Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Richard Society Forum

2017-03-07 21:50:18
eva.pitter@ymail.com

I have read in the "Bulletin" that the Society is no longer interested in this Forum. Appearantly it is too oldfashioned in the Society's opinion and "there also was a distinct decline in the use of the Forum".

I for my part would miss the interesting and often comprehensive discussions here should the forum be closed.

Does anyone know what will happen to this forum in the future? What do you all think about this announcement?

Eva

Re: Richard Society Forum

2017-03-07 23:12:25
mariewalsh2003
The forum isn't being closed as far as I'm aware - it just won't be under the Society's umbrella any more. I'm not sure how that transfer is going to work, though.

2017-03-07 23:29:25
b.eileen25
Thats good to hear......

2017-03-08 15:13:14
Hilary Jones
Why does the Society always shoot itself in the foot? I'd have thought any discussion on Richard should be embraced and I can't see how it's old-fashioned; it's only another (and hopefully more serious) version of Facebook or Twitter.
Like the rest of you I sincerely hope it does continue. Do you know when the changes are due? H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 23:29
Subject: Re: Richard Society Forum

Thats good to hear......

2017-03-08 15:15:54
Karen O

If they delete this forum, just create another one with another title.

On Mar 8, 2017 10:13 AM, "Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... []" <> wrote:

Why does the Society always shoot itself in the foot? I'd have thought any discussion on Richard should be embraced and I can't see how it's old-fashioned; it's only another (and hopefully more serious) version of Facebook or Twitter.
Like the rest of you I sincerely hope it does continue. Do you know when the changes are due? H  

From: "cherryripe.eileenb@ googlemail.com []" <@ yahoogroups.com>
To: @ yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 23:29

Thats good to hear......

2017-03-08 15:44:50
5a10b259d0dd9574e371fa0f856280a9
I hope I am wrong, but I get the impression that the Society doesn't really like us plebs saying too much in any location which may be seen as being the Society's official 'place'.
The Society Facebook page, for example, has been quite heavily 'moderated' at times. And it isn't necessarily the anti-Richard brigade who get 'moderated'.
As I say, my impression, may be completely wrong.
Brian W.

2017-03-08 18:17:54
aflyeruk
To all:
The committee has decided it does not fit in with other options available on the internet and probably would prefer to see it closed down.
As the owner of this forum I am more than happy to keep it open for all those that wish to continue to use it. There are around 900 members, which indicates that the forum is flourishing.
Regards,
Neil

2017-03-08 18:25:25
Johanne Tournier
Hi, Neil 
I don't understand the committee's reasoning. After all, it costs the Society nothing. On the other hand, despite the name, it has never seemed to me to be closely connected to the Society, and one doesn't have to be a member of the Society to belong.

If they are determined to cut it loose, it seems to me that all you need is a bit of a name change. Maybe Richard III Forum, or something like that.

Pity to have any kerfuffle. 9

Johanne

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Sent: March 8, 2017 2:18 PM
To: <mailto:>
Subject: Re: Re: Richard Society Forum

To all:

The committee has decided it does not fit in with other options available on the internet and probably would prefer to see it closed down.

As the owner of this forum I am more than happy to keep it open for all those that wish to continue to use it. There are around 900 members, which indicates that the forum is flourishing.

Regards,

Neil

2017-03-08 18:28:18
aflyeruk
I would also like to say that I haven't had to intervene on any contentious emails and moderate people for stepping over the line for a long time.
My policy is to be careful of those that wish to join by indiscrete methods and once a member has joined all emails are moderated until I see a pattern of what I call 'normality' and then they become unmoderated, it is a system that seems to work well and I hope everyone appreciates this approach.
Regards,
Neil

2017-03-08 18:29:43
aflyeruk
I am to understand that they are happy with the decision they have made and it seems to suit both sides.
I hope it is OK for all forum members as well
Regards,
Neil

2017-03-08 18:34:25
RONALD COOKSLEY
I am so glad that you are willing to continue, Neil.The Society is quite wrong in saying it is under-used. I just read and learn rather than attempt to contribute.I daresay that the majority of the 900 are similar to myself.'Twitter'??? Good grief !
Joan C.

2017-03-08 18:36:59
b.eileen25
Thanks Neil please keep us going. I have learnt so much on here. I have tried the Society's Facebook and I didn't like it much. Each to their own.

2017-03-08 18:39:05
Hilary Jones
Yes please count me in Neil and a million thanks for your offer. However the Society does need to examine its strategy. Suppose it lost 900 subscriptions! H

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 6:34 pm, RONALD COOKSLEY greyfox.cooksley@... [] <> wrote:

I am so glad that you are willing to continue, Neil.The Society is quite wrong in saying it is under-used. I just read and learn rather than attempt to contribute.I daresay that the majority of the 900 are similar to myself.'Twitter'??? Good grief !
Joan C.

2017-03-08 19:03:13
Pamela Bain

I think Joan is correct. I really had forgotten that we are a Forum. For me this is all about great information, wonderful (and not so) books and movies, and nice people.

Pamela

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 12:34 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Re: Richard Society Forum

I am so glad that you are willing to continue, Neil.

The Society is quite wrong in saying it is under-used. I just read and learn rather than attempt to contribute.

I daresay that the majority of the 900 are similar to myself.

'Twitter'??? Good grief !

Joan C.

2017-03-08 20:00:42
Christine Headley

An e-mail list I subscribed to for work reasons has decided to go Facebook. Though I enjoy Facebook to keep up with family etc, I find it very unhelpful for anything of lasting value, as I can never locate that insightful comment a day after the discussion started, or whatever.

Best wishes

Christine

On 08-Mar-17 18:38, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] wrote:

Yes please count me in Neil and a million thanks for your offer.  However the Society does need to examine its strategy. Suppose it lost 900 subscriptions! H

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 6:34 pm, RONALD COOKSLEY greyfox.cooksley@... [] <> wrote:

I am so glad that you are willing to continue, Neil. The Society is quite wrong in saying it is under-used. I just read and learn rather than attempt to contribute. I daresay that the majority of the 900 are similar to myself. 'Twitter'???   Good grief !
Joan C.

2017-03-08 21:44:09
eva.pitter@ymail.com
Thank you Marie for your assurance that the forum will not be closed and also Neil for his willingness to
continue! And all the others for expressing their opinions about the forum!
Eva

2017-03-08 23:12:48
ricard1an
Thank you Neil. I really enjoy the Forum and have learned so much and found lots of pieces of the great big jigsaw we are trying to complete and might never complete, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying.
Mary

2017-03-09 07:15:35
Pamela Furmidge
Although I don't post much on this forum, I do read all the posts. I am pleased that it will continue, as it does provide a lot of information.

2017-03-09 09:30:00
Nicholas Brown
Thank you Neil for keeping the forum open. It is disappointing that the RIII Society is dissociating itself from it, as there is nothing old fashioned about in depth discussion of a topic with no trolling - something that Facebook and Twitter don't offer. I don't use Twitter (I suspect most Ricardians don't either) and while the FB page posts some interesting articles, there isn't much commentary on them. I hope the Society will reconsider its decision, especially since it doesn't cost them anything. If not, I suppose calling it the Richard III forum will do.
Nico

On Thursday, 9 March 2017, 7:15, "Pamela Furmidge pamela.furmidge@... []" <> wrote:

Although I don't post much on this forum, I do read all the posts. I am pleased that it will continue, as it does provide a lot of information.

2017-03-09 10:26:51
ricard1an
Hopefully Marie you will still be taking part in discussions.
Mary

2017-03-09 10:27:50
Jan Mulrenan
Jan here.Like Pamela I don't post much but I look at the Forum most days. Neil, I'm grateful to you for keeping the Forum going & I hope to find stimulating ideas on it for a long time to come. The Forum keeps me interested!A big vote of thanks to all the regular posters too, & long may you last.

Sent from my iPad
On 9 Mar 2017, at 09:27, Nicholas Brown nico11238@... [] <> wrote:

Thank you Neil for keeping the forum open. It is disappointing that the RIII Society is dissociating itself from it, as there is nothing old fashioned about in depth discussion of a topic with no trolling - something that Facebook and Twitter don't offer. I don't use Twitter (I suspect most Ricardians don't either) and while the FB page posts some interesting articles, there isn't much commentary on them. I hope the Society will reconsider its decision, especially since it doesn't cost them anything. If not, I suppose calling it the Richard III forum will do.
Nico

On Thursday, 9 March 2017, 7:15, "Pamela Furmidge pamela.furmidge@... []" <> wrote:

2017-03-09 13:16:16
Johanne Tournier
I agree; I am not very active, but I appreciate the Forum and look forward to it continuing. I think it serves a valuable function, and frankly, no matter what they say, there is nothing else like it, that I am aware of. You cannot compare Facebook or other social networks, because while great for sharing pictures and information, they are not very good for conducting ongoing discussions.

That's my 2 farthings. =

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier
Email  jltournier60@...

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Sent: March 9, 2017 6:27 AM
To: <mailto:>

Jan here.
Like Pamela I don't post much but I look at the Forum most days. Neil, I'm grateful to you for keeping the Forum going & I hope to find stimulating ideas on it for a long time to come. The Forum keeps me interested!
A big vote of thanks to all the regular posters too, & long may you last.

Sent from my iPad

On 9 Mar 2017, at 09:27, Nicholas Brown nico11238@...<mailto:nico11238@...> [] <<mailto:>> wrote:

Nico

On Thursday, 9 March 2017, 7:15, "Pamela Furmidge pamela.furmidge@...<mailto:pamela.furmidge@...> []" <<mailto:>> wrote:

2017-03-09 13:32:39
mariewalsh2003

Absolutely.

I'm actually happy with this arrangement as it guarantees that the forum will remain independent and somewhere that anyone - member of the RIII Soc or not - can freely sound off ideas. I think maintaining Neil's light-touch moderating is ideal.

Re: {Disarmed} Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: Richard Society F

2017-03-09 16:04:56
Doug Stamate
Neil, I also want to add my appreciation of your efforts and offer. I have found this forum to be very informative and extremely interesting! I have no idea why the Society would wish to disassociate itself from it except to wonder if the Society powers-that-be believe uninformed likes are of greater value that the discussions held here? Doug Stamate (Who is trying to not be too cynical...)
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

2017-03-09 16:41:48
mariewalsh2003
it's not really how it happened, and not the spirit in which the decision was made, but I can't really say more.

2017-03-09 17:13:27
Hilary Jones
I guess whatever they are more than a little thin-skinned :) It is a shame though because they're hardly rolling in money and being part of the forum did encourage people to join. I just wanted to endorse your comment about Neil's moderation, rarely does one find such a light-handed and fair moderator.BTW very glad you're continuing!! H

To:
Sent: Thursday, 9 March 2017, 16:41
Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Re: Re: Richard Society Forum

it's not really how it happened, and not the spirit in which the decision was made, but I can't really say more.

Re: {Disarmed} Re: {Disarmed} Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: Ri

2017-03-10 17:35:15
Doug Stamate
Marie wrote: it's not really how it happened, and not the spirit in which the decision was made, but I can't really say more. That's very good to know and I apologize for allowing my cynicism to get the best of me! Doug
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

2017-03-11 18:00:04
amandageary@outlook.com
The Administrator of the Forum is no longer a member of the Society and has ignored all attempts by the Executive Committee to contact him and discuss matters. As the Society no longer has any control over the Forum we had no choice but to withdraw Society support. We have no say over whether the Forum continues or not, but would like to make it clear that it can no longer purport to be the Forum of the Richard III Society. From 1st April this Forum will have no connection at all with the Richard III Society, or any of it's officers. A statement confirming the same will shortly appear on the Society website.
On behalf of Sharon Lock, Communications Manager, Richard III Society.

2017-03-11 18:16:07
Neil Trump
To all:
The society sent two emails to me while I was on holiday which were of a tone that was not what I would call professional and I chose to ignore them. What would have been a more constructive means of communication is a phone call to discuss the situation.
I chose to pass on my membership when I stepped down from running the website for about 12 years and the agreement at that time was that the committee had no issue with me continuing to support the forum for the future, so it is interesting to suddenly see that they wanted to change things.
I then received a letter in the post ( note not a phone call to discuss again) saying that the forum could continue but it would not be supported on the website, which suited me.
Now if the committee would like me to join again I am happy to do this if it resolves this as an issue.
Regards,
Neil
Sent from my iPad
On 11 Mar 2017, at 17:48, amandageary@... [] <> wrote:

The Administrator of the Forum is no longer a member of the Society and has ignored all attempts by the Executive Committee to contact him and discuss matters. As the Society no longer has any control over the Forum we had no choice but to withdraw Society support. We have no say over whether the Forum continues or not, but would like to make it clear that it can no longer purport to be the Forum of the Richard III Society. From 1st April this Forum will have no connection at all with the Richard III Society, or any of it's officers. A statement confirming the same will shortly appear on the Society website.

2017-03-11 19:20:34
Neil Trump
To all, again:
Further to my previous email, I would also like to bring to Amanda and
Sandra's notice, is that they are technically wrong in the Forum not having
a member of the Society as another moderator.

When the forum was set up many years ago my co-founder was fellow EC member
Wendy Moorhen, former Deputy Chairman, and who always championed the Forum
on the EC whilst she was a Society officer. Wendy recognised the usefulness
of this chat room and despite my leaving the Society acted as a liaison
between the EC and myself. Although never active on the moderation of the
Forum as I was willing to undertake this role, Wendy still retains her
status as co-founder and moderator.

So with this further information I believe that in reality there shouldn't
be any need to remove the link from the Society website as it does have a current member as a moderator.
Regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPad
On 11 Mar 2017, at 17:48, amandageary@... [] <> wrote:

2017-03-11 20:06:53
b.eileen25
I must say Neil the tone of the message from the society on here makes you sound as if you have been uncooperative. This is obviously not the case. Casting that aside as the society seems to have made its mind up will we be able to still enjoy and use the forum with you as administrator/moderator etc., It,obviously will be harder for newcomers to locate if it no longer appearing on the society website which is a great shame.
On the technical side how will be able to log on. There will be a new title presumably. Will we also be able to access all the old messages.
Let's look at this as a new beginning and not an ending...Eileen

2017-03-11 20:16:24
Hilary Jones
Neil I'm sure we will sort this out someway and I endorse Eileen's final sentence. I have to say the tone of the communication from the Soceity is not what one wants to receive on a Saturday evening; it sounds like they wanted to introduce censorship, not good they don't own Richard, no-one does.
Please don't blame yourself. Let's just move on and as Eileen says, explore preserving the archive. H

On Saturday, March 11, 2017, 8:06 pm, cherryripe.eileenb@... [] <> wrote:

I must say Neil the tone of the message from the society on here makes you sound as if you have been uncooperative. This is obviously not the case. Casting that aside as the society seems to have made its mind up will we be able to still enjoy and use the forum with you as administrator/moderator etc., It,obviously will be harder for newcomers to locate if it no longer appearing on the society website which is a great shame.

On the technical side how will be able to log on. There will be a new title presumably. Will we also be able to access all the old messages.

2017-03-11 20:26:05
Neil Trump
Eileen,
As mentioned in an earlier email, I have offered to join again if this helps to resolve the issue, but more importantly, Wendy is still a Society member as well as being a moderator, so currently we meet the criteria set by the committee and there isn't a real reason to remove the link.
As a number of you have expressed, the forum has a place in Richard's discussion, as does Facebook and Twitter. Between the three of them they cover a good set of mediums to get people involved in discussion on whatever level suits each individual.
The Society has my phone number and if Phil Stone would like to call me to discuss the issue I am happy to have a chat with him to bring this to a positive end.
Regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPad
On 11 Mar 2017, at 20:06, cherryripe.eileenb@... [] <> wrote:

2017-03-11 20:38:57
Sandra Wilson
May I add my two penn'orth, Neil? I may not post very often, nor do I still belong to the Society, but I always read what's going on on the Forum. You've been treated shabbily, and have my wholehearted support. Good luck, and just let us know what to do to keep the Forum going in its new guise. Sandra

2017-03-11 20:39:40
b.eileen25
I want to add, as a member of the Society for many years I think it is atrocious that Neil, who has been running this Forum for many years has been addressed as The Admininistor by two people, namely Sharon Lock and Amanda Gerry, representing the Society in their message on here withdrawing the Society's support, without the courtesy of using his name. It is unprofessional, offensive and totally unnecessary. And Sharon Lock if you think this is ok in your capacity as Communications manager - give me strength - then you need to consider getting some training, I want to know if Phil Stone thinks this is the right way to go about things. Personally, as you can probably tell, I think it's a deplorable - an absolute disgrace. I never thought my beloved Richard lll Society would behave in such a cavalier way. Shame on you,Eileen Bates

2017-03-12 14:15:06
eva.pitter@ymail.com
So my first impression after reading the note in the Bulletin about the Society's decision to withdraw their support for the forum was correct. I suspected troubles behind the scenes in the first place, as the given reasons sounded vague and unsatisfactory to me. As some of you already mentioned, twitter and Facebook
can never replace the forum. And as a member I find it sad that the Society does not see the necessity of
giving their members an opppurtunity for more detailed and often scholary discussions. I think is detriment to
the Society's vocationnot to do so.
That said, I hope the forum will live on and thrive in the future, even in "post social media days"!
Eva

2017-03-12 17:00:09
Carole Hughes
Please keep it going Neil. I have expressed my opinion privately via Facebook and a reply to the message on here from the Society again privately.
You have done a marvellous job here over the years and although I post very rarely I am on everyday reading the messages which is more than I do on Facebook & Twitter ( I am a member of both) as nothing much seems to happen on them.

Sent from my iPad

2017-03-12 17:23:04
Neil Trump
To all:
Thank you for all your support. I am very flattered by the appreciation shown by various members for how I moderate this forum, although in reality I need to do very little these days. I check posts each day to see what is topical and ensure everything is running smoothly and keep the robotic applicants out so we don't get spurious junk/spam spoiling it for everyone.
The truth Is that the success of the forum is down to you, the 900 members, who regularly engage in topical Ricardian related discussions and who are also willing to spend large amounts of time to help others with all those awkward and complex questions.
I am hopeful that there will be a positive end to this situation and that we can continue for the foreseeable future.
Regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPad
On 12 Mar 2017, at 17:00, Carole Hughes caroleugis@... [] <> wrote:

Please keep it going Neil. I have expressed my opinion privately via Facebook and a reply to the message on here from the Society again privately.
You have done a marvellous job here over the years and although I post very rarely I am on everyday reading the messages which is more than I do on Facebook & Twitter ( I am a member of both) as nothing much seems to happen on them.

Sent from my iPad

2017-03-12 21:40:53
b.eileen25
No..Neil..Thank you!

2017-03-12 23:08:55
drajhtoo
A big yes to preserving the archive. I hope there will be some communication to members (like me) who do not visit every day, if a new method of logging on becomes necessary.

A J

2017-03-13 09:03:56
ricard1an
Thank you Neil for all your hard work over the years. Those of us have been members of the Forum for many years and indeed the Society, appreciate your moderation. I can remember the time when you had to intervene many times due to, for want of a better word, "trolls". You handled it superbly and made this Forum what it is today, a good place to discuss Richard III and his times and learn.
Mary

2017-03-13 12:42:02
rosiewoodnymph
I was sad to read in the bulletin of the strange decision to no longer support the forum, though I have not contributed for quite a while I read with interest the discussion and am in awe of the knowledge that is shown here and shared freely. I belong to the facebook and twitter feeds for the Society but they do not provide the level of discussion that is found on these threads. I am glad to read that Neil is willing to maintain it, and I too thank him for all the years that he has given to providing this forum.

2017-03-13 16:47:20
justcarol67

Eva wrote:

"I have read in the "Bulletin" that the Society is no longer interested in this Forum. Appearantly it is too oldfashioned in the Society's opinion and "there also was a distinct decline in the use of the Forum".

I for my part would miss the interesting and often comprehensive discussions here should the forum be closed.

Does anyone know what will happen to this forum in the future? What do you all think about this announcement?"

Carol responds:

Forgive me for responding before reading the Bulletin announcement (or any responses to this post, but I want to respond immediately. I for one like the "old-fashioned" format (I detest Facebook and have never used Twitter or any "modern" format [designed as I understand for quick responses, not long posts]). I sincerely hope that this forum remains in use--as is. An earlier attempt to modernize it failed drastically and it was reconstituted in this form. Please don't "fix" it or replace it or disband it! Leave it as it is.

Carol

2017-03-13 17:13:16
justcarol67
Brian wrote:

"I hope I am wrong, but I get the impression that the Society doesn't really like us plebs saying too much in any location which may be seen as being the Society's official 'place'. The Society Facebook page, for example, has been quite heavily 'moderated' at times. And it isn't necessarily the anti-Richard brigade who get 'moderated'."
Carol responds:

All the more reason to keep this forum, even if we have to change its name. Moderator, please chime in!

Carol

2017-03-13 17:15:37
justcarol67

Neil wrote:

"The committee has decided it does not fit in with other options available on the internet and probably would prefer to see it closed down. As the owner of this forum I am more than happy to keep it open for all those that wish to continue to use it. There are around 900 members, which indicates that the forum is flourishing."
Carol responds:

Thank you, Neil!