Stillington's Acquisitions

Stillington's Acquisitions

2016-04-05 13:04:27
hjnatdat

Sometimes when I'm researching one thing another leaps out. I was deep in Horrox (spend a lot of time there these days) when a page fell open which says that in 1485 one William Benstead, one of Richard's squires, sold land to our bishop for the sum of £300! It's part of the land which you may recall Reggie Bray acquired from Stillington's heirs in 1491/2 and then passed to MB (Jones & Underwood). Where was Stillington getting this money from - this was only part of the land Bray acquired but the first I've tracked down? Suppose he could have saved up:) :)

Secondly, in her will MB talks about having enfeoffed her land in Dorset to Robert Bishop of Bath and Wells in the time of Edward IV. Now the same will shows she had enfeoffed other land, mainly to religious houses, and some to Fisher in the time of her son's kingship. But Stillington is the only bishop singled out.

Was this a way of laundering money to send to HT in exile? Going right back to the CPR of Edward's first reign there are a lot of problems with religious houses in the south west. And something certainly seemed to be going on in Calais, probably more so after the demise of Hastings. H

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.