the overall picture and how the various aspects synchronize with each other.  I haven't seen anything in Richard's chart that makes me think less of him; in fact a chart analysis shows many positive things about him.  (Although I have seen interpretations where the astrologer just thinks of the Princes in the Tower and interprets the chart negatively because of that association.)

Is astrology too trivial a topic for the forum?  I would like to think not, as long as it is in moderation and relevant to the topic.  Obviously, we should focus on the historical facts, but it can be interesting as an adjunct to what we do know.  Also, astrology was a big part of peoples' lives in the 15th century.  High status people consulted astrologers all the time.  Henry VII couldn't keep away from them. The reason given for the Richard III Society dissociating from the forum was lack of interest, so I think the fastest way for that to happen would be if we aren't discussing anything, so it is probably best if we keep an open mind about what we can discuss.

It does seem that there is some question about Richard's birth time.  You can cast a chart without a exact time and get a lot of useful information using a sunrise or noonday chart, but the picture is more complete if  you do know the ascendant, which can often be calculated by examining events in the subject's life.  Personally, I think Scorpio rising does suit him, but Rous timing is slightly out. 

Some astrology books and websites are better than others.  Karen, if you are learning astrology, I would recommend Parker's Astrology as a good start.

Nico

2017-04-18 19:32:08
Hilary Jones
No Nico you didn't offend me. I think it is interesting and if course Richard came from age age when this was practised - as long as you didn't conjure the dearh of the king! It's more amateur astrology which is used to back up all sort of assumptions that worries me H

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 6:47 pm, nico11238@... [] <> wrote:

I hope my post on Mars in Aries didn't offend anyone. I normally prefer to keep astrology out of my posts, but I did want to say that while some of the rather general things you find on some books and websites have an element of truth, you have to consider the overall picture and how the various aspects synchronize with each other. I haven't seen anything in Richard's chart that makes me think less of him; in fact a chart analysis shows many positive things about him. (Although I have seen interpretations where the astrologer just thinks of the Princes in the Tower and interprets the chart negatively because of that association.)

Is astrology too trivial a topic for the forum? I would like to think not, as long as it is in moderation and relevant to the topic. Obviously, we should focus on the historical facts, but it can be interesting as an adjunct to what we do know. Also, astrology was a big part of peoples' lives in the 15th century. High status people consulted astrologers all the time. Henry VII couldn't keep away from them. The reason given for the Richard III Society dissociating from the forum was lack of interest, so I think the fastest way for that to happen would be if we aren't discussing anything, so it is probably best if we keep an open mind about what we can discuss.

It does seem that there is some question about Richard's birth time. You can cast a chart without a exact time and get a lot of useful information using a sunrise or noonday chart, but the picture is more complete if you do know the ascendant, which can often be calculated by examining events in the subject's life. Personally, I think Scorpio rising does suit him, but Rous timing is slightly out.

Some astrology books and websites are better than others. Karen, if you are learning astrology, I would recommend Parker's Astrology as a good start.

Nico

2017-04-18 20:13:05
Jan Mulrenan
Jan here.I haven't posted for ages so I hope this works. Keith Thomas's book "Religion & The Decline of Magic" has an excellent chapter on astrology. He deals with c16 & c17 material but the origins of many beliefs at that time went back much earlier. It's not an easy read but I find it absorbing. You can get it on Kindle.

Sent from my iPad
On 18 Apr 2017, at 18:55, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <> wrote:

Thank you. I have analyzed my own chart in detail. I do know Parker's. I have astrolog on my computer. I did redo the birthdate to Oct 2 And that gives him Venus in Scorpio. A bit jealous.
On Apr 18, 2017 1:47 PM, "nico11238@... []" <> wrote:

Nico

2017-04-19 00:00:42
Karen O
Thank you. HT is a cool Aquarius I think. I don't think we have an accurate birthdate for Edward IV. I wonder sometimes whether some people have past lives with him and that explains some of the devotion. You didn't offend me either.Interestingly I remember reading in a biography of Henry VIII how he had to answer very intimate questions to his doctors about his sex life. They took it very matter of factly. If the King was not paying enough nightly visits to his wife the privy council wanted to.know why.
On Apr 18, 2017 3:13 PM, "Jan Mulrenan janmulrenan@... []" <> wrote:

Jan here.I haven't posted for ages so I hope this works. Keith Thomas's book "Religion & The Decline of Magic" has an excellent chapter on astrology. He deals with c16 & c17 material but the origins of many beliefs at that time went back much earlier. It's not an easy read but I find it absorbing. You can get it on Kindle.

Sent from my iPad
On 18 Apr 2017, at 18:55, Karen O karenoder4@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Thank you. I have analyzed my own chart in detail. I do know Parker's. I have astrolog on my computer. I did redo the birthdate to Oct 2 And that gives him Venus in Scorpio. A bit jealous.
On Apr 18, 2017 1:47 PM, "nico11238@... []" <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I hope my post on Mars in Aries didn't offend anyone.  I normally prefer to keep astrology out of my posts, but I did want to say that while some of the rather general things you find on some books and websites have an element of truth, you have to consider the overall picture and how the various aspects synchronize with each other.  I haven't seen anything in Richard's chart that makes me think less of him; in fact a chart analysis shows many positive things about him.  (Although I have seen interpretations where the astrologer just thinks of the Princes in the Tower and interprets the chart negatively because of that association.)

Is astrology too trivial a topic for the forum?  I would like to think not, as long as it is in moderation and relevant to the topic.  Obviously, we should focus on the historical facts, but it can be interesting as an adjunct to what we do know.  Also, astrology was a big part of peoples' lives in the 15th century.  High status people consulted astrologers all the time.  Henry VII couldn't keep away from them. The reason given for the Richard III Society dissociating from the forum was lack of interest, so I think the fastest way for that to happen would be if we aren't discussing anything, so it is probably best if we keep an open mind about what we can discuss.

It does seem that there is some question about Richard's birth time.  You can cast a chart without a exact time and get a lot of useful information using a sunrise or noonday chart, but the picture is more complete if  you do know the ascendant, which can often be calculated by examining events in the subject's life.  Personally, I think Scorpio rising does suit him, but Rous timing is slightly out. 

Some astrology books and websites are better than others.  Karen, if you are learning astrology, I would recommend Parker's Astrology as a good start.

Nico

2017-04-19 10:40:20
Nicholas Brown

After commenting, I checked Richard's chart again, and Venus is at 27 Scorpio not Sagittarius. I don't know how I forgot that. It is actually a factor that would increase the likelihood of him being faithful to Anne. As for Edward he was born in Rouen on April 28 1442 at 2.44 am (Pisces Rising). This birth time was given to me by Marie and I think it was from a contemporary source. AstroDataBank gives 1:56 am (Aquarius Rising), but I preferred the Pisces Rising chart and that is one that used for the astrological analysis that I have posted in this Forum's Files. It is in 3 parts - character, major events and relationships with other people based on chart comparisons. It is rather long, but I had to go into some detail to back up what I was saying especially when examining events such as the precontract and what he might have died of. I plan to post Richard and Henry's charts, but I am still deciding how to organize my notes to be as user friendly as possible, as I wasn't 100% happy with the format I used for Edward. Henry is being a bit of a challenge as I'm undecided about his ascendant. Elizabeth of York's is accurate though. Those two were a real surprise. He was a mummy's boy with an unexpected soft, emotional side, whereas her chart shows an extremely ambitious, charismatic risk taker who was possibly could be a bit ruthless if necessary.

Nico

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017, 0:00, "Karen O karenoder4@... []" <> wrote:

Thank you. HT is a cool Aquarius I think. I don't think we have an accurate birthdate for Edward IV. I wonder sometimes whether some people have past lives with him and that explains some of the devotion. You didn't offend me either.Interestingly I remember reading in a biography of Henry VIII how he had to answer very intimate questions to his doctors about his sex life. They took it very matter of factly. If the King was not paying enough nightly visits to his wife the privy council wanted to.know why.
Jan here.I haven't posted for ages so I hope this works. Keith Thomas's book "Religion & The Decline of Magic" has an excellent chapter on astrology. He deals with c16 & c17 material but the origins of many beliefs at that time went back much earlier. It's not an easy read but I find it absorbing. You can get it on Kindle.

Sent from my iPad

Thank you. I have analyzed my own chart in detail. I do know Parker's. I have astrolog on my computer. I did redo the birthdate to Oct 2 And that gives him Venus in Scorpio. A bit jealous.

Nico

2017-04-19 10:59:18
Stephen

Oh yes, Monday (“dies lunes”) 28 April 1442 according to William of Worcester – except that that date was a Saturday. Did he mean Saturday or 28 May, which was a Monday or even a different year? A different chart in any case

Some people do act according to astrological predictions, of course, regardless of the validity of the subject matter.

Sent: 19 April 2017 10:40
To:
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: Richard astrology

After commenting, I checked Richard's chart again, and Venus is at 27 Scorpio not Sagittarius. I don't know how I forgot that. It is actually a factor that would increase the likelihood of him being faithful to Anne. As for Edward he was born in Rouen on April 28 1442 at 2.44 am (Pisces Rising). This birth time was given to me by Marie and I think it was from a contemporary source. AstroDataBank gives 1:56 am (Aquarius Rising), but I preferred the Pisces Rising chart and that is one that used for the astrological analysis that I have posted in this Forum's Files. It is in 3 parts - character, major events and relationships with other people based on chart comparisons. It is rather long, but I had to go into some detail to back up what I was saying especially when examining events such as the precontract and what he might have died of. I plan to post Richard and Henry's charts, but I am still deciding how to organize my notes to be as user friendly as possible, as I wasn't 100% happy with the format I used for Edward. Henry is being a bit of a challenge as I'm undecided about his ascendant. Elizabeth of York's is accurate though. Those two were a real surprise. He was a mummy's boy with an unexpected soft, emotional side, whereas her chart shows an extremely ambitious, charismatic risk taker who was possibly could be a bit ruthless if necessary.

Nico

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017, 0:00, "Karen O karenoder4@... []" < > wrote:

Thank you. HT is a cool Aquarius I think. I don't think we have an accurate birthdate for Edward IV. I wonder sometimes whether some people have past lives with him and that explains some of the devotion. You didn't offend me either.

Interestingly I remember reading in a biography of Henry VIII how he had to answer very intimate questions to his doctors about his sex life. They took it very matter of factly. If the King was not paying enough nightly visits to his wife the privy council wanted to.know why.

Jan here.

I haven't posted for ages so I hope this works.

Keith Thomas's book "Religion & The Decline of Magic" has an excellent chapter on astrology. He deals with c16 & c17 material but the origins of many beliefs at that time went back much earlier. It's not an easy read but I find it absorbing. You can get it on Kindle.

Sent from my iPad

Thank you. I have analyzed my own chart in detail. I do know Parker's. I have astrolog on my computer. I did redo the birthdate to Oct 2

And that gives him Venus in Scorpio. A bit jealous.

Is astrology too trivial a topic for the forum? I would like to think not, as long as it is in moderation and relevant to the topic. Obviously, we should focus on the historical facts, but it can be interesting as an adjunct to what we do know. Also, astrology was a big part of p eoples' lives in the 15th century. High status people consulted astrologers all the time. Henry VII couldn't keep away from them. The reason given for the Richard III Society dissociating from the forum was lack of interest, so I think the fastest way for that to happen would be if we aren't discussing anything, so it is probably best if we keep an open mind about what we can discuss.

Some astrology books and websites are better than others. Karen, if you are learning astrology, I wo uld recommend Parker's Astrology as a good start.

Nico

2017-04-19 12:59:31
Karen O
You're going to do charts for us? Thank you.
On Apr 19, 2017 5:40 AM, "Nicholas Brown nico11238@... []" <> wrote:

After commenting, I checked Richard's chart again, and Venus is at 27 Scorpio not Sagittarius.  I don't know how I forgot that.  It is actually a factor that would increase the likelihood of him being faithful to Anne.  As for Edward he was born in Rouen on April 28 1442 at 2.44 am (Pisces Rising).  This birth time was given to me by Marie and I think it was from a contemporary source.  AstroDataBank gives 1:56 am (Aquarius Rising), but I preferred the Pisces Rising chart and that is one that used for the astrological analysis that I have posted in this Forum's Files.  It is in 3 parts - character, major events and relationships with other people based on chart comparisons.  It is rather long, but I had to go into some detail to back up what I was saying especially when examining events such as the precontract and what he might have died of.  I plan to post Richard and Henry's charts, but I am still deciding how to organize my notes to be as user friendly as possible, as I wasn't 100% happy with the format I used for Edward.  Henry is being a bit of a challenge as I'm undecided about his ascendant.  Elizabeth of York's is accurate though.  Those two were a real surprise.  He was a mummy's boy with an unexpected soft, emotional side, whereas her chart shows an extremely ambitious, charismatic risk taker who was possibly could be a bit ruthless if necessary.

Nico

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017, 0:00, "Karen O karenoder4@... []" <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

On Apr 18, 2017 3:13 PM, "Jan Mulrenan janmulrenan@... []" <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:
  Jan here.I haven't posted for ages so I hope this works. Keith Thomas's book "Religion & The Decline of Magic" has an excellent chapter on astrology. He deals with c16 & c17 material but the origins of many beliefs at that time went back much earlier. It's not an easy read but I find it absorbing. You can get it on Kindle.

Sent from my iPad

Nico

2017-04-19 13:02:26
Karen O
Agree also about Venus. He would be attracted to powerful women be very deep in his feelings and with a Scorpio ascendant maybe rather smoulderingly sexy. I would like to think so. 
On Apr 19, 2017 5:40 AM, "Nicholas Brown nico11238@... []" <> wrote:

After commenting, I checked Richard's chart again, and Venus is at 27 Scorpio not Sagittarius.  I don't know how I forgot that.  It is actually a factor that would increase the likelihood of him being faithful to Anne.  As for Edward he was born in Rouen on April 28 1442 at 2.44 am (Pisces Rising).  This birth time was given to me by Marie and I think it was from a contemporary source.  AstroDataBank gives 1:56 am (Aquarius Rising), but I preferred the Pisces Rising chart and that is one that used for the astrological analysis that I have posted in this Forum's Files.  It is in 3 parts - character, major events and relationships with other people based on chart comparisons.  It is rather long, but I had to go into some detail to back up what I was saying especially when examining events such as the precontract and what he might have died of.  I plan to post Richard and Henry's charts, but I am still deciding how to organize my notes to be as user friendly as possible, as I wasn't 100% happy with the format I used for Edward.  Henry is being a bit of a challenge as I'm undecided about his ascendant.  Elizabeth of York's is accurate though.  Those two were a real surprise.  He was a mummy's boy with an unexpected soft, emotional side, whereas her chart shows an extremely ambitious, charismatic risk taker who was possibly could be a bit ruthless if necessary.

Nico

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017, 0:00, "Karen O karenoder4@... []" <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

On Apr 18, 2017 3:13 PM, "Jan Mulrenan janmulrenan@... []" <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Sent from my iPad

Nico

2017-04-19 13:37:05
Sandra Wilson
Smoulderingly sexy? Fantasyland. For heaven's sake, this is supposed to be a serious forum. From: mailto: Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:02 PM To: Subject: Re: Re: Richard astrology Agree also about Venus. He would be attracted to powerful women be very deep in his feelings and with a Scorpio ascendant maybe rather smoulderingly sexy. I would like to think so.

2017-04-19 13:41:58
b.eileen25
Why on earth would anyone 'like to think' that Richard was 'smoulderingly sexy'?? Its not as if they are going to have sex with him is it? Well only in their fantasies.

2017-04-19 13:50:49
b.eileen25
Im sorry...but I really do think Neil should have a word here..

2017-04-19 14:48:40
b.eileen25
I want to make it clear to forum members I am not against the topic of astrology per se and no I certainly do not take offence. But when wild and lurid assumptions are made its going too far and needs to stop. King Richard was a noble and good king who done much good. It saddens me to see him being treated on here in a similar vein as if he were a mere pin up in some cheap teenage magazine. He was a loyal husband - we know of no other mistresses once he was married - and to have remarks on here such as contained in message 51712 'very strong sex drive', message 51767 'smoulderingly sexy' are not on. Im sure Richard would not have wished for this either. Henry Vlll sex life even gets a mention in message 51762. What is this fixation with sex all of a sudden. Its just cringe making and Im not a prude by any means. Please show some respect!
Again..i think Neil should take a look at these recent messages..if he hasnt done so already..and say something on this matter because someone isnt taking the hint. Its off putting not to mention sad it come to this.

2017-04-19 15:17:46
NEIL TRUMP
To all:
Although the 'Astral' topic was interesting at the beginning, I feel it has drifted on to areas that are probably not relevant or the subject matter is best suited to another forum and for this reason I would like to bring it to a close please.
Regards,
Neil

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017, 13:50, "cherryripe.eileenb@... []" <> wrote:

Im sorry...but I really do think Neil should have a word here..

2017-04-21 15:53:53
mariewalsh2003
According to Rous, his rising sign was Scorpio. Rous does give him Clarence's birth date by mistake, but Clarence's time of birth was recorded, and it doesn't give Scorpio as rising sign, so perhaps this really was Richard's.

2017-04-22 12:52:31
nico11238
Thanks, Marie.

2017-04-23 23:28:45
justcarol67
Karen O wrote:

"http://www.richardiii.net/2_4_0_riii_appearance.phpNicholas [von popelau] described him as gracile."

Carol responds:

Or rather, he described Richard as slender (with no implication of feminity--note that he also ascribed to him "a great heart," which in the context of their conversation seems to indicate courage). "Gracile" is a term that anthropologists and paleontologists are fond of (as in "gracile Australopithecine"). Jo Appleby was using it in that sense. *She's* the one who thought he looked feminine. No one made such a remark in his lifetime (though Archibald Whitelaw commented on so much spirit and virtue in such a small body, as you must have seen when you consulted the R III Society page you linked to).

Carol