Papal dispensations again

Papal dispensations again

2016-06-13 00:01:29
drajhtoo
Everyone is probably sick & tired of this issue. I'm reading an article from 2009 in the Ricardian Register about Richard as Duke of Gloucester, in which the author wrote

A dispensation dated April 1472 absolved Gloucester and Anne Neville from the impediment resulting from her marriage to Edward of Lancaster. Dispensations for three other impediments are still missing.

My recollection of earlier discussions on this forum is that one other dispensation was required & very likely had been obtained by Warwick at the same time as one was obtained for George & Isabel to marry. And that a third dispensation championed by Hicks is nonsense. But a fourth?

Does anyone here know what the author is talking about?

A J

Re: Papal dispensations again

2016-06-13 22:20:51
mariewalsh2003

AJ wrote:

Everyone is probably sick & tired of this issue. I'm reading an article from 2009 in the Ricardian Register about Richard as Duke of Gloucester, in which the author wrote

A dispensation dated April 1472 absolved Gloucester and Anne Neville from the impediment resulting from her marriage to Edward of Lancaster. Dispensations for three other impediments are still missing.

My recollection of earlier discussions on this forum is that one other dispensation was required & very likely had been obtained by Warwick at the same time as one was obtained for George & Isabel to marry. And that a third dispensation championed by Hicks is nonsense. But a fourth?

Does anyone here know what the author is talking about?

Marie here:

There were indeed three impediments but the author of this article is not correct to suggest they would have required more than one dispensation. They were the same three blood relationships from which Clarence and Isabel had obtained a (single) dispensation. It only happened that multiple dispensations were issued if the couple had overlooked an impediment when they made their original application, or if - as in the case of Richard and Anne - a new impediment arose later. The latter was an unusual situation since not many people got a dispensation to marry one relative, married his cousin instead but got promptly widowed and decided to marry the first guy after all.........

Re: Papal dispensations again

2016-07-25 17:17:33
drajhtoo
Thanks Marie. Sorry it's taken me so long to see your response. I just don't seem to get along very well with Yahoo.

A J
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.