Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Anne Neville Two Crowns Cardiff Castle Window

2017-02-02 01:48:59
poohlandeva
This may sound like a strange question but it came up on another site and nobody seems to have an answer. I have spent hours looking on the net but cannot find an answer.

In the stain glass window in Cardiff Castle of Richard iii and Queen Anne Neville, Anne has two crowns. Does anyone have any information about why two crowns?

Is it anything to do with her being Princess of Wales, then Duchess of Gloucester, both of which would have given her a crown or coronet, plus her crown as Queen or is the second crown to do with her being Lady of Glamorgan?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Anne Neville Two Crowns Cardiff Castle Window

2017-02-02 09:37:40
Hilary Jones
Am I right in thinking she has two crowns on the Rous Roll, which was, I think, to do with being Princess of Wales and Queen of England? H

To:
Sent: Thursday, 2 February 2017, 1:48
Subject: Anne Neville Two Crowns Cardiff Castle Window

This may sound like a strange question but it came up on another site and nobody seems to have an answer. I have spent hours looking on the net but cannot find an answer.

In the stain glass window in Cardiff Castle of Richard iii and Queen Anne Neville, Anne has two crowns. Does anyone have any information about why two crowns?

Is it anything to do with her being Princess of Wales, then Duchess of Gloucester, both of which would have given her a crown or coronet, plus her crown as Queen or is the second crown to do with her being Lady of Glamorgan?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Anne Neville Two Crowns Cardiff Castle Window

2017-02-02 18:53:34
b.eileen25
Hi Poohlandra..that is not two crowns..if you take a closer look you will see it is where the lead has cut across the headdress given an impression Anne could be wearing two crowns. Eileen