Would Richard have acted any differently?

Would Richard have acted any differently?

2016-11-26 08:42:47
davetheslave44
While I appreciate this is largely suppositional, I still think it's worth deving into to some extent. If EIV had left the power to the Woodvilles and not the protectorate to Richard, do you think he would have respected his brother's wishes and not interfered or intervened? Edward, of course, had complete faith in his brother as someone dutiful and loyal. It is impossible to know what would have went on in Richard's mind but the conflict with the Woodvilles would still be there.

Re: Would Richard have acted any differently?

2016-11-26 18:16:39
justcarol67

davetheslave44@...> wrote:

"While I appreciate this is largely suppositional, I still think it's worth deving into to some extent. If EIV had left the power to the Woodvilles and not the protectorate to Richard, do you think he would have respected his brother's wishes and not interfered or intervened? Edward, of course, had complete faith in his brother as someone dutiful and loyal. It is impossible to know what would have went on in Richard's mind but the conflict with the Woodvilles would still be there."

Carol responds:

Not sure whose post you're replying to. However, I can't imagine Richard leaving power to the Woodvilles as many people regarded them as upstarts and they had no royal blood (or governing experience). Richard was the logical--in fact, the only--choice for Protector. But had Edward not added that codicil, he certainly would have been head of the governing council based on rank alone, and he still would have held high offices, Lord High Constable and Lord Admiral of England. I can't see Richard staying home and letting a Woodville-controlled king ruin the country.

Carol

2016-11-26 21:36:09
ricard1an
I agree Carol. Maybe if the Woodvilles had not been so rapacious then Richard may have got on with them and they could have been involved during Edward's minority with Richard being Protector. Who knows Stillington, or whoever brought up the pre-contract, may not have brought it up at all because the country would have been safe. However, that did not happen because from day one the Woodvilles were plotting to take over the country.
Mary

2016-11-27 02:18:40
davetheslave44
So, as Richard was primarily concerned with good government, given his record in the north of the country, he wouldn't have sat back and let the Woodville's just take over. And based on rank, Richard was part of the inner circle, vis-a-vis, the nobility. So, it was the Woodvilles who were the problem.

2016-11-27 02:40:33
davetheslave44
I think you make a valid point, that Stillington or whoever, may or may not have disclosed the pre-contract, because the country may or may not have been under threat, but that it was, was why he disclosed it.
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.