"Complex and confusing period" in 1469

"Complex and confusing period" in 1469

2016-08-13 14:39:06
drajhtoo
Working my way again through Sutton's recent article on Richard's finances 1460-1470. She describes the 16 months beginning in early June 1469 as "complex and confusing" & recommends both Cora Scofield's account & PMK's "careful analysis," as well as more recent discussions. Unhappily, she does not say what recent discussions.

Does anyone here what she is referring to?

A J

Re: "Complex and confusing period" in 1469

2016-08-13 16:41:32
mariewalsh2003

A. J. wrote:

Working my way again through Sutton's recent article on Richard's finances 1460-1470. She describes the 16 months beginning in early June 1469 as "complex and confusing" & recommends both Cora Scofield's account & PMK's "careful analysis," as well as more recent discussions. Unhappily, she does not say what recent discussions.
Does anyone here what she is referring to?

Marie:

Well, I can't pretend to know everything Anne Sutton had in mind, but I think one of the things would definitely be Livia Visser-Fuchs' article in an old Ricardian, 'Richard Was Late' (Vol 11, No 147, Dec 1999), giving the evidence for his not being with Edward when the royal party set sail from King's Lynn. David Horspool also discusses the evidence in his book - he went to all the trouble of looking at the entry in the King's Lynn council minutes, which names the lords who turned up with King Edward, and yet for some reason he still wasn't convinced.

By the by, something I recently found in the TNA catalogue may add a little bit to Anne's findings. During Edward's stay in York prior to his flight, not only did he appoint Richard as Warden of the West Marches as she notes, but he also indented with Richard directly for him to serve for 3 years as Captain of Carlisle - the indenture is dated 17 August and the document ref is TNA E 101/71/5/950. I ordered a copy so I have looked at the thing itself. When you add to that the fact that the constable and garrison of Carlisle had rebelled two or three weeks before this (part of what is sometimes referred to as Lord Fitzhugh's Rebellion) it suggests to me that Richard was being sent up to Carlisle to take control for Edward. This could of course explain why he wasn't with him at Lynn.

Even aside from the indenture, I'm certain Richard was with Edward in York in August 1470 because the city Chamberlains' accounts for that year record gifts to him as well as King Edward and other lords, and we know he was in Lancashire during Edward's other 1470 visit to York (in March).

2016-08-13 20:20:17
maroonnavywhite
That is a good question!
Tamara

2016-08-13 20:22:39
maroonnavywhite
Thanks, Marie! For some reason your message didnt appear until after I'd sent me.
Tamara

2016-08-13 21:38:17
drajhtoo
Thanks very much Marie. I don't suppose you have a transcription of the indenture you'd be willing to share?

What I'm beginning to appreciate from what I've been reading lately, besides Anne's article, is that it looks very much as if, from the very beginning of Richard's adult life (which I take to be 16) Edward had a habit of dropping him into troubled spots - whether deliberately or simply because they were available because troubled, I don't pretend to know.

A J

2016-08-14 12:19:48
mariewalsh2003

A. J. wrote:

Thanks very much Marie. I don't suppose you have a transcription of the indenture you'd be willing to share?

Marie replies:

Have knocked my transcription into a slightly more readable form and uploaded to the File section.

2016-08-14 14:33:47
drajhtoo
Thank you so much, Marie.

You may or may not know I am building a spreadsheet with transcriptions of primary sources; I've been at it for 3 years now & have over 4000 lines - I've been putting lines in-between dates, so I'm not really sure how many actual entries it is. Some are, at this point, only references to primary documents that I haven't yet copied. Not particularly user-friendly in this format, but it is searchable, & is starting to pay off in being able to reply to questions.

A J

2016-08-14 16:05:04
mariewalsh2003
The Twynyhos are indeed complicated! I see I've been referring to Ankarette's son William as Dorothy's uncle - of course he was her first cousin (albeit a lot older).
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.