Nobles on pilgrimages

Nobles on pilgrimages

2016-03-21 04:07:56
maroonnavywhite

Hello, all,

Was wanting to pick your collective brains concerning whether it would be bad form for nobles traveling on a pilgrimage to go by themselves or with a bare minimum of servants. (This assumes of course that they would be traveling through a reasonably peaceful area.)

What do you all think?

Tamara

Re: Nobles on pilgrimages

2016-03-21 10:28:18
Hilary Jones
I can't answer you directly but I would say from my data that disease was a bigger risk than a fatal attack - quite a lot died of disease on pilgrimage. But then I can't imagine Richard Beauchamp setting off on his own without a fairly large retinue to both protect him and see to his needs. Perhaps you went with a buddy to spread the cost? H

To:
Sent: Monday, 21 March 2016, 4:07
Subject: Nobles on pilgrimages

Hello, all,
Was wanting to pick your collective brains concerning whether it would be bad form for nobles traveling on a pilgrimage to go by themselves or with a bare minimum of servants. (This assumes of course that they would be traveling through a reasonably peaceful area.)
What do you all think?
Tamara

Re: Nobles on pilgrimages

2016-03-21 10:51:13
sandramachin
I can't answer this question, Tamara, but (if it's an indication of the norm) I do have the wording of the April 1488 royal licence for Sir Humphrey Talbot to go on pilgrimage:- Rex universis et singulis admirallis, capitaneis, castellanis et eorum locatenentibus, custodibus portuum maris et passagiorum, ac scrutatoribus eorundem, necnon vicecomitibus, majoribus, ballivis, constabulariis, praepositis, ministris, ac omnibus aliis fidelibus ligeis nostris ubilibet constitutis ad quos, etc. salutem. Sciatis quod certis de causis et considerationibus nos specialiter moventibus, de gratia nostra speciali licentiam dedimus, ac praesentes licentiam damus, dilecto et fideli nostro Humfrido Talbot militi marescallo villae nostrae Calesiae, quod ipse, cum sex personis in comitiva sua, versus et usque urban Romanam peregre proficisci, cum equis, hernesiis, manticis, fardellis ac caeteris sibi necessariis et oportunis valeat, absque scrutinio , impetitione, molestatione, perturbatione gravamine, seu calumnia nostri, aut officiariorum seu ministrorum nostrorum quorumcumque. The King to all and singular his Admirals, captains, castellans and their lieutenants, the keepers of the ports of the sea and of the passages, and the tellers of the same, as well as sheriffs, Mayor, Bailiff, constables, reeves, ministers, and all other our lieges the faithful wherever they settled, to whom, and so on. health. Know ye, that for certain causes and considerations moving us in a special way, of our special grace license dedibus, we give permission to by their presence, to his beloved and faithful, our houses, our Humphrey Talbot, knight, marshal of Calais, that he, with six persons in the company of their own, verses, and as far as the Roman urban a far country, to set out, with horses, harness, backpack, cloths and other necessary and convenient to themselves to be able to, without ballot, impeachment, annoyance caused by, the perturbation to the detriment of, or charge us, or to officers or ministers of us whatsoever. Et ideo vobis mandamus quod ipsum Humfridum versus et usque urbem praedictam, cum personis praedictis in comitava praedicta, ac cum equis, hernesiis, manitcis, fardellis, ac caeteris praemissis, absque scrutiniam seu impeditmento aliquo, libere transire permittetis. In cujus, etc. Teste Rege apud Eborum xxv die Aprilis. And we command that the Humphrey and the city in question, the persons mentioned in the county aforesaid, and with the horses, harness, manitcis cloths, and other premises, without scrutiny or impeditmento a free pass will allow. The witness,. Witness the King at York XXV April. From: mailto: Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 10:28 AM To: Subject: Re: Nobles on pilgrimages

I can't answer you directly but I would say from my data that disease was a bigger risk than a fatal attack - quite a lot died of disease on pilgrimage. But then I can't imagine Richard Beauchamp setting off on his own without a fairly large retinue to both protect him and see to his needs. Perhaps you went with a buddy to spread the cost? H

To:
Sent: Monday, 21 March 2016, 4:07
Subject: Nobles on pilgrimages
Hello, all,
Was wanting to pick your collective brains concerning whether it would be bad form for nobles traveling on a pilgrimage to go by themselves or with a bare minimum of servants. (This assumes of course that they would be traveling through a reasonably peaceful area.) What do you all think? Tamara

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.