Richard III Research and Discussion Archive

Query: a good general English history?

2016-12-23 09:13:22
Johanne Tournier

Hi, All 

Well, at present I am in the middle of my English holiday and have been fortunate to do a number of things which were on my list of to-do's and to-see's. Probably the biggest thrill has been going on the Society's excursion to Fotheringhay, truly a wonderful experience.

I lost my four-volumes of the History of England which had been used as a text in my college course when I sold my home in Shelburne. I tried to find something on Amazon.ca, but didn't find anything that really struck me as being sufficiently comprehensive. I figured that I had the perfect opportunity during this stay in London to visit one of the fine bookstores. And I have a LondonPass, which includes a special offer from Foyle's Bookstore on Charing Cross Road.

I looked over the British History, and there, prominently displayed, was the latest volume of four (to date) of Peter Ackroyd's series of English History. A cursory scan looked fairly impressive  the writing style was elegant and expressive. So, I picked up the first three paperback volumes. But, when I got back to my hotel, I quickly looked up anything on Richard, and what I read was Ackroyd's theory that Richard may have used the boar as his emblem, because the Latin name for York was Eboracum, and Richard (III) was known as Richard of York.

Well, I don't think that that is an accurate statement. That gave me a distinctly queasy feeling, because I don't want to work to find room in my luggage for three thick volumes of a history which is unreliable.

I further checked a review of the first volume of the series, Foundation, in the Telegraph online, and found that it is apparent from the review that the book, although well written, is filled with apparently specious theses. So the flaws extend to more than Ackroyd's assertion that Richard was called Richard of York.

So  I have a few shopping days left till I leave England. I am willing to go back to Foyle's to exchange Ackroyd's volumes for another, more reliable set, or even a one-volume book if that is the best option. What I am looking for, of course, is something that ties in the various strands of English history in a comprehensible way. For example, I know a fair bit about the Tudors, thanks to having been inculcated in Tudorism very effectively by American literature and film (though admittedly some of the details are probably off). But I have never understood the ups and downs of the Catholics and the Anglicans, the development of the other Protestant sects like Quakerism, and the deposition of Charles I and the Commonwealth, and the consequent English Civil War.

So  can anyone help me? When I go back to Foyle's, what should I exchange Ackroyd for??

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Query: a good general English history?

2016-12-23 13:22:59
Pamela Bain
I hope you find your book(s). Doyle's is wonderful and I could spend days there. Happy Holidays
On Dec 23, 2016, at 3:13 AM, Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

Hi, All 

Well, at present I am in the middle of my English holiday and have been fortunate to do a number of things which were on my list of to-do's and to-see's. Probably the biggest thrill has been going on the Society's excursion to Fotheringhay, truly a wonderful experience.

I lost my four-volumes of the History of England which had been used as a text in my college course when I sold my home in Shelburne. I tried to find something on Amazon.ca, but didn't find anything that really struck me as being sufficiently comprehensive. I figured that I had the perfect opportunity during this stay in London to visit one of the fine bookstores. And I have a LondonPass, which includes a special offer from Foyle's Bookstore on Charing Cross Road.

I looked over the British History, and there, prominently displayed, was the latest volume of four (to date) of Peter Ackroyd's series of English History. A cursory scan looked fairly impressive  the writing style was elegant and expressive. So, I picked up the first three paperback volumes. But, when I got back to my hotel, I quickly looked up anything on Richard, and what I read was Ackroyd's theory that Richard may have used the boar as his emblem, because the Latin name for York was Eboracum, and Richard (III) was known as Richard of York.

Well, I don't think that that is an accurate statement. That gave me a distinctly queasy feeling, because I don't want to work to find room in my luggage for three thick volumes of a history which is unreliable.

I further checked a review of the first volume of the series, Foundation, in the Telegraph online, and found that it is apparent from the review that the book, although well written, is filled with apparently specious theses. So the flaws extend to more than Ackroyd's assertion that Richard was called Richard of York.

So  I have a few shopping days left till I leave England. I am willing to go back to Foyle's to exchange Ackroyd's volumes for another, more reliable set, or even a one-volume book if that is the best option. What I am looking for, of course, is something that ties in the various strands of English history in a comprehensible way. For example, I know a fair bit about the Tudors, thanks to having been inculcated in Tudorism very effectively by American literature and film (though admittedly some of the details are probably off). But I have never understood the ups and downs of the Catholics and the Anglicans, the development of the other Protestant sects like Quakerism, and the deposition of Charles I and the Commonwealth, and the consequent English Civil War.

So  can anyone help me? When I go back to Foyle's, what should I exchange Ackroyd for??

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

2016-12-23 22:24:01
Hilary Jones
Wow Johanne what a request! Ackroyd is a biographer and novelist, he isn't a historian. Even his work on Thomas More is a bit 'flimsy'. What you're asking for is something that takes a lot of books and several years to embrace. People who write well on Oliver Cromwell don't write well on Edward II. Churchill tried to do it and made an articulate, biased mess, Schama is a good overall historian/writer but get to the nineteenth century and he's very left wing. Basically, things have moved on from the encyclopaedia type book of English history. If you want to read about the later middle ages read Ian Mortimer, if you want to read about the Tudors then there are a host of authors including Starkey (and G R Elton) and if you want later there is an extensive list, including the old, but still impressive. Antonia Fraser on Cromwell and Charles II. Get to the nineteenth century and you're into a whole host of authors including Hobsbawm and Mathias. So I would save your luggage allowance and collect them selectively bit by bit. That way you will get a much more up to date (and true) version of what English history is all about. Hope this helps. Glad you're enjoying your visit! H

To: "" <>
Sent: Friday, 23 December 2016, 9:13
Subject: Query: a good general English history?

Hi, All  Well, at present I am in the middle of my English holiday and have been fortunate to do a number of things which were on my list of to-do's and to-see's. Probably the biggest thrill has been going on the Society's excursion to Fotheringhay, truly a wonderful experience. I lost my four-volumes of the History of England which had been used as a text in my college course when I sold my home in Shelburne. I tried to find something on Amazon.ca, but didn't find anything that really struck me as being sufficiently comprehensive. I figured that I had the perfect opportunity during this stay in London to visit one of the fine bookstores. And I have a LondonPass, which includes a special offer from Foyle's Bookstore on Charing Cross Road. I looked over the British History, and there, prominently displayed, was the latest volume of four (to date) of Peter Ackroyd's series of English History. A cursory scan looked fairly impressive  the writing style was elegant and expressive. So, I picked up the first three paperback volumes. But, when I got back to my hotel, I quickly looked up anything on Richard, and what I read was Ackroyd's theory that Richard may have used the boar as his emblem, because the Latin name for York was Eboracum, and Richard (III) was known as Richard of York. Well, I don't think that that is an accurate statement. That gave me a distinctly queasy feeling, because I don't want to work to find room in my luggage for three thick volumes of a history which is unreliable. I further checked a review of the first volume of the series, Foundation, in the Telegraph online, and found that it is apparent from the review that the book, although well written, is filled with apparently specious theses. So the flaws extend to more than Ackroyd's assertion that Richard was called Richard of York. So  I have a few shopping days left till I leave England. I am willing to go back to Foyle's to exchange Ackroyd's volumes for another, more reliable set, or even a one-volume book if that is the best option. What I am looking for, of course, is something that ties in the various strands of English history in a comprehensible way. For example, I know a fair bit about the Tudors, thanks to having been inculcated in Tudorism very effectively by American literature and film (though admittedly some of the details are probably off). But I have never understood the ups and downs of the Catholics and the Anglicans, the development of the other Protestant sects like Quakerism, and the deposition of Charles I and the Commonwealth, and the consequent English Civil War. So  can anyone help me? When I go back to Foyle's, what should I exchange Ackroyd for?? Johanne Johanne L. Tournier Email  jltournier60@... Sent from Mail for Windows 10

2016-12-24 02:47:38
justcarol67
Johanne wrote:

"But, when I got back to my hotel, I quickly looked up anything on Richard, and what I read was Ackroyd's theory that Richard may have used the boar as his emblem, because the Latin name for York was Eboracum, and Richard (III) was known as Richard of York."

Carol responds:

I'm afraid I can't help you. My ancient three-volume history of England by G. M. Trevelyan is very bad on Richard. But regarding Ackroyd's theory regarding the boar, he may be partially right given Richard's membership in and loyalty the *House* of York.And the color white may also already have been associated with the House of York if Edward's Rose en Soleil was white. Someone more familiar with heraldry may be able to help here.

Carol

2016-12-30 17:57:29
ricard1an
Several years ago I read that Jorvik, the Viking name for York, means Vale of the White Boar and that is why he chose the boar as his badge. Don't forget that he also used the St Anthony boar as his badge when he was young and his motto then was "Tant le Desire". I can't remember exactly where I read it ( what's new?) but it was either in the Bulletin or the magazine of the Yorkshire Branch.
Mary