Sir Roger Clifford

Sir Roger Clifford

2016-05-17 09:46:22
drajhtoo
This reads like something out of historical fiction, but in attempting to find out about Sir Roger Clifford, I came across a webpage has a story about Richard's wedding. Has anyone encountered this story before?

"In 1470 Edward IV was deposed by Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick. He escaped to Burgandy, but in 1471 returned to England and was welcomed into York by Robert Clifford before going on to regain his throne at the Battles of Barnet and Tewkesbury in 1471. At the wedding of Richard , Duke of Gloucester, the climax of the party was a duel between Robert Clifford and John Cheyne. In 1483, Richard III acceded to the throne, and shortly afterwards faced a revolt by his erstwhile supporter, the Duke of Buckingham. Both Sir Roger Clifford and Robert Clifford were implicated, and when the revolt failed, both attempted to leave the country. Robert Clifford succeeded, but Sir Roger Clifford was arrested, tried, and condemned to death for treason.

Despite an attempt by a mob led by a priest to rescue him while on his way to his execution, he was executed in 1485. Sir Roger Clifford therefore spent his life fighting for the Lancastrian cause only to lose his life days before its ultimate success."

A J

see des ormais, des ormais!

des ormais, des ormais! Summary The Red Wyvern Society usually depicts the Clifford Household. During this period the Clifford family were Lords of Westmorland with extensive l... View on www.red-wyverns.org.uk Preview by Yahoo

Re: Sir Roger Clifford

2016-05-17 10:30:14
Hilary Jones
Welcome AJ someone is alive out there!!
I've never heard of this in fact I thought we didn't know the date of Richard's marriage, although it couldn't be in Lent, so some say after April 1472? I'm sure Marie would know more.
Sir Roger Clifford was indeed executed on Tower Hill in May 1485. According to Horrox (who doesn't really say why apart from rebelling) the Cliffords had been more Warwick than Richard men and were never very close to him. Indeed their history was fighting for Lancaster (in comes Shakespeare). Sir Roger's marriage with Joan Courtenay seems to have taken him further into a nest of traitors. She was the granddaughter of John Beaufort Duke of Somerset and went on to marry the attainted William Knyvet. Her brother had died fighting for Lancaster at Tewkesbury and she was a cousin to MB. Other members of the family had fought for Lancaster. Sir Roger's brother Sir Robert and his own son Charles became squires and the former as Master of Ordinance to H7.According to a snippet I found it was Sir Robert who turned King's evidence on William Stanley after being bribed by HT. Both Cliffords were uncle by marriage to Thomas Stanley's son Edward. In all quite a mess.
Just shows that coming from Yorkshire didn't necessarily guarantee support for Richard. The Plumptons also figure in this. I'm never quite sure where they stand and they're all part of a group I'm looking at. Hope this helps a bit. H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 17 May 2016, 8:02
Subject: Sir Roger Clifford

This reads like something out of historical fiction, but in attempting to find out about Sir Roger Clifford, I came across a webpage has a story about Richard's wedding. Has anyone encountered this story before?

"In 1470 Edward IV was deposed by Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick. He escaped to Burgandy, but in 1471 returned to England and was welcomed into York by Robert Clifford before going on to regain his throne at the Battles of Barnet and Tewkesbury in 1471. At the wedding of Richard , Duke of Gloucester, the climax of the party was a duel between Robert Clifford and John Cheyne. In 1483, Richard III acceded to the throne, and shortly afterwards faced a revolt by his erstwhile supporter, the Duke of Buckingham. Both Sir Roger Clifford and Robert Clifford were implicated, and when the revolt failed, both attempted to leave the country. Robert Clifford succeeded, but Sir Roger Clifford was arrested, tried, and condemned to death for treason. Despite an attempt by a mob led by a priest to rescue him while on his way to his execution, he was executed in 1485. Sir Roger Clifford therefore spent his life fighting for the Lancastrian cause only to lose his life days before its ultimate success."

A J
see des ormais, des ormais!
des ormais, des ormais! Summary The Red Wyvern Society usually depicts the Clifford Household. During this period the Clifford family were Lords of Westmorland with extensive l... View on www.red-wyverns.org.uk Preview by Yahoo

Re: Sir Roger Clifford

2016-05-17 14:49:01
drajhtoo
Thanks Hilary.

Actually I think I've found the answer, a Google search on Clifford & Cheney turned up this gem

It starts about page 24, although the next numbered page is 28.

Narrative of the Marriage of Richard Duke of York with Ann of Norfolk, The 'Matrimonial Feast,' and the Grand Justing A D 1477.

I just skimmed it, but it looks as if it includes an account of a joust where both Cheney & Clifford were participants. So probably the author of the Clifford page had his Richard's & Anne's confused!

If the mega-long url doesn't work, the title of the book is Illustrations of ancient state and chivalry from manuscripts preserved in the Ashmolean museum, published in 1839.

A J

https://books.google.com/books?id=dGtbAAAAQAAJ&pg=PR1&lpg=PR1&dq=%22illustrations+of+ancient+state+and+chivalry%22&source=bl&ots=NqWGw0GV1c&sig=v1sULIaC8_ewPjhy1ay2NXtspBw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGwt6GyeDMAhWo6IMKHUaHDiMQ6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=%22illustrations%20of%20ancient%20state%20and%20chivalry%22&f=false

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.