A future Ricardia?

A future Ricardia?

2016-10-04 16:54:00

This has probably been discussed at some time before on these boards.

Has anyone any views on how Richard III would have altered England and perhaps British history had he been victorious at Bosworth? What visions would he have had?

Alan.

Re: A future Ricardia?

2016-10-05 22:18:02
justcarol67
Alan wrote:

"Has anyone any views on how Richard III would have altered England and perhaps British history had he been victorious at Bosworth? What visions would he have had?"

Carol responds:

I don't think we've discussed this topic much though I'll bet we've all thought about it! For one thing, there wouldn't have been any Tudor kings or queens, and people wouldn't think that English history began with Henry VIII (Henry VII is mostly forgotten) or credit Elizabeth I with the English Renaissance!

Seriously, I think there would have been an English Reformation (the English temperament strikes me, an American, as more inclined toward Protestantism than, say, Spain or Portugal, which remained Catholic), but it would have been more gradual, without all the bloodshed that switching from Catholicism to Anglicanism and back again entailed. I also like to think that Richard would have been interested in exploring the New World, as possibly his alliance with Portugal would have enabled him to do that. I think he would have given John Cabot considerably more than ten pounds (Henry VII's reward) for discovering Newfoundland.

And, of course, there would have been no Simnel Rebellion and John, Earl of Lincoln would have remained alive to serve his uncle, as would all the Plantagenet heirs destroyed by the Tudors, so even if Richard and Joanna of Portugal had no children of their own, the Yorkist monarchy (perhaps as the House of Suffolk?) would have continued, and *Richard,* not Henry Tudor, would be credited with ending the Wars of the Roses. His victory (rather than Henry's) would have been viewed as God's will--and the triumph of the rightful king against a foreign invasion by a claimless would-be usurper.

He would have married immediately and attempted to father a child as soon as possible, and he certainly would not have made Edward IV's mistake of sending his heir to Ludlow to be raised by relatives hostile to the House of York. (I think he left little Edward at Middleham because he didn't want to uproot him and also possibly because his health was frail. That, also, may have been a mistake.)

He would almost certainly have maintained his truce with Scotland, he would have been on good terms with Burgundy, and Spain, and he would have found a way to deal with France and Brittany, both of which would be leery of making trouble for him after his victory, not to mention that there would have been no Tudor to use against him.

As for Parliaments, I think Richard, always concerned for the welfare of the people, would have continued his enlightened legislation. Who knows what good laws he might have enacted?

I also like to think that he would have put the printing press to better use than Tudor did. Certainly, it would not have been used for spreading anti-Yorkist propaganda. Imagine the humanist "historians" flocking to Richard's court and producing his version of history rather than Tudor's. Whatever doubts people had about the Protectorship and Richard's so-called "usurpation" could be put to rest with a widespread circulation of the facts.

And we would know what became of the "Princes."

He would learn from his own experience and Edward's to avoid making the same mistakes, and he would take advantage of the boost to his reputation resulting from his victory and the new alliance with Portugal to again show himself to the people, who would view him as a hero. And then he would prove himself their benefactor through enlightened legislation.

That's my vision of Richard as victor, anyway. Others undoubtedly have their own imagined happy ending.

Carol

2016-10-05 22:44:36
alan thomas
Many thanks for your very interesting views Carol. I particularly like the idea of no Elizabeth and no Henry VIII. There wouldn't be all those movies and TV series about both of them that seem to appear every six months or so. Then we wouldn't have had the Stuarts or the Puritans, and oh dear...no Pilgrim Fathers! Even the USA wouldn't be as we know it. Neither would the UK. However I think perhaps the best of all outcomes would be that we wouldn't have a Dr. Starkey!

But it's only a "What if?" :-)

Thanks again Carol,

Alan

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 10:18 PM, justcarol67@... [] <> wrote:

Alan wrote:

"Has anyone any views on how Richard III would have altered England and perhaps British history had he been victorious at Bosworth? What visions would he have had?"

Carol responds:

I don't think we've discussed this topic much though I'll bet we've all thought about it! For one thing, there wouldn't have been any Tudor kings or queens, and people wouldn't think that English history began with Henry VIII (Henry VII is mostly forgotten) or credit Elizabeth I with the English Renaissance!

Seriously, I think there would have been an English Reformation (the English temperament strikes me, an American, as more inclined toward Protestantism than, say, Spain or Portugal, which remained Catholic), but it would have been more gradual, without all the bloodshed that switching from Catholicism to Anglicanism and back again entailed. I also like to think that Richard would have been interested in exploring the New World, as possibly his alliance with Portugal would have enabled him to do that. I think he would have given John Cabot considerably more than ten pounds (Henry VII's reward) for discovering Newfoundland.

And, of course, there would have been no Simnel Rebellion and John, Earl of Lincoln would have remained alive to serve his uncle, as would all the Plantagenet heirs destroyed by the Tudors, so even if Richard and Joanna of Portugal had no children of their own, the Yorkist monarchy (perhaps as the House of Suffolk?) would have continued, and *Richard,* not Henry Tudor, would be credited with ending the Wars of the Roses. His victory (rather than Henry's) would have been viewed as God's will--and the triumph of the rightful king against a foreign invasion by a claimless would-be usurper.

He would have married immediately and attempted to father a child as soon as possible, and he certainly would not have made Edward IV's mistake of sending his heir to Ludlow to be raised by relatives hostile to the House of York. (I think he left little Edward at Middleham because he didn't want to uproot him and also possibly because his health was frail. That, also, may have been a mistake.)

He would almost certainly have maintained his truce with Scotland, he would have been on good terms with Burgundy, and Spain, and he would have found a way to deal with France and Brittany, both of which would be  leery of making trouble for him after his victory, not to mention that there would have been no Tudor to use against him.

As for Parliaments, I think Richard, always concerned for the welfare of the people, would have continued his enlightened legislation. Who knows what good laws he might have enacted?

I also like to think that he would have put the printing press to better use than Tudor did. Certainly, it would not have been used for spreading anti-Yorkist propaganda. Imagine the humanist "historians" flocking to Richard's court and producing his version of history rather than Tudor's. Whatever doubts people had about the Protectorship and Richard's so-called "usurpation" could be put to rest with a widespread circulation of the facts.

He would learn from his own experience and Edward's to avoid making the same mistakes, and he would take advantage of the boost to his reputation resulting from his victory and the new alliance with Portugal to again show himself to the people, who would view him as a hero. And then he would prove himself their benefactor through enlightened legislation.

That's my vision of Richard as victor, anyway. Others undoubtedly have their own imagined happy ending.

Carol

2016-10-05 23:05:48
Pamela Bain
Love it! And this spirals on, what about Australia, India, and Rule Britannia in general? And could England manage all the debtors, the restive people in Wales, Scotland and Ireland, and would that have sealed the end of war with France, with so many potential young men to fight so few Frenchmen? Better minds than mine could certainly come up with potential scenarios.
On Oct 5, 2016, at 4:44 PM, alan thomas alanth2521@... [] <> wrote:

Many thanks for your very interesting views Carol. I particularly like the idea of no Elizabeth and no Henry VIII. There wouldn't be all those movies and TV series about both of them that seem to appear every six months or so. Then we wouldn't have had the Stuarts or the Puritans, and oh dear...no Pilgrim Fathers! Even the USA wouldn't be as we know it. Neither would the UK. However I think perhaps the best of all outcomes would be that we wouldn't have a Dr. Starkey!

Thanks again Carol,

Alan

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 10:18 PM, justcarol67@... [] <> wrote:

Alan wrote:

Carol responds:

He would almost certainly have maintained his truce with Scotland, he would have been on good terms with Burgundy, and Spain, and he would have found a way to deal with France and Brittany, both of which would be leery of making trouble for him after his victory, not to mention that there would have been no Tudor to use against him.

Carol

2016-10-05 23:22:56
alan thomas
Pamela wrote: "...and Rule Britannia in general?"

What? No Last Night of the Proms? That IS sad! :-)

Al.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:04 PM, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] <> wrote:

Love it! And this spirals on, what about Australia, India, and Rule Britannia in general? And could England manage all the debtors, the restive people in Wales, Scotland and Ireland, and would that have sealed the end of war with France, with so many potential young men to fight so few Frenchmen? Better minds than mine could certainly come up with potential scenarios. 
On Oct 5, 2016, at 4:44 PM, alan thomas alanth2521@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Thanks again Carol,

Alan

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 10:18 PM, justcarol67@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Alan wrote:

Carol responds:

He would almost certainly have maintained his truce with Scotland, he would have been on good terms with Burgundy, and Spain, and he would have found a way to deal with France and Brittany, both of which would be  leery of making trouble for him after his victory, not to mention that there would have been no Tudor to use against him.

Carol

2016-10-05 23:39:32
Pamela Bain
We live in Texas, but love watching the "Last Night of the Proms"! We would love to see it in person.
On Oct 5, 2016, at 5:23 PM, alan thomas alanth2521@... [] <> wrote:

Pamela wrote: "...and Rule Britannia in general?"

What? No Last Night of the Proms? That IS sad! :-)

Al.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:04 PM, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] <> wrote:

On Oct 5, 2016, at 4:44 PM, alan thomas alanth2521@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Thanks again Carol,

Alan

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 10:18 PM, justcarol67@... [] <@ yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Alan wrote:

Carol responds:

Carol

2016-10-06 09:33:02
Hilary Jones
I would add to that impressive list that the softer side of the Renaissance, which Carol has already touched on, would have come much earlier. We would not have lost our marvellous church and secular music which was the envy of the world and which was destroyed during the Reformation. The printing press would have encouraged literature, we know Richard enjoyed that, and as Carol says we would still have attracted the humanists and probably used them better. They bored HT to tears! As for exploration - almost certainly, particularly if Richard had married into the Portuguese royal family. H

To:
Sent: Wednesday, 5 October 2016, 22:18
Subject: Re: A future Ricardia?

Alan wrote:

Carol responds:

Carol

Re: {Disarmed} Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: A future Ricardia

2016-10-06 16:47:58
Doug Stamate
Al wrote: What? No Last Night of the Proms? That IS sad! :-) Doug here: I rather like that part! One can certainly see WHY that piece of music, as music, has been so popular for so long  for one thing, it's singable. Doug (Might want to rewrite a few of the stanzas, though...)
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

2016-10-18 20:32:43
poohlandeva
Wow that was well thought out. I would like to think that Richard iii married again and had several children, but there were other heirs he could nominate. I believe that he could reform the Church from within, with a gradual process. I would love to hope that he would have still favoured early discovery, been open to the Renaissance, continued to make good and fair laws and been remembered as a great King. It is very hard to really judge a reign based on two years, especially if the King is defeated and King and his replacement maligns his name but there are glimpses of a fair and just one. As you say, he cared about the welfare of ordinary people, he improved trade and the criminal justice system. It is fascinating to wonder what he could have achieved had he lived even another ten years. England may have began a naval tradition, our alliance with Spain or Portugal would improve our international status.
I am thinking what he would have done with Margaret Beaufort and Elizabeth Woodville. Both ladies probably may have been widows, if for example Stanley was killed at Bosworth. If Henry Tudor was dead or escaped then possibly Margaret may be persuaded to take holy orders. EW was probably content to accept retirement. She has her daughters to think about and Richard promised to find them good marriages, so he would have kept this promise. Legitimacy may be a question, but a Kings daughter with good looks and a generous dowry could be persuasive. The idea of the House of Suffolk having a part in the succession is an interesting one as different House of Suffolk did cause some trouble with this in Tudor times, but in fact, some historians believe that Richard meant to name or did make John de la Pole his heir.
There are so many things that could be changed, but then we would lose things as well. Just what his successors would be like I believe is impossible to say. There could still be a Henry Viii or female succession, but they would be different people, who may still have their qualities as they would still inherit Plantagenet and possibly Spanish or French madness. Richard and his family, however, could certainly go down in history as successful. Who knows, Richard lll may even go down in history as one of our greatest King's.
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.