William Overey - 1483 rebel

William Overey - 1483 rebel

2016-07-23 08:51:50
hjnatdat

Sir William Overey was one of four rebels from Southampton whose career is outlined by Kenneth Hillier in one of the Society's articles some years' ago. Like his father he'd been mayor of Southampton and was in the cloth trade. You can find the article here:

http://www.richardiii.net/downloads/Ricardian/essay_hillier_southampton.pdf

I've been doing a bit more digging around and I would suggest that some of the evidence backs up the suggestion of a smear campaign against Richard within the City i.e. that people with a grudge were targeted and urged to rebel. There's a history between Richard and Southampton - he had to hunt out the Bastard of Fauconberg there after Tewkesbury. Rivers was ordered by Edward to do this but decided to go on a pilgrimage abroad. He never went - even Ross records this wryly. So poor old Richard got the job. The other three rebels all had connections with the City council as you can see.

Hillier mentions that Overey did a mysterious bunk to sanctuary in late September 1483 and it would seem that about three days' before he was sent a directive by Richard himself concerning shipping. It's in the NA. So were some of the rebels forewarned that Richard knew about the rebellions and was about to deal with them?

Then there is another thing. Overey is an unusual name. Apart from another William Overey who was a stockfishmonger in London and could have been the same man because he owned a ship (he lodged a court case against Richard as Admiral in 1472) the only other Overey who appears is Master Thomas Overey.

He's interesting because he's precentor of Wells. Not only that, but we know he knew Stillington because his name appears on the deed granting Stillington the Yorkshire manor of Great Edstone - so nothing to do with Wells cathedral. His name also appears in association with Richard Nykke, Stillington's nephew. He left a will when he died in the early 1490s but mentions only a brother Robert Overey. Hillier says that William Overey died after 1490, but he made his will in October 1485, which suggests service at Bosworth?

So could Master Thomas have warned William Overey in September 1483? Presumably at this point Stillington was still close to Richard? Anyone know anything more about this? H

Re: William Overey - 1483 rebel

2016-07-24 22:25:25
mariewalsh2003
Interesting. In 1460 the Earl of Wiltshire (the Lancastrian government's Lieutenant of Ireland) sent a William Overey to Ireland with warrants for York's arrest, but Overey was instead arrested himself, attainted by the Irish parliament and executed. So if the 1483 rebel was of the same family there would have been an old and deep grudge against the Yorkists.

2016-07-25 09:02:29
Hilary Jones
That is indeed interesting - thanks Marie! More digging.
I'm about to do an Alison Weir so forgive me. Hillier tells us that rebel William Overey had a sister Julian. Stillington's daughter was named Juliana and illegitimate children were sometimes named after their mother. Could Julian Overey have been 'Mrs Stillington'. It would explain the presence of Thomas Overey's signature on Stillington family deeds - i.e. those not connected to the diocese of Bath and Wells? Sorry, couldn't resist it! H
To:
Sent: Sunday, 24 July 2016, 22:25
Subject: Re: William Overey - 1483 rebel

Interesting. In 1460 the Earl of Wiltshire (the Lancastrian government's Lieutenant of Ireland) sent a William Overey to Ireland with warrants for York's arrest, but Overey was instead arrested himself, attainted by the Irish parliament and executed. So if the 1483 rebel was of the same family there would have been an old and deep grudge against the Yorkists.

2016-07-26 09:22:10
Hilary Jones
I've now looked this up. As you probably know, the Earl of Wiltshire at the time was James Boteler 5 Earl of Ormonde who was executed by Edward after Mortimers Cross in 1461. His second wife was Eleanor Beaufort, sister of Somerset and John Beaufort who died at Tewkesbury. She was also aunt to Buckingham and to Anthony Woodville (via Mary Fitzlewis). Neat isn't it? She went on to marry Sir Robert Spencer of Devon and was mother-in-law of Percy's heir. Virtually all my rebels have this sort of connection, in fact it's rare indeed to find one who doesn't. The odd necromancer but no child-loving idealists!
Sir William Overey's father was also Mayor as you can see from the Hillier and also called William. I can't find when he died so he could be the 1460 man? Also Thomas is a name in that family. Sir William's nephew Thomas was mayor in 1489. H

To:

2016-07-30 12:52:06
Hilary Jones
I've done a fair bit more work on this now having reading the wills of Master Thomas Overey and of William Overey stockfishmonger of London.
1. We can discount the latter as being either of our William Overeys, he died in 1478 and all his property was in London. He left a wife and a daughter, Margaret Wood
2. Thomas Overey came from Treborough in West Dorset (so he could be brother to William Overey, father of the attainted WO and possible servant of James Boteler). He had two brothers named Robert and Peter and a sister Eleanor married to John Sydenham the younger whom I've been able to trace. His first clerical office seems to have been in 1458, so this makes him born sometime in the 1430s, which ties in with sister Eleanor.
3. He refers to Robert Stillington in his will and the executors are his brother Robert and Richard Nykke, Stillington's nephew.
4. Unfortunately, the Sydenham connection also links him to William Bolter of Bolterscombe and possible John Higgon (Hugyn) too, whose name appears on a deed with the Bolters. Higgon seems to have become mayor of Carmarthen under HT and Thomas Overey, WO's nephew, Mayor of Southampton and possibly the TO who was Governor of one of the channel islands under HT (now there's a good hiding place :)) .
5. All this links Stillington more and more with the 'other side'. Perhaps he just swanned around and didn't notice but it gets more and more uncomfortable for him as far as I'm concerned. And how many other high ranking clergymen were actually sent to the Tower for a spell? H

To:

Re: {Disarmed} Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: William Overey -

2016-07-30 16:31:42
Doug Stamate
Hilary wrote: I've done a fair bit more work on this now having reading the wills of Master Thomas Overey and of William Overey stockfishmonger of London. 1. We can discount the latter as being either of our William Overeys, he died in 1478 and all his property was in London. He left a wife and a daughter, Margaret Wood 2. Thomas Overey came from Treborough in West Dorset (so he could be brother to William Overey, father of the attainted WO and possible servant of James Boteler). He had two brothers named Robert and Peter and a sister Eleanor married to John Sydenham the younger whom I've been able to trace. His first clerical office seems to have been in 1458, so this makes him born sometime in the 1430s, which ties in with sister Eleanor. 3. He refers to Robert Stillington in his will and the executors are his brother Robert and Richard Nykke, Stillington's nephew. 4. Unfortunately, the Sydenham connection also links him to William Bolter of Bolterscombe and possible John Higgon (Hugyn) too, whose name appears on a deed with the Bol ters. Higgon seems to have become mayor of Carmarthen under HT and Thomas Overey, WO's nephew, Mayor of Southampton and possibly the TO who was Governor of one of the channel islands under HT (now there's a good hiding place :)) . 5. All this links Stillington more and more with the 'other side'. Perhaps he just swanned around and didn't notice but it gets more and more uncomfortable for him as far as I'm concerned. And how many other high ranking clergymen were actually sent to the Tower for a spell? H Doug here: A couple of thoughts about that last point. First off, what are your views about Stillington not noticing or, better yet, not particularly caring, the political partisanship of some of these people if they were residents of his diocese? Wouldn't Stillington's position be not unlike a modern-day politician who concerns himself with all of his/her constitutents, regardless of their politics? There's also the possibility that the Bishop simply enjoyed their company and didn't concern himself with <b>their</b> politics, so to speak. Lastly, what do you think of the idea that Stillington was being employed to keep an eye on some of the more tepid Lancastrians? There'd be no question about what dyed-in-the-wool Lancastrians felt, but how about those less, um, devoted Lancastrians? The ones who'd be absolutely necessary for any serious armed opposition to Richard to form? Doug Who still marvels at your digging! From: mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]>
To:
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: William Overey - 1483 rebel

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.
--
believed to be clean.

Re: {Disarmed} Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: William Overey -

2016-07-30 16:36:59
Hilary Jones
You mean a double agent Doug?!
I truly don't know, I honestly don't know. And then there is the Clarence/Twynyho link. It would make a good Le Carre thriller.
Somehow I think it all leads back to Yorkshire which was very complicated as I said to AJ.
Just have to keep digging. H :)
To:
Sent: Saturday, 30 July 2016, 16:28
Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Re: Re: William Overey - 1483 rebel

Hilary wrote: I've done a fair bit more work on this now having reading the wills of Master Thomas Overey and of William Overey stockfishmonger of London. 1. We can discount the latter as being either of our William Overeys, he died in 1478 and all his property was in London. He left a wife and a daughter, Margaret Wood 2. Thomas Overey came from Treborough in West Dorset (so he could be brother to William Overey, father of the attainted WO and possible servant of James Boteler). He had two brothers named Robert and Peter and a sister Eleanor married to John Sydenham the younger whom I've been able to trace. His first clerical office seems to have been in 1458, so this makes him born sometime in the 1430s, which ties in with sister Eleanor. 3. He refers to Robert Stillington in his will and the executors are his brother Robert and Richard Nykke, Stillington's nephew. 4. Unfortunately, the Sydenham connection also links him to William Bolter of Bolterscombe and possible John Higgon (Hugyn) too, whose name appears on a deed with the Bol ters. Higgon seems to have become mayor of Carmarthen under HT and Thomas Overey, WO's nephew, Mayor of Southampton and possibly the TO who was Governor of one of the channel islands under HT (now there's a good hiding place :)) . 5. All this links Stillington more and more with the 'other side'. Perhaps he just swanned around and didn't notice but it gets more and more uncomfortable for him as far as I'm concerned. And how many other high ranking clergymen were actually sent to the Tower for a spell? H Doug here: A couple of thoughts about that last point. First off, what are your views about Stillington not noticing or, better yet, not particularly caring, the political partisanship of some of these people if they were residents of his diocese? Wouldn't Stillington's position be not unlike a modern-day politician who concerns himself with all of his/her constitutents, regardless of their politics? There's also the possibility that the Bishop simply enjoyed their company and didn't concern himself with <b>their</b> politics, so to speak. Lastly, what do you think of the idea that Stillington was being employed to keep an eye on some of the more tepid Lancastrians? There'd be no question about what dyed-in-the-wool Lancastrians felt, but how about those less, um, devoted Lancastrians? The ones who'd be absolutely necessary for any serious armed opposition to Richard to form? Doug Who still marvels at your digging! From: mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]>
To:
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: William Overey - 1483 rebel

--
believed to be clean.
--
believed to be clean.

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.