Matching 1483 rebels

Matching 1483 rebels

2016-03-15 14:47:38
hjnatdat

Now I have a pretty large database, I'm in the (rather tedious) process of matching those attainted in the 1484 Parliament to their relationship with MB and others. Not surprisingly, most stack up and it's the less well-known that are harder (but not impossible) to track down. If I set MB as my 'file root' and try to match her with them then I would say that, so far, the thing that hits you most (apart from those whose parents have been executed for treason by Edward) is that quite a lot of matches are through her husbands - and I don't mean Tudor. So one question is:

Was Buckingham's rebellion really about him and not Henry Tudor, because there are an awful lot of Stafford (and Stanley) supporters in there? Once they had declared their hand and he had failed, they were destined to the 'last chance saloon' of HT. So how had Buckingham persuaded them given his flimsy public record?

One interesting character is Michael Skilling. He isn't any old yeoman/courtier. His family 'own' Draycot Fitzpayne in Dorset (yes the Eleanor place) and he is allied to Sir William Stonor and Thomas Milbourne who both have a history of Lancastrian support. And then there's Sir Roger Tocotes, who is allied through marriage to the Beauchamps of Powick, also attainted. Everything so far, and there's a good forty more to track down, points to a network, not random discontented Edward-admirers. But whose network?

Incidentally, looking at MB's will and the properties it mentions (some of which concern Stillington and is another topic) Thomas Stanley was quite active on her behalf in the West Country. Interesting that. H

Re: Matching 1483 rebels

2016-03-15 14:52:41
Hilary Jones
Sorry Draycott Fitzpayne Wiltshire. H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 14:47
Subject: Matching 1483 rebels

Now I have a pretty large database, I'm in the (rather tedious) process of matching those attainted in the 1484 Parliament to their relationship with MB and others. Not surprisingly, most stack up and it's the less well-known that are harder (but not impossible) to track down. If I set MB as my 'file root' and try to match her with them then I would say that, so far, the thing that hits you most (apart from those whose parents have been executed for treason by Edward) is that quite a lot of matches are through her husbands - and I don't mean Tudor. So one question is:
Was Buckingham's rebellion really about him and not Henry Tudor, because there are an awful lot of Stafford (and Stanley) supporters in there? Once they had declared their hand and he had failed, they were destined to the 'last chance saloon' of HT. So how had Buckingham persuaded them given his flimsy public record?
One interesting character is Michael Skilling. He isn't any old yeoman/courtier. His family 'own' Draycot Fitzpayne in Dorset (yes the Eleanor place) and he is allied to Sir William Stonor and Thomas Milbourne who both have a history of Lancastrian support. And then there's Sir Roger Tocotes, who is allied through marriage to the Beauchamps of Powick, also attainted. Everything so far, and there's a good forty more to track down, points to a network, not random discontented Edward-admirers. But whose network?
Incidentally, looking at MB's will and the properties it mentions (some of which concern Stillington and is another topic) Thomas Stanley was quite active on her behalf in the West Country. Interesting that. H

2016-03-15 20:29:40
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

When you say Stafford supporters did you mean something else, because obviously that suggests Buckingham?

Have you played Devil's Advocate / controlled the experiment by looking for links between:

a) attainted rebels and household of EIV; and

b) attainted rebels and Buckingham?

I think all anyone's ever suggested is that Tudor may not have been the original pretender. His mother was clearly deeply involved, and being an effective networker would obviously have mobilised as many of her contacts as possible. The aims at any particular stage are difficult to assess, given that we have lost almost all the trial records. Buckingham and MB may have been deceiving each other but the rebels must have had a name to rally behind, even if the name changed at a late stage.

It's interesting to me that both families attacked by Clarence in 1477 - i.e. Twynyho and Tocotes - joined the rebellion against Richard. It's very likely that one motivation was that for them Richard represented what had been Clarence's side in the court rivalry. But also, as you point out, their social networks were so closely interwoven with families like the Cheyneys and Stonors. Maybe the Cheyney network is more important to the southern risings than links with MB?

The Beauchamps of Powick weren't themselves involved or attainted, only Tocotes' stepson, Richard Beauchamp Lord St. Amand. Tocotes' wife, Lady St Amand, was just the widow of William Beauchamp, Lord St Amand, who had been a cousin of the Beauchamps of Powick.* The Beauchamp with whom Tocotes actually developed a working relationship by virtue of his marriage was his wife's brother-in-law the Bishop of Salisbury.

*William, Lord St Amand (Tocotes's wife's first husband, d. 1457) was 1st cousin to John, 1st Lord Beauchamp of Powick (d. 1475). Tocotes' stepson, Richard Lord St Amand, was the therefore a 2nd cousin of Richard, the Lord Beauchamp of Powick in 1483. Different circles - Richard Lord B. of Powick was married to a sister of Humphrey Stafford of Grafton and had also been a very close neighbour of Thomas Burdet.

2016-03-16 10:38:55
Hilary Jones
Hi Marie, I intend to play devil's advocate quite a bit (including their relationship to EW, Edward and even Richard through his wife) but I need to do a few more because the easy ones are of course well known and already analysed (whether correctly is another thing).
Re Richard Beauchamp of Powick, he was also the grandson of Gerard Braybrooke, one of the Harcourt/Doyley/Danvers/Greene (Bucks/Beds/Northants) Lancastrian clan. He married a West you probably know and was therefore related to the Guildfords and indeed a cousin of the attainted Sir Thomas Delamere.
You mention Richard Beauchamp Bishop of Salisbury who died in 1481. Now he's interesting because the Delameres went on to marry into the Dabridgecourt family in Berkshire and also the Wodes, sheriffs of Berks. Anne Wode married Sir Thomas Stukeley of Affeton, Sheriff of Devon. In her will MB left money to her servants Richard and Margaret Stucley. Dabridgecourt has been suggested as the family name of Beckynton.
Also the Cheynes or Cheneys. In his 'Eleanor' book JAH talks about her Wiltshire lands being passed to one Thomas Rogers. Indeed both Sir John Cheney and Thomas Rogers seem to have been associated with them. Thomas Rogers was married to the daughter of Sir William Courtenay of Powderham (not the Earls of Devon) and brother in law to a Cheney who was wife of Sir William Courtenay the HT supporter. He was also ancestor to a number of MPs who did rather well under the Tudors. And his wife was the granddaughter of a Hungerford. In fact his whole family tree reads like a Tudor/Lancastrian pedigree - Hungerford, Poyntz, Courtenay, Beaumont, Bodrugan and Sir John Craddock-Newton! The Talbots don't seem to shine in this do they?
Re Buckingham and MB I do wonder who took the lead at the start. She was after all quite a compromiser - she moved in Court circles, she didn't join her son in exile like MOA. Did Buckingham tell her that he could persuade Richard to let HT come home? And did he try the same tactic with EW about her sons? And then of course Richard, who he didn't really know well at all, wouldn't countenance either and it all went very pear-shaped?
Back to work! H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 15 March 2016, 20:29
Subject: Re: Matching 1483 rebels

Hi Hilary,
When you say Stafford supporters did you mean something else, because obviously that suggests Buckingham?
Have you played Devil's Advocate / controlled the experiment by looking for links between:a) attainted rebels and household of EIV; andb) attainted rebels and Buckingham?
I think all anyone's ever suggested is that Tudor may not have been the original pretender. His mother was clearly deeply involved, and being an effective networker would obviously have mobilised as many of her contacts as possible. The aims at any particular stage are difficult to assess, given that we have lost almost all the trial records. Buckingham and MB may have been deceiving each other but the rebels must have had a name to rally behind, even if the name changed at a late stage.
It's interesting to me that both families attacked by Clarence in 1477 - i.e. Twynyho and Tocotes - joined the rebellion against Richard. It's very likely that one motivation was that for them Richard represented what had been Clarence's side in the court rivalry. But also, as you point out, their social networks were so closely interwoven with families like the Cheyneys and Stonors. Maybe the Cheyney network is more important to the southern risings than links with MB? The Beauchamps of Powick weren't themselves involved or attainted, only Tocotes' stepson, Richard Beauchamp Lord St. Amand. Tocotes' wife, Lady St Amand, was just the widow of William Beauchamp, Lord St Amand, who had been a cousin of the Beauchamps of Powick.* The Beauchamp with whom Tocotes actually developed a working relationship by virtue of his marriage was his wife's brother-in-law the Bishop of Salisbury.
*William, Lord St Amand (Tocotes's wife's first husband, d. 1457) was 1st cousin to John, 1st Lord Beauchamp of Powick (d. 1475). Tocotes' stepson, Richard Lord St Amand, was the therefore a 2nd cousin of Richard, the Lord Beauchamp of Powick in 1483. Different circles - Richard Lord B. of Powick was married to a sister of Humphrey Stafford of Grafton and had also been a very close neighbour of Thomas Burdet.

2016-03-16 12:26:36
mariewalsh2003

Hilary wrote:

"Re Richard Beauchamp of Powick, he was also the grandson of Gerard Braybrooke, one of the Harcourt/Doyley/Danvers/Greene (Bucks/Beds/Northants) Lancastrian clan. He married a West you probably know and was therefore related to the Guildfords and indeed a cousin of the attainted Sir Thomas Delamere."

Marie here:

I'm afraid you're still confusing the St Amand Beauchamps with their kinsfolk the Beauchamps of Powick. The Richard Beauchamp who was the grandson of Gerard Braybroke was Richard of St. Amand, Tocotes' stepson, not Richard Lord Beauchamp of Powick. The Powick and St. Amand Richard Beauchamps were second cousins. Richard Beauchamp of Powick's mother was Margaret Ferrers. The Richard Beauchamp attainted in 1484 was Tocotes' stepson Richard of St Amand - the Act of Attainder is quite explicit.

I also discovered, from correspondence with the author of a 'Ricardian' article on one of the Cheyneys that the West Country branch had split off a couple of hundred years before this period and had no real connections with their more illustrious namesakes, so we need to be careful about which Cheyneys we are looking at.

Are you sure Sir William Courtenay of Powderham was a supporter of HT? There was one notable member of that family who was an enemy of RIII, and that is Peter, Bishop of Exeter, (and the Edward Courtenay whom Henry VII created Earl of Devon may have belonged to the Powderham branch) but in general the family were on the other side, retainers first of Warwick and then of Clarence - one of the sisters was indeed godmother to Clarence's last baby, Richard. Sir William Courtenay remained in favour throughout Buckingham's Rebellion; indeed, he and three of his brothers were granted annuities by Richard on 1 March 1484, and the grant describes Sir Philip Courtenay as a knight of the body, John as an esquire of the body, and Humphrey and William as king's servants. WC was being appointed to commissions throughout 1484. He died in September 1485 so never got much chance to show how well he would have got on with Henry VII.

2016-03-16 15:54:43
Hilary Jones
Sorry, this website is driving me bonkers today.
Mine is the same Sir Richard - son of Sir William (St Anand) Beauchamp, carver to Henry VI and Elizabeth Braybrooke who later married Roger Tocotes.
The Cheney I am looking at is Sir John from Pinhoe Devon (died 20 Jan 1487 father was sheriff of Wilts) whose daughter married Sir William Courtenay of Powderham (died 1512 son of Baron Bonville I think you were talking about) and was sister in law to Thomas Rogers and who was closely related to the Hills of Somerset, the Strecches, Stourtons and the Gaynsfords. In other words the Wiltshire Sheriffs. His son was squire of the body to Henry VIII and he is described as loyal to Henry Tudor. As he was going on for 80 (Cheney) I don't think he was the Bosworth Cheney! BTW one of the later Stukeleys was rumoured to be the son of H8 and Jane Pollard.
Trouble is with all this is that, as you know, you have to dig back. You could have been a marvellous courtier to E4 like the Gorges, the Cholkes, even MB, but you could also have been biding your time, harbouring a grudge. MB herself was the queen of pragmatism. So who could you trust? Sir John Fogge is an example often quoted. But was he really loyal to Edward, or to the Woodvilles? Lot of people from Kent in this. H

To:
Sent: Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 12:26
Subject: Re: Re: Matching 1483 rebels

Hilary wrote:
"Re Richard Beauchamp of Powick, he was also the grandson of Gerard Braybrooke, one of the Harcourt/Doyley/Danvers/Greene (Bucks/Beds/Northants) Lancastrian clan. He married a West you probably know and was therefore related to the Guildfords and indeed a cousin of the attainted Sir Thomas Delamere."

Marie here:
I'm afraid you're still confusing the St Amand Beauchamps with their kinsfolk the Beauchamps of Powick. The Richard Beauchamp who was the grandson of Gerard Braybroke was Richard of St. Amand, Tocotes' stepson, not Richard Lord Beauchamp of Powick. The Powick and St. Amand Richard Beauchamps were second cousins. Richard Beauchamp of Powick's mother was Margaret Ferrers. The Richard Beauchamp attainted in 1484 was Tocotes' stepson Richard of St Amand - the Act of Attainder is quite explicit.
I also discovered, from correspondence with the author of a 'Ricardian' article on one of the Cheyneys that the West Country branch had split off a couple of hundred years before this period and had no real connections with their more illustrious namesakes, so we need to be careful about which Cheyneys we are looking at.
Are you sure Sir William Courtenay of Powderham was a supporter of HT? There was one notable member of that family who was an enemy of RIII, and that is Peter, Bishop of Exeter, (and the Edward Courtenay whom Henry VII created Earl of Devon may have belonged to the Powderham branch) but in general the family were on the other side, retainers first of Warwick and then of Clarence - one of the sisters was indeed godmother to Clarence's last baby, Richard. Sir William Courtenay remained in favour throughout Buckingham's Rebellion; indeed, he and three of his brothers were granted annuities by Richard on 1 March 1484, and the grant describes Sir Philip Courtenay as a knight of the body, John as an esquire of the body, and Humphrey and William as king's servants. WC was being appointed to commissions throughout 1484. He died in September 1485 so never got much chance to show how well he would have got on with Henry VII.

2016-03-16 17:42:44
mariewalsh2003
Hilary wrote:
(1)
"Re Richard Beauchamp of Powick, he was also the grandson of Gerard Braybrooke, one of the Harcourt/Doyley/Danvers/Greene (Bucks/Beds/Northants) Lancastrian clan. He married a West you probably know and was therefore related to the Guildfords and indeed a cousin of the attainted Sir Thomas Delamere."(2)"Mine is the same Sir Richard - son of Sir William (St Anand) Beauchamp, carver to Henry VI and Elizabeth Braybrooke who later married Roger Tocotes."
Marie here:My point seems to have been missed. *That* Sir Richard Beauchamp was not Lord Beauchamp of Powick.
Ah, so you were talking about a later Sir William Courtenay, son of the Sir William of Richard's day. Post-Bosworth Courtenays of Powderham are a slightly different question because they had an easy way into favour via their brother Bishop Courtenay and no alternative patrons. I must admit I've not carried the story forward, but it would be unwise to extrapolate their support for the Tudors back into Richard's reign, marriages included.
The famous Sir John Cheyne of Bosworth had links with Kent, Bucks and possibly Dorset, I think.

2016-03-18 09:41:02
Hilary Jones
Hi Marie, sorry I did say in a post I wrote earlier that Sir Richard was not Lord Beauchamp of Powick but it got wiped. The website was having a really bad day.
Re the Courtenays I agree dad William (died Sep 1485) was probably pro York (son born 1448 supported Tudor invasion) but his much younger brother Walter (married to an Arundel, uncle to William 2) seems to have been attainted in 1484. I was trying to work out how Edward supposedly got hold of the land to give to Eleanor. There don't seem to have been any Courtenay/Cheney attainders (and not from this branch) in her lifetime. Am I right?
BTW please feel free to correct me. The main thing is to get things right and with attainders one only has the name to work on - fine if it is a well known name. Not so fine when it comes from huge families. H

To:
Sent: Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 17:42

Hilary wrote:
(1)
"Re Richard Beauchamp of Powick, he was also the grandson of Gerard Braybrooke, one of the Harcourt/Doyley/Danvers/Greene (Bucks/Beds/Northants) Lancastrian clan. He married a West you probably know and was therefore related to the Guildfords and indeed a cousin of the attainted Sir Thomas Delamere."(2)"Mine is the same Sir Richard - son of Sir William (St Anand) Beauchamp, carver to Henry VI and Elizabeth Braybrooke who later married Roger Tocotes."
Marie here:My point seems to have been missed. *That* Sir Richard Beauchamp was not Lord Beauchamp of Powick.
Ah, so you were talking about a later Sir William Courtenay, son of the Sir William of Richard's day. Post-Bosworth Courtenays of Powderham are a slightly different question because they had an easy way into favour via their brother Bishop Courtenay and no alternative patrons. I must admit I've not carried the story forward, but it would be unwise to extrapolate their support for the Tudors back into Richard's reign, marriages included.
The famous Sir John Cheyne of Bosworth had links with Kent, Bucks and possibly Dorset, I think.

2016-03-18 10:01:26
Hilary Jones
Hi I've just discovered from my notes that Thomas Rogers was Serjeant at law to Edward IV and admitted to Lincoln's Inn at the same time as Walter Hungerford. Thomas died in 1478 but was the grandfather of the famous MP Sir Edward Rogers. H

To:
Sent: Wednesday, 16 March 2016, 17:42

Hilary wrote:
(1)

2016-03-20 15:44:45
drajhtoo
Working through the Calendar of the Patent Rolls, it occurred to me how many of the holdings that had been Clarence's & were being "farmed out" during the minority of Clarence's son, seem to have been where rebels came from. This is a very superficial impression, & fairly low down on my list of things to investigate seriously. If it stands up to serious scrutiny, I have no idea what it might mean...
A J

2016-03-20 22:23:55
mariewalsh2003

Hi AJ,

Do you mean rebels against Richard?

Any examples?

Marie

2016-03-21 10:22:13
Hilary Jones
Strangely AJ I was going to write about this so bear with me.
The first thing I begin to notice is the non-barking dog syndrome. In virtually every book about Richard we hear that majority, who loved Edward, were outraged when his sons were put aside, hence the October rebellions. And they trot out Fogge and Haute as examples. We know that the Staffords, MB, the Stanleys, even the De Veres, had huge familial networks. They could have activated nearly every High Sheriff north of London except Yorkshire, be they Yorkist or old Lancastrian. So where were they all these folk? Not on my list. Then we have the more sensible Horrox who says that it was southerners because they didn't know or like Richard. But where are they - the High Sheriffs of Surrey, Hampshire, Sussex etc. (I have tagged the High Sheriffs and MPs)
No, what we have so far is the normal pattern of groups of plotters. A man, his father-in-law, his cousins, his friends, the cat next door - all in the vicinity of those who hated and resented Edward because he'd attainted members of their family in the past - and I mean the Courtenays, the Hungerfords, even the rebel Bodrugan with the odd Woodville connection thrown in (St Lo). It takes a couple of days to look at the more obscure ones but so far when I do find them I immediately understand why they're there. When I've finished I will post a list and you can see.
A couple of things - there's the odd one who comes from MB's lands in Dorset but I don't reckon MB was activated at this point beyond sending money to fund Henry which would explain Richard's lenient 'sentence'. From her will we can see she enfeoffed a lot of religious houses in the south west, a good way of smuggling money out. These plotters have none of her acumen or her contacts.
Secondly, poor Clarence was bang in the middle of these attainted lands - at Farley Hungerford. How he must have been hated by the folk round there. We know he was popular in Warwickshire so why would he be different in the south? The Twynyhos, the Burdets (I know from Warks) the Talbots,even our friend Stillington and Bishop Beauchamp next door in Salisbury (till 1481) all hover round this area. Perhaps we've attributed too much to MB and not looked enough at the Courtenays, the Hungerfords and their cronies. I certainly now wouldn't rule out a plot against Clarence.
One final point. Why do people writing about Richard churn out the same old thing? Are they so hooked on More and his Tacitus exercise that they can't remove the blinkers? H

To:
Sent: Sunday, 20 March 2016, 15:44

Working through the Calendar of the Patent Rolls, it occurred to me how many of the holdings that had been Clarence's & were being "farmed out" during the minority of Clarence's son, seem to have been where rebels came from. This is a very superficial impression, & fairly low down on my list of things to investigate seriously. If it stands up to serious scrutiny, I have no idea what it might mean...
A J

2016-03-21 10:54:16
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

I agree with your analysis about old Lancastrrians. From what I've been able to see, there were two main groups: old Lancastrians and people who'd had jobs in Edward IV's household and either feared the new order or regarded Richard as a usurper. Others were probably retainers of bigger men who'd already joined. For instance, Sir W. Berkeley of Beverstone's about-turn from Ricardian hero during the protectorate, chasing Edward Woodville's fleet, to rebel against Richard in October, can probably be explained by the fact that he was a retainer of Buckingham and a member of his council. I studied him once for fun, and came away with the idea that he may have remained mixed up about his loyalties right to the end, despite apparently fighting for Henry at Bosworth.

The thing with Clarence's lands is that - partly thanks to deliberate policy on the part of Edward IV - these had been hemmed in by the estates, or areas of influence, of magnates whom Edward trusted to keep him down: Hastings to the north and east (Edward actually deprived Clarence of the beating heart of his original patrimony, the lordship of Tutbury, and gave it to Hastings), Rivers at Ludlow to the west, and finally Dorset to the south. These people would have competed with Clarence for retainers and the loyalty of the gentry within their sphere of magnetism. Perhaps this is what was going on with Tocotes and the Twynyhos: i.e. being pulled across by Dorset? So a lot of Clarence's manors are inevitably in areas where there were other, hostile, influences.

But wasn't Bodrugan loyal to Richard?

Marie

2016-03-21 13:00:39
ricard1an
With regard to your final question, I think it must be a lot easier to accept More and indeed Shakespeare than to get involved in the excellent research that you and Marie are involved in. Richard's story is so much more complicated than More's version. I think they are taking the easy option.
Mary

2016-03-21 18:10:32
drajhtoo
Yes, I do mean rebels against Richard.
Again, I have to stress that this is a very preliminary impression, & revolved more around the names of counties where there was a lot of fussing with the Commissions of the Peace & where at least some of those former members were either attainted by Richard &/or returned with HT. I will try to find an example or two in the next day or so, although the effort that is taxing my brain these days is the published surviving records of the Order of the Garter during Richard's lifetime.
Briefly, there is only one account in the Order's annals, of a scrutiny held at Westminster during the first year of Richard's reign, from which several interesting things can be inferred. Two other records found by the industrious John Anstis, Garter King of Arms, show that St George's Feast, was indeed observed in both years of Richard's reign. BUT there's this "interesting" gap from the last election held under Edward IV (15 Sep 1482) until one on 16 Nov 1489.
And the registrar of the Order in 1489 (don't yet know if starting or ending) was Oliver King.
According to the Statutes of the Order, there should have been accounts during those years that would have given us some information about Edward's sons, who had both been installed as Knights-Companions. Instead we have praise for Edward V & HT & the usual vile stuff about Richard.
A J

2016-03-21 19:12:19
mariewalsh2003

Agree.

I've also been looking at the Garter records for Richard's reign, and they are suspiciously patchy. There are other missing accounts, but not on this scale.

Edward V's stall that he had held as PoW would have automatically been freed up when he became king, and he would have moved up to the Sovereign's stall, yes? And then when he was deposed that would have gone to Richard.

But it would be nice to know for sure whether the stall held by RDoY was granted away during Richard's reign, and if so what reason was given.

Marie

2016-03-21 21:32:37
Nance Crawford
Haven't seen/heard a better explanation, Mary. Nance C

2016-03-22 11:47:22
Hilary Jones
Hi Marie,
Bodrugan - yes he's not on my list which I took from the parliament roll (but he was on someone else's which shows how easily you can pick up bad information). He actually helped suppress the rebellion didn't he? He's interesting though because he was, to quote girders, a villain and crossed swords with Edward a few times. Yet as someone married to a Courtenay and a Herbert you'd have thought he'd have fallen naturally to the other side.
Couple of things. This is of course 1483; it will be interesting to see how many change sides before Bosworth. The weakening of Richard, given the death of his son, must have had some influence on people like MB. One interesting non-barking dog is Sir William Stanley. We know he adored Edward (he kept all his regalia). Wasn't he outraged?
Finally I think we can acknowledge we've been sold a story re Edward and Richard. Perhaps we should start to re-consider Clarence? There are two people around at the time who rated Clarence and they are people whose judgement you'd trust. One is Warwick, perhaps one of the most astute politicians of the time who was admired himself by Louis XI, and that takes some achieving. Would Warwick have married his daughter to an unstable buffoon? Would he have joined him in a rebellion with a view to putting him on the throne if he'd had no appeal to the population? And the population didn't buy puppet kings. Clarence and Richard had had unstable childhoods. They had grown up hearing their mother and Warwick decry the Woodville marriage. Richard eventually chose one course, Clarence another, but knowing what we now know of Edward did Clarence know the real Edward a bit better than Richard? The second person is Margaret, the truest Yorkist of them all. He was her favourite brother. She dedicated a book on chess to him. Would she really have liked and admired him that much if she'd believed he'd betrayed them without cause?
I reckon Edward was jealous of George. Charismatic people can brook no rivals, and the few glimpses we have of George show a charming, witty and probably handsome young man. From the earliest of times Edward was unkind in a sly way to him. He wouldn't let him choose his own bride, he wouldn't let him go to live in Burgundy. Warwick was charismatic - he too had to be goaded, side-lined and go. On the other hand Richard was the perfect foil who stayed in the right place in the shadows. Edward's dislike of his brother would be stroked by the Woodvilles. Knowing his fragility after Isabel's death it wouldn't be hard to set him up and as you say, if he was hemmed in by Edward's cronies to patrol him this must also have grated considerably. Time for another look I reckon.
Back to William Basket. H

To:
Sent: Monday, 21 March 2016, 10:54

Hi Hilary,
I agree with your analysis about old Lancastrrians. From what I've been able to see, there were two main groups: old Lancastrians and people who'd had jobs in Edward IV's household and either feared the new order or regarded Richard as a usurper. Others were probably retainers of bigger men who'd already joined. For instance, Sir W. Berkeley of Beverstone's about-turn from Ricardian hero during the protectorate, chasing Edward Woodville's fleet, to rebel against Richard in October, can probably be explained by the fact that he was a retainer of Buckingham and a member of his council. I studied him once for fun, and came away with the idea that he may have remained mixed up about his loyalties right to the end, despite apparently fighting for Henry at Bosworth.
The thing with Clarence's lands is that - partly thanks to deliberate policy on the part of Edward IV - these had been hemmed in by the estates, or areas of influence, of magnates whom Edward trusted to keep him down: Hastings to the north and east (Edward actually deprived Clarence of the beating heart of his original patrimony, the lordship of Tutbury, and gave it to Hastings), Rivers at Ludlow to the west, and finally Dorset to the south. These people would have competed with Clarence for retainers and the loyalty of the gentry within their sphere of magnetism. Perhaps this is what was going on with Tocotes and the Twynyhos: i.e. being pulled across by Dorset? So a lot of Clarence's manors are inevitably in areas where there were other, hostile, influences.
But wasn't Bodrugan loyal to Richard?
Marie

2016-03-22 15:52:48
drajhtoo
Apologies if this comes through as much the same as an earlier message I wrote. But Yahoo disappeared as I was finishing it, so I suspect it never went through.

I've taken the POV that in the absence of contemporary records we really don't know that Edward's sons didn't continue as members of the Order, or that Richard's son Edward wasn't installed as Prince (although I think it's slightly more likely that he was elected to the Order, but not installed before he died) . Edward V would have had to have been assigned to a different stall, since he was no longer Prince of Wales or Sovereign. All we really know is that the Prince's stall & that of Richard, Duke of York were not assigned again until 1491 and 1487, respectively.
So far, it looks as if there were only 3 ways out of the Order once Installed - death (which required the offering of their Achievements during the Requiem Mass for deceased members the day after St George's Feast), degradation (reserved for serious offences like taking up arms against the Sovereign, being convicted of treason, or attainted), and voluntary withdrawal. (Being a unique situation, perhaps some unique justification for their removal from the order was invented). All of the above should have been documented in the Accounts of the Order, during that gap in the records.

I can also envision a scenario where Henry's men (he himself observed the first two feasts of his reign in York and Coventry) entered St George's to find the Achievements of Edward's two sons still hanging, their excuses for non-attendance at the two feasts during Richard's reign (who also missed both) having been approved by the king). No wonder Henry was so twitchy - he didn't know what happened to the princes, but he had indirect evidence that they were still alive.
A J

2016-03-22 16:37:06
Hilary Jones
So are you getting at the fact that this is proof they were still alive?
Could it not just have been that with all the turmoil in the years 1483/85 no-one got round to dealing with the issue? After all, Edward of Lancaster was never elected to the Order although he was Prince of Wales. Richard's Edward almost certainly died before he could have been made a KG. It was, as you say, a unique and possibly fluid situation. To have done anything one would have had to subject them to degradation (not reasonable really) or pronounced them dead. Or invented a new category. With all the other distractions I personally doubt whether Richard would have put this at the top of his to do list. He certainly doesn't seem to have got round to creating any new knights after 1483 and I don't think Edward had created any since 1476 apart from foreign rulers but my info could be wrong? Surely, even if the records are now missing, families would have boasted about it in their personal pedigrees? H (who honestly isn't sure whether they were alive or not)

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 22 March 2016, 15:52

Apologies if this comes through as much the same as an earlier message I wrote. But Yahoo disappeared as I was finishing it, so I suspect it never went through.

I've taken the POV that in the absence of contemporary records we really don't know that Edward's sons didn't continue as members of the Order, or that Richard's son Edward wasn't installed as Prince (although I think it's slightly more likely that he was elected to the Order, but not installed before he died) . Edward V would have had to have been assigned to a different stall, since he was no longer Prince of Wales or Sovereign. All we really know is that the Prince's stall & that of Richard, Duke of York were not assigned again until 1491 and 1487, respectively.
So far, it looks as if there were only 3 ways out of the Order once Installed - death (which required the offering of their Achievements during the Requiem Mass for deceased members the day after St George's Feast), degradation (reserved for serious offences like taking up arms against the Sovereign, being convicted of treason, or attainted), and voluntary withdrawal. (Being a unique situation, perhaps some unique justification for their removal from the order was invented). All of the above should have been documented in the Accounts of the Order, during that gap in the records.

I can also envision a scenario where Henry's men (he himself observed the first two feasts of his reign in York and Coventry) entered St George's to find the Achievements of Edward's two sons still hanging, their excuses for non-attendance at the two feasts during Richard's reign (who also missed both) having been approved by the king). No wonder Henry was so twitchy - he didn't know what happened to the princes, but he had indirect evidence that they were still alive.
A J

2016-03-22 17:04:40
Hilary Jones
To fair Mary, Ross attempts to do this for some but every sign of support for the Woodville faction is seen as support against Richard and pro Edward. Similarly, he dismisses adherents to old Lancaster as reformed characters. How many of us have supported bosses we don't like and bided our time? And of course he links a lot of them to Clarence for the wrong reasons. Pity he thanks Hicks for the info. that says a lot H

To:
Sent: Monday, 21 March 2016, 13:00

With regard to your final question, I think it must be a lot easier to accept More and indeed Shakespeare than to get involved in the excellent research that you and Marie are involved in. Richard's story is so much more complicated than More's version. I think they are taking the easy option.
Mary

2016-03-22 17:38:00
drajhtoo
How did William Stanley come into possession of Edward V's regalia?
A J

2016-03-22 17:38:30
drajhtoo
I think it's a possibility that deserves examination.
In fact we have evidence that Richard did not neglect affairs of the Order of the Garter. There are two documents uncovered by John Anstis (Garter King of Arms who wrote his "history" in 1724) that show that both feasts were observed during Richard's reign (both in what is now known Harl ms 433, IIRC). In addition, Richard appointed a verger & alms-knights.
An account of a Scrutiny (nomination) held in the first year of his reign did make it into the Order's annals, from which it is possible to infer that there were at least 2 elections in his first year. The Statutes required elections within 6 weeks of the certain notice of the death of a Knight-Companion, & while it was possible for the Sovereign to put that off, I think it's more likely that there were at least nominations to fill the vacant stalls of Sir William Parr (died of old age), the Duke of Buckingham and the Marquis of Dorset (attainted in the January 1484 parliament). But with the gap in the records from 1482 - 1489, we're forced to rely on things like the Windsor Tables (also disappeared), that were used by earlier historians to try to reconstruct lists of holders of each stall (needless to say these lists are not completely consistent), and the remaining Stall Plates (I've read that some 700 survive of around 1000 & most of those that are missing are from the earlier centuries). Richard was at Windsor shortly before the Feast in 1485, making it look as if he planned to attend, but named a deputy at the last minute before returning to London for reasons unknown.

A J

2016-03-23 15:28:23
Doug Stamate
Hilary wrote: So are you getting at the fact that this is proof they were still alive? Could it not just have been that with all the turmoil in the years 1483/85 no-one got round to dealing with the issue? After all, Edward of Lancaster was never elected to the Order although he was Prince of Wales. Richard's Edward almost certainly died before he could have been made a KG. It was, as you say, a unique and possibly fluid situation. To have done anything one would have had to subject them to degradation (not reasonable really) or pronounced them dead. Or invented a new category. With all the other distractions I personally doubt whether Richard would have pu t this at the top of his to do list. He certainly doesn't seem to have got round to creating any new knights after 1483 and I don't think Edward had created any since 1476 apart from foreign rulers but my info could be wrong? Surely, even if the records are now missing, families would have boasted about it in their personal pedigrees? H (who honestly isn't sure whether they were alive or not) Doug here: Was there anyone whose job it was to maintain the stalls and keep everything up-to-date? If someone died, did it require some sort of special ceremony before the deceased's relics were removed? If the answers are yes and no, then it supports the survival of Edward's sons. A yes and a yes, would, it seems to me, also support their survival. Conversely, if the answers are no and yes or no and no, we're right back where we started... Doug who thinks he got the math (odds?) right

2016-03-23 16:27:58
drajhtoo
I can't answer your question. What I have found is that the Achievements were offered (to the College of St George's) as part of the Requiem Mass for the departed. If a Knight was degraded, Henry VIII's rewrite of the Statutes called for their Achievements to be "spurned" (kicked) out of the chapel through the grounds of the castle & into the moat.
It was different during Edward IV's day, when the Statutes were those most recently amended by Henry V. This extract from the annals of the Order show what was done. From this, it appears that Henry VI's "Ensigns" were not removed from the Chapel until the letters of Edward IV were presented in the Chapter on 17 May 1462. Further, it was decided by Edward that the "Appurtenances" of the Knights that were taken down for any cause should also be converted to the use & profit of the Hospital or College of St George's -- From The Register Of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, From its Cover in Black Velvet, usually called The Black Book; with Notes Placed at the Bottom of the Pages, and an Introduction Prefixed by the Editor. In Two Volumes. London, MDCCXXIV. [Although not identified in the book itself, it seems to be well known that the author was John Anstis the elder, Garter King of Arms from 1718.]
In this first Year of the most serene King Edward the Fourth, May 17 [1462], a Chapter was begun to be held at Wyndesor, in which the Viscount Bourcher having a proper and sufficient Commission given him by the Sovereign, presided as his Deputy, having the Lord Berners assembled with him. The Sovereign being continually taken up with the many great and various Affairs of the Kingdom was absent, having with him the Duke of Northfolk and Lord Fawcunbrydge paying their Duty to him.

There were heard the Letters which the Sovereign had then sent to his Deputy and the rest of the Knights, in which they were required to take the Ensigns of the late King out of the Choir, and hang up those of the King now reigning: Which they who were present readily took Care to have done. For the King's Herald by Order of the Nobles taking away those of the former Sovereign, carried them into the Vestry, and hung up the new Ones of our now most dread King in their Stead. By Authority of the same Letters, also the Ensigns of the Earl of Wylschyre and Lord Wells were taken down and carried out of the Choir.

In the Mass the next Day for the Dead, the Swords and Helmets with the Appurtenances of the Knights who were now dead, viz of the Dukes of York and Buckyngham, of the Earls of Salisbury and Shrewsbury, Viscount Beaumond and Lord Scales were offered, according to ancient Usage, and because there no more present, the Deputy himself with his Collegue performed the whole Office.

Moreover it was there also by Authority of the Sovereign enacted by the Knights, That the Swords and Helmets with the Appurtenances that were taken down for any Cause whatsoever, and carried out of the Choir, should be converted to the Use and Profit of the Hospital or College of St George in the same Manner, as the Ensigns of the deceased Companions, which were offered by the Survivors on the Day after the Feasts, though some of them opposed this Determination, and desired the contrary. [the author or editor's translation of the original Latin]

To come at your question another way, as far as I can tell, there are 4 possibilities.

1. The Order had certain knowledge of the deaths of Edward IV's sons. In which case they would have been included in the Requiem mass said the day after the observation of St George's feast, and their Achievements would have been offered on the altar as part of that mass. There were also specific rules about how many masses should be said for each deceased knight according to his rank. By the Statutes, this would have been recorded in the Order's annals. I cannot imagine such information not being used against Richard if it had been found by HT's agents.

2. The boys were degraded (although on what grounds is questionable). This too, along with the offering of their Achievements, should have been recorded in the accounts (now lost) of the Chapters held during Richard's reign. This would not have settled the question of whether they were alive or dead when HT came to power, but would suggest that they had been alive at the time of any such chapter.

3. The boys were persuaded to voluntarily surrender their status as Knights-Companions. The rest as for No. 2.

4. The boys were still members of the Order at the time of Richard's death, and their Achievements were still in place at St George's. Maybe one or both attended one of the Feasts of St George (unlikely I grant, but in the absence of records, no one can say otherwise). More likely they would have simply been excused from attendance by the king's letters. This scenario would have provided evidence that they were still alive.

A J

2016-03-24 08:05:05
drajhtoo
A little more information in response to Doug's question, which shows that there was someone designated to remove the achievements of the Knights-Companions, but it appears he only acted on the order of the Sovereign.
Ashmole wrote in his Institution, Laws and Ceremonies Of the most Noble Order of the Garter (1672)

Chap. XI.

Sect. VI.

The Removal of Atchievements and Plates.

Besides these particulars before mentioned, there is a Warrant or Scheme prepared for the Soveraign to sign, wherein the order of the Stalls in the Choire at Windesore is set down, according as he appoints them to stand at the ensuing Installation; by virtue of which, Garter is impowered to removed the Plates and Atchievements of the present Knights-Companions, that so way be made for the Elect Knight, or Knights, and to fix the new Plates and Atchievements within and over the Stalls, in such order as they are ranked in the said Scheme.

In reference to this alteration, Garter (so soon as the Soveraign's pleasure is known touching an Installation) brings to the Chancellor of the Order, the Names of the present Knights-Companions, ranked in the order they then sit in, their Stalls (in which the Stalls void are to be so noted) to the end he may present them to the Soveraign; who, upon observing the series wherein they be already placed, may the better consider and determine how to alter and seat both them, and the new Elect Knights.

A J

2016-03-25 16:41:26
Doug Stamate
AJ wrote: //snip// An account of a Scrutiny (nomination) held in the first year of his reign did make it into the Order's annals, from which it is possible to infer that there were at least 2 elections in his first year. The Statutes required elections within 6 weeks of the certain notice of the death of a Knight-Companion, & while it was possible for the Sovereign to put that off, I think it's more likely that there were at least nominations to fill the vacant stalls of Sir William Parr (died of old age), the Duke of Buckingham and the Marquis of Dorset (attainted in the January 1484 parliament). But with the gap in the records from 1482 - 1489, we're forced to rely on things like the Windsor Tables (also disappeared), that were used by earlier historians to try to reconstruct lists of holders of each stall (needless to say these lists are not completely consistent), and the remaining Stall Plates (I've read that some 700 survive of around 1000 & most of those that are missing are from the earlier centuries). Richard was at Windsor shortly before the Feast in 1485, making it look as if he planned to attend, but named a deputy at the last minute before returning to London for reasons unknown. Doug here: Regarding your last sentence: Richard was at Windsor shortly before the Feast in 1485, making it look as if he planned to attend, but named a deputy at the last minute before returning to London for reasons unknown. Reasons unknown; could there be any rites associated with his recently deceased (16 March) wife that would be held a month after her death, some rite no longer, or not usually anyway, done nowadays? I also wondered about the initiation of negotiations concerning a marriage between Richard and Joanna of Portugal or some information concerning Tudor/France, but then if either was the reason, why couldn't those involved come to Richard and not the other way round? According to Wiki, Richard addressed the Lords at the Hospital of St. John on 30 March, could there have been another meeting during April? I couldn't find mention of any, but that's nothing to go by!
Doug

2016-03-25 19:33:36
mariewalsh2003
Hi I think we discussed this one before and treason trials in London seemed to be the reason.

2016-03-26 10:33:39
Hilary Jones
Sorry to divert for a moment from the interesting discussion on the Garter.
I've just been reading Ross in more detail on the above topic. I should have done this before I suppose but he and I do agree on most of the familial relationships (pat myself on the back :) ). However in his determination to incriminate Richard he makes some interesting statements. One is that Richard had gone out of his way to be generous to some of these because of their service to Edward. Secondly, some things are dismissed because Thomas More finds them politically implausible? How on earth could More have known what was politically implausible at a time when he was a baby?Ross also never really tackles the issue of Woodville support as opposed to Edward support and that could be key to some of this - and to other things as well. It was interesting to find that Thomas St Leger's grandmother was Jeanne de Luxembourg. Must track a relationship with Jacquetta.
He concludes we will never know why Buckingham rebelled because More says we won't and that it was probably engineered by Morton and MB. But where are Buckingham's own supporters? As we've said there was a lot of old Lancaster out there in his area who didn't follow him, let alone his own close kin. But he was married to a Woodville. Did EW put him up to it? We always have Morton and MB acting together but had they reached this close stage yet? Morton was old Lancaster, no doubt he was used to striking deals on his own. The plot doesn't have enough MB intelligent input for me.
Finally someone has to tackle More, because we won't win this battle until they do. I do hope Thomas Penn does so, after all he's the one who told us More and HT didn't get on to put it mildly. So why on earth would More have written something glorifying HT after the latter's death with the view of publishing it in the early days of the reign of his son who also never got on with him and who wouldn't like that being raked up again? It would be like giving Prince William a book on the Abdication. We know More was one of the vain academics who wanted to write like Tacitus. Tacitus is a difficult historian to study for classical scholars because he projects his own views into the characters of the people he's writing about. He embellishes them to make a point and to contrast them. Sound familiar? So Tiberius is marvellous, generous, kind, popular whilst Nero is the devil incarnate with all sorts of dreadful traits. Sound familiar again? If you were the academic More wanting to do an exercise to prove you could write like Tacitus then Richard and Edward are good subjects, probably because Morton has babbled on about them in your youth and, with the disappearance of the princes you've got quite a bit of scope. If More hadn't achieved his martyrdom he probably wouldn't get half the credence he does. H

To:
Sent: Friday, 25 March 2016, 19:33

Hi I think we discussed this one before and treason trials in London seemed to be the reason.

2016-03-26 12:37:48
Paul Trevor Bale
Excellent post Hilary. I am with you on Ross and More. Both have their own agendas, including do not forget, Ross's love affair with Edward, so a bias against Richard was always going to happen. But his lack of research, and anti Richard - pro More bias, is amazing when he is such a highly thought of, by himself as well as his followers, historian and academic. He might as well have quoted Shakespeare as a source who some actually still do to this day! It is strange how the Bard is so often confused between being a dramatist and an historian. an historian who is supposed to know what he was writing about, when the facts he used for Macbeth and Henry V are completely fictional, as are the vast majority of what he says about Richard. [Macbeth did not murder Duncan who was killed in battle, was very popular and reigned well and justly for over 20 years, and had three sons, Henry V was not a hero, but pretty nasty, and a bit of a tyrant in the making, who was just lucky to win an against the odds victory over the French.] But when historians use Will and More as sources is irresponsible to put it mildly.But then would people's perception of More be different were it not for not only the martyrdom but also that marvellous drama by Robert Bolt that told as much truth as Shakespeare did about his leading subjects?As for Buckingham, I still believe he was after the big job for himself but was such an incompetent planner when left to his own devices all fell rapidly apart. He may even have disposed of the sons of Edward IV thinking this would turn people against Richard. He underestimated Richard, as Richard underestimated Buckingham's fragility and friendship. This incompetence and ambition were things Edward recognised, hence Edward's failure to give him any kind of position in his government, which in the long term worked against his settlement by making his resentment grow as time wore on.Paul

On 26 Mar 2016, at 10:31, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

I've just been reading Ross in more detail on the above topic. I should have done this before I suppose but he and I do agree on most of the familial relationships (pat myself on the back :) ). However in his determination to incriminate Richard he makes some interesting statements. One is that Richard had gone out of his way to be generous to some of these because of their service to Edward. Secondly, some things are dismissed because Thomas More finds them politically implausible? How on earth could More have known what was politically implausible at a time when he was a baby?Ross also never really tackles the issue of Woodville support as opposed to Edward support and that could be key to some of this - and to other things as well. It was interesting to find that Thomas St Leger's grandmother was Jeanne de Luxembourg. Must track a relationship with Jacquetta.
He concludes we will never know why Buckingham rebelled because More says we won't and that it was probably engineered by Morton and MB. But where are Buckingham's own supporters? As we've said there was a lot of old Lancaster out there in his area who didn't follow him, let alone his own close kin. But he was married to a Woodville. Did EW put him up to it? We always have Morton and MB acting together but had they reached this close stage yet? Morton was old Lancaster, no doubt he was used to striking deals on his own. The plot doesn't have enough MB intelligent input for me.
Finally someone has to tackle More, because we won't win this battle until they do. I do hope Thomas Penn does so, after all he's the one who told us More and HT didn't get on to put it mildly. So why on earth would More have written something glorifying HT after the latter's death with the view of publishing it in the early days of the reign of his son who also never got on with him and who wouldn't like that being raked up again? It would be like giving Prince William a book on the Abdication. We know More was one of the vain academics who wanted to write like Tacitus. Tacitus is a difficult historian to study for classical scholars because he projects his own views into the characters of the people he's writing about. He embellishes them to ma ke a point and to contrast them. Sound familiar? So Tiberius is marvellous, generous, kind, popular whilst Nero is the devil incarnate with all sorts of dreadful traits. Sound familiar again? If you were the academic More wanting to do an exercise to prove you could write like Tacitus then Richard and Edward are good subjects, probably because Morton has babbled on about them in your youth and, with the disappearance of the princes you've got quite a bit of scope. If More hadn't achieved his martyrdom he probably wouldn't get half the credence he does. H

To:

2016-03-27 10:15:55
Hilary Jones
Thanks a million Paul! Yes, More is Paul Schofield isn't he? Kind, understanding, generous - few ever point out that he used to keep priests imprisoned in his basement and was happy to condone their torture and executionI'm with you too on Buckingham, both as uncontrollable psychopath (hard not to think he was, looks as though even MB couldn't reign him in) and prime candidate for the disposal of the princes.Happy Easter! H

To:
Sent: Saturday, 26 March 2016, 12:37

Excellent post Hilary. I am with you on Ross and More. Both have their own agendas, including do not forget, Ross's love affair with Edward, so a bias against Richard was always going to happen. But his lack of research, and anti Richard - pro More bias, is amazing when he is such a highly thought of, by himself as well as his followers, historian and academic. He might as well have quoted Shakespeare as a source who some actually still do to this day! It is strange how the Bard is so often confused between being a dramatist and an historian. an historian who is supposed to know what he was writing about, when the facts he used for Macbeth and Henry V are completely fictional, as are the vast majority of what he says about Richard. [Macbeth did not murder Duncan who was killed in battle, was very popular and reigned well and justly for over 20 years, and had three sons, Henry V was not a hero, but pretty nasty, and a bit of a tyrant in the making, who was just lucky to win an against the odds victory over the French.] But when historians use Will and More as sources is irresponsible to put it mildly.But then would people's perception of More be different were it not for not only the martyrdom but also that marvellous drama by Robert Bolt that told as much truth as Shakespeare did about his leading subjects?As for Buckingham, I still believe he was after the big job for himself but was such an incompetent planner when left to his own devices all fell rapidly apart. He may even have disposed of the sons of Edward IV thinking this would turn people against Richard. He underestimated Richard, as Richard underestimated Buckingham's fragility and friendship. This incompetence and ambition were things Edward recognised, hence Edward's failure to give him any kind of position in his government, which in the long term worked against his settlement by making his resentment grow as time wore on.Paul

On 26 Mar 2016, at 10:31, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

Finally someone has to tackle More, because we won't win this battle until they do. I do hope Thomas Penn does so, after all he's the one who told us More and HT didn't get on to put it mildly. So why on earth would More have written something glorifying HT after the latter's death with the view of publishing it in the early days of the reign of his son who also never got on with him and who wouldn't like that being raked up again? It would be like giving Prince William a book on the Abdication. We know More was one of the vain academics who wanted to write like Tacitus. Tacitus is a difficult historian to study for classical scholars because he projects his own views into the characters of the people he's writing about. He embellishes them to ma ke a point and to contrast them. Sound familiar? So Tiberius is marvellous, generous, kind, popular whilst Nero is the devil incarnate with all sorts of dreadful traits. Sound familiar again? If you were the academic More wanting to do an exercise to prove you could write like Tacitus then Richard and Edward are good subjects, probably because Morton has babbled on about them in your youth and, with the disappearance of the princes you've got quite a bit of scope. If More hadn't achieved his martyrdom he probably wouldn't get half the credence he does. H

To:

2016-04-02 20:00:48
justcarol67
Mary wrote:

"I think it must be a lot easier to accept More and indeed Shakespeare than to get involved in the excellent research that you and Marie are involved in. Richard's story is so much more complicated than More's version. I think they are taking the easy option."

Carol responds:

Not to mention the widespread reluctance to question the truthfulness of "Saint" Thomas More.

Carol

2016-04-02 20:59:01
justcarol67
Hilary wrote:

"Finally someone has to tackle More, because we won't win this battle until they do. I do hope Thomas Penn does so, after all he's the one who told us More and HT didn't get on to put it mildly. . . . If More hadn't achieved his martyrdom he probably wouldn't get half the credence he does."

Carol responds:

More made his dislike of HT clear in his own lifetime with his hopeful coronation ode dedicated to the new king Henry VIII. Here's a translation (from Latin) of the first verse:

If ever there was a day, England, if ever there was
a time for you to give thanks to those above,
this is that happy day, one to be marked with a pure
white stone and put in your calendar.
This day is the [end] of our slavery, the beginning of
our freedom, the end of sadness, the source of joy,
for this day consecrates a young man who is the everlast-
ing glory of our time and makes him your king-
a king who is worthy not merely to govern a single
people but singly to rule the whole world-
such a king as will wipe the tears from every eye
and put joy in the place of our long distress.
Every heart smiles to see its cares dispelled, as the day
Shines bright when clouds are scattered.
Now the people, freed, run before their king with bright
faces. Their joy is almost beyond their own
comprehension."

24 June 1509 - Coronation of King Henry VIII and Queen Catherine - The Anne Boleyn Files http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/24-june-1509-coronation-of-king-henry-viii-and-queen-catherine/

Needless to say, Henry VIII didn't live up to this glorious prediction, but I'm interested in the parts about the old tyrant Henry VII. "The end of our slavery," "the end of sadness," "our long distress," etc.

So, yes, Hilary. Why would More write a book that celebrates the victory of the future tyrant over Richard III (who plays the role of tyrant in that book)? No wonder he broke off where he did, but why write it in the first place? It certainly wasn't intended as history in our modern sense of the word.

I agree emphatically with your last sentence. If only he'd supported the new tyrant's takeover of the English church rather than being martyred by him! (By the way, More and the pre-Boleyn Henry VIII viciously attacked Martin Luther together. I believe More even wrote a scene featuring Luther on the privy. Sound familiar?

Carol

2016-04-02 21:44:03
justcarol67
Paul wrote:

"[Buckingham's] incompetence and ambition were things Edward recognised, hence Edward's failure to give him any kind of position in his government, which in the long term worked against his settlement by making his resentment grow as time wore on."

Carol responds:

I don't know about incompetence, but he certainly would have recognized his ambition. Buckingham (and his son after him) was proud of his Plantagenet descent.

But I wonder what role Buckingham's upbringing had in his loyalties (if he had any). He was a ward of Elizabeth Woodville from the time he was about five (except for a stint with his grandmother, who if I recall correctly, was Richard's maternal aunt and a Lancastrian sympathizer, during Henry VI's readeption). He was of course married at age eleven to EW's sister Catherine (also a child despite being misrepresented as an adult in some novels). Did he love Catherine or hate her? They were brought up together and later had five children. And how did he feel about EW and her sons, Richard and Thomas Grey (later the Marquis of Dorset), who were about his own age? If he hated and resented them all, that would be reason enough to side with Richard. But if he didn't . . . .

I also wonder whether he met Henry Tudor during the readeption given that his uncle was married to Tudor's mother. They were only a year and a few months apart if September 1455 (not 1454) is the correct birth date for Buckingham.

At any rate, I think Edward would have known him well and sized him up correctly. But we can be sure that Buckingham resented Edward's refusal to give him any position of responsibility. I wonder if he relished his one appointment, even if it was temporary and largely ceremonial as the chief officiator at George of Clarence's trial.

By the way, even though I despise Buckingham, I hate that nineteenth-century "portrait" that shows up in connection with every article on him. His uglification is probably part of the anti-Richard propaganda, smearing anyone associated with him. "Portraits" of Richard from the same period show him as a skinny old man.

Carol

2016-04-02 22:08:38
justcarol67

AJ wrote :

"A little more information in response to Doug's question, which shows that there was someone designated to remove the achievements of the Knights-Companions, but it appears he only acted on the order of the Sovereign."

Carol responds:

Would "Garter" be Garter-King-at-Arms? That would (I think) be John Writhe, appointed in 1478 by Edward IV and serving under Richard III at his coronation and when Richard instated the College of Arms. I read somewhere (Wikipedia) that he resigned for unknown reasons in January 1485 but was reinstated by Henry VII with backpay to August 22. That sounds suspicious to me. Could he have pulled a Rous and altered or destroyed his own records to hide a previous loyalty to Richard?

My apologies for four posts in a row. I'm catching up after a short absence, but also I suspect that those of you in Britain are sleeping at the moment!

Carol

2016-04-04 09:28:31
Hilary Jones
Hi Carol, yes Writhe would be the man! He's interesting because it's believed his father was MP for Cricklade which is in Wiltshire, a hotbed of anti-Richard hostility - see my next post. He certainly married someone from there and his daughter married a Hungerford. Say no more! So who knows what he could have been up to? H

To:
Sent: Saturday, 2 April 2016, 22:08

AJ wrote :

"A little more information in response to Doug's question, which shows that there was someone designated to remove the achievements of the Knights-Companions, but it appears he only acted on the order of the Sovereign."

Carol responds:

Would "Garter" be Garter-King-at-Arms? That would (I think) be John Writhe, appointed in 1478 by Edward IV and serving under Richard III at his coronation and when Richard instated the College of Arms. I read somewhere (Wikipedia) that he resigned for unknown reasons in January 1485 but was reinstated by Henry VII with backpay to August 22. That sounds suspicious to me. Could he have pulled a Rous and altered or destroyed his own records to hide a previous loyalty to Richard?

My apologies for four posts in a row. I'm catching up after a short absence, but also I suspect that those of you in Britain are sleeping at the moment!

Carol

2016-04-04 10:02:18
Hilary Jones
Just to give you an update. Though I'm still chasing some 1483 scoundrels I also decided to track them against Bosworth participants (we know we don't have a comprehensive list but I have enough and some I've found which are not on the normal lists) and also against the 'reigning' High Sheriffs at the time of Bosworth.
The news so far is:
Of those attainted in 1483 by far the majority have familial attachments to three families - Courtenay, Hungerford and De Vere. There is no sign of tears over little boys but a lot of tears over land. These are three powerful old families who pre-date the Plantagenets. Their ancestors were Magna Carta barons. This could also be as much about power as land; pulling the monarch back into line. By using Richard as his henchman Edward had damaged him as well. He stood little chance with them unless he gave them a total pardon. Richard had condemned Courtenay and Hungerford in 1469 and presided over their grisly death. He'd been the 'judge' at Tewkesbury and some of our folk have relatives who died there. I think we have under-estimated De Vere and over-estimated MB.
Haute and Fogge could be something to do with a Woodville involvement, as both have Kent connections. They are not the norm and I have yet to look at the Woodvilles.
Looking at the Bosworth list there are no astounding conversions to HT - I've only found one to date and they reckon he was bribed in Calais. More old Lancaster De Vere supporters have come out of the woodwork but they were ever Lancaster - they just didn't put their head above the parapet before. And of course we have Henry's Welshmen, mercenaries etc. In other words England seems to have been invaded by the grudge brigade and they struck lucky.
I will upload my lists when they are complete and you can comment/amend.
Re Buckingham, I called him a psychopath; I should have said sociopath. He has all the traits - he hones in on a fragile and threatened Richard, he gradually isolates him from his normal friends by unjustly intimating that Richard values him most (could explain Hastings) and then turns on him to try to control him - without success. Richard was probably glad to leave him behind in London. And he has all the delusions of grandeur to believe he can raise a rebellion and become king. What is pretty evident from my stuff is that few if any of his family and retainers rose to support him. They must have know the real him. H
To:
Sent: Saturday, 2 April 2016, 20:00

Mary wrote:

"I think it must be a lot easier to accept More and indeed Shakespeare than to get involved in the excellent research that you and Marie are involved in. Richard's story is so much more complicated than More's version. I think they are taking the easy option."

Carol responds:

Not to mention the widespread reluctance to question the truthfulness of "Saint" Thomas More.

Carol

2016-04-04 19:28:06
drajhtoo
From what I've read so far, there was a man called the Register one of whose duties was to keep various records, including the Chapters (meetings of the Sovereign & the Knights-Companions); in his absence there were several other positions within the College of St George's who were designated to write the accounts.
It may be that Writhe did keep his own records, since other heralds do seem to have done so. But Garter's chief function seems to have been to participate in the various ceremonies.
Here's an example from Anstis's Register, where he provided both the account from the Black Book and another relating to the same chapter, apparently kept, at least in part, by a herald.
(1) the account of the Chapter held at WIndsor to observe the feast of St George, in Edward IV's 12th year as recorded in the Black Book [presumably by the Register]

186 Acta sub Anno duodecimo Edoardi Quarti

[translation from Latin]

In the twelfth Year of the most serene King Edward the Fourth, the twenty third of April, a Chapter was held at Wyndesor, where the Sovereign had with him his Brother Richard

The Duke of Glocester, Lord Bareners,

Earl of Essex, Lord Duras.

Earl of Douglas,

The Duke of Clarence, Earl of Arundell, Earl of Essex, Earl Douglas, Lord Hastyngs, Lord Scrhopp, Lord Sudeley, Lord Beauchamp, Lord Dudeley } were excused for probable Reasons allowed by the King and Knights, some of which Reasons carried with them even the Kings Orders.

Sir John Ascheley by his Letters which he sent by Garter, alledged a sufficient Excuse, but at the End of the Feast, because the number there, was too

little to serve for an election, the King sent for him to supply [that Defect] and yet the Election did not come on immediately as far as we have any Account.

(2) An additional account discovered by Anstis, written, at least in part, by Bluemantle Pursuivant,

i After the Narrative of holding Christmas in 1471. The Words then are,  In the foresaid yere the King our Sovereign Lord kept his fest of St Jorge at his Castell of Wyndsor and kept his Estate in the foresaid Castell, the Bushope of Winchester sat on the ryght hande and the right noble Duke of Glocester and the Earle of Essex on the left hand, There were present Therl of Dougles, the lord Barnes, the lord Dures, and on the morne after the feast come to the Chapter of the Order of the Garter into the Chapter howse come The King, The Duke of Glocester Therle of Essex the Lord Barnes Lieutenant of the Order Therle of Doglas, The Lord Doglas [Duras] and Sir John Asteley, The which Sir John Asteley was sent for to London by Calis Pursuyvant to come to furnish the Chapter in the which chapter were chosen to bretherene of the said Order

My Lord the Prynce }

The K. of P. }

The Duke of Norfolk }

Therle of Wylshere }

The L. Feres }

The Lord Montjoye & }

The Lord Haywarde } VII elected at the Chapter.

and this day thay had a masse of requiem, and at the tyme of offertory the King offered and the Knyghts of the Gartier there being present, when he had offered there one offeringe, The Duke of Gloster and the lord Barnes offered the Sword, bering the Pomel forwarde of the goode of the right feyfull and noble Lord Therle of Wystcester, Therle of Essex and therl Douglas his helme, The Lord Duras and Sir John Asteley the sword of therle of Pembroke, the Duke of Gloscester and the lord Bernes his helme. Therle of Essex and therle of Duglas the sword of therle of Ryvers, The Lord Duras and Sir John Asteley his helme. Also the Duke of Glocester and the Lord Barnes offered the sword of Sir Rob. Harcorte, Therl of Essex therle of Duglees his helm.

This Narrative was wrote by k Bleumantle-Pursuivant, whose Duty it was to attend this Feast; but Mr Ashmole discredits it as an inadvertent Relation which casts in false Lights, because (as he saith) this Feast is placed there in the 11th, which ought to have been in the 12th of Ed. IV. as it would appear by collating some of the Facts here named with those entred in the Black-Book; and he disbelieves the Time of some of these Elections, because as he saith, the Prince of Wales was not elected till the 15th, and the King of Portugal was not elected till the 22d of Edward IV.

A J

2016-04-05 13:17:59
hjnatdat
Just one further thought about the Woodvilles. They have always puzzled me because although they 'crossed the House' when Elizabeth married Edward their lack of acceptance by established Yorkists make them float somewhere in the middle. They had far more old Lancaster links than Yorkist ones and really their only, though very significant ties, were with Edward and his children.Suppose in summer 1483 someone had convinced EW that the pre-contract had indeed taken place and that there was no way Parliament, or more importantly the Church, would accept the restoration of her boys, even if they got rid of Richard. Her sons would cease to have political value to her. Her chance of restoring her family's fortunes would lie with her relations, both close, and more distant - (and of course eventually a strategic marriage of one of her daughters which I doubt had been proposed at this point).Buckingham was married to her sister. He was egotistical and probably convincing enough to persuade her that he could secure the throne and restore the family fortune. This would have been as appealing to the wider family, such as the Hautes, as it would to her and she could secure their backing. It would explain their participation.(He could also of course venture to look after the boys for her!)Do you reckon this is a viable scenario? H

2016-04-05 16:32:43
Doug Stamate
Hilary wrote: Just one further thought about the Woodvilles. They have always puzzled me because although they 'crossed the House' when Elizabeth married Edward their lack of acceptance by established Yorkists make them float somewhere in the middle. They had far more old Lancaster links than Yorkist ones and really their only, though very significant ties, were with Edward and his children. Doug here: Well, if one adds the Woodvilles to the Lancastrians and then also adds in the Edwardian Yorkists (supporters of E5, not E4, such as Sir WIlliam Stanley) along with any other discontented Yorkists (Northumberland?), I'd think one just might be on the way to producing a group strong enough to take on Richard. FWIW, I tend to think that EW's contacts with MB regarding a marriage between EoY and HT were made to ensure Lancastrian support, represented by HT, for an effort to return E5 to the throne. Thus, the Lancastrians would be represented by having their claimant married to the sister of the King, Edwardians would have E5 back and those Yorkists willing to settle for *any* Yorkist as king would also be satisfied. Hilary continued: Suppose in summer 1483 someone had convinced EW that the pre-contract had indeed taken place and that there was no way Parliament, or more importantly the Church, would accept the restoration of her boys, even if they got rid of Richard. Her sons would cease to have political value to her. Her chance of restoring her family's fortunes would lie with her relations, both close, and more distant - (and of course eventually a strategic marriage of one of her daughters which I doubt had been proposed at this point). Buckingham was married to her sister. He was egotistical and probably convincing enough to persuade her that he could secure the throne and restore the family fortune. This would have been as appealing to the wider family, such as the Hautes, as it would to her and she could secure their backing. It would explain their participation. (He could also of course venture to look after the boys for her!) Do you reckon this is a viable scenario? Doug here: To me the above scenario looks very much like a revival of the WotR and I can't think of anything that would rally Yorkists, Edwardians included, to Richard's support than his being able to claim, with a fair amount of accuracy, that was what was happening. However, *if* the ostensible aim of the rebellion was to restore E5, then it becomes something else. I seriously doubt Sir William Stanley was the only Yorkist who still considered E5 to be legitimate (else why say he wouldn't fight against Warbeck if Warbeck *was* E4's son? Or is that just hearsay?). Much depends, of course, on just how widespread knowledge about *why* E5 had been replaced by his uncle, which leads again to the necessity of the rebellion occurring as soon as possible and with as wide an attraction as possible, as well. I just don't see a rebellion overtly aimed at placing Buckingham on the throne as being able to garner enough support. Maybe it's me? If Buckingham were to become king, the Woodvilles would only have a Queen to look out for their interests (would *you* trust Buckingham' promises?); if, however, E5 was restored, they'd have the King, the presumptive heir and a Queen Dowager. Plus the Lancastrians via HT and MB. E5 and his brother weren't just the Woodvilles' greatest asset; they represented the best chance for *anyone* in overthrowing Richard before he'd had a chance to settle into his new position as king. Buckingham alone would, IMO, be too naked a grab for power and I tend to think he realized it; however, if a rescue of E5 and his brother was the declared aim, one could unite Woodvilles, Lancastrians, and any disgruntled (for whatever reason/s) Yorkists and stand a fair chance of success. Now, what happens to E5 and his brother after Richard was disposed of is another question... I'd have to conclude that, while the scenario is certainly viable, on the whole there might be too much emphasis on various families' Lancastrianism(?) as an explanation of their actions, when they really didn't have to make a choice between Lancaster or York  they already *had* such a person in E5; E5's qualifications, crowned king, son of E4 (York) and EW (Lancaster) were better than anything Buckingham could produce. Well, as long as one presumes the boys *were* legitimate, that is. Doug who certainly agrees that EW's Lancastrian network was of great importance during Buckingham's Rebellion, but that the network's involvement was to return E5 to the throne as the closest thing to a legitimate Lancastrian there was.

2016-04-05 17:09:34
Hilary Jones
This is my dilemma Doug. I would say 80% of those involved in Buckingham's rebellion had been damaged by Edward - why on earth would they want his son (a minor) or Richard, on the throne? This was their big chance to 'have a say' if they made enough fuss and succeeded - just like the Magna Carta barons. In fact perhaps they didn't think it would fail so dismally, after all Warwick had taken Edward captive? The English way, when you have a king captive or in a corner, is to negotiate, and to perhaps buy the odd pardon. He has to fall over a few times like John, Edward II, Richard II, poor Henry VI and later Charles I before you actually remove him. And in medieval terms Richard was a better long-term (and legitimate) option than Edward V. EW as we've said, was more the celebrity than the politician, if Buckingham seduced Richard he could certainly seduce her. Good debate though! H

To:
Sent: Tuesday, 5 April 2016, 16:25

Hilary wrote: Just one further thought about the Woodvilles. They have always puzzled me because although they 'crossed the House' when Elizabeth married Edward their lack of acceptance by established Yorkists make them float somewhere in the middle. They had far more old Lancaster links than Yorkist ones and really their only, though very significant ties, were with Edward and his children. Doug here: Well, if one adds the Woodvilles to the Lancastrians and then also adds in the Edwardian Yorkists (supporters of E5, not E4, such as Sir WIlliam Stanley) along with any other discontented Yorkists (Northumberland?), I'd think one just might be on the way to producing a group strong enough to take on Richard. FWIW, I tend to think that EW's contacts with MB regarding a marriage between EoY and HT were made to ensure Lancastrian support, represented by HT, for an effort to return E5 to the throne. Thus, the Lancastrians would be represented by having their claimant married to the sister of the King, Edwardians would have E5 back and those Yorkists willing to settle for *any* Yorkist as king would also be satisfied. Hilary continued: Suppose in summer 1483 someone had convinced EW that the pre-contract had indeed taken place and that there was no way Parliament, or more importantly the Church, would accept the restoration of her boys, even if they got rid of Richard. Her sons would cease to have political value to her. Her chance of restoring her family's fortunes would lie with her relations, both close, and more distant - (and of course eventually a strategic marriage of one of her daughters which I doubt had been proposed at this point). Buckingham was married to her sister. He was egotistical and probably convincing enough to persuade her that he could secure the throne and restore the family fortune. This would have been as appealing to the wider family, such as the Hautes, as it would to her and she could secure their backing. It would explain their participation. (He could also of course venture to look after the boys for her!) Do you reckon this is a viable scenario? Doug here: To me the above scenario looks very much like a revival of the WotR and I can't think of anything that would rally Yorkists, Edwardians included, to Richard's support than his being able to claim, with a fair amount of accuracy, that was what was happening. However, *if* the ostensible aim of the rebellion was to restore E5, then it becomes something else. I seriously doubt Sir William Stanley was the only Yorkist who still considered E5 to be legitimate (else why say he wouldn't fight against Warbeck if Warbeck *was* E4's son? Or is that just hearsay?). Much depends, of course, on just how widespread knowledge about *why* E5 had been replaced by his uncle, which leads again to the necessity of the rebellion occurring as soon as possible and with as wide an attraction as possible, as well. I just don't see a rebellion overtly aimed at placing Buckingham on the throne as being able to garner enough support. Maybe it's me? If Buckingham were to become king, the Woodvilles would only have a Queen to look out for their interests (would *you* trust Buckingham' promises?); if, however, E5 was restored, they'd have the King, the presumptive heir and a Queen Dowager. Plus the Lancastrians via HT and MB. E5 and his brother weren't just the Woodvilles' greatest asset; they represented the best chance for *anyone* in overthrowing Richard before he'd had a chance to settle into his new position as king. Buckingham alone would, IMO, be too naked a grab for power and I tend to think he realized it; however, if a rescue of E5 and his brother was the declared aim, one could unite Woodvilles, Lancastrians, and any disgruntled (for whatever reason/s) Yorkists and stand a fair chance of success. Now, what happens to E5 and his brother after Richard was disposed of is another question... I'd have to conclude that, while the scenario is certainly viable, on the whole there might be too much emphasis on various families' Lancastrianism(?) as an explanation of their actions, when they really didn't have to make a choice between Lancaster or York  they already *had* such a person in E5; E5's qualifications, crowned king, son of E4 (York) and EW (Lancaster) were better than anything Buckingham could produce. Well, as long as one presumes the boys *were* legitimate, that is. Doug who certainly agrees that EW's Lancastrian network was of great importance during Buckingham's Rebellion, but that the network's involvement was to return E5 to the throne as the closest thing to a legitimate Lancastrian there was.

2016-04-06 19:43:20
Doug Stamate
Hilary wrote: This is my dilemma Doug. I would say 80% of those involved in Buckingham's rebellion had been damaged by Edward - why on earth would they want his son (a minor) or Richard, on the throne? This was their big chance to 'have a say' if they made enough fuss and succeeded - just like the Magna Carta barons. In fact perhaps they didn't think it would fail so dismally, after all Warwick had taken Edward captive? The English way, when you have a king captive or in a corner, is to negotiate, and to perhaps buy the odd pardon. He has to fall over a few times like John, Edward II, Richard II, poor Henry VI and later Charles I before you actually remove him. And in medieval terms Richard was a better long-term (and legitimate) option than Edward V. EW as we've said, was more the celebrity than the politician, if Buckingham seduced Richard he could certainly seduce her. Good debate though! H Doug here: First a quick aside: I was searching the internet for info on Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham and found that the Encyclopedia Britannica describes him as a Lancastrian!? I knew his father was, but I'd always understood our Buckingham was a Yorkist, disgruntled by being sidelined perhaps, but still a Yorkist. Do you agree with their assessment? Because if he was, then that places an entirely different aspect on what happened in 1483...or doesn't it? One would think It would certainly shoot down the idea that Buckingham supported HT as the Lancastrian claimant to the throne, at any rate. If Buckingham thought of himself as the remaining Lancastrian claimant, that might also go a long way in explaining why and how Morton was so easily able to play on Buckingham's ego. Oh well, the more we discover, the less we know, it seems! About that 80%  what would be their respective rewards be should they assist E5 in regaining the throne as opposed to, from the outset, helping Buckingham in gaining it? As I see it, with the former, they could portray themselves as loyal subjects of an illegally-deposed king  and expect rewards commensurate (another word I've always wanted to use!) with that stance. There'd also be the chance of gaining greater support in returning E5 to the throne; besides MB's Lancastrian network, there'd also be the Woodvilles and their affinity, other E5 Yorkists, and, those anti-E4 Yorkists as well. With Buckingham as their standard bearer, OTOH, they're starting with Buckingham's affinity, plus anyone else they can scrape together. Which would place a premium on MB's network, wouldn't it? Simply from the view point of of which would raise the most troops, I'd think the former was the strongest. Of course, people aren't always rational and do what helps them the most, but still... Doug Who is enjoying this exchange very much, thank you!

2016-04-07 12:09:29
Hilary Jones
Hi Doug, I seem to recall that Edward gave some of Buckingham's Welsh lands to William Herbert? If Marie's out there she may know, or Paul might - he's done a lot of work on Buckingham? I get the impression Buckingham went with the wind and he certainly had visits from Auntie Margaret. The idea of presenting the rebellions as supporting a deposed king was probably a better option for most of those involved, even if they'd fallen foul of Edward. The Woodvilles would need a new power base if they lost Richard (they lacked a good military commander for a start). A new alliance between them and De Vere (who would bring old Lancaster) wasn't at all a bad option; they still had their contacts and they could do some pardon deals to gain new support.
There is certainly something going on in Calais - we know Richard tried to get De Vere arrested there in 1484 and failed. The Hautes, (and by default Tyrells) and Kentish rebels had strong ties there and continued to do so after Richard's time.
Perhaps Morton was wise enough to let Buckingham put his head above the parapet first to see how things went - I get the impression few worried about sacrificing him? And it probably misfired more badly than even he'd imagined.
Finally we know we've been conned about Richard by people like More. How much of what we think of Edward is distortion? Was the Yorkist takeover in 1461 really as popular as we're led to believe - or is it all about the maligning of MOA (Shakespeare does a marvellous job there)? After all, Henry VI didn't go round persecuting people, it was just his inconvenient incapacities. I ask this because, as Paul said, Ross when he wrote his Richard III he hated his subject but could see little wrong with the golden Edward. When he came to write his Edward IV (a much better book in my opinion) he is groping for good things to say about him - in fact it's very akin to Penn's take on Henry VII; a biographer no longer in love with his subject. I could see people in 1460 falling for a young handsome king, but we're a fickle bunch and the adoration soon fades with marriage and a thickening waistline - bit like celebrities today :) H

To:
Sent: Wednesday, 6 April 2016, 19:42

Hilary wrote: This is my dilemma Doug. I would say 80% of those involved in Buckingham's rebellion had been damaged by Edward - why on earth would they want his son (a minor) or Richard, on the throne? This was their big chance to 'have a say' if they made enough fuss and succeeded - just like the Magna Carta barons. In fact perhaps they didn't think it would fail so dismally, after all Warwick had taken Edward captive? The English way, when you have a king captive or in a corner, is to negotiate, and to perhaps buy the odd pardon. He has to fall over a few times like John, Edward II, Richard II, poor Henry VI and later Charles I before you actually remove him. And in medieval terms Richard was a better long-term (and legitimate) option than Edward V. EW as we've said, was more the celebrity than the politician, if Buckingham seduced Richard he could certainly seduce her. Good debate though! H Doug here: First a quick aside: I was searching the internet for info on Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham and found that the Encyclopedia Britannica describes him as a Lancastrian!? I knew his father was, but I'd always understood our Buckingham was a Yorkist, disgruntled by being sidelined perhaps, but still a Yorkist. Do you agree with their assessment? Because if he was, then that places an entirely different aspect on what happened in 1483...or doesn't it? One would think It would certainly shoot down the idea that Buckingham supported HT as the Lancastrian claimant to the throne, at any rate. If Buckingham thought of himself as the remaining Lancastrian claimant, that might also go a long way in explaining why and how Morton was so easily able to play on Buckingham's ego. Oh well, the more we discover, the less we know, it seems! About that 80%  what would be their respective rewards be should they assist E5 in regaining the throne as opposed to, from the outset, helping Buckingham in gaining it? As I see it, with the former, they could portray themselves as loyal subjects of an illegally-deposed king  and expect rewards commensurate (another word I've always wanted to use!) with that stance. There'd also be the chance of gaining greater support in returning E5 to the throne; besides MB's Lancastrian network, there'd also be the Woodvilles and their affinity, other E5 Yorkists, and, those anti-E4 Yorkists as well. With Buckingham as their standard bearer, OTOH, they're starting with Buckingham's affinity, plus anyone else they can scrape together. Which would place a premium on MB's network, wouldn't it? Simply from the view point of of which would raise the most troops, I'd think the former was the strongest. Of course, people aren't always rational and do what helps them the most, but still... Doug Who is enjoying this exchange very much, thank you!

2016-04-07 12:48:41
Hilary Jones
There is one other thing I always forget to mention. All our other so-called 'bad' kings i.e. those I listed the other day, have lists of grievances against them - they had cronies, they raised unfair taxes, they lost land, they were incapacitated. (Notice there is no mention of killing anyone - child (Arthur) or man - kings were supposed to do that). Where is the list of grievances presented to Richard concerning his ill governance? Even Horrox (who at times is all over the place) says he didn't pay his close friends and servants as much as his predecessors did theirs - so no cronyism there. He inherited a difficult financial situation but there don't seem to be any riots or complaints by the masses about swingeing taxes. He actually reformed the judicial system and those who say he only held one parliament in two years should look at his predecessors' records.
Yet in summing him up no biographer ever points this out. Nor do they say that in fact it looks suspiciously like something therefore had to be engineered against him - the supposed disposal of his nephews, which, even if he had done it, would have received no more attention than Edward's disposal of Henry VI had he lived to reign longer. I see there is yet another book out by an expert who claims to have solved everything including the mystery of the princes from contemporary sources. I bet Thomas More if he's looking down wishes he could get the rights to his 'essay'. He'd be a millionaire by now. H

To: "" <>
Sent: Thursday, 7 April 2016, 12:09

Hi Doug, I seem to recall that Edward gave some of Buckingham's Welsh lands to William Herbert? If Marie's out there she may know, or Paul might - he's done a lot of work on Buckingham? I get the impression Buckingham went with the wind and he certainly had visits from Auntie Margaret. The idea of presenting the rebellions as supporting a deposed king was probably a better option for most of those involved, even if they'd fallen foul of Edward. The Woodvilles would need a new power base if they lost Richard (they lacked a good military commander for a start). A new alliance between them and De Vere (who would bring old Lancaster) wasn't at all a bad option; they still had their contacts and they could do some pardon deals to gain new support.
There is certainly something going on in Calais - we know Richard tried to get De Vere arrested there in 1484 and failed. The Hautes, (and by default Tyrells) and Kentish rebels had strong ties there and continued to do so after Richard's time.
Perhaps Morton was wise enough to let Buckingham put his head above the parapet first to see how things went - I get the impression few worried about sacrificing him? And it probably misfired more badly than even he'd imagined.
Finally we know we've been conned about Richard by people like More. How much of what we think of Edward is distortion? Was the Yorkist takeover in 1461 really as popular as we're led to believe - or is it all about the maligning of MOA (Shakespeare does a marvellous job there)? After all, Henry VI didn't go round persecuting people, it was just his inconvenient incapacities. I ask this because, as Paul said, Ross when he wrote his Richard III he hated his subject but could see little wrong with the golden Edward. When he came to write his Edward IV (a much better book in my opinion) he is groping for good things to say about him - in fact it's very akin to Penn's take on Henry VII; a biographer no longer in love with his subject. I could see people in 1460 falling for a young handsome king, but we're a fickle bunch and the adoration soon fades with marriage and a thickening waistline - bit like celebrities today :) H

To:
Sent: Wednesday, 6 April 2016, 19:42

2016-04-20 13:51:07
Doug Stamate
Hilary wrote: Hi Doug, I seem to recall that Edward gave some of Buckingham's Welsh lands to William Herbert? If Marie's out there she may know, or Paul might - he's done a lot of work on Buckingham? I get the impression Buckingham went with the wind and he certainly had visits from Auntie Margaret. The idea of presenting the rebellions as supporting a deposed king was probably a better option for most of those involved, even if they'd fallen foul of Edward. The Woodvilles would need a new power base if they lost Richard (they lacked a good military commander for a start). A new alliance between them and De Vere (who would bring old Lancaster) wasn't at all a bad option; they still had their contacts and they could do some pardon deals to gain new support. Doug here: Basically, yes. Edward V supporters plus Buckingham's affinity plus dissatisfied Edward IV supporters plus any remaining Lancastrians equals a very good chance of getting rid of Richard. As to what Buckingham intended after that, I'm still up in the air. Hilary continued: There is certainly something going on in Calais - we know Richard tried to get De Vere arrested there in 1484 and failed. The Hautes, (and by default Tyrells) and Kentish rebels had strong ties there and continued to do so after Richard's time. Doug here: Perhaps the first attempt at gaining French support? Or at least the support of the one major group of well-trained soldiers? Hilary continued: Perhaps Morton was wise enough to let Buckingham put his head above the parapet first to see how things went - I get the impression few worried about sacrificing him? And it probably misfired more badly than even he'd imagined. Doug here: I'm finding it very difficult to place Morton. Was he just a frustrated office-seeker, willing to work for whoever would appreciate his talents? Was he a deep-delving Lancastrian, determined to displace the Yorkists? Or, most likely, a mixture of the two? I do tend to believe that Morton recognized that the only way to displace Richard would be by replacing him with Edward V. To do so, however, would require someone to stand in, so to speak, for Edward during the rebellion and, I wonder, if Morton didn't realize too late that Buckingham just wasn't up to the job? Or perhaps Morton realized that Buckingham himself had eyes on the throne and that Buckingham's plan wouldn't work (say, the boys not surviving their rescue)? I don't suppose anyone has written an objective, or as objective as possible, biography of Morton, have they? Hilary concluded: Finally we know we've been conned about Richard by people like More. How much of what we think of Edward is distortion? Was the Yorkist takeover in 1461 really as popular as we're led to believe - or is it all about the maligning of MOA (Shakespeare does a marvellous job there)? After all, Henry VI didn't go round persecuting people, it was just his inconvenient incapacities. I ask this because, as Paul said, Ross when he wrote his Richard III he hated his subject but could see little wrong with the golden Edward. When he came to write his Edward IV (a much better book in my opinion) he is groping for good things to say about him - in fact it's very akin to Penn's take on Henry VII; a biographer no longer in love with his subject. I could see people in 1460 falling for a young handsome king, but we're a fickle bunch and the adoration soon fades with marriage and a thickening waistline - bit like celebrities today :) Doug here: Reality often doesn't match what people imagined, so I'd agree there very well may have been some buyers' remorse among supporters of Edward IV. Whether that remorse would extend to supporting a complete removal of the House of York from the throne is something else. HT's marriage to Elizabeth of York shows there was a great of Yorkist support remaining after Bosworth; the problem was on whom to focus it, Edward IV's sons, his eldest daughter, or someone else (Warwick, de la Pole). Doug (with apologies for the delay in replying)
--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

2016-04-21 10:51:52
Hilary Jones
Sorry just found this. William Stanley was found to have his Yorkist (Edward 1V) regalia) after his execution. Not Edward V's. Was this a typo? H

Sent from my iPhone
On 22 Mar 2016, at 23:45, ajhibbard@... [] <> wrote:

How did William Stanley come into possession of Edward V's regalia?

A J

2016-04-28 20:49:18
justcarol67
Hilary wrote:

"I think we have overestimated MB and underestimated DeVere [Oxford]."

Carol responds:

I agree. Conspiracies are one thing; an experienced general with a grudge (and Oxford had plenty of them against both Edward IV and Richard). Had it not been for Oxford, Henry Tudor could not have won--or even fought--at Bosworth.

Oxford had been imprisoned by Edward in 1475 but Oxford persuaded the captain of Hammes Castle, James Blount, to help him escape--very bad news for Richard. If only Edward had executed him for multiple treasons when he had the chance.

Carol

P.S. My apologies if multiple blank versions of this message show up. Yahoo keeps reverting to the previous page when I try to incorporate part of the message I'm responding to in my post. As it is, I've resorted to memory for the line I've quoted and hope I've quoted it correctly.

2016-04-29 09:37:28
hjnatdat
Hi Doug, back now so can reply properly. I agree with what you say about Morton. I wonder if we too often tie him in with MB and Bray when he was in fact his own man. He was old Lancaster, like De Vere. He was in exile with MOA, like De Vere, but he was perhaps more pragmatic than De Vere; he went with the tide under Edward when he had to. I have a sneaking regard for De Vere who always stuck to his cause; he and Richard were very alike in quite a few ways, what a shame the House of York didn't make more attempt to bring him on board.
With apologies to all for being boring can I bring us back to another cleric, Stillington, because my feelings about him and his relationship with the HOY are now up in the air?
You'll know from my seemingly endless posts that Stillington has three chums in Somerset, one of whom is the guardian of his granddaughters and all of whom marry their children to them. They all come from the same small area and have ties with the cloth merchants of Bristol, the Cheddars, the Talbots and the Twynyhos. They are dangerously geographically close to Clarence at Farleigh Hungerford. Two, Sir John (Craddock) Newton and Sir Edmund Gorges (Russell) are cousins. Newton claims descent from Rhys ap Tudor and is the brother in law to Eleanor Butler.
And now we come to the guardian, Sir Richard Chokke judge, who I could never quite link in - till now. His biography says he came from Bristol and his father moved to Long Ashton in 1435. His fther was John Chokke merchant of Bristol,his mother was one Alice Lyons. She was one of the two heirs of Sir Thomas Lyons, the 'owner' of Long Ashton who died in 1408. The other daughter, Elizabeth, married Thomas Woodville, the uncle of EW. So between 1408 and 1435 when hedied without heirs, a Woodville owned Long Ashton. It then passed to his nephew John Chokke. Sir Richard's father.Thomas Woodville was MP and Sheriff of Northants and much older than EW's father, who was the son of a second wife.
So where is Stillington in all this? He first went there in 1444/5 and moved after a year to St David's in Wales. The dates of birth for his granddaughters would indicate that their mother was born at about this time. So who was her mother and did she have a connections with the Chokkes and hence the Woodvilles?
There are two areas which could tie him in with the Woodvilles- one is his period in the Tower at the time of Clarence's fall (were they involved in that) and his fall from grace with HT at the same time as EW in 1491. So if he has a Woodville affinity (and he becomes bishop shortly after EW's marriage to Edward) why would he have any involvement in the pre-contract? At the moment I'm stuck. We desperately need to know who is Juliana's mother. It might tell us a lot. H
(many apologies for typos; this website is driving me bonkers this morning)
Hilary wrote:Hi Doug, I seem to recall that Edward gave some of Buckingham's Welsh lands to William Herbert? If Marie's out there she may know, or Paul might - he's done a lot of work on Buckingham? I get the impression Buckingham went with the wind and he certainly had visits from Auntie Margaret. The idea of presenting the rebellions as supporting a deposed king was probably a better option for most of those involved, even if they'd fallen foul of Edward. The Woodvilles would need a new power base if they lost Richard (they lacked a good military commander for a start). A new alliance between them and De Vere (who would bring old Lancaster) wasn't at all a bad option; they still had their contacts and they could do some pardon deals to gain new support. Doug here:Basically, yes. Edward V supporters plus Buckingham's affinity plus dissatisfied Edward IV supporters plus any remaining Lancastrians equals a very good chance of getting rid of Richard. As to what Buckingham intended after that, I'm still up in the air. Hilary continued:There is certainly something going on in Calais - we know Richard tried to get De Vere arrested there in 1484 and failed. The Hautes, (and by default Tyrells) and Kentish rebels had strong ties there and continued to do so after Richard's time. Doug here:Perhaps the first attempt at gaining French support? Or at least the support of the one major group of well-trained soldiers? Hilary continued:Perhaps Morton was wise enough to let Buckingham put his head above the parapet first to see how things went - I get the impression few worried about sacrificing him? And it probably misfired more badly than even he'd imagined. Doug here:I'm finding it very difficult to place Morton. Was he just a frustrated office-seeker, willing to work for whoever would appreciate his talents? Was he a deep-delving Lancastrian, determined to displace the Yorkists? Or, most likely, a mixture of the two?I do tend to believe that Morton recognized that the only way to displace Richard would be by replacing him with Edward V. To do so, however, would require someone to stand in, so to speak, for Edward during the rebellion and, I wonder, if Morton didn't realize too late that Buckingham just wasn't up to the job? Or perhaps Morton realized that Buckingham himself had eyes on the throne and that Buckingham's plan wouldn't work (say, the boys not surviving their rescue)?I don't suppose anyone has written an objective, or as objective as possible, biography of Morton, have they? Hilary concluded:Finally we know we've been conned about Richard by people like More. How much of what we think of Edward is distortion? Was the Yorkist takeover in 1461 really as popular as we're led to believe - or is it all about the maligning of MOA (Shakespeare does a marvellous job there)? After all, Henry VI didn't go round persecuting people, it was just his inconvenient incapacities. I ask this because, as Paul said, Ross when he wrote his Richard III he hated his subject but could see little wrong with the golden Edward. When he came to write his Edward IV (a much better book in my opinion) he is groping for good things to say about him - in fact it's very akin to Penn's take on Henry VII; a biographer no longer in love with his subject. I could see people in 1460 falling for a young handsome king, but we're a fickle bunch and the adoration soon fades with marriage and a thickening waistline - bit like celebrities today :) Doug here:Reality often doesn't match what people imagined, so I'd agree there very well may have been some buyers' remorse among supporters of Edward IV. Whether that remorse would extend to supporting a complete removal of the House of York from the throne is something else. HT's marriage to Elizabeth of York shows there was a great of Yorkist support remaining after Bosworth; the problem was on whom to focus it, Edward IV's sons, his eldest daughter, or someone else (Warwick, de la Pole).Doug(with apologies for the delay in replying)
--
believed to be clean.

2016-04-29 11:26:35
Hilary Jones
Sorry, Thomas Woodville was the great uncle of EW - really was struggling with the typing H

To:
Sent: Friday, 29 April 2016, 9:37

Hi Doug, back now so can reply properly. I agree with what you say about Morton. I wonder if we too often tie him in with MB and Bray when he was in fact his own man. He was old Lancaster, like De Vere. He was in exile with MOA, like De Vere, but he was perhaps more pragmatic than De Vere; he went with the tide under Edward when he had to. I have a sneaking regard for De Vere who always stuck to his cause; he and Richard were very alike in quite a few ways, what a shame the House of York didn't make more attempt to bring him on board.
With apologies to all for being boring can I bring us back to another cleric, Stillington, because my feelings about him and his relationship with the HOY are now up in the air?
You'll know from my seemingly endless posts that Stillington has three chums in Somerset, one of whom is the guardian of his granddaughters and all of whom marry their children to them. They all come from the same small area and have ties with the cloth merchants of Bristol, the Cheddars, the Talbots and the Twynyhos. They are dangerously geographically close to Clarence at Farleigh Hungerford. Two, Sir John (Craddock) Newton and Sir Edmund Gorges (Russell) are cousins. Newton claims descent from Rhys ap Tudor and is the brother in law to Eleanor Butler.
And now we come to the guardian, Sir Richard Chokke judge, who I could never quite link in - till now. His biography says he came from Bristol and his father moved to Long Ashton in 1435. His fther was John Chokke merchant of Bristol,his mother was one Alice Lyons. She was one of the two heirs of Sir Thomas Lyons, the 'owner' of Long Ashton who died in 1408. The other daughter, Elizabeth, married Thomas Woodville, the uncle of EW. So between 1408 and 1435 when hedied without heirs, a Woodville owned Long Ashton. It then passed to his nephew John Chokke. Sir Richard's father.Thomas Woodville was MP and Sheriff of Northants and much older than EW's father, who was the son of a second wife.
So where is Stillington in all this? He first went there in 1444/5 and moved after a year to St David's in Wales. The dates of birth for his granddaughters would indicate that their mother was born at about this time. So who was her mother and did she have a connections with the Chokkes and hence the Woodvilles?
There are two areas which could tie him in with the Woodvilles- one is his period in the Tower at the time of Clarence's fall (were they involved in that) and his fall from grace with HT at the same time as EW in 1491. So if he has a Woodville affinity (and he becomes bishop shortly after EW's marriage to Edward) why would he have any involvement in the pre-contract? At the moment I'm stuck. We desperately need to know who is Juliana's mother. It might tell us a lot. H
(many apologies for typos; this website is driving me bonkers this morning)
Hilary wrote:Hi Doug, I seem to recall that Edward gave some of Buckingham's Welsh lands to William Herbert? If Marie's out there she may know, or Paul might - he's done a lot of work on Buckingham? I get the impression Buckingham went with the wind and he certainly had visits from Auntie Margaret. The idea of presenting the rebellions as supporting a deposed king was probably a better option for most of those involved, even if they'd fallen foul of Edward. The Woodvilles would need a new power base if they lost Richard (they lacked a good military commander for a start). A new alliance between them and De Vere (who would bring old Lancaster) wasn't at all a bad option; they still had their contacts and they could do some pardon deals to gain new support. Doug here:Basically, yes. Edward V supporters plus Buckingham's affinity plus dissatisfied Edward IV supporters plus any remaining Lancastrians equals a very good chance of getting rid of Richard. As to what Buckingham intended after that, I'm still up in the air. Hilary continued:There is certainly something going on in Calais - we know Richard tried to get De Vere arrested there in 1484 and failed. The Hautes, (and by default Tyrells) and Kentish rebels had strong ties there and continued to do so after Richard's time. Doug here:Perhaps the first attempt at gaining French support? Or at least the support of the one major group of well-trained soldiers? Hilary continued:Perhaps Morton was wise enough to let Buckingham put his head above the parapet first to see how things went - I get the impression few worried about sacrificing him? And it probably misfired more badly than even he'd imagined. Doug here:I'm finding it very difficult to place Morton. Was he just a frustrated office-seeker, willing to work for whoever would appreciate his talents? Was he a deep-delving Lancastrian, determined to displace the Yorkists? Or, most likely, a mixture of the two?I do tend to believe that Morton recognized that the only way to displace Richard would be by replacing him with Edward V. To do so, however, would require someone to stand in, so to speak, for Edward during the rebellion and, I wonder, if Morton didn't realize too late that Buckingham just wasn't up to the job? Or perhaps Morton realized that Buckingham himself had eyes on the throne and that Buckingham's plan wouldn't work (say, the boys not surviving their rescue)?I don't suppose anyone has written an objective, or as objective as possible, biography of Morton, have they? Hilary concluded:Finally we know we've been conned about Richard by people like More. How much of what we think of Edward is distortion? Was the Yorkist takeover in 1461 really as popular as we're led to believe - or is it all about the maligning of MOA (Shakespeare does a marvellous job there)? After all, Henry VI didn't go round persecuting people, it was just his inconvenient incapacities. I ask this because, as Paul said, Ross when he wrote his Richard III he hated his subject but could see little wrong with the golden Edward. When he came to write his Edward IV (a much better book in my opinion) he is groping for good things to say about him - in fact it's very akin to Penn's take on Henry VII; a biographer no longer in love with his subject. I could see people in 1460 falling for a young handsome king, but we're a fickle bunch and the adoration soon fades with marriage and a thickening waistline - bit like celebrities today :) Doug here:Reality often doesn't match what people imagined, so I'd agree there very well may have been some buyers' remorse among supporters of Edward IV. Whether that remorse would extend to supporting a complete removal of the House of York from the throne is something else. HT's marriage to Elizabeth of York shows there was a great of Yorkist support remaining after Bosworth; the problem was on whom to focus it, Edward IV's sons, his eldest daughter, or someone else (Warwick, de la Pole).Doug(with apologies for the delay in replying)
--
believed to be clean.

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.