to read

to read

2016-07-20 18:50:26
frederika.r

as a relatively new person to Richard III who is looking towards purchasing books about him, are there any that you would advise me to get and stay away from? thank you

Re: to read

2016-07-20 19:35:02
Paul Trevor Bale
Get Annette Carson and Paul Murray Kendall. Avoid Michael Hicks, Douglas Seward and Alison Weir. And everything Phillippa Gregory has had her hands on!Paul
Richard Liveth Yet

On 20 Jul 2016, at 12:39, rachette@... [] <> wrote:

as a relatively new person to Richard III who is looking towards purchasing books about him, are there any that you would advise me to get and stay away from? thank you

2016-07-21 00:56:36
justcarol67

Paul wrote :

"Get Annette Carson and Paul Murray Kendall. Avoid Michael Hicks, Douglas Seward and Alison Weir. And [avoid] everything Phillippa Gregory has had her hands on!"
Carol adds:

I agree with Paul's choices (and his list of authors to avoid). The Kendall book is somewhat dated, but it's still the best favorable biography we have, and Annette Carson is by far the best and most readable recent author. I would start with her new book, "Richard III: A Small Guide to the Great Debate."

Carol

2016-07-21 09:07:28
Hilary Jones
Agree about ones to avoid! If you want to go 'heavier' then Charles Ross is by far the most detailed biography of Richard and of Edward IV, though he is anti.
I would also avoid some of the more recent books which have appeared since Richard became a cash cow. They tend to be summaries of other peoples' work with some new 'revelation' that solves everything that everyone else has missed. I was reading one last week which as well as containing a number of factual howlers claimed that ruthless Richard committed treason against the Woodvilles (yes!) and could have solved it all by getting Parliament to legitimise the Woodville marriage. Good luck with your reading. H From: "justcarol67@... []" <>
To:
Sent: Thursday, 21 July 2016, 0:56
Subject: Re: to read

Paul wrote :

"Get Annette Carson and Paul Murray Kendall. Avoid Michael Hicks, Douglas Seward and Alison Weir. And [avoid] everything Phillippa Gregory has had her hands on!"
Carol adds:

I agree with Paul's choices (and his list of authors to avoid). The Kendall book is somewhat dated, but it's still the best favorable biography we have, and Annette Carson is by far the best and most readable recent author. I would start with her new book, "Richard III: A Small Guide to the Great Debate."

Carol

2016-07-21 12:03:05
ricard1an
Who on earth wrote that rubbish about the Woodvilles Hilary?

2016-07-21 13:21:45
Nicholas Brown
I would also go along with these suggestions. I would also recommend:
- David Baldwin, 'Richard III': A recent biography (2012), it is a fairly easy read and a good introduction, which presents a balanced and mostly positive view of Richard.
- Sharon K Penman: 'The Sunne in Splendour': fiction, but well researched.
- Bertram Fields: 'Royal Blood: 'Richard III and the Mystery of the Prices.' An excellent analysis about the Princes in the Tower.- John Ashdown-Hill: 'The Mythology of Richard III.' JA-H explores the myths that have grown up around Richard III, and sets the record straight. To be fair, I am half only half way through this one, but so far I find it as readable and interesting as his other books.

Nico

On Thursday, 21 July 2016, 12:03, "maryfriend@... []" <> wrote:

2016-07-22 08:24:23
Hilary Jones
Mary - David Horspool Richard III A Ruler and His Reputation Came out in October
Trouble is people believe this; see the amazon reviews! Marie would be horrified at his poor knowledge of canon law. I reckon a lot has been picked from other books and he hasn't actually read the original sources. For example, he says that Stillington conducted the marriage ceremony for E and E Butler. Oh, and Buckingham was just horrified when he discovered Richard had killed the princes 'Shock, Horror' (sorry Doug!) H

To:
Sent: Thursday, 21 July 2016, 12:03

2016-07-22 11:59:11
Durose David
Hilary,I have a couple of points that I have been meaning to make - for example an answer to Doug's question.
But first just a quick question - I thought the only contemporary evidence we have linking Stillington to the alleged earlier marriage of Edward IV, was Commynes, who does say that Stillington said that he did conduct a marriage, in secret when only the three persons were present. This does not prove anything about the truth of the marriage, but it is our closest account.
Now, I thought that - accepting for a moment that Commynes and Stillington are both accurate - such a wedding was outlawed by the 4th Lateran. Perhaps Marie could clarify that question.
Kind regardsDavid

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, July 22, 2016, 08:24, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

Mary - David Horspool Richard III A Ruler and His Reputation Came out in October
Trouble is people believe this; see the amazon reviews! Marie would be horrified at his poor knowledge of canon law. I reckon a lot has been picked from other books and he hasn't actually read the original sources. For example, he says that Stillington conducted the marriage ceremony for E and E Butler. Oh, and Buckingham was just horrified when he discovered Richard had killed the princes 'Shock, Horror' (sorry Doug!) H

To:

2016-07-22 12:19:23
Hilary Jones
Hi David, it is indeed from Commynes and repeated later in correspondence by Chapuys (who just refers to him as the Bishop of Bath). My recollection is that Commynes says he was present at a clandestine marriage, not that he conducted it. I seem to recall we had the discussion regarding its accuracy and interpretation and one conclusion was that Stillington was certainly associated with TR, but that could well be that he helped draw it up as he was an eminent lawyer? Marie may have more to say on this. I'll try and go back to the Commynes source H

To:
Sent: Friday, 22 July 2016, 11:58

Hilary,I have a couple of points that I have been meaning to make - for example an answer to Doug's question.
But first just a quick question - I thought the only contemporary evidence we have linking Stillington to the alleged earlier marriage of Edward IV, was Commynes, who does say that Stillington said that he did conduct a marriage, in secret when only the three persons were present. This does not prove anything about the truth of the marriage, but it is our closest account.
Now, I thought that - accepting for a moment that Commynes and Stillington are both accurate - such a wedding was outlawed by the 4th Lateran. Perhaps Marie could clarify that question.
Kind regardsDavid

On Friday, July 22, 2016, 08:24, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote: Mary - David Horspool Richard III A Ruler and His Reputation Came out in October

To:

2016-07-22 12:42:56
Hilary Jones
Hi David, I've found the English translation which has Stillington saying that he married them. In the same passage he of course makes a number of accusations against Richard including the murder of the boys - which we know Henry clearly didn't believe. And he says Richard got Stillington out of prison to back him up. He was in prison in 1476 not 1483! So it's something I would never quote - let alone Edward choosing Stillington who had held the Privy Seal for Henry VI recently and who also had direct correspondence with the Pope. Commynes is writing for the French king and had no direct connection with anyone other than a young Henry in Brittany. So it's hearsay in the extreme
The footnote to the memoirs claiming that Stillington was a man of humble origins (he wasn't his father was an eminent York mercer) and was loyal only to York for years also stand further examination - given that he'd worked for Henry years and ended up in the Tower under Edward in 1476. His loyalties are complex. I haven't sorted them out yet H

To:
Sent: Friday, 22 July 2016, 11:58

Kind regardsDavid

On Friday, July 22, 2016, 08:24, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote: Mary - David Horspool Richard III A Ruler and His Reputation Came out in October

To:

2016-07-22 15:40:12
ricard1an
This is the problem. If they have not previously read any of the books based on evidence they are bound to think it is true. As for his take on Buckingham and the Princes maybe he " was there" like Amy Licence and the strawberries. Seriously though I think lots of people are jumping on the bandwagon and writing anything that they think will sell books. Thank goodness that revisonists tend to do lots of research before committing pen to paper. Ralph Fiennes has been appearing on television and on the internet promoting his version of that play and if I didn't know any better I would assume that it was the absolute truth. He looks very old and not a suitable person to portray Richard and neither does Vanessa Redgrave who plays Marguerite. You couldn't make it up- oh wait a minute Shakespeare did didn't he. Keep up the excellent work.
Mary

2016-07-22 15:49:10
Hilary Jones
Thanks Mary. There's a comment on the DVD of the Hollow Crown (and I rather liked Benedict Cumberbatch who was young and not unhandsome) which accuses us of 'psychobabble'. And that's presumably because of Phil Stone's comment? We do get a mention in the Horsepool book - he liked JAH's white suit. You have to be tough to be one of us :).
But can I endorse I do think Annette's little book is brilliant. H

To:
Sent: Friday, 22 July 2016, 15:40

This is the problem. If they have not previously read any of the books based on evidence they are bound to think it is true. As for his take on Buckingham and the Princes maybe he " was there" like Amy Licence and the strawberries. Seriously though I think lots of people are jumping on the bandwagon and writing anything that they think will sell books. Thank goodness that revisonists tend to do lots of research before committing pen to paper. Ralph Fiennes has been appearing on television and on the internet promoting his version of that play and if I didn't know any better I would assume that it was the absolute truth. He looks very old and not a suitable person to portray Richard and neither does Vanessa Redgrave who plays Marguerite. You couldn't make it up- oh wait a minute Shakespeare did didn't he. Keep up the excellent work.
Mary

2016-07-22 19:57:31
Nance Crawford
ÿ I joined the group because I wanted to increase my personal knowledge, which you all certainly have done for me. The request for a reading list prompted a personal response, so it wouldn't be annoying to anyone else - I never wanted anyone to think that the autosignature on my emails is anything more than informational. However, in thinking it over the last couple of days, I realized that you all may not be aware that KING'S GAMES The Commentaries contains both a narrative timeline, and Appendix B, a month-by-month timeline beginning in 1400 with Salisbury's birth. The book is actually the second section of the "Memoir" (play) book, presented primarily for actors or others who are not familiar with the history. The Commentaries are published separately for those who aren't interested in delving into the play, but are curious about Richard, Shakespeare, and other ancilliary matters. I've been assured it's a good introduction and overview for a new Richardian, supplying, as it does, a list of the people involved and their relationships. Murrey & Blue did publish a review, last year in December, which you might find of interest: http://bit.ly/1U2Ey5V. You won't see any reviews of my work on Amazon UK because (for whatever senseless reason) Amazon does not cross-publish reviews from its different domains and, so far, no one outside the U.S. has done so for either book. The only other comments available to the U.K. at the moment are from respected playwrights, on the back of both books. Just wanted you all to know. I love sitting in, here. www.NanceCrawford.com
Re: KING'S GAMES: A Memoir of Richard III http://bit.ly/1U2Ey5V
http://amzn.to/1VvKiHV ----- Original Message ----- From: Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] To: Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 7:49 AM Subject: Re: to read

Thanks Mary. There's a comment on the DVD of the Hollow Crown (and I rather liked Benedict Cumberbatch who was young and not unhandsome) which accuses us of 'psychobabble'. And that's presumably because of Phil Stone's comment? We do get a mention in the Horsepool book - he liked JAH's white suit. You have to be tough to be one of us :).

To:
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] to read

Mary

2016-07-22 20:46:20
Nance Crawford
ÿ Oh, my face red! I leapt before looked! (And I'm very grateful most of you are alseep, over there.) There is an Amazon review, published on August 4, last year. Apparently, Amazon no longer notifies authors or publishers when a new review appears. On top of which, they have cross-referenced the U.S. reviews. I knew they cross-referenced reviews with audio books, as that's what happened with DRAGON SOLSTICE, once it had been reviewed on Audible.com. Wow. Now I get to check the other English-speaking Amazon sites. Amazing. www.NanceCrawford.com
http://amzn.to/1VvKiHV ----- Original Message ----- From: 'Nance Crawford' Nance@... [] To: Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 11:57 AM Subject: Re: to read

ÿ I joined the group because I wanted to increase my personal knowledge, which you all certainly have done for me. The request for a reading list prompted a personal response, so it wouldn't be annoying to anyone else - I never wanted anyone to think that the autosignature on my emails is anything more than informational. However, in thinking it over the last couple of days, I realized that you all may not be aware that KING'S GAMES The Commentaries contains both a narrative timeline, and Appendix B, a month-by-month timeline beginning in 1400 with Salisbury's birth. The book is actually the second section of the "Memoir" (play) book, presented primarily for actors or others who are not familiar with the history. The Commentaries are published separately for those who aren't interested in delving into the play, but are curious about Richard, Shakespeare, and other ancilliary matters. I've been assured it's a good introduction and overview for a new Richardian, supplying, as it does, a list of the people involved and their relationships. Murrey & Blue did publish a review, last year in December, which you might find of interest: http://bit.ly/1U2Ey5V. You won't see any reviews of my work on Amazon UK because (for whatever senseless reason) Amazon does not cross-publish reviews from its different domains and, so far, no one outside the U.S. has done so for either book. The only other comments available to the U.K. at the moment are from respected playwrights, on the back of both books. Just wanted you all to know. I love sitting in, here. www.NanceCrawford.com
http://amzn.to/1VvKiHV ----- Original Message ----- From: Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] To: Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 7:49 AM Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] to read

To:

Mary

2016-07-22 21:06:58
Jessie Skinner
Sent: 20/07/2016 18:50
To:
Subject: to read

2016-07-22 21:10:26
Jessie Skinner
Apologies for not replying earlier, a book I like is Richard III by David Hipshon.
A good overview and not too biased one way or the other.

JessFrom: rachette@... []
Sent: 20/07/2016 18:50
To:
Subject: to read

2016-07-24 19:21:01
mariewalsh2003

David wrote:

"Now, I thought that - accepting for a moment that Commynes and Stillington are both accurate - such a wedding was outlawed by the 4th Lateran. Perhaps Marie could clarify that question."

Marie replies:

Sorry all, haven't been paying attention. Not exactly, is the answer to that. The Fourth Lateran Council did try to encourage people to get married in church after issue of banns in order to make sure that impediments were brought to light and to make bigamy less easy, but it did not go so far as to make clandestine marriages invalid. It did, however, expressly forbid priests to celebrate them, and the general run of clandestine marriages that came before Church courts in the 15th century had been made without any involvement of clergy; in fact I've never seen a case that involved a priest. On those grounds alone I'd take Commines' claim with a pinch of salt.

What the Church's dim view of clandestine marriages (probably also from Lateran 4 but I'd need to check) did mean is that Elizabeth Woodville's married status and the legitimacy of her children enjoyed no protection from the effects of her husband's undeclared bigamy. Had Edward and Elizabeth married publicly, such protection would have been afforded them and Edward V could not have been deposed.

On the subject of David Horspool, I actually felt he dealt well with the validity of Richard's marriage, much better obviously than Michael Hicks and considerably better than the late lamented David Baldwin, who couldn't quite bring himself to believe that Hicks could be so wrong. I have only read part of David H's book so far, and I found his treatment of the dispensation much more satisfactory than, say, his undecidedness regarding Richard's late crossing to the Low Countries in 1470. He'd looked at all the available evidence, and it all points in the same direction so I understand Anne Sutton's frustration with this, to which she alludes in her latest Ricardian article. I was getting rather fed up with the purely Hicksian interpretation of the George of Bedford issue when I got too busy for reading and put the book aside, so I don't know how he treats the precontract. It's a pity he didn't take a bit longer over his research or get more comments on his draft before publishing because he's probably the most intelligent author to have waded into the fray since the Dig and is a very gifted writer. I just don't think that people taking on the subject of Richard's life who are not already specialists in the period realise what a minefield they are entering.

2016-07-25 08:58:40
Hilary Jones

Thanks Marie. Like you I enjoyed the book (howlers included) until I got to the death of Edward bit when ruthless Richard emerges and sees off the poor Woodvilles. I should have made it clear I was talking about his take on the Edward/EW marriage, not the Richard/Anne one, which I agree was well done. He does mention canon law or church courts in passing there but seems to base his theory on the fact that Henry VIII (!) was able via Parliament to make his children legitimate at will. But that was Henry VIII. He doesn't mention the Beauforts, which he could, but again they were barred from the throne.
Just to clarify your last point - I recall that it was only children who were born after Edward and Elizabeth married publicly that could not have been deposed? So an attempt to put the matter straight after Edward junior's birth wouldn't have worked? H
To:
Sent: Sunday, 24 July 2016, 19:21

David wrote:"Now, I thought that - accepting for a moment that Commynes and Stillington are both accurate - such a wedding was outlawed by the 4th Lateran. Perhaps Marie could clarify that question."
Marie replies:
Sorry all, haven't been paying attention. Not exactly, is the answer to that. The Fourth Lateran Council did try to encourage people to get married in church after issue of banns in order to make sure that impediments were brought to light and to make bigamy less easy, but it did not go so far as to make clandestine marriages invalid. It did, however, expressly forbid priests to celebrate them, and the general run of clandestine marriages that came before Church courts in the 15th century had been made without any involvement of clergy; in fact I've never seen a case that involved a priest. On those grounds alone I'd take Commines' claim with a pinch of salt.What the Church's dim view of clandestine marriages (probably also from Lateran 4 but I'd need to check) did mean is that Elizabeth Woodville's married status and the legitimacy of her children enjoyed no protection from the effects of her husband's undeclared bigamy. Had Edward and Elizabeth married publicly, such protection would have been afforded them and Edward V could not have been deposed.
On the subject of David Horspool, I actually felt he dealt well with the validity of Richard's marriage, much better obviously than Michael Hicks and considerably better than the late lamented David Baldwin, who couldn't quite bring himself to believe that Hicks could be so wrong. I have only read part of David H's book so far, and I found his treatment of the dispensation much more satisfactory than, say, his undecidedness regarding Richard's late crossing to the Low Countries in 1470. He'd looked at all the available evidence, and it all points in the same direction so I understand Anne Sutton's frustration with this, to which she alludes in her latest Ricardian article. I was getting rather fed up with the purely Hicksian interpretation of the George of Bedford issue when I got too busy for reading and put the book aside, so I don't know how he treats the precontract. It's a pity he didn't take a bit longer over his research or get more comments on his draft before publishing because he's probably the most intelligent author to have waded into the fray since the Dig and is a very gifted writer. I just don't think that people taking on the subject of Richard's life who are not already specialists in the period realise what a minefield they are entering.

2016-07-25 10:46:43
mariewalsh2003

Just to clarify your last point - I recall that it was only children who were born after Edward and Elizabeth married publicly that could not have been deposed? So an attempt to put the matter straight after Edward junior's birth wouldn't have worked? H

Marie here:

Nope. If they'd married publicly in the first place, with Elizabeth Woodville unaware of the bigamy, and Eleanor Butler hadn't come forward to claim her marriage and no witness to it had come forward to declare the impediment, then Elizabeth as an innocent party would have had her children's legitimacy protected in canon law (whether common law would have taken the same stance, I'm not sure). But by marrying Edward clandestinely, without giving the public a chance to come forward to disclose impediments, she was accepting the risk that she was marrying someone who was not free to marry her.

As for Edward marrying her legally later - well, there was a further canon which said that an adulterer was barred from ever marrying a woman with whom he had committed adultery. So strictly speaking Edward and Elizabeth could never have made a legal marriage.

In terms of evidence for there having been a precontract, I find it interesting that Edward didn't go through a public marriage with Elizabeth after his clandestine one had been announced. Apparently most clandestine marriages were followed up with public weddings in church. In fact, the Burgundian chronicler Wavrin was so confused by this that he mistook Elizabeth's coronation for a public marriage to the King.

Could parliament have declared King Edward's issue legitimate in common law? Of course - despite the fact that there were solid grounds in canon law for declaring Edward V and his siblings bastards (assuming the truth of the precontract story), the matter was never ruled on by a church court - it was parliament that bastardised them and therefore they were only ever declared bastards under common law. Parliament could equally have taken the opposite view. The point is that Richard/ the parliamentary representatives had a choice, and they chose the other route.

Political expediency - and for Richard his own safety - would have been a big consideration, but if you read Titulus Regius you very much see a religious way of looking at the country's ills which identified the promise of Edward IV's reign as having turned rotten at the point of, and because of, his sham marriage to Elizabeth Woodville - and that of course was a clear sign that it was irredeemably wrong. The country therefore couldn't return to a happy and healthy path until the results of that false marriage - perhaps effected by witchcraft - were undone. Now this may have been cynical spin on someone's part, but I bet you it was deeply believable to Richard and a lot of others who had had to endure exile, battle, the deaths of dear friends and family on both sides, and then, in Richard's case of course, the execution of his other brother. His only qualms would have been about whether or not it was right for him to make use of Clarence's attainder to set aside his children as well. If they were going ahead with bastardising the Woodvilles, though, I don't think he'd really have had a choice because no one would accept putting an even younger child on the throne instead.

2016-07-25 13:22:37
Hilary Jones
Thanks very much. It was your para 2 that I was thinking of.
The thing historians don't seem to pick up on at all is that it was totally unknown of for a queen dowager or her family to be involved in being proxy rulers for an underage king. Given that kings married 'foreigners' that would be unthinkable (and there was also the precedent of Isabella and Mortimer). Down the ages we would have had foreign kings/dukes ruling this land until a boy was judged of age. It goes to show how outlandish was the Woodville marriage. The more and more work I do the more this becomes apparent. And Horspool does make a good point about the delay in Edward's revealing the marriage - did he really intend it? H

To:
Sent: Monday, 25 July 2016, 10:46

Marie here:Nope. If they'd married publicly in the first place, with Elizabeth Woodville unaware of the bigamy, and Eleanor Butler hadn't come forward to claim her marriage and no witness to it had come forward to declare the impediment, then Elizabeth as an innocent party would have had her children's legitimacy protected in canon law (whether common law would have taken the same stance, I'm not sure). But by marrying Edward clandestinely, without giving the public a chance to come forward to disclose impediments, she was accepting the risk that she was marrying someone who was not free to marry her. As for Edward marrying her legally later - well, there was a further canon which said that an adulterer was barred from ever marrying a woman with whom he had committed adultery. So strictly speaking Edward and Elizabeth could never have made a legal marriage.In terms of evidence for there having been a precontract, I find it interesting that Edward didn't go through a public marriage with Elizabeth after his clandestine one had been announced. Apparently most clandestine marriages were followed up with public weddings in church. In fact, the Burgundian chronicler Wavrin was so confused by this that he mistook Elizabeth's coronation for a public marriage to the King.Could parliament have declared King Edward's issue legitimate in common law? Of course - despite the fact that there were solid grounds in canon law for declaring Edward V and his siblings bastards (assuming the truth of the precontract story), the matter was never ruled on by a church court - it was parliament that bastardised them and therefore they were only ever declared bastards under common law. Parliament could equally have taken the opposite view. The point is that Richard/ the parliamentary representatives had a choice, and they chose the other route. Political expediency - and for Richard his own safety - would have been a big consideration, but if you read Titulus Regius you very much see a religious way of looking at the country's ills which identified the promise of Edward IV's reign as having turned rotten at the point of, and because of, his sham marriage to Elizabeth Woodville - and that of course was a clear sign that it was irredeemably wrong. The country therefore couldn't return to a happy and healthy path until the results of that false marriage - perhaps effected by witchcraft - were undone. Now this may have been cynical spin on someone's part, but I bet you it was deeply believable to Richard and a lot of others who had had to endure exile, battle, the deaths of dear friends and family on both sides, and then, in Richard's case of course, the execution of his other brother. His only qualms would have been about whether or not it was right for him to make use of Clarence's attainder to set aside his children as well. If they were going ahead with bastardising the Woodvilles, though, I don't think he'd really have had a choice because no one would accept putting an even younger child on the throne instead.

2016-07-25 13:29:28
b.eileen25
Excellent post Marie. Very well put.

2016-07-25 17:48:18
Stephen

Presumably, the same strictures would have affected the Widville “marriage” anyway, so it was either invalid through bigamy or invalid for other reasons?

Sent: 24 July 2016 19:21
To:

David wrote:

"Now, I thought that - accepting for a moment that Commynes and Stillington are both accurate - such a wedding was outlawed by the 4th Lateran. Perhaps Marie could clarify that question."

Marie replies:

Sorry all, haven't been paying attention. Not exactly, is the answer to that. The Fourth Lateran Council did try to encourage people to get married in church after issue of banns in order to make sure that impediments were brought to light and to make bigamy less easy, but it did not go so far as to make clandestine marriages invalid. It did, however, expressly forbid priests to celebrate them, and the general run of clandestine marriages that came before Church courts in the 15th century had been made without any involvement of clergy; in fact I've never seen a case that involved a priest. On those grounds alone I'd take Commines' claim with a pinch of salt.

What the Church's dim view of clandestine marriages (probably also from Lateran 4 but I'd need to check) did mean is that Elizabeth Woodville's married status and the legitimacy of her children enjoyed no protection from the effects of her husband's undeclared bigamy. Had Edward and Elizabeth married publicly, such protection would have been afforded them and Edward V could not have been deposed.

2016-07-25 20:38:34
Durose David

Indeed, the same rules would apply to the Woodville marriage. But I have read that it was witnessed by the bride's mother, a named priest and two ladies. I am not sure of the original source for this.

Surely, Jacquetta would be too worldly to allow her magic spells go to waste.

The lateran ban is quite specific to ceremonies where only a priest is present.

Regards

David

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

To: <>;
Subject: RE: to read
Sent: Mon, Jul 25, 2016 4:48:14 PM

Presumably, the same strictures would have affected the Widville marriage anyway, so it was either invalid through bigamy or invalid for other reasons?

Sent: 24 July 2016 19:21
To:

David wrote:

Marie replies:

On the subject of David Horspool, I actually felt he dealt well with the validity of Richard's marriage, much better obviously than Michael Hicks and considerably better than the late lamented David Baldwin, who couldn't quite bring himself to believe that Hicks could be so wrong. I have only read part of David H's book so far, and I found his treatment of the dispensation much more satisfactory than, say, his undecidedness regarding Richard's late crossing to the Low Countries in 1470. He'd looked at all the available evidence, and it all points in the same direction so I understand Anne Sutton's frustration with this, to which she alludes in her latest Ricardian article. I was getting rather fed up with the purely Hicksian interpretation of the George of Bedford issue when I got too busy for reading and put the book aside, so I don't know how he treats the precontract. It's a pity he didn't take a bit longer over his research or get more comments on his draft before publishing because he's probably the most intelligent author to have waded into the fray since the Dig and is a very gifted writer. I just don't think that people taking on the subject of Richard's life who are not already specialists in the period realise what a minefield they are entering.

2016-07-25 23:48:33
mariewalsh2003

Let me be clear - having a priest celebrate a clandestine marriage would not invalidate the marriage, just get the priest into trouble if he was found out. The invalidity of the Woodville marriage rests elsewhere entirely.

I'm pretty sure, David, that that the above description of the Woodville marriage comes from a Tudor source. I would personally take it with a pinch of salt because what is described there is just too proper to be credible - it would have been difficult to keep that sort of arrangement entirely secret from the Woodville household at large or the king's attendants, surely. It comes across to me as simply an attempt to make the marriage sound more respectable than it was. Titulus Regius, on the other hand, states that it took place 'in a private chamber, a profane place', and although that sounds like the opposite sort of propaganda it would actually have been much more normal for a clandestine marriage. You would expect a couple of witnesses, though, unless the bride was being really careless, because otherwise there would be no comeback if the guy turned round afterwards and tried to deny he'd ever made a commitment of marriage.

2016-07-26 11:14:42
Frederika Rachette

i thank you all for all the advice, there are lot of reading for me.

apologies for the late reply, i am way behind my emails

2016-07-26 11:35:39
ricard1an
I was thinking about this last night. Edward must have been aware that he should make a marriage with a foreign princess/duchess and that Warwick was negotiating for the hand of Bona of Savoy. Maybe because he had got away with marrying Eleanor and it not being discovered made him think he could get away with it again with Elizabeth. After all he was the King wasn't he ? I think that he possibly reckoned without taking account of Jacquetta. Just a thought.
Mary

2016-07-26 13:13:52
Hilary Jones
I agree. Most women were flattered to be a king's mistress, unless they were the daughter of the Dowager Duchess of Bedford.
Incidentally, one for Marie, if a child is conceived in an adulterous relationship but the parents marry before it's born then does it legitimise it? I'm thinking Elizabeth I here. The whole area is fraught, isn't it? H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 26 July 2016, 11:35

I was thinking about this last night. Edward must have been aware that he should make a marriage with a foreign princess/duchess and that Warwick was negotiating for the hand of Bona of Savoy. Maybe because he had got away with marrying Eleanor and it not being discovered made him think he could get away with it again with Elizabeth. After all he was the King wasn't he ? I think that he possibly reckoned without taking account of Jacquetta. Just a thought.
Mary

2016-07-26 13:18:49
Hilary Jones
To answer my own question I suppose Henry would say he was never legitimately married but the Church thought otherwise? H

To: "" <>
Sent: Tuesday, 26 July 2016, 13:13

I agree. Most women were flattered to be a king's mistress, unless they were the daughter of the Dowager Duchess of Bedford.
Incidentally, one for Marie, if a child is conceived in an adulterous relationship but the parents marry before it's born then does it legitimise it? I'm thinking Elizabeth I here. The whole area is fraught, isn't it? H

To:

Mary

2016-07-26 13:43:39
Stephen

IF they were free to marry at the time of birth, a subsequent marriage would legitimise a child.

Sent: 26 July 2016 13:14
To:

I agree. Most women were flattered to be a king's mistress, unless they were the daughter of the Dowager Duchess of Bedford .

To:

I was thinking about this last night. Edward must have been aware that he should make a marriage with a foreign princess/duchess and that Warwick was negotiating for the hand of Bona of Savoy. Maybe because he had got away with marrying Eleanor and it not being discovered made him think he could get away with it again with Elizabeth . After all he was the King wasn't he ? I think that he possibly reckoned without taking account of Jacquetta. Just a thought.

Mary

2016-07-26 15:08:57
b.eileen25
Henry made it up as he went along..Church say you can't do what you want to do..change church then..

2016-07-26 15:20:34
sandramachin
Simples. From: mailto: Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:08 PM To: Subject: Re: to read

Henry made it up as he went along..Church say you can't do what you want to do..change church then..

2016-07-26 16:04:04
b.eileen25
Wife get on nerves..off chop head..

2016-07-26 16:12:29
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary again,

I've only just read your post properly! If a child was conceived in adultery then the parents couldn't marry. The Elizabeth I question is different because Henry denied the validity of his marriage to Katherine of Aragon. According to him, he had not been married to Katherine and so Mary was a bastard and Elizabeth was legitimate. According to Katherine Henry was her husband so, Mary was legitimate and Elizabeth was a bastard.

2016-07-26 16:31:09
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

Yes, a child conceived outside marriage but born within it was legitimate.

A child born outside marriage to two single people who later married became, on its parents' marriage, legitimate in canon law but remained a bastard under common law. I guess the common-law stance was to protect the rights of the children born within an arranged marriage as the young man would often have illegitimate children already.

To Mary: Yes indeed, I think it's very likely that Edward hadn't meant to recognise his marriage to Elizabeth but had reckoned without her ability to make trouble for him abroad. If he had meant to acknowledge the marriage then why the delay?

2016-07-28 11:31:55
Hilary Jones
Just found you in my trash (again!). Nice to hear from you! H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 26 July 2016, 15:20

Simples. From: mailto: Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:08 PM To: Subject: Re: to read Henry made it up as he went along..Church say you can't do what you want to do..change church then..

2016-07-28 12:34:44
sandramachin
Yes, I'm still around. I read the forum posts, but can only respond, not post something new myself. At least, I couldn't. I haven't tried again recently. Darned Yahoo. =^..^= From: mailto: Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:31 AM To: Subject: Re: to read

Just found you in my trash (again!). Nice to hear from you! H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 26 July 2016, 15:20
Simples. From: mailto: Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:08 PM To: Subject: Re: to read Henry made it up as he went along..Church say you can't do what you want to do..change church then..

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.