membership

membership

2016-12-11 18:12:35
pippabowen
Thank you for your E mail. I would love to join the Richard III Society but I don't remember asking for membership. However, as I've said I would very much like to join. I'm currently writing about Richard III and am extremely interested in finding out more about the paternity of the oldest Beaufort son, John, was it Sir Hugh Swynford or John of Gaunt? I'm searching for information to support my theory. I am confused by this E Mail but thank you. May I join? Yours faithfully. Philippa Bowen.

Re: membership

2016-12-11 19:14:36
Stephen

I hope this article helps:

https://murreyandblue.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/a-genealogical-mystery-deepens-originally-published-in-the-december-2013-bulletin/

Sent: 11 December 2016 18:07
To:
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] membership

Thank you for your E mail. I would love to join the Richard III Society but I don't remember asking for membership. However, as I've said I would very much like to join. I'm currently writing about Richard III and am extremely interested in finding out more about the paternity of the oldest Beaufort son, John, was it Sir Hugh Swynford or John of Gaunt? I'm searching for information to support my theory.

I am confused by this E Mail but thank you. May I join?

Yours faithfully.

Philippa Bowen.

2016-12-14 12:13:45
Nicholas Brown
Hi Pippa,
That is an interesting question, but it is most likely that John Beaufort was the son of John of Gaunt and not Hugh Swynford. Surely, if he was born within a reasonable timeline to be Hugh Swynford's son, then the presumption of paternity would have dictated that he be regarded as such. Regardless of the biological truth, he would have officially been John Swynford, Thomas Swynford's younger brother, who may have been given some special favours if John of Gaunt had reason to suspect he was JB's actual father. I can't see any reason why JofG would have recognized any child who could possibly have been the legitimate son of his mistress' husband. To do this would also have been an insult to a knight who had served him well. There was no obligation to formally recognize illegitimate children, even if their existence was well known; it seems to have depended on the person - Richard III , but Edward IV didn't and Henry VII never confirmed the rumours about Roland de Velville's paternity. So if JofG recognized John Beaufort, then he must have had every reason to be confident that he was in fact the father and that he would have been born too late to be Hugh Swynford's son - ie after the Spring of 1471 (Hugh Swynford went to Aquitaine in June 1470 and died there in November 1471.)
There is no certainly as to the date of John Beaufort's birth. The dates - and birth order - generally given for all the Beaufort children are estimates. While I am generally cautious about endorsing Alison Weir, after the hatchet job she did on Richard, there is an excellent chapter in in her book, Katherine Swynford: The Story of John of Gaunt and his Scandalous Mistress, where she makes a very good analysis and approximation of when each child was born, using the records of grants and gifts that roughly with the children's ages. Therefore, it can be assumed that the Beaufort children were shortly before the following dates:
- February 1473 (John)- June 1475 (Henry)- February 1477 (Joan)- January 1481 (Thomas)
Finally, JofG confessed in 1396, in a petition to the Pope that he had been unfaithful to his wife Constance with Katherine Swynford and many other women, but states specifically that Katherine was not married at the time.
The mismatch between Richard III's y dna and that of the Beaufort descendants is intriguing. One possible explanation could be that the suspicions that Richard Earl of Cambridge's biological father was John Holland, Duke of Exeter were true or perhaps some other later 'non paternity event' in the Beaufort line some generations later.
Hope this helps.
Nico

On Sunday, 11 December 2016, 19:14, "'Stephen' stephenmlark@... []" <> wrote:

I hope this article helps: https://murreyandblue.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/a-genealogical-mystery-deepens-originally-published-in-the-december-2013-bulletin/ From: [mailto: ]
To:
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] membership Thank you for your E mail. I would love to join the Richard III Society but I don't remember asking for membership. However, as I've said I would very much like to join. I'm currently writing about Richard III and am extremely interested in finding out more about the paternity of the oldest Beaufort son, John, was it Sir Hugh Swynford or John of Gaunt? I'm searching for information to support my theory. I am confused by this E Mail but thank you. May I join? Yours faithfully. Philippa Bowen.

2016-12-14 12:28:19
Durose David
Nico,I agree completely with your analysis.
There is a very sound reason that Henry VII did not recognize Roland de Velville, and that is that he was not his son. He was about 10 years older than the estimate of his birth date that was based on the assumption that he was Henry's son.
An analysis of his coat of arms identifies all the families in his claimed ancestry.
Kind regardsDavid

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 12:10, Nicholas Brown nico11238@... [] <> wrote:

Hi Pippa,
That is an interesting question, but it is most likely that John Beaufort was the son of John of Gaunt and not Hugh Swynford. Surely, if he was born within a reasonable timeline to be Hugh Swynford's son, then the presumption of paternity would have dictated that he be regarded as such. Regardless of the biological truth, he would have officially been John Swynford, Thomas Swynford's younger brother, who may have been given some special favours if John of Gaunt had reason to suspect he was JB's actual father. I can't see any reason why JofG would have recognized any child who could possibly have been the legitimate son of his mistress' husband. To do this would also have been an insult to a knight who had served him well. There was no obligation to formally recognize illegitimate children, even if their existence was well known; it seems to have depended on the person - Richard III , but Edward IV didn't and Henry VII never confirmed the rumours about Roland de Velville's paternity. So if JofG recognized John Beaufort, then he must have had every reason to be confident that he was in fact the father and that he would have been born too late to be Hugh Swynford's son - ie after the Spring of 1471 (Hugh Swynford went to Aquitaine in June 1470 and died there in November 1471.)
There is no certainly as to the date of John Beaufort's birth. The dates - and birth order - generally given for all the Beaufort children are estimates. While I am generally cautious about endorsing Alison Weir, after the hatchet job she did on Richard, there is an excellent chapter in in her book, Katherine Swynford: The Story of John of Gaunt and his Scandalous Mistress, where she makes a very good analysis and approximation of when each child was born, using the records of grants and gifts that roughly with the children's ages. Therefore, it can be assumed that the Beaufort children were shortly before the following dates:
- February 1473 (John)- June 1475 (Henry)- February 1477 (Joan)- January 1481 (Thomas)
Finally, JofG confessed in 1396, in a petition to the Pope that he had been unfaithful to his wife Constance with Katherine Swynford and many other women, but states specifically that Katherine was not married at the time.
The mismatch between Richard III's y dna and that of the Beaufort descendants is intriguing. One possible explanation could be that the suspicions that Richard Earl of Cambridge's biological father was John Holland, Duke of Exeter were true or perhaps some other later 'non paternity event' in the Beaufort line some generations later.
Hope this helps.
Nico

On Sunday, 11 December 2016, 19:14, "'Stephen' stephenmlark@... []" <> wrote:

I hope this article helps: https://murreyandblue.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/a-genealogical-mystery-deepens-originally-published-in-the-december-2013-bulletin/ From: [mailto: ]
To:
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] membership Thank you for your E mail. I would love to join the Richard III Society but I don't remember asking for membership. However, as I've said I would very much like to join. I'm currently writing about Richard III and am extremely interested in finding out more about the paternity of the oldest Beaufort son, John, was it Sir Hugh Swynford or John of Gaunt? I'm searching for information to support my theory. I am confused by this E Mail but thank you. May I join? Yours faithfully. Philippa Bowen.

2016-12-14 15:31:20
mariewalsh2003

Hi David,

What is your source for Roland's true age? Unless it is recorded somewhere, all we can surely say with any confidence is that he is highly unlikely to have been born later than the first months of 1473 since he accompanied the army to Brittany (under Sir John Cheyne) in 1489 (i.e. the normal call-up age was 16).

This is the appendix on Roland's arms from http://www.happywarrior.org/genealogy/roland.htm#part3

"This information has been extracted from 'The Development of Welsh Heraldry' (1993) by Dr. M. P. Siddons, Welsh Herald Extraordinary. Please refer to that book for an explanation of the sources.

As far I can see from this information, Velville has been attributed with basically two different coats of arms, the first is item 1 below and the second is item 2. I think it is likely that item 3 is another interpretation of item 2.1, that is Velville's senior quartering. I would make a tentative guess that item 1 is the coat of arms granted to Velville upon his being knighted after the battle of Blackheath in 1497 (though I cannot think why he should be granted arms when it appears that he already had a coat of arms) and that item 2 represents his 'proper' coat of arms, that is the arms he inherited by birth. The unquartered coat of arms of his father would therefore appear to be item 2.1 but item 3 may be a more correct interpretation. The arms of Velville's father would appear to be 'argent/or, a boar passant/statant sable', either 'armed or, langued gules' or not as the case may be*.

*This means, in plain English, either a gold (or) or white (argent) background surmounted by a black boar (a boar sable), either walking past with its head sideways on (looking to its front i.e. left) and with its right paw raised (passant) or standing (head on the left, tail on the right) on its four paws with its head looking towards you (statant), either with gold teeth (armed or) and a red tongue (langued gules), or not as the case maybe.

It is, of course, intruiging that Velville should have been attributed with a coat of arms such as 2 below. This would seem to imply that the identity of both his father and mother was known. According to Dr. Siddons, John Writhe, Garter King of Arms (see below), would have actually known Velville. On the other hand, SF1 refers to a manuscript prepared for Katherine of Berain (Velville's grand-daughter) by Simwnt Fychan. It is possible that this coat of arms actually refers back to the ancestors of the Tudors amongst the Welsh princely families but I have not yet investigated this matter. Dr. Siddons has confirmed that it is 'unusual' that such apparent confusion should arise.

Writhe's Knights.

Argent, a lion rampant gules, charged with a bezant* on the shoulder.

*A bezant is a small gold circle or disk. They were often used to symbolize travel and the use of this charge may refer to Velville's alleged Breton origins.

SF1, WC4, WC5 and Geo.O.4.

These all seem to broadly agree on the six main elements, namely:-

Or, a boar passant sable.

Argent, three bars sable (WC5 - Barry of six, argent and sable).

Argent, three bars gules (WC5 - Barry of six, argent and gules).

Gules, a label or, three points seen.

'On his mother's side':-

Argent, a lion rampant gules, crowned or (I believe that these are the arms of the Counts of Poitou).

Argent, three chevrons sable.

The last two either being quarterings (Geo.O.4.) or shown quartered on an inescutcheon (SF1, WC4 and WC5). In addition, SF1, WC4 and WC5 (but not Geo.O.4.) show an inescutcheon - argent, a lion rampant gules, crowned, langued and armed or.

Harleian.

Argent, a boar statant sable, armed or, langued gules. Same as 2.1?

Supporters (SF1 and WC4 only):-

Two lions rampant gardant or, each holding a square banner argent, and spearmen or with heads azure supporting them, a crowned lion gules in each banner.

Crest (SF1 and WC4 only):-

A lion's head argent, langued gules, issuant from a crown or."

In fact, the few sources I found online suggest that the maternal arms, 'argent, a lion rampant gules, crowned or,' were in a Breton context the arms of the house of Goyon. There is a village named La Vieille-ville between the Goyon castles of Quintin and Le Blois Gle.

I'd be very interested if anybody has any ideas regarding the paternal arms.

The following (from the same website) are translations of late-Tudor bardic elegies of Roland's descendants:

"Great-grandson of gilded Sir Roland
And the heir and the possessor of the land from the line of his ancestor [literally his grandfather'],
That is the lineage of kings,
He was purely descended from the ancient blood of Brittany"

"From your grandmother you issued from a tribe who excelled,
Sir Roland of Brittany was your ancestor . . .
Your line issued from the blood of kings,
And was of the race of the earls of all England."

"Lineages came to you adroitly in a fine manner
From the blood of Velville in profusion;
The stag (i.e. Velville) is perceived to be a generous kinsman,
A gentle peacock who was the kinsman of the stags of Penmynydd."

(Penmynydd being the Tudor ancestral home in Anglesey.)

Tudor - i.e. Anglesey - ancestry could explain why Henry VIII's chose to make him constable of Beaumaris.

Marie

2016-12-14 15:54:12
mariewalsh2003

Just a small additional observation on Roland's age:

Since there are no records of his having fought at either Bosworth or Stoke, Is it perhaps likely that he turned 16 between April/May 1487 (when the royal forces mustered) and March 1489 (the English forces landed in Brittany on 9 April 1489) - i.e. that he was born sometime between the summer of 1471 and February 1473?

It is, of course, possible that he was older but did not come to England until after Stoke, yet I'm not aware that any records have been found of an earlier career in Brittany.

If the dates I suggest above would make him roughly 63 at his death.

Marie

2016-12-14 18:56:57
mariewalsh2003
And me again.

I realise my main message on this was truncated. On the arms it also included:

"Writhe's Knights.
*A bezant is a small gold circle or disk. They were often used to symbolize travel and the use of this charge may refer to Velville's alleged Breton origins.
Argent, a lion rampant gules, crowned or (I believe that these are the arms of the Counts of Poitou).
The last two either being quarterings (Geo.O.4.) or shown quartered on an inescutcheon (SF1, WC4 and WC5). In addition, SF1, WC4 and WC5 (but not Geo.O.4.) show an inescutcheon - argent, a lion rampant gules, crowned, langued and armed or.
Harleian.
Two lions rampant gardant or, each holding a square banner argent, and spearmen or with heads azure supporting them, a crowned lion gules in each banner.
The maternal arms of lion rampant gules crowned or may be house of Guyon, whose territory holds a village called La Vieille-ville. Any ideas on paternal arms very welcome.

2016-12-14 19:26:37
mariewalsh2003

Sorry to hog the forum, but this is the last bit of the message. From same website, translations of late-Tudor bardic poetry in praise of Roland's line:

Great-grandson of gilded Sir Roland
And the heir and the possessor of the land from the line of his ancestor [literally his grandfather'],
He was purely descended from the ancient blood of Brittany.

From your grandmother you issued from a tribe who excelled,
And was of the race of the earls of all England.

Lineages came to you adroitly in a fine manner
A gentle peacock who was the kinsman of the stags of Penmynydd.
[Penmynydd = the ancestral home of the Tudors in Anglesey.]

Of a line near to the crown and of its blood.

2016-12-14 23:34:28
justcarol67
Nico wrote:

"That is an interesting question, but it is most likely that John Beaufort was the son of John of Gaunt and not Hugh Swynford."

Carol responds:

An interesting and well-researched response, but it sounds like the traditional position. The article Stephen linked to presents several counterarguments that you may want to consider. Meanwhile, I'd like to hear what Marie thinks on the matter of John Beaufort's paternity.

Carol

2016-12-15 00:21:05
mariewalsh2003

Hi Carol,

Well, my thoughts are that the evidence is ambiguous. The dates we have are such that John could have been conceived when Hugh Swynford was still alive, and this is what Froissart believed. But Nico is right, and Gaunt claimed to the Pope that only he had been committing adultery in conceiving John Beaufort. I suspect this is probably true, and that what may have happened is that his comforting of Katherine after her husband's death got a little out of hand. But that's just my surmise.

Marie

2016-12-15 19:14:57
justcarol67
Marie wrote:

"Well, my thoughts are that the evidence is ambiguous. The dates we have are such that John could have been conceived when Hugh Swynford was still alive, and this is what Froissart believed. But Nico is right, and Gaunt claimed to the Pope that only he had been committing adultery in conceiving John Beaufort. I suspect this is probably true, and that what may have happened is that his comforting of Katherine after her husband's death got a little out of hand. But that's just my surmise."

Carol responds:

Thanks, Marie. I was hoping that John Beaufort was the answer to the Y chromosome discrepancy. Now I'm afraid it's Richard, Duke of York's father, Richard of Conisburgh, who was not a true descendant of Edward III. Still, that wouldn't affect either Richard III's claim to the throne or Edward IV's, since those claims were through Lionel of Antwerp, not Edmund of Langley.

Carol

2016-12-15 20:08:11
Stephen

On the contrary, examine the evidence:

There are 4 generations from Edward III to Richard III through the Dukes of York.

There are about 18 generations from Edward III to the current “Beauforts”. One of the six donors has a different Y-chromosome to the others.

Therefore, any break is at least four times as likely to be in the “Beaufort” line as in the York line.

Sent: 15 December 2016 19:15
To:
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] membership

Marie wrote:

"Well, my thoughts are that the evidence is ambiguous. The dates we have are such that John could have been conceived when Hugh Swynford was still alive, and this is what Froissart believed. But Nico is right, and Gaunt claimed to the Pope that only he had been committing adultery in conceiving John Beaufort. I suspect this is probably true, and that what may have happened is that his comforting of Katherine after her husband's death got a little out of hand. But that's just my surmise."

Carol responds:

Thanks, Marie. I was hoping that John Beaufort was the answer to the Y chromosome discrepancy. Now I'm afraid it's Richard, Duke of York's father, Richard of Conisburgh, who was not a true descendant of Edward III. Still, that wouldn't affect either Richard III's claim to the throne or Edward IV's, since those claims were through Lionel of Antwerp, not Edmund of Langley.

Carol

2016-12-15 22:33:09
mariewalsh2003

Yes, Stephen is absolutely right. Simply looked at from a statistical viewpoint, the "false paternity event" (assuming only one) is more likely to be on the Beaufort line. We can't go assuming that Richard's Y-chromosome DNA would have been different from that of his Beaufort contemporaries simply because it differs from modern Beauforts who share a much later common ancestor.

2016-12-16 10:30:51
Nicholas Brown
On the subject of disputed parents, I was hoping to find a copy of a book called Secrets of the House of York, by Marylynn Salmon. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available anywhere but the author's website, costing around £45 - not a price I would like to pay for a book that sounds entertaining but far fetched. I was wondering if the Barton library has a copy.
The author seemed a bit upset in the latest Ricardian about Joanna Laynesmith rather dismissive review. Does anyone know if there is any basis for her theory that:
- Jacquetta of Luxembourg had affairs with both Richard, Duke of York and Edmund Beaufort, resulting in two illegitimate children (before she married Richard Woodville) - Elizabeth Woodville (with Richard) and Edward IV (with Edmund). She says Tudor roses were used in Edward IV's reign as a clandestine symbol of the union of the houses of York and Lancaster.

- Margaret Beaufort was Edward IV's mistress and had a number of children with him, including Cardinal Wolsey, William Warham and John Fisher.
- Richard III and Elizabeth of York had an illegitimate child.
- Edmund Beaufort was the biological father of Edward of Westminster (old news and possibly/probably true).

This really does sound like a casserole of nonsense, but does anyone know if there are any connections between these people which have been overlooked? Also, what is 'spiritual alchemy?'
Where the book sound like it might be really interesting her theory about Margaret Beaufort's failed plan to poison the Princes in the Tower and how it led to their identities being changed into Erasmus and Perkin Warbeck, as well as her poisoning of Isabel Neville, her baby and Edward of Middleham. I have always felt the Margaret Beaufort and Lord Stanley knew what happened to the Princes and were probably played some involvement in their fate.
Nico

On Thursday, 15 December 2016, 22:33, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes, Stephen is absolutely right. Simply looked at from a statistical viewpoint, the "false paternity event" (assuming only one) is more likely to be on the Beaufort line. We can't go assuming that Richard's Y-chromosome DNA would have been different from that of his Beaufort contemporaries simply because it differs from modern Beauforts who share a much later common ancestor.

2016-12-16 10:40:03
Sandra Wilson
I don't know either, Nico, and had heard most of these theories before. But I confess the thought of Margaret Beaufort and Edward IV made me choke on my coffee! Don't tell me she was the holiest whore'? From: mailto: Sent: Friday, December 16, 2016 10:27 AM To: Subject: Re: membership

On the subject of disputed parents, I was hoping to find a copy of a book called Secrets of the House of York, by Marylynn Salmon. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available anywhere but the author's website, costing around £45 - not a price I would like to pay for a book that sounds entertaining but far fetched. I was wondering if the Barton library has a copy. The author seemed a bit upset in the latest Ricardian about Joanna Laynesmith rather dismissive review. Does anyone know if there is any basis for her theory that: - Jacquetta of Luxembourg had affairs with both Richard, Duke of York and Edmund Beaufort, resulting in two illegitimate children (before she married Richard Woodville) - Elizabeth Woodville (with Richard) and Edward IV (with Edmund). She says Tudor roses were used in Edward IV's reign as a clandestine symbol of the union of the houses of York and Lancaster.
- Margaret Beaufort was Edward IV's mistress and had a number of children with him, including Cardinal Wolsey, William Warham and John Fisher. - Richard III and Elizabeth of York had an illegitimate child. - Edmund Beaufort was the biological father of Edward of Westminster (old news and possibly/probably true).
This really does sound like a casserole of nonsense, but does anyone know if there are any connections between these people which have been overlooked? Also, what is 'spiritual alchemy?'

2016-12-16 11:45:23
ricard1an
However, in her rebuttal of Joanna's review she fails to cite any evidence for her theories. You have to have evidence.
Mary

2016-12-16 16:53:26
Durose David
Hi Marie,Regarding Roland's age, your own logic shows that the birth date for him of 1474 is dubious. The fact that he was named in Robert Willoughby's mission to Brittany indicates he may have had a minor leadership role and be older than 16.
There is a source in Brittany, but you need a couple of logical steps before you can identify the entry as probably Roland.
First, the main problem other researchers have had is in not appreciating the tendency of Breton nobles to adopt the french version of their name - that is to say, the meaning of the name is translated directly and rather arbitrarily into french whenever they are away from the Breton speaking area of Brittany.
The Breton language is celtic, related to Welsh and Cornish and so the french translation is sometimes very different. Some examples...
The family de Penfentenyo started this practice according to tradition when Saint Louis had difficulty saying the name of one of his Breton followers on crusade. It is not an attempt to cover tracks, it is more a courtesy.
Guimarc'h ar Penfenteniou became Guillaume de Cheffontaines. The family used this as the name of their estate when it was raised to a marquisate.
The family has a good a Wikipedia page under the modern spelling Penfentenyo.
A second example is the mistress of Charles II, Louise de Keroual. The various spellings of her name are confusing, but this is not her family name, but the estate, or manor. Her family name was Penancoët. This was translated as Chef du Bois. Pen = top or end, Coet = wood.
My own name was sometimes rendered as du Tertre.
A more relevant example is an individual who followed Anne of Brittany to France and stayed. See the French Wikipedia page for their castle - the chateau de Chailvet.
Under the heading 'History of the Owners' you will see that the family name of Cozkaër was translated to Vielleville - they reached the title of Duke, but kept their coat of arms - the holly leaves - which doesn't help us.
Are you with me so far?
RegardsDavid

Sent from Yahoo Mail fsor iPad

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 15:31, mariewalsh2003 wrote:

Hi David,

What is your source for Roland's true age? Unless it is recorded somewhere, all we can surely say with any confidence is that he is highly unlikely to have been born later than the first months of 1473 since he accompanied the army to Brittany (under Sir John Cheyne) in 1489 (i.e. the normal call-up age was 16).

This is the appendix on Roland's arms from http://www.happywarrior.org/genealogy/roland.htm#part3

"This information has been extracted from 'The Development of Welsh Heraldry' (1993) by Dr. M. P. Siddons, Welsh Herald Extraordinary. Please refer to that book for an explanation of the sources.

As far I can see from this information, Velville has been attributed with basically two different coats of arms, the first is item 1 below and the second is item 2. I think it is likely that item 3 is another interpretation of item 2.1, that is Velville's senior quartering. I would make a tentative guess that item 1 is the coat of arms granted to Velville upon his being knighted after the battle of Blackheath in 1497 (though I cannot think why he should be granted arms when it appears that he already had a coat of arms) and that item 2 represents his 'proper' coat of arms, that is the arms he inherited by birth. The unquartered coat of arms of his father would therefore appear to be item 2.1 but item 3 may be a more correct interpretation. The arms of Velville's father would appear to be 'argent/or, a boar passant/statant sable', either 'armed or, langued gules' or not as the case may be*.

*This means, in plain English, either a gold (or) or white (argent) background surmounted by a black boar (a boar sable), either walking past with its head sideways on (looking to its front i.e. left) and with its right paw raised (passant) or standing (head on the left, tail on the right) on its four paws with its head looking towards you (statant), either with gold teeth (armed or) and a red tongue (langued gules), or not as the case maybe.

It is, of course, intruiging that Velville should have been attributed with a coat of arms such as 2 below. This would seem to imply that the identity of both his father and mother was known. According to Dr. Siddons, John Writhe, Garter King of Arms (see below), would have actually known Velville. On the other hand, SF1 refers to a manuscript prepared for Katherine of Berain (Velville's grand-daughter) by Simwnt Fychan. It is possible that this coat of arms actually refers back to the ancestors of the Tudors amongst the Welsh princely families but I have not yet investigated this matter. Dr. Siddons has confirmed that it is 'unusual' that such apparent confusion should arise.

Writhe's Knights.

Harleian.

In fact, the few sources I found online suggest that the maternal arms, 'argent, a lion rampant gules, crowned or,' were in a Breton context the arms of the house of Goyon. There is a village named La Vieille-ville between the Goyon castles of Quintin and Le Blois Gle.

I'd be very interested if anybody has any ideas regarding the paternal arms.

The following (from the same website) are translations of late-Tudor bardic elegies of Roland's descendants:

"Great-grandson of gilded Sir Roland
He was purely descended from the ancient blood of Brittany"

"From your grandmother you issued from a tribe who excelled,
And was of the race of the earls of all England."

"Lineages came to you adroitly in a fine manner
A gentle peacock who was the kinsman of the stags of Penmynydd."

(Penmynydd being the Tudor ancestral home in Anglesey.)

Tudor - i.e. Anglesey - ancestry could explain why Henry VIII's chose to make him constable of Beaumaris.

Marie

2016-12-16 19:32:05
mariewalsh2003

Hi Nico,

I heard Marylynn speak at the last Study Day, and I'm afraid that her theories, as she explained them there, were very misconceived. She normally deals with 17th or 18th century women's history, I understand, and she is certainly way out of her depth with the 15th century and had misinterpreted just about every piece of documentary evidence she presented. I believe she's a very nice person, so it's a pity she has been upset, but what can I say - reviews have to be honest and I felt that Joanna's was as diplomatic as it could be.

The below is from memory:-

For her theory about Edward and Edmund:-

1) More's statement about Edward IV's age reveals that he was older than we think;

2) York could not have been negotiating with Charles VII for the marriages of Edward and Edmund to Charles' daughters if Edward and Edmund were only tots (I know, this is to misunderstand 15th century norms);

3) In their letter to their father,h Edward and Edmund described themselves as his "natural" sons. She claims this definitely meant illegitimate. The fact is this was *not* the meaning of the word natural with regard to children in the 15th century - it simply meant they were one's own biological sons. People not infrequently refer to their 'natural son and heir' in wills. Another effect of the author having flown in from the 18th century without realising that the past is not another country but a lot of different other countries.

4) She is making the mistake of assuming that the House of Lancaster used the Red Rose before Bosworth. There is no evidence whatsoever that they did so (there were roses used but the colour is unclear and more likely gold). Edward did indeed occasionally use the Red Rose in conjunction with the White Rose, but then so did Richard. She would seem to have got the info about Edward and the Red Rose from Jonathan Hughes' book Arthurian Myths and Alchemy: The Kingship of Edward IV (which is itself highly misleading). The idea is that alchemy was not just physical chemistry but had underlying semi-religious principles which could be harnessed for spiritual development. So the Red King and the White Queen of alchemy are associated on one level with Christ and Our Lady, whose symbols were, amongst other things, the Red Rose and the White.

5) How she hit on Jacquetta as Edward IV's mother, I really couldn't explain at this point.

Can't remember what evidence M.S. gave for Edward's affair with MB either, except that it wasn't very covincing.

I don't remember anything about Richard and Elizabeth's little basket, but M.S. might be interested to know that one of Henry's dispensations for his marriage to Elizabeth did include a 'possible' impediment of affinity (i.e. a possible prior sexual union between one of them and a blood relative of the other), but it was *not* in the correct number of degrees for a relationship between Elizabeth and Richard.

I do recall that we ended up with Erasmus being Edward V, and Richard Duke of York, after confessing to being Perkin Warbeck, being sent to be a monk at Glastonbury whilst an imposter was hanged in his place. Not sure how that was all arrived at, though.

It would indeed be worth asking the Non-Fiction books librarian if he has a copy because review copies are often passed on to him if the reviewer isn't interested in keeping.

Marie

2016-12-16 19:58:56
mariewalsh2003

David wrote:

Regarding Roland's age, your own logic shows that the birth date for him of 1474 is dubious. The fact that he was named in Robert Willoughby's mission to Brittany indicates he may have had a minor leadership role and be older than 16.

Marie:

I agree 1474 is dubious - that was surely my point in drawing attention to the 1489 evidence.

My understanding is that Roland didn't have a leadership role in that campaign, but is merely listed as serving under Cheyne.

But that does not count as evidence that he was 10 years older than that, as per your last post. My observation that we have no evidence for his participation at either Bosworth or Stoke casts some doubt on that.

David said:There is a source in Brittany, but you need a couple of logical steps before you can identify the entry as probably Roland.
First, the main problem other researchers have had is in not appreciating the tendency of Breton nobles to adopt the french version of their name - that is to say, the meaning of the name is translated directly and rather arbitrarily into french whenever they are away from the Breton speaking area of Brittany.
The Breton language is celtic, related to Welsh and Cornish and so the french translation is sometimes very different. Some examples...
The family de Penfentenyo started this practice according to tradition when Saint Louis had difficulty saying the name of one of his Breton followers on crusade. It is not an attempt to cover tracks, it is more a courtesy.
Guimarc'h ar Penfenteniou became Guillaume de Cheffontaines. The family used this as the name of their estate when it was raised to a marquisate.
A second example is the mistress of Charles II, Louise de Keroual. The various spellings of her name are confusing, but this is not her family name, but the estate, or manor. Her family name was Penancoët. This was translated as Chef du Bois. Pen = top or end, Coet = wood.
A more relevant example is an individual who followed Anne of Brittany to France and stayed. See the French Wikipedia page for their castle - the chateau de Chailvet.
Under the heading 'History of the Owners' you will see that the family name of Cozkaër was translated to Vielleville - they reached the title of Duke, but kept their coat of arms - the holly leaves - which doesn't help us.
Are you with me so far?
Marie:Well with you (I have a smattering of both Irish and Welsh). Your find of the Cozkaer/ Vieuville family is very interesting, but of course no one has ever denied that Roland was Breton on his mother's side. Also, since Roland did not use arms until he was knighted in England, it's not clear how he chose the arms he took. As you say, no holly leaves in Roland's recorded arms, and as Wikpedia observes, there was also a Picard family of the same name. If Roland wanted to translate a Breton surname, then since he had settled in England he could have called himself Oldcastle. At the time he is first recorded in England (1488) Anne of Brittany had yet to travel to France so the Cozcaers had yet to become Vieuvilles.What do you make of the 16th century Welsh bardic sources extolling Roland's Tudor ancestry?

2016-12-17 14:50:25
Nicholas Brown
Thanks Marie for explaining that. I agree with you that she does sound unfamiliar with the 15th century and has jumped to some wild conclusions by misinterpreting aspects of medieval life. It sounds entertaining though so I will check to see if Joanna Laynesmith passed on her book.
Nico

On Friday, 16 December 2016, 19:58, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

David wrote:Regarding Roland's age, your own logic shows that the birth date for him of 1474 is dubious. The fact that he was named in Robert Willoughby's mission to Brittany indicates he may have had a minor leadership role and be older than 16.
Marie:I agree 1474 is dubious - that was surely my point in drawing attention to the 1489 evidence. My understanding is that Roland didn't have a leadership role in that campaign, but is merely listed as serving under Cheyne.But that does not count as evidence that he was 10 years older than that, as per your last post. My observation that we have no evidence for his participation at either Bosworth or Stoke casts some doubt on that.
David said:There is a source in Brittany, but you need a couple of logical steps before you can identify the entry as probably Roland.
Are you with me so far?
Marie:Well with you (I have a smattering of both Irish and Welsh). Your find of the Cozkaer/ Vieuville family is very interesting, but of course no one has ever denied that Roland was Breton on his mother's side. Also, since Roland did not use arms until he was knighted in England, it's not clear how he chose the arms he took. As you say, no holly leaves in Roland's recorded arms, and as Wikpedia observes, there was also a Picard family of the same name. If Roland wanted to translate a Breton surname, then since he had settled in England he could have called himself Oldcastle. At the time he is first recorded in England (1488) Anne of Brittany had yet to travel to France so the Cozcaers had yet to become Vieuvilles.What do you make of the 16th century Welsh bardic sources extolling Roland's Tudor ancestry?

2016-12-17 17:08:38
justcarol67

Marie wrote:

"Yes, Stephen is absolutely right. Simply looked at from a statistical viewpoint, the "false paternity event" (assuming only one) is more likely to be on the Beaufort line. We can't go assuming that Richard's Y-chromosome DNA would have been different from that of his Beaufort contemporaries simply because it differs from modern Beauforts who share a much later common ancestor."

Carol responds:

That's reassuring. Thank you both. Nevertheless, I'd like to have a definitive answer, which would require examining the Y chromosome of Edward III. And, of course, there's also the question of Edward IV's paternity. Scientists would need *his* Y chromosome to determine whether the Bones in the Urn were those of his children--assuming that they were both boys.

Carol

2016-12-17 17:37:11
Stephen

“Scientists would need *his* Y chromosome to determine whether the Bones in the Urn were those of his children--assuming that they were both boys.”

Not necessarily!

Glen Moran’s appendix (pp. 234-43) in the latest JA-H, as reviewed in Murrey and Blue on Boxing Day, goes a very long way to providing a solution to the bones’ DNA, although there is a complicating factor from the following century. Many of you will have read The Private Life of Edward IV by now J

Sent: 17 December 2016 17:09
To:
Subject: RE: [Richard III Society Forum] membership

Marie wrote:

"Yes, Stephen is absolutely right. Simply looked at from a statistical viewpoint, the "false paternity event" (assuming only one) is more likely to be on the Beaufort line. We can't go assuming that Richard's Y-chromosome DNA would have been different from that of his Beaufort contemporaries simply because it differs from modern Beauforts who share a much later common ancestor."

Carol responds:

That's reassuring. Thank you both. Nevertheless, I'd like to have a definitive answer, which would require examining the Y chromosome of Edward III. And, of course, there's also the question of Edward IV's paternity. Scientists would need *his* Y chromosome to determine whether the Bones in the Urn were those of his children--assuming that they were both boys.

Carol

2016-12-17 19:47:15
mariewalsh2003

We'd all like definitive answers, but as you say the only way those can be had is by a lot of DNA testing. Statistical evidence is one thing, and points towards the Beauforts, but against that we have to set the suspicions over the paternity of Richard Earl of Cambridge.

And there's even an outside possibility that John Beaufort was Swynford's child but Katherine cannily managed to persuade Gaunt otherwise.

And Edward IV, as you say, is another question again.

Probably not much chance of permission being granted to DNA test any more remains.

There are a lot of unknowns with the history of this period, and these questions are amongst them.

Maybe one day. . . .

2016-12-17 20:31:03
Durose David
Marie,There is much more. But first, there is no reason to interpret Roland's non-appearance in documentation at Bosworth or Stoke in terms of his age.
A link to a short article about the Cozkaer / Cosquer family by a Breton historian who specialises in transcribing old documents. You will see at the bottom that there are two families of the same name - one which gave rise to the Dukes in France (from Combrit).
The other unrelated family is known since 1050 in Ros an bo.
http://www.laperenne-zine.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=515
The following link shows the coat of arms of the other - relevant - Cozkaers
http://dechav.free.fr/armorial/blason.php?id=Cosquer
As you will see, this is precisely the blason that Roland placed in his 'father's quarter' in his coat of arms. Gold, with a black sanglier - wild boar.
So, there is actually no mystery. Roland's name is Cosquer / Cozkaer of Rosanbo and his coat of arms says that as well. The castle of Rosanbo is one of the most important in Brittany and is still occupied by the same family, although a single change of name occurred as a result of an heiress. The gardens are laid out around a statue of the black boar.
As to the other family coats of arms, I have identified them all as nearby houses, with links to the Cosquers of Rosanbo.
As for the bardic poetry, it can be interpreted in different ways - one says Roland was of the pure blood of Brittany.
The mention of Roland in Brittany is in a Montre or Muster of Saint-Brieuc in 1479. He stands in the muster in the place of a female Saoullet - listed as Rolland le Cosquer. There are quite a few Cosquers on the Musters of that year and in 1481.
Standing in for a widow would be standard practice for a young noble who had not yet inherited at that time - but the substitute had to be of military age and equipped.
The earliest of the bardic writings says he was of an earl's blood and a kingly line. This is very similar to the formula used by familes descended from the Counts of Leon - 'issue of the counts of Leon and the ancient kings of Brittany'.
The claim of a connection to all the Earls of England can also be explained by the Leon descent.
The connection of both Guillaume de la Riviere and Roland's family with the Cathedral of Treguier gives an explanation why Roland may have felt a connection with north Wales, and a possible means by which they may have been recruited to Henry's cause. Henry visited the Cathedral on pilgrimage in 1484.
Kind regardsDavid

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
On 16 Dec 2016, 19:58:59, mariewalsh2003 wrote:

David wrote:

Regarding Roland's age, your own logic shows that the birth date for him of 1474 is dubious. The fact that he was named in Robert Willoughby's mission to Brittany indicates he may have had a minor leadership role and be older than 16.

Marie:

I agree 1474 is dubious - that was surely my point in drawing attention to the 1489 evidence.

My understanding is that Roland didn't have a leadership role in that campaign, but is merely listed as serving under Cheyne.

But that does not count as evidence that he was 10 years older than that, as per your last post. My observation that we have no evidence for his participation at either Bosworth or Stoke casts some doubt on that.

Are you with me so far?

On 16 Dec 2016, 19:58:59, mariewalsh2003 wrote:

David wrote:

Marie:

Are you with me so far?

2016-12-20 13:57:00
mariewalsh2003

David wrote:

There is much more. But first, there is no reason to interpret Roland's non-appearance in documentation at Bosworth or Stoke in terms of his age.

A link to a short article about the Cozkaer / Cosquer family by a Breton historian who specialises in transcribing old documents. You will see at the bottom that there are two families of the same name - one which gave rise to the Dukes in France (from Combrit).The other unrelated family is known since 1050 in Ros an bo.http://www.laperenne-zine.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=515The following link shows the coat of arms of the other - relevant - Cozkaershttp://dechav.free.fr/armorial/blason.php?id=CosquerAs you will see, this is precisely the blason that Roland placed in his 'father's quarter' in his coat of arms. Gold, with a black sanglier - wild boar.So, there is actually no mystery. Roland's name is Cosquer / Cozkaer of Rosanbo and his coat of arms says that as well. The castle of Rosanbo is one of the most important in Brittany and is still occupied by the same family, although a single change of name occurred as a result of an heiress. The gardens are laid out around a statue of the black boar.As to the other family coats of arms, I have identified them all as nearby houses, with links to the Cosquers of Rosanbo.As for the bardic poetry, it can be interpreted in different ways - one says Roland was of the pure blood of Brittany.The mention of Roland in Brittany is in a Montre or Muster of Saint-Brieuc in 1479. He stands in the muster in the place of a female Saoullet - listed as Rolland le Cosquer. There are quite a few Cosquers on the Musters of that year and in 1481.Standing in for a widow would be standard practice for a young noble who had not yet inherited at that time - but the substitute had to be of military age and equipped.The earliest of the bardic writings says he was of an earl's blood and a kingly line. This is very similar to the formula used by familes descended from the Counts of Leon - 'issue of the counts of Leon and the ancient kings of Brittany'.The claim of a connection to all the Earls of England can also be explained by the Leon descent. The connection of both Guillaume de la Riviere and Roland's family with the Cathedral of Treguier gives an explanation why Roland may have felt a connection with north Wales, and a possible means by which they may have been recruited to Henry's cause. Henry visited the Cathedral on pilgrimage in 1484.

Marie replies:

Hi David,

That information looks much more promising, I must say - thanks very much indeed for passing it on. Can you give me time to look at it properly, though, before I respond properly? Just overloaded with Christmas stuff at present.

Just two very quick observations:-

(1) The Cozkaer and Cozquer names may really have had different meanings originally. In modern Breton at any rate, ker (quer) is the normal form of the word that means fortress/ house, but kaer means handsome or beautiful. So the Cozkaers may originally have been named for some good-looking elderly gent, but it suited them for some reason to present themselves as Vieuvilles in France. I don't know if you have any contacts who specialise in medieval Breton and could comment on that.

(2) I presume the Roland Cozquer of the muster, if identical to Roland de Velville, would not have been the heir to the house or else he would not have felt the need to make a new life for himself in England. Does the muster give any clue as to whether he could have been a younger son?

2017-01-07 13:43:18
mariewalsh2003

David wrote:

There is much more. But first, there is no reason to interpret Roland's non-appearance in documentation at Bosworth or Stoke in terms of his age.

A link to a short article about the Cozkaer / Cosquer family by a Breton historian who specialises in transcribing old documents. You will see at the bottom that there are two families of the same name - one which gave rise to the Dukes in France (from Combrit).The other unrelated family is known since 1050 in Ros an bo.http://www.laperenne-zine.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=515The following link shows the coat of arms of the other - relevant - Cozkaershttp://dechav.free.fr/armorial/blason.php?id=CosquerAs you will see, this is precisely the blason that Roland placed in his 'father's quarter' in his coat of arms. Gold, with a black sanglier - wild boar.

Hi David,

Happy New Year to you and everyone else!

I promised I'd come back on this when I'd had a chance to look at it properly, didn't I? Now, to begin with I was very excited, but when I looked at your first claim - i.e. that Roland's paternal quartering was the same as the blazon of the Coskaers of Rosanbo, I'm afraid that's not what I found.

According to the Happy Warrior site, Roland de Velville's arms were silver for the field (not gold, as in the Coskaer arms), with a black boar langued or and armed gules (i.e. with red tongue and gold claws).

Checking the details of the arms of the Coskaers of Rosanbo in a heraldry book, I confirmed that the Coskaer boar does not sport the red tongue and golden claws, plus there was a further discrepancy - viz. Roland de Velville's boar is stantant whereas the Coskaer one is passant. In other words, the two blasons have nothing in common except for a black boar of some description.

I'll post again on the 16th-century bardic allusions to Roland's ancestry.

I'm gutted, actually, because I am also uncomfortable about Roland as Henry's son, simply because he would have to have conceived when Henry was very young, and one would think that there would then have been further illegitimate offspring during all those years in exile - also taking arms with 4 quarters like that is rather odd and the information from the various quarters really should help us solve the mystery.

2017-01-08 19:18:51
Durose David
Thanks Marie,Happy new year to all.
Fear not, if you read further on in the quite long article, you will find that the non-matching boar is a red herring (perhaps that should have been Roland's blason). The writer states that the gold / black combination is most likely to be his claimed ancestry.
I have exchanged information with one of his descendants. A photo of a contemporary manuscript decorated with his arms match exactly.
I have traced all the other quarters, and all are related and from the same area. By coincidence M Torchet shared a paper he had prepared for a conference on the nobility of Tregor in the 14th century on a forum. One of the illustrations was a map of the diocese with the locations of the noble families. He mentions Cosquer. Their gold / black sanglier is also the arms of the diocese of Leon and represented an enclave of Leon in Tregor.
I have identified all the quarterings and they are coherent with related families. The red with a label of gold is a very ancient and simple design. The bars of red and white are the later arms of the same family. One of the quarters is de Kerimel.
Famille de Kerimel  Wikipédia Famille de Kerimel  Wikipédia

Regarding your other questions,
The origin / meaning of the name does not need an expert in Breton, because Pol Potier de Courcy (seen as the most complete and accurate work) uses the phrase "lord of the said place" - indicating they took the name from the manor, and Vieilleville is one of their listed manors.
The motto of the family appears to be pun on the dual meaning of Kaer.
Devise de vieilles familles nobles bretonnes Devise de vieilles familles nobles bretonnes

TUDJENTIL BREIZH , Association de la Noblesse Bretonne

I think it very likely that Roland was a younger son. If he is the Roland of muster then he held no noble land at that time, otherwise he would have appeared in his own right.
Kind regardsDavid

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, January 7, 2017, 13:43, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

David wrote:

A link to a short article about the Cozkaer / Cosquer family by a Breton historian who specialises in transcribing old documents. You will see at the bottom that there are two families of the same name - one which gave rise to the Dukes in France (from Combrit).The other unrelated family is known since 1050 in Ros an bo.http://www.laperenne-zine.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=515The following link shows the coat of arms of the other - relevant - Cozkaershttp://dechav.free.fr/armorial/blason.php?id=CosquerAs you will see, this is precisely the blason that Roland placed in his 'father's quarter' in his coat of arms. Gold, with a black sanglier - wild boar.

Hi David,

Happy New Year to you and everyone else!

I promised I'd come back on this when I'd had a chance to look at it properly, didn't I? Now, to begin with I was very excited, but when I looked at your first claim - i.e. that Roland's paternal quartering was the same as the blazon of the Coskaers of Rosanbo, I'm afraid that's not what I found.

According to the Happy Warrior site, Roland de Velville's arms were silver for the field (not gold, as in the Coskaer arms), with a black boar langued or and armed gules (i.e. with red tongue and gold claws).

Checking the details of the arms of the Coskaers of Rosanbo in a heraldry book, I confirmed that the Coskaer boar does not sport the red tongue and golden claws, plus there was a further discrepancy - viz. Roland de Velville's boar is stantant whereas the Coskaer one is passant. In other words, the two blasons have nothing in common except for a black boar of some description.

I'll post again on the 16th-century bardic allusions to Roland's ancestry.

I'm gutted, actually, because I am also uncomfortable about Roland as Henry's son, simply because he would have to have conceived when Henry was very young, and one would think that there would then have been further illegitimate offspring during all those years in exile - also taking arms with 4 quarters like that is rather odd and the information from the various quarters really should help us solve the mystery.

2017-01-12 07:19:30
mariewalsh2003

David wrote:

Fear not, if you read further on in the quite long article, you will find that the non-matching boar is a red herring (perhaps that should have been Roland's blason). The writer states that the gold / black combination is most likely to be his claimed ancestry.I have exchanged information with one of his descendants. A photo of a contemporary manuscript decorated with his arms match exactly.I have traced all the other quarters, and all are related and from the same area. By coincidence M Torchet shared a paper he had prepared for a conference on the nobility of Tregor in the 14th century on a forum. One of the illustrations was a map of the diocese with the locations of the noble families. He mentions Cosquer. Their gold / black sanglier is also the arms of the diocese of Leon and represented an enclave of Leon in Tregor.I have identified all the quarterings and they are coherent with related families. The red with a label of gold is a very ancient and simple design. The bars of red and white are the later arms of the same family. One of the quarters is de Kerimel.
Marie replies:Hi David. I've had a closer look at the sources, and I'm afraid I'm back to the drawing board. Unfortunately I can't get a look at the book the Happy Warrior website gives as its reference for the primary sources that list Roland's arms, but as you know they are not consistent. I would like to have the full references for these sources in order to date them. Apart from the 'Harleian' source disagreeing with others over the details of the black boar blazon, there is a discrepancy regarding which of the blasons was the main one.What is clear is that "Writhe's Knights" must be contemporary, and should be reliable, since Sir John Writhe was Garter King of Arms when Roland was knighted, and died just a few years later, in 1504. He gives:Argent, a lion rampant gules, charged with a bezant on the shoulderand does not refer to any quarterings.Now, although the later sources give quarterings, with the black boar as the paternal quarter and (where it is mentioned at all), the red lion as the maternal arms, there are clues that Writhe's testimony may (as one would expect) actually be correct. First, the Harleian source gives red lions as his supporters and a lion's head as his crest; but more tellingly, one of the Welsh bardic poems, seemingly written in the late 1580s and addressed to Roland's great-grandson John Salusbury, refers to Roland as a stag, viz:lineages came to you adroitly in a fine mannerFrom the blood of Velville in profusion,The stag perceived to be a generous kinsman. . .So that makes the contemporary manuscript decorated with his arms extremely important. Could you possibly tell us the name and, if possible, the date of the manuscript? Because the suspicion otherwise must be that Writhe is right, in which case Roland himself never used quartered arms, but his family later added the quarterings from the other Breton families from which they were descended, but without much care as regards the order.
I said I'd also get back to you on the bardic references. I've put these in date order, and looked at them, and I'm afraid I find it difficult to explain away all the talk of exalted lineage just in terms of his Breton descent. For instance, we start in the very year of his death with the two claims: "A man of kingly line and of earl's blood."Then in the late 1580s we have the claim that he was "a kinsman of the stags of Penmynydd". Penmynydd was the ancient Tudor home, of course, and this seems to me to be an unambiguous claim of Tudor blood.In 1602 comes the equally unambiguous claim that his descendant of the time was 'of a line near to (or perhaps 'from the breast of') the crown and of its blood.'
Now of course the family may have improved both Roland's arms and his lineage during the two or three generations since his death, but even the elegy written for him on his death states that he was 'of a kingly line.'
Certainly the idea that he was some great person's illegitimate son surfaces in writing quite soon, with an early 17th century writer noting that he was reported (perhaps officially?) to have been the illegitimate son of the Duke of Brittany although most writers are of the opinion that he was Henry VII's son.
So I'm afraid that, being honest with myself, I still can't say that Roland has been proven not to be Henry's son, but as I say, a reference for the MS with the arms would be very welcome and might help.
Marie

2017-01-12 19:19:04
mariewalsh2003
Please ignore the stag in my last post! My only excuse is tht I had been up all knight. Of course, the other arms are a lion, not a stag!
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.