Really?

Really?

2016-11-30 15:05:48
Paul Trevor Bale
Just taken delivery of the new Bulletin.
On the back cover is the Society's shop page.
One book has this written next to it&
This biography strips away the propaganda of centuries to rescue Richard from his critics and supporters alike, providing a balanced and compelling portrait of this most infamous of kings.
When I saw it was referring to a book by Michael Hicks I realised it is a joke!
Richard has never needed rescuing' from my support, and Hicks not only repeats the propaganda of centuries but embellishes it with numerous fictions of his own.
And of course Richard is only infamous' to those who get their history from Shakespeare and the likes of writers like Hicks!
Paul

Richard Liveth Yet

Re: Really?

2016-11-30 15:32:05
judygerard.thomson
Hear! Hear!

Really?

2016-11-30 16:06:33
Paul Trevor Bale
This biography strips away the propaganda of centuries to rescue Richard from his critics and supporters alike, providing a balanced and compelling portrait of this most infamous of kings.
Richard has never needed rescuing' from my support, and Hicks not only repeats the propaganda of centuries but embellishes it with numerous fictions of his own.
And of course Richard is only infamous' to those who get their history from Shakespeare and the likes of writers like Hicks!
Paul

Richard Liveth Yet

2016-11-30 16:31:36
Sandra Wilson
Sometimes the Society just plain sucks! From: mailto: Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 3:02 PM To: Subject: Really?

Paul

Richard Liveth Yet

2016-11-30 20:02:18
mariewalsh2003

Paul,

This is merely the publisher's blurb - you can find it on Amazon and everywhere else the book is sold. It may be unfortunate but there you are.

2016-11-30 22:47:16
Johanne Tournier

That possibility occurred to me, too, Marie. But it's one thing to have a description on Amazon that's farcical, but why on earth should that be countenanced in an official publication of the Society? Someone should be exercising editorial control.

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier
Email - jltournier60@...

Get Outlook for Android

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:02 PM -0400, "mariewalsh2003" <[email protected]> wrote:

Paul,

This is merely the publisher's blurb - you can find it on Amazon and everywhere else the book is sold. It may be unfortunate but there you are.

2016-12-01 09:14:28
Hilary Jones
I wish they'd spent more of their paltry money on putting things like this right than distributing the odd flag!
Just an aside, but I think people today often use the word 'infamous' when they mean 'well known or famous'. You hear it on TV all the time. Sloppy English I'm afraid. But with Hicks I'm afraid it is what it says H

To: "" <>
Sent: Wednesday, 30 November 2016, 16:31
Subject: Re: Really?

Sometimes the Society just plain sucks! From: mailto: Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 3:02 PM To: Subject: Really? Just taken delivery of the new Bulletin.
Paul

Richard Liveth Yet

2016-12-01 12:12:18
mariewalsh2003

I'm not a fan of the flag either. My Bulletin hasn't arrived yet, but this does sound like a storm in a teacup to me. Looking at the sales area on the web, every book has a thumbnail with picture of front cover and publisher's blurb. I imagine the back page of The Ricardian is just a copy of the same?

This is not an official statement - I haven't spoken to anyone about it - but it seems to me that unless the Society were to find yet another volunteer to read every book on the sales list (now running to about 15 pages) and write a Society-friendly blurb for each one, I can't see how this could have been avoided. If that were done, then those blurbs would need to go back to the authors/ publishers for approval anyway. If the editor of The Bulletin had singled out Hicks' book for a rewriting of its blurb, that would have offended Michael Hicks, which might not bother most members, but the Society is having to work with him as he is the leader of Winchester University's IPMs publication project, which the Society is helping to fund and which will be a huge aid to research of the period.

Anyway, how is the rest of The Bulletin?

2016-12-02 10:41:56
PAUL BALE
My point entirely Johanne. Thank you.
I am also perplexed that the Society should be supporting such an openly hostile and often vindictive writer.
Paul

--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 30/11/16, Johanne Tournier jltournier60@... [] <> wrote:

Subject: Re: Re: Really?
To: "" <>
Date: Wednesday, 30 November, 2016, 22:47

That possibility occurred
to me, too, Marie. But it's one thing to have a
description on Amazon that's farcical, but why on earth
should that be countenanced in an official publication of
the Society? Someone should be exercising editorial
control.

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier
Email - jltournier60@...

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:02 PM -0400,
"mariewalsh2003" <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
wrote:

Paul,

This is merely the publisher's blurb - you
can find it on Amazon and everywhere else the book is sold.
It may be unfortunate but there you are.

2016-12-02 11:02:13
Johanne Tournier
Dear Marie -

I think the thing about having to get someone to read every book and write new blurbs is a straw man. That seems like an obviously impractical solution and so can be dismissed.

But look at it this way - the publisher's blurb is misleading and inaccurate. Why should the Society be under any obligation to print an inaccurate description? Doesn't the publisher have a duty to present a fairly accurate summary of the book?

So, perhaps the Society is cooperating with Hicks on a joint project which will be for the benefit of all. It sounds like this is divorced from his "historical" writing. So in a case like that, does the Society really have to tread lightly if Hicks's work is really "out there"? Doesn't he need the cooperation of the Society for this project as much as the Society needs him? And will Hicks ever know if the description that appears in Society publications has been revised or not?

So - my bottom line is not that the Society needs to get someone to read every book, but someone who is knowledgeable of the literature in the field should be reviewing the publisher's blurbs and amending/correcting them in cases of egregious errors. The other option, of course, would be to get back to the publisher and advise them of the situation and ask that it be rectified. These two suggestions are not mutually exclusive.

My $.02. [= ]

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

email - jltournier60@...

Sent from Outlook<http://aka.ms/weboutlook>

Sent: December 1, 2016 8:12 AM
To:
Subject: Re: Really?

I'm not a fan of the flag either. My Bulletin hasn't arrived yet, but this does sound like a storm in a teacup to me. Looking at the sales area on the web, every book has a thumbnail with picture of front cover and publisher's blurb. I imagine the back page of The Ricardian is just a copy of the same?

This is not an official statement - I haven't spoken to anyone about it - but it seems to me that unless the Society were to find yet another volunteer to read every book on the sales list (now running to about 15 pages) and write a Society-friendly blurb for each one, I can't see how this could have been avoided. If that were done, then those blurbs would need to go back to the authors/ publishers for approval anyway. If the editor of The Bulletin had singled out Hicks' book for a rewriting of its blurb, that would have offended Michael Hicks, which might not bother most members, but the Society is having to work with him as he is the leader of Winchester University's IPMs publication project, which the Society is helping to fund and which will be a huge aid to research of the period.

Anyway, how is the rest of The Bulletin?

2016-12-02 12:17:53
mariewalsh2003

Hi Paul and Johanne,

I must say I really am saddened by this - genuinely. Perhaps that's because so many of the people I personally know in the Society dedicate almost all their spare time to keeping it running as volunteers. Sales was passed over to a commercial company to ease the pressure. The Bulletin editor works extremely hard and has other Society duties as well. There are no doubt lots of people who dislike the tone of the Society and would like to run it themselves, but they'd be horrified if thy knew the work involved and the difficulty keeping everybody happy.* Believe it or not, there are other new members who find the Bulletin too fan-sy.

*And the skills needed for high-quality primary research.

My Bulletin has arrived now (Johanne, I think I'm right in thinking you're US-based, so I'm not clear whether you have actually seen it yet). Clearly the problem with the blurb to Hicks' book was noted because "[publisher's description]" has been added to the end of it - Paul, I do think you should have made that clear to the forum. We've got a wonderful 80-page magazine with beautiful colour illustrations throughout and some fascinating historical articles,* but all we have had here so far is outrage about a thumbnail on the back cover which clearly states that it is nothing more than the publisher's blurb. As I say, I'm too sad about this to be angry.

2016-12-03 19:52:08
maroonnavywhite
I suspect that the Society will probably have learned a lesson about making sure that everyone understands that, as with most book ads in most publications, the book descriptions are publishers' blurbs and not the opinion of the magazine itself.
Perhaps from now on, a simple message at the top of the first book ads page to this effect might be helpful?
Tamara

Re: {Disarmed} [Richard III Society Forum] Re: Really?

2016-12-04 16:28:11
Doug Stamate
Tamara wrote: I suspect that the Society will probably have learned a lesson about making sure that everyone understands that, as with most book ads in most publications, the book descriptions are publishers' blurbs and not the opinion of the magazine itself. Perhaps from now on, a simple message at the top of the first book ads page to this effect might be helpful? Doug here: FWIW, I noticed that at the bottom of the blurb for Hicks' book there is this: (Publisher's description). I also noticed that, on the title page of the Bulletin, there is a paragraph directly after the list of the Executive Committee members which states: The Ricardian Bulletin is produced by the Bulletin Editorial Committee. ricardian.bulletin@... (copyright symbol*) Richard III Society 2016 (*I couldn't reproduce the symbol itself) ISSN 0308 4337 Individual contributions and illustrations (copyright symbol) the contributors except where otherwise noted. (my emphasis) So, there already is a statement, but it likely wouldn't hurt to feature it more prominently if possible. Doug
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

2016-12-04 18:37:31
Johanne Tournier

Hi, Doug!

I think Tamara's and your suggestions are worth considering. As a somewhat tongue in cheek suggestion, I might suggest putting the publishers description, in the case of egregious overstatement like the one for Hicks's book, in quotation marks, and then putting "sic" in parentheses or brackets at the end. That would get the idea across! This technique could be reserved for extreme examples. :-)

Get Outlook for Android

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 12:28 PM -0400, "'Doug Stamate' destama@... []" <> wrote:

Tamara wrote: “I suspect that the Society will probably have learned a lesson about making sure that everyone understands that, as with most book ads in most publications, the book descriptions are publishers' blurbs and not the opinion of the magazine itself. Perhaps from now on, a simple message at the top of the first book ads page to this effect might be helpful?” Doug here: FWIW, I noticed that at the bottom of the blurb for Hicks’ book there is this: “(Publisher’s description)”. I also noticed that, on the title page of the Bulletin, there is a paragraph directly after the list of the Executive Committee members which states: “The Ricardian Bulletin is produced by the Bulletin Editorial Committee. ricardian.bulletin@... (copyright symbol*) Richard III Society 2016 (*I couldn’t reproduce the symbol itself) ISSN 0308 4337 Individual contributions and illustrations (copyright symbol) the contributors except where otherwise noted. (my emphasis)” So, there already is a statement, but it likely wouldn’t hurt to feature it more prominently if possible. Doug
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

2016-12-04 19:37:22
b.eileen25
It seems the mere mention of the name "Hicks" sets of a violent reaction....I can't think why>But seriously its a great shame because the Bulletin is a wonderful publication. In December's one alone articles on RofYs influence on his son by Matthew Lewis, the marriage of Anne and Richard, by Marie and Annette, the debate on the translation of Mancini continued, a digital reconstruction of Middleham Castle, a response by Marylynn Salmon to the Laynesmith review of her rather strange book and so much more. Its fabulous. Eileen

2016-12-05 08:55:23
Hilary Jones
I do though think the Society could save a fortune by 'publishing' the Bulletin digitally only. In one of my other lives I'm a photographer and nobody under 50 buys hardcopy these days - printing is just too expensive, let alone the administration and the postage. I'd much rather the money spent on that be spent on research. H

To:
Sent: Sunday, 4 December 2016, 19:37
Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Re: Really?

It seems the mere mention of the name "Hicks" sets of a violent reaction....I can't think why>But seriously its a great shame because the Bulletin is a wonderful publication. In December's one alone articles on RofYs influence on his son by Matthew Lewis, the marriage of Anne and Richard, by Marie and Annette, the debate on the translation of Mancini continued, a digital reconstruction of Middleham Castle, a response by Marylynn Salmon to the Laynesmith review of her rather strange book and so much more. Its fabulous. Eileen

2016-12-05 11:09:07
mariewalsh2003

Johanne wrote:

"Hi, Doug!

I think Tamara's and your suggestions are worth considering. As a somewhat tongue in cheek suggestion, I might suggest putting the publishers description, in the case of egregious overstatement like the one for Hicks's book, in quotation marks, and then putting "sic" in parentheses or brackets at the end. That would get the idea across! This technique could be reserved for extreme examples. :-)"

Marie:

Actually I noticed later that the blurb to Hicks' book is in quotation marks as well. So quotation marks plus "[publisher's description.]" I really don't think that we had all seen the item last week rather than having to rely on Paul's description of it, that anyone would have been offended.

2016-12-05 11:19:28
mariewalsh2003
Hilary wrote:I do though think the Society could save a fortune by 'publishing' the Bulletin digitally only. In one of my other lives I'm a photographer and nobody under 50 buys hardcopy these days - printing is just too expensive, let alone the administration and the postage. I'd much rather the money spent on that be spent on research. H
Marie:I know that is the way the Ricardian Register has gone, and over here we have an optional newsletter, the Ricardian Recorder, that comes by email, but bear in mind that there are a large number of elderly and *extremely* long-standing members of the Society in the UK, and quite a number of them do not have computers. In fact, at least two of the contributors to the current edition do not have computer access.Anyway, I think it's also nice to have a physical magazine - I spend enough time staring at a screen.

2016-12-05 17:26:59
justcarol67

Marie wrote:

"Paul, This is merely the publisher's blurb - you can find it on Amazon and everywhere else the book is sold. It may be unfortunate but there you are."

Carol adds:

Paul, you might want to go on Amazon and post something like what you wrote here, indicating that Hicks, far from stripping away the anti-Richard propaganda, is adding to it. You might mention specifics that are purely his invention. As for the Society, I suppose it's trying to be objective in offering this book for sale to counter its unfortunate (and inaccurate) reputation as a fan club.

Carol

2016-12-09 18:59:28
Johanne Tournier

Hello, Marie, Paul & Everyone 

I'd just like to offer an apology of sorts to Marie, now at last having seen the issue of the Bulletin in question. You know the old saying, A picture is worth 1000 words. Well, even tho I read Marie's description, I did not really absorb what that meant until I saw the actual thing. I don't want to belabor the subject any more than I already have  let me just say that what I see there is very much like what I was suggesting should be done, to give an indication of some scepticism, or at least not accepting wholesale, the accuracy of that publisher's description.

Lesson learned  I should not have commented until I actually saw the thing.

Sorry, Marie, my apologies for any angst the whole thing might have caused you.

Johanne

Johanne L. Tournier

Email  jltournier60@...

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: December 5, 2016 7:09 AM
To:
Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Re: Really?

Johanne wrote:

"Hi, Doug!

I think Tamara's and your suggestions are worth considering. As a somewhat tongue in cheek suggestion, I might suggest putting the publishers description, in the case of egregious overstatement like the one for Hicks's book, in quotation marks, and then putting "sic" in parentheses or brackets at the end. That would get the idea across! This technique could be reserved for extreme examples. :-)"

Marie:

Actually I noticed later that the blurb to Hicks' book is in quotation marks as well. So quotation marks plus "[publisher's description.]" I really don't think that we had all seen the item last week rather than having to rely on Paul's description of it, that anyone would have been offended.

2016-12-10 11:26:09
mariewalsh2003

Hi Johanne,

Very sweet of you - no offence taken.

2016-12-10 17:37:32
llionnesss
Replying from Canada about the question of a print Ricardian. We too have quite a few members who absolutely need a print copy. Our own newsletter is digital and we print copies for those who need them but we know others print out what they receive digitally.
I like the heft and feel of the Ricardian, espcially in the "new" format with full colour pictures and all.
Sheilah
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.