Elizabeth Woodville Anxious Mother or Calculating Shrew

Elizabeth Woodville Anxious Mother or Calculating Shrew

2016-03-02 02:20:40
poohlandeva

When Elizabeth Woodville fled into sanctuary, five daughters, one son and a brother, Linnel who joined her later, in tow, reputably with some treasure and cash as well, not because her husband was in exile or her life in immediate danger, but because she was afraid Richard, Duke of Gloucester, now lawfully bringing his nephew, the young king Edward v to the capital would be angry about her attempts to usurp his rightful place as Protector of the Realm, she became the focus of sympathy and debates about the motivation for her actions. Reactions vary from dramatic stories and histories, in More and Shakespeare of a terrified mother, who hearing that her brother Anthony Woodville has been innocently arrested and her son in the power of his wicked uncle, fleeing in the middle of the night to protect her other children, to she may have been afraid but she plotted to stop Richard becoming Protector, although she still engenders sympathy as she remains in sanctuary, hears rumours concerning her sons and fears for the future of her daughters. However, Elizabeth Woodville was also criticized for releasing her younger son and bringing her daughters out of sanctuary after an agreement with Richard.

All very good stufff, but for me recently it has become clear that it was Elizabeth Woodville's own fault that she was in sanctuary, her fears have no foundation, she chose to remain in sanctuary and may have accidentally put her own sons lives at risk by doing so. Elizabeth, according to some sources stole the royal fortune, crown property, her brother, Edward took the fleet, she was going to the nobility and encouraged them to raise arms against Richard, but they refused, she tried to get the council to support her party, crown Edward on 4th May 1483, to ensure Richard was not confirmed as Lord Protector of the Realm and she heard of Anthony Woodville arrest at midnight on 30th April. It seems to me that Elizabeth and co planned their escape in case their plotting went wrong and when it did, via the arrest at Stoney Stafford of Anthony, that they grabbed everything in sight and made their escape, to a well prepared Westminster Sanctuary. It seems odd that Elizabeth was able to move her furniture, clothing and money when she was so desperate that she fled for her life in the middle of the night.

How did Elizabeth know that Anthony Woodville had been arrested during the day of 29th by midnight on 30th, in London, some six hours away, assuming that horses were laid out for the rider every 20 miles? Who brought the news from Stoney Stafford and Northampton in such short notice and how was it that she was almost preparing to flee, as if she expected Richard to arrest her brother? What was Elizabeth about thinking she could seize control of the King and government in the first place? I think she had a spy in the royal retinue who at Richard's greetings to his nephew and revelation that Anthony had been arrested gallopped down to London at speed and raised the alarm. By morning on the next day the Queen Dowager and party were in sanctuary. I also believe that Elizabeth manipulated the fact that she was in sanctuary. Richard was on his way to London with her son, he tried hard to cox her out, she played the frightened victim and chose to remain there. When Richard asked for the young Prince Richard to join his brother in the royal residence in the Tower of London, she played the anxious and mourning mother to perfection. After Richard iii was crowned and away from her, Elizabeth Woodville was indicted as being involved in the alleged plot to replace them.

It could also be seen that Elizabeth plotted with Margaret Beaufort to support Henry Tudor, but sanctuary protected her. She also used her hardship in Sanctuary to negotiate a way out the Sanctuary and manipulated Richard iii into the agreement he made to protect her daughters, find them husbands in order to come out of Sanctuary. The modern thinking is that she had no choice but to come to an agreement with Richard iii after ten months, but her thinkingis uncertain. Elizabeth should be praised for attracting attention as the mother of two lozt Princes, which if she did believe that her sons were killed is sad, for being hiding in fear of her life, yet she moved out of sanctuary, then manipulated and plotted the marriage of Elizabeth of York and Henry Tudor, with her opposite number, Margaret Beaufort for the marriage and future of her daughter and the crown. I think Elizabeth could have come from the sanctuary earlier but chose to remain there until she got the promise of King Richard that gave them all she wanted.

Re: Elizabeth Woodville Anxious Mother or Calculating Shrew

2016-03-02 13:23:15
Nicholas Brown
This is an excellent post, Poohlandeva. I strongly suspect that EW was involved in a conspiracy, and her rush into the sanctuary in so short a space of time after Anthony Woodville's arrest does suggest a Plan B that she was well prepared for. If Edward had nominated Richard as Protector, she should have distanced herself from any other ideas and insisted her late husband's wishes were honoured. That would have prevented a lot of trouble. As the Queen she was still a powerful figurehead, and her brothers would have had little choice other than to obey her.
Elizabeth and the Woodvilles have their modern day apologists like Susan Higginbotham and David Baldwin, but I have always felt the facts lean towards the more traditional view that they were excessively ambitious and grasping. I do wish Philippa Gregory had gone with shrew theory for the White Queen though; it would have made much more interesting TV.

One other question that has puzzled me though, is Elizabeth of York's role in all this. At 17, she wasn't exactly young by medieval standards, and could have spoken out against a Woodville plot. She didn't really need to be in the sanctuary, nor did her siblings - and it must have been boring for them all to stuck in there. Also, she could have left at any time, taking the younger ones with her. She was a Princess by birth and her mother a Queen Dowager, so she would have ranked even higher. So, there must have been something in it for her.
Nico

On Wednesday, 2 March 2016, 2:20, poohlandeva <[email protected]> wrote:

When Elizabeth Woodville fled into sanctuary, five daughters, one son and a brother, Linnel who joined her later, in tow, reputably with some treasure and cash as well, not because her husband was in exile or her life in immediate danger, but because she was afraid Richard, Duke of Gloucester, now lawfully bringing his nephew, the young king Edward v to the capital would be angry about her attempts to usurp his rightful place as Protector of the Realm, she became the focus of sympathy and debates about the motivation for her actions. Reactions vary from dramatic stories and histories, in More and Shakespeare of a terrified mother, who hearing that her brother Anthony Woodville has been innocently arrested and her son in the power of his wicked uncle, fleeing in the middle of the night to protect her other children, to she may have been afraid but she plotted to stop Richard becoming Protector, although she still engenders sympathy as she remains in sanctuary, hears rumours concerning her sons and fears for the future of her daughters. However, Elizabeth Woodville was also criticized for releasing her younger son and bringing her daughters out of sanctuary after an agreement with Richard.
All very good stufff, but for me recently it has become clear that it was Elizabeth Woodville's own fault that she was in sanctuary, her fears have no foundation, she chose to remain in sanctuary and may have accidentally put her own sons lives at risk by doing so. Elizabeth, according to some sources stole the royal fortune, crown property, her brother, Edward took the fleet, she was going to the nobility and encouraged them to raise arms against Richard, but they refused, she tried to get the council to support her party, crown Edward on 4th May 1483, to ensure Richard was not confirmed as Lord Protector of the Realm and she heard of Anthony Woodville arrest at midnight on 30th April. It seems to me that Elizabeth and co planned their escape in case their plotting went wrong and when it did, via the arrest at Stoney Stafford of Anthony, that they grabbed everything in sight and made their escape, to a well prepared Westminster Sanctuary. It seems odd that Elizabeth was able to move her furniture, clothing and money when she was so desperate that she fled for her life in the middle of the night.
How did Elizabeth know that Anthony Woodville had been arrested during the day of 29th by midnight on 30th, in London, some six hours away, assuming that horses were laid out for the rider every 20 miles? Who brought the news from Stoney Stafford and Northampton in such short notice and how was it that she was almost preparing to flee, as if she expected Richard to arrest her brother? What was Elizabeth about thinking she could seize control of the King and government in the first place? I think she had a spy in the royal retinue who at Richard's greetings to his nephew and revelation that Anthony had been arrested gallopped down to London at speed and raised the alarm. By morning on the next day the Queen Dowager and party were in sanctuary. I also believe that Elizabeth manipulated the fact that she was in sanctuary. Richard was on his way to London with her son, he tried hard to cox her out, she played the frightened victim and chose to remain there. When Richard asked for the young Prince Richard to join his brother in the royal residence in the Tower of London, she played the anxious and mourning mother to perfection. After Richard iii was crowned and away from her, Elizabeth Woodville was indicted as being involved in the alleged plot to replace them.
It could also be seen that Elizabeth plotted with Margaret Beaufort to support Henry Tudor, but sanctuary protected her. She also used her hardship in Sanctuary to negotiate a way out the Sanctuary and manipulated Richard iii into the agreement he made to protect her daughters, find them husbands in order to come out of Sanctuary. The modern thinking is that she had no choice but to come to an agreement with Richard iii after ten months, but her thinkingis uncertain. Elizabeth should be praised for attracting attention as the mother of two lozt Princes, which if she did believe that her sons were killed is sad, for being hiding in fear of her life, yet she moved out of sanctuary, then manipulated and plotted the marriage of Elizabeth of York and Henry Tudor, with her opposite number, Margaret Beaufort for the marriage and future of her daughter and the crown. I think Elizabeth could have come from the sanctuary earlier but chose to remain there until she got the promise of King Richard that gave them all she wanted.

2016-03-02 15:35:35
mariewalsh2003

Hi Nico,

Interesting question about Elizabeth of York. Remember, though, she was an unmarried girl and that came, in those days, with a raft of assumptions. I doubt very much that she'd have been included in the full details of any scheming, in fact she probably knew nothing at all about plots her mother may have hatched, in fact. The role of Protector is often misunderstood - see Annette Carson's excellent booklet - and would by no means have precluded a guardianship role for the Queen or Rivers, so if she knew of no plot to attack or exclude Gloucester from the position of Protector then his behaviour at Stony Stratford would have seemed very threatening and she would naturally have gone along with the sanctuary plan. Once there, her access to information would have been decidedly limited and one-sided.

2016-03-02 16:10:11
Doug Stamate
Nicholas wrote: This is an excellent post, Poohlandeva. I strongly suspect that EW was involved in a conspiracy, and her rush into the sanctuary in so short a space of time after Anthony Woodville's arrest does suggest a Plan B that she was well prepared for. If Edward had nominated Richard as Protector, she should have distanced herself from any other ideas and insisted her late husband's wishes were honoured. That would have prevented a lot of trouble. As the Queen she was still a powerful figurehead, and her brothers would have had little choice other than to obey her. Doug here: I fully agree that EWs actions in seeking sanctuary suggest a pre-arranged Plan B; however, we need to remember that in 1483 closet,if used at all, likely meant something on the order of a water closet and most belongings would already have been packed away, stored where they usually were, in trunks. As would any monies, plate, etc. Also, while she did have the option of distancing herself from any plots, that she could order her relatives to do something and expect that order to be obeyed is, I think, anachronistic. Any power EW had had been based on her marriage to the King and as the mother of the heir apparent. Edward IV was dead and all but the merest traces of any power that had devolved on her from that relationship were gone. The only power she now held was that of being the mother of the new monarch, who was a 12-year old boy. However, if Richard became Protector before his nephew was crowned, then whatever authority/power EW held as her son's protectress would be transferred to Richard. It was, I think, to prevent that that EW entered into a plot with her relatives to speed her son to London, have him crowned and set up a government before Richard could arrive. That would have presented Richard on his arrival in London with two options: he could acquiesce in the arrangements facing him, which would leave him in a position even more precarious than the previous Protector, Humphrey of Gloucester who had held the title, but had little or nor authority, or Richard could contest the arrangements, which almost certainly meant initiating a civil war over who controlled the under-age monarch  his mother's family or his father's. Nicholas continued: Elizabeth and the Woodvilles have their modern day apologists like Susan Higginbotham and David Baldwin, but I have always felt the facts lean towards the more traditional view that they were excessively ambitious and grasping. I do wish Philippa Gregory had gone with shrew theory for the White Queen though; it would have made much more interesting TV. Doug here: More interesting perhaps, but probably just as mistaken as EW doesn't seem to have been shrewish, but more calculating and, yes, grasping. Of course, money, especially lots of it, has always meant power and quite often if one has the power, then one can increase the amount of money one has as well! A circle that might easily be described as vicious, wouldn't you say?
Nicholas concluded:
One other question that has puzzled me though, is Elizabeth of York's role in all this. At 17, she wasn't exactly young by medieval standards, and could have spoken out against a Woodville plot. She didn't really need to be in the sanctuary, nor did her siblings - and it must have been boring for them all to stuck in there. Also, she could have left at any time, taking the yo unger ones with her. She was a Princess by birth and her mother a Queen Dowager, so she would have ranked even higher. So, there must have been something in it for her. Doug here: Elizabeth of York was a Princess by birth only until June, 1483; after that she was the illegitimate offspring of a royal liaison; which was something else entirely. Doug

2016-03-02 16:51:58
Jessie Skinner
A most interesting and thought provoking posting.
Thank you.

JessFrom: poohlandeva
Sent: 02/03/2016 02:20
To:
Subject: Elizabeth Woodville Anxious Mother or Calculating Shrew

2016-03-03 01:55:42
poohlandeva
Excellent discussion Doug and Nicola, the role of a Dowager Queen early in the transition from one reign to another I believe has always been ambiguous. It seems to have depended on the respect that she was held in, the arrangements she faced in any possible recency, the age of her son or daughter at the time of succession and the unity of the council. Support and loyalty behind her around the heir obviously helped, but unless indicated otherwise, that is she was appointed regent, as with Marie de Guise in Scotland, for example, her power ended with the death of her husband. Dowagers did attempt to rule through their offspring, even if they had no authority to do so, manipulating behind the scenes, but at first, surely the role of a widowed queen was just that, to be a widow and take a honoured place as the King's mother. Doug you are absolutely right, the role of Protector was not a guardian's role, he is not here to pamper the young king, he is here to assert power in the King's name, to rule in the King's name and to protect the Realm. He had the power to do justice, as High Constable, he could try treason, he could make laws, he needed the support of the council, the Parliament, to advise and consult with the King, but he basically had executive powers to rule until Edward came of age. I am reading Annette Carson at the moment, it is remarkable the full range of powers and functions Richard's twin titles contained.
I would have thought that Elizabeth Woodville would be in some form of official mourning, keeping state and being discrete awaiting and preparing to receive her son, the new King in state, not planning coronations and holding council meetings, causiing trouble, rabble rousing with the Lords to try to get them to be against Richard and being a general nuisance. Yes she could receive the Lords and seek advice, give advice, maybe appear the first council meeting to thank the Lords for their service and support, encourage unity and loyalty, but then retire and allow them to get on with ruling and making arrangements for the reception of the King, his uncles and to confirm Richard as Protector of the Realm. The King would have a role, under the advice of Richard in appointments as he chose his own council, Elizabeth could have, as you say a role in his guardianship and education. Given that Anthony Woodville had not done too bad educating and raising Edward, he was also not personally on poor terms with Richard, had he supported him, then he also probably could have shared a guardian role. Elizabeth by making trouble, not waiting for Richard and the council to agree a date for the coronation, not showing she accepted his superior power, and not greeting him cordially opened the way for the events that turned her son from King to deposed Prince. Whether the story of Edward IV and Eleanor Butler is true or not, Richard was able to be convinced that the boys were illegitimate, because he was now more open to the possibility. The information could now be made known because the political climate allowed it to be. The contract with Eleanor probably was true, Richard would have investigated and found it was true, not merely accepted the story. He was honest and honourable, he certainly believed that it was true, as he saw or received testament that the contract was true and his nephews illegitimate. Had Elizabeth accepted her husband's will, however and commanded the family to do so, accepted Richard as Protector he would not have been open to being approached, Bishop Shillington would have to keep quiet or riskk a treason charge. Elizabeth may not have been thinking clearly, her actions were foolish, dangerous and sbe then took advantage of the situation to act the victim. The stupid woman was offered a peaceful way out to resume her role as mother of the King and stsyed put. What a ninny.

2016-03-03 09:04:35
Hilary Jones
I concur with the others on the quality of your posts! I just happen to be consulting Jones and Underwood on MB. What she had in abundance was intelligence and the power of persuasion. People liked MB because she took them under her wing and stuck up for them - even at times against Henry. She was like a rather austere headmistress and people respected her. EW doesn't seem to have had any of those qualities. If you catapulted the pair of them into the modern day MB would probably be leading some large Corporation whilst EW and the Woodvilles would be celebrities, going into crisis under the slightest pressure.You're absolutely right. If EW and the Woodvilles had sought to work in partnership with Richard, as MB did with her son, then the need for Richard to act as he did and indeed for Buckinghamto nudge in would never have arisen. Whoever raised the Precontract issue would have been less inclined to do so. It was an opportunity lost and in the end it cost an awful lot of lives. But EW lacked the acumen to realise this - MB would have seized it with both hands - after all she would have been securing the support of the best soldier in the kingdom. H

To:
Sent: Thursday, 3 March 2016, 1:55
Subject: Re: Elizabeth Woodville Anxious Mother or Calculating Shrew

Excellent discussion Doug and Nicola, the role of a Dowager Queen early in the transition from one reign to another I believe has always been ambiguous. It seems to have depended on the respect that she was held in, the arrangements she faced in any possible recency, the age of her son or daughter at the time of succession and the unity of the council. Support and loyalty behind her around the heir obviously helped, but unless indicated otherwise, that is she was appointed regent, as with Marie de Guise in Scotland, for example, her power ended with the death of her husband. Dowagers did attempt to rule through their offspring, even if they had no authority to do so, manipulating behind the scenes, but at first, surely the role of a widowed queen was just that, to be a widow and take a honoured place as the King's mother. Doug you are absolutely right, the role of Protector was not a guardian's role, he is not here to pamper the young king, he is here to assert power in the King's name, to rule in the King's name and to protect the Realm. He had the power to do justice, as High Constable, he could try treason, he could make laws, he needed the support of the council, the Parliament, to advise and consult with the King, but he basically had executive powers to rule until Edward came of age. I am reading Annette Carson at the moment, it is remarkable the full range of powers and functions Richard's twin titles contained.
I would have thought that Elizabeth Woodville would be in some form of official mourning, keeping state and being discrete awaiting and preparing to receive her son, the new King in state, not planning coronations and holding council meetings, causiing trouble, rabble rousing with the Lords to try to get them to be against Richard and being a general nuisance. Yes she could receive the Lords and seek advice, give advice, maybe appear the first council meeting to thank the Lords for their service and support, encourage unity and loyalty, but then retire and allow them to get on with ruling and making arrangements for the reception of the King, his uncles and to confirm Richard as Protector of the Realm. The King would have a role, under the advice of Richard in appointments as he chose his own council, Elizabeth could have, as you say a role in his guardianship and education. Given that Anthony Woodville had not done too bad educating and raising Edward, he was also not personally on poor terms with Richard, had he supported him, then he also probably could have shared a guardian role. Elizabeth by making trouble, not waiting for Richard and the council to agree a date for the coronation, not showing she accepted his superior power, and not greeting him cordially opened the way for the events that turned her son from King to deposed Prince. Whether the story of Edward IV and Eleanor Butler is true or not, Richard was able to be convinced that the boys were illegitimate, because he was now more open to the possibility. The information could now be made known because the political climate allowed it to be. The contract with Eleanor probably was true, Richard would have investigated and found it was true, not merely accepted the story. He was honest and honourable, he certainly believed that it was true, as he saw or received testament that the contract was true and his nephews illegitimate. Had Elizabeth accepted her husband's will, however and commanded the family to do so, accepted Richard as Protector he would not have been open to being approached, Bishop Shillington would have to keep quiet or riskk a treason charge. Elizabeth may not have been thinking clearly, her actions were foolish, dangerous and sbe then took advantage of the situation to act the victim. The stupid woman was offered a peaceful way out to resume her role as mother of the King and stsyed put. What a ninny.

2016-03-03 10:32:51
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

I absolutely agree with your analysis of MB and EW. I think in good times EW probably had that sort of cool as a cucumber veneer that film stars do. A typical celebrity catapulted to fame by nothing more than good looks and poise, who'd come to assume that she would always be the centre of attention. Hence the loss of cool and the drama queen act. Like a lot of celebrities of that type, not a lot of intelligence, and that may have been true of some other members of the family. I always see Anthony as a poser, actually, including intellectually.

Margaret Beaufort - a huge intellect, a natural networker, able to inspire loyalty in those she chose to take under her wing and be totally ruthless with those whose support she didn't value. Yes, definitely a headmistress or entrepreneur.

2016-03-03 16:50:56
Doug Stamate
Eva wrote:
Excellent discussion Doug and Nicola, the role of a Dowager Queen early in the transition from one reign to another I believe has always been ambiguous. It seems to have depended on the respect that she was held in, the arrangements she faced in any possible regency, the age of her son or daughter at the time of succession and the unity of the council. Support and loyalty behind her around the heir obviously helped, but unless indicated otherwise, that is she was appointed regent, as with Marie de Guise in Scotland, for example, her power ended with the death of her husband. Dowagers did attempt to rule through their offspring, even if they had no authority to do so, manipulating behind the scenes, but at first, surely the role of a widowed queen was just that, to be a widow and take a honoured place as the King's mother. Doug you are absolutely right, the role of Protector was not a guardian's role, he is not here to pamper the young king, he is here to assert power in the King's name, to rule in the King's name and to protect the Realm. He had the power to do justice, as High Constable, he could try treason, he could make laws, he needed the support of the council, the Parliament, to advise and consult with the King, but he basically had executive powers to rule until Edward came of age. I am reading Annette Carson at the moment, it is remarkable the full range of powers and functions Richard's twin titles contained. Doug here: One sentence of yours got me to thinking. You wrote: Dowagers did attempt to rule through their offspring, even if they had no authority to do so, manipulating behind the scenes... What if EW believed she had the authority to rule for her son? Is there any way in which Richard could be named Protector without that knowledge being spread about? Say, in a codicil to Edward's will, a codicil that Edward, for whatever his reason/s, didn't publicize? I ask because the actions of the Woodvilles often appear, to me at least, to be those of people that believe they are in charge and, most importantly, will remain so. True, we have Elizabeth Woodville preparing to have her son crowned as soon as he arrives in London, but simultaneously we have those actually in charge of the new monarch's person, shilly-shallying around, making no attempt to ensure he gets to to London as quickly as possible so he can be crowned and Richard's Protectorate, if not prevented, then at least severely circumscribed! Did Edward's Governor think that possession of the new king would trump any- and everything? Or did he presume that the new king's mother was to be the king's guardian? Might EW's actions be viewed as those of someone who simply wants to ensure that her authority is quickly, and legally, recognized rather than as the actions of someone panicking at the thought of Richard becoming Protector and supplanting her and her family? Is there any information in Annette Carson's book about how a Protector was chosen? Could Edward simply designate someone, or did he need the acquiescence of his Council (or a majority of it, anyway)? Eva continued: I would have thought that Elizabeth Woodville would be in some form of official mourning, keeping state and being discrete awaiting and preparing to receive her son, the new King in state, not planning coronations and holding council meetings, causiing trouble, rabble rousing with the Lords to try to get them to be against Richard and being a general nuisance. Yes she could receive the Lords and seek advice, give advice, maybe appear the first council meeting to thank the Lords for their service and support, encourage unity and loyalty, but then retire and allow them to get on with ruling and making arrangements for the reception of the King, his uncles and to confirm Richard as Protector of the Realm. The King would have a role, under the advice of Richard in appointments as he chose his own council, Elizabeth could have, as you say a role in his guardianship and education. Given that Anthony Woodville had not done too bad educating and raising Edward, he was also not personally on poor terms with Richard, had he supported him, then he also probably could have shared a guardian role. Doug here: Again, this is why I started wondering about how much, if anything, was known about who was to be the new king's guardian or Protector. His mother would be the obvious choice for the former, Richard the latter. There weren't any worries about a Lancastrian attempt to overthrow Edward, Edward was receiving a pension from France, the Scots were quiet so, in those circumstances, the idea of Elizabeth serving as her son's guardian, vice even having a Protector, wouldn't be that out there. Eva concluded: Elizabeth by making trouble, not waiting for Richard and the council to agree a date for the coronation, not showing she accepted his superior power, and not greeting him cordially opened the way for the events that turned her son from King to deposed Prince. Whether the story of Edward IV and Eleanor Butler is true or not, Richar d was able to be convinced that the boys were illegitimate, because he was now more open to the possibility. The information could now be made known because the political climate allowed it to be. The contract with Eleanor probably was true, Richard would have investigated and found it was true, not merely accepted the story. He was honest and honourable, he certainly believed that it was true, as he saw or received testament that the contract was true and his nephews illegitimate. Had Elizabeth accepted her husband's will, however and commanded the family to do so, accepted Richard as Protector he would not have been open to being approached, Bishop Shillington would have to keep quiet or riskk a treason charge. Elizabeth may not have been thinking clearly, her actions were foolish, dangerous and sbe then took advantage of the situation to act the victim. The stupid woman was offered a peaceful way out to resume her role as mother of the King and stsyed put. What a ninny. Doug here: The only rebuttal I can offer to your first sentence is to repeat my query: Was the fact that Richard was to be Protector commonly, or least nobly, known immediately upon the death of Edward IV? Or is it possible that EW expected to be her son's guardian and what happened in April 1483 occurred because she wasn't? Doug who hopes he hasn't wasted a lot of pixels...

2016-03-03 18:09:02
b.eileen25
IMHO there were people that were loading the guns and letting EW fire the bullets,,,Eileen

2016-03-03 20:57:39
mariewalsh2003

Hi Doug,

Perhaps the main thing that emerges from Annette's book is that Protector was not a synonym for regent as is generally supposed (largely thanks to Mancini, an Italian who did not understand the English system). The job, as we all know, was created for Humphrey Duke of Gloucester as a political compromise when Henry V's nomination of him as regent was found unacceptable, and the arrangement was ratified by parliament. The office of Protector had never existed previously so there was no earlier precedent. The arrangement concluded was for a three-way division of responsibility. The Protector was protector of the country, not of the king's person, i.e. he was responsible for defence matters. He was also the chief member of the council but could not rule it like a king. The third body in the picture was the King's actual guardian, responsible for his upbringing and education. This pattern was adhered to in the 1450s, when parliament rejected QM's bid for the regency and chose York as Protector, with QM keeping control of the King's person. York spent a lot of his protectorate out and about putting down disturbances, which was entirely what the job was about.

I get the impression that it was generally known that Richard had been named by Edward as Protector, but this did not by any means preclude the Queen and her brother retaining their guardianship of the young king.

So Edward IV had almost certainly envisaged a cooperative arrangement, with Richard heading the government but having to work with the Council (which the records show is what happened) and the Woodvilles. It was not to be. Duke Humphrey had been forced to lay down his office in 1429 when Henry VI was crowned, so it seems to have been assumed by the Woodvilles that by getting Edward V crowned before Gloucester got to London they could circumvent a protectorate altogether. On the other hand York had exercised the office of Protector for Henry VI long after his coronation, on the grounds of renewed incapacity, so Richard could have argued that parliament should ratify his tenure of the office until Edward V was properly mature. This was actually the request that the council were planning to put to parliament after Edward's coronation - but that council decision, of course, was made after the Woodville downfall.

I highly recommend Annette's book - it's very cheap and worth its weight in gold.

Marie

2016-03-05 09:38:23
Hilary Jones
Just one further point. Doug mentions the word Dowager. Just what was EW thinking she could do? The role of the Dowager Queen was to sit quietly in a cupboard and she might just get strategically married off with the consent of the King/Council. It was not to rule or play a role in ruling - women didn't rule or meddle in such things. If they did then MOA's life would have been a lot easier. Was EW expecting to sit in the cupboard and her brothers run backwards and forwards for her directions? So why did she go into sanctuary - she had no worth because she had no role to play?
But if the Council/Parliament, even the Church, got a whiff of her intentions it would explain why they were more than ready to receive news of the Pre-contract. H

To:
Sent: Thursday, 3 March 2016, 20:57
Subject: Re: Re: Elizabeth Woodville Anxious Mother or Calculating Shrew

Hi Doug,
Perhaps the main thing that emerges from Annette's book is that Protector was not a synonym for regent as is generally supposed (largely thanks to Mancini, an Italian who did not understand the English system). The job, as we all know, was created for Humphrey Duke of Gloucester as a political compromise when Henry V's nomination of him as regent was found unacceptable, and the arrangement was ratified by parliament. The office of Protector had never existed previously so there was no earlier precedent. The arrangement concluded was for a three-way division of responsibility. The Protector was protector of the country, not of the king's person, i.e. he was responsible for defence matters. He was also the chief member of the council but could not rule it like a king. The third body in the picture was the King's actual guardian, responsible for his upbringing and education. This pattern was adhered to in the 1450s, when parliament rejected QM's bid for the regency and chose York as Protector, with QM keeping control of the King's person. York spent a lot of his protectorate out and about putting down disturbances, which was entirely what the job was about.
I get the impression that it was generally known that Richard had been named by Edward as Protector, but this did not by any means preclude the Queen and her brother retaining their guardianship of the young king.
So Edward IV had almost certainly envisaged a cooperative arrangement, with Richard heading the government but having to work with the Council (which the records show is what happened) and the Woodvilles. It was not to be. Duke Humphrey had been forced to lay down his office in 1429 when Henry VI was crowned, so it seems to have been assumed by the Woodvilles that by getting Edward V crowned before Gloucester got to London they could circumvent a protectorate altogether. On the other hand York had exercised the office of Protector for Henry VI long after his coronation, on the grounds of renewed incapacity, so Richard could have argued that parliament should ratify his tenure of the office until Edward V was properly mature. This was actually the request that the council were planning to put to parliament after Edward's coronation - but that council decision, of course, was made after the Woodville downfall.
I highly recommend Annette's book - it's very cheap and worth its weight in gold.
Marie

2016-03-05 11:14:50
b.eileen25
Most likely, as in most situations, a combination of factors ...including other family members pulling her strings, encouraging her for their own selfish goals combined perhaps with her own greedy self interest to be the mother of a young king who she could be manipulating for the foreseeable future with the wealth and power that position would hopefully carry. The Woodvilles would be the reigning party. Of course quite the opposite happened...ending up living out her days in Bermondsey Abbey...and as clearly can be seen in her will hardly anything left to leave to her family. She even got a cheap funeral..I know it was what she asked for but her family, including her daughter who was a queen could have overlooked this. She was not even given a lead coffin as was customary in those day but just a wooden one. When Edwards tomb was opened later all that remained was her bones and the remains of a wood coffin placed on top of Edwards. These earthly remains of EW apparently vanished before the tomb was resealed probably taken as souvenirs by the many people that visited the tomb to gawd at the remains of Edward and went off clutching strands of his hair...Eileen

2016-03-05 12:01:49
mariewalsh2003

Perhaps it was less greed for personal power at this stage than plain and simple paranoia. Whether it was because of the stories of Edward IV's bastardy or whether she'd heard about the precontract I don't know, but she and her family may genuinely have feared that her children would be set aside if any members of the actual House of York got so much as a seat at the ruling table. Evidently Edward IV hadn't feared that or he wouldn't have written that codicil.

But as somebody has already pointed out, by remaining in sanctuary continuing to plot she destroyed any hope of her son being crowned.

2016-03-05 14:31:47
Doug Stamate
Hi Marie, I've simply left your post intact below, because the only comment I have to add to it is to ask whether or not sheer panic at losing possession of her son, and thus her ace in any negotiations with Richard and the Council, might explain Elizabeth Woodville's actions in seeking sanctuary? Of course, if she was knowledgeable about the preparations for, or even more so an active participant in, some sort of ambush of Richard as he made his way to London, the obvious failure of that enterprise would also explain her panic. I have to admit, however, that why the Woodvilles might have thought it necessary to sideline Richard, either through holding him prisoner or killing him, is something I don't understand. The best I can come up with is projection on their part: Because they wished to shoulder Richard aside and govern without a Protector, they presumed he would try the same and rule without a separate guardian? Greed and power combined?

Doug

(Who will be ordering Annette's book ASAP)

Hi Doug,

Marie

2016-03-05 15:28:37
Hilary Jones
But as Dowager Queen she would have no entitlement to possession of her son(s). Look at Catherine of France - immediately side-lined. Now she might think that if Anthony was on the ruling Council she could use him as a puppet; but it's unlikely that that would be tolerated for very long if people like Hastings and Howard were around. Perhaps one should add to the heading 'or just not very politically astute'? H

To:
Sent: Saturday, 5 March 2016, 14:31

Hi Marie, I've simply left your post intact below, because the only comment I have to add to it is to ask whether or not sheer panic at losing possession of her son, and thus her ace in any negotiations with Richard and the Council, might explain Elizabeth Woodville's actions in seeking sanctuary? Of course, if she was knowledgeable about the preparations for, or even more so an active participant in, some sort of ambush of Richard as he made his way to London, the obvious failure of that enterprise would also explain her panic. I have to admit, however, that why the Woodvilles might have thought it necessary to sideline Richard, either through holding him prisoner or killing him, is something I don't understand. The best I can come up with is projection on their part: Because they wished to shoulder Richard aside and govern without a Protector, they presumed he would try the same and rule without a separate guardian? Greed and power combined? Doug (Who will be ordering Annette's book ASAP) Hi Doug, Perhaps the main thing that emerges from Annette's book is that Protector was not a synonym for regent as is generally supposed (largely thanks to Mancini, an Italian who did not understand the English system). The job, as we all know, was created for Humphrey Duke of Gloucester as a political compromise when Henry V's nomination of him as regent was found unacceptable, and the arrangement was ratified by parliament. The office of Protector had never existed previously so there was no earlier precedent. The arrangement concluded was for a three-way division of responsibility. The Protector was protector of the country, not of the king's person, i.e. he was responsible for defence matters. He was also the chief member of the council but could not rule it like a king. The third body in the picture was the King's actual guardian, responsible for his upbringing and education. This pattern was adhered to in the 1450s, when parliament rejected QM's bid for the regency and chose York as Protector, with QM keeping control of the King's person. York spent a lot of his protectorate out and about putting down disturbances, which was entirely what the job was about. I get the impression that it was generally known that Richard had been named by Edward as Protector, but this did not by any means preclude the Queen and her brother retaining their guardianship of the young king. So Edward IV had almost certainly envisaged a cooperative arrangement, with Richard heading the government but having to work with the Council (which the records show is what happened) and the Woodvilles. It was not to be. Duke Humphrey had been forced to lay down his office in 1429 when Henry VI was crowned, so it seems to have been assumed by the Woodvilles that by getting Edward V crowned before Gloucester got to London they could circumvent a protectorate altogether. On the other hand York had exercised the office of Protector for Henry VI long after his coronation, on the grounds of renewed incapacity, so Richard could have argued that parliament should ratify his tenure of the office until Edward V was properly mature. This was actually the request that the council were planning to put to parliament after Edward's coronation - but that council decision, of course, was made after the Woodville downfall. I highly recommend Annette's book - it's very cheap and worth its weight in gold. Marie

2016-03-05 16:23:43
mariewalsh2003

Agreed,

Going back to the death of Henry V, Queen Catherine was just pushed to one side. There's no doubt that feudal society would have held it proper that Edward should be looked after by his paternal kin, members of the ruling house by blood and not just by marriage. But there were other considerations in this instance. Unlike Henry V, Edward IV died leaving only one surviving brother. In 1422 it had not been thought advisable for Duke Humphrey to have control of the King's upbringing (even Henry V doesn't seem to have envisaged this), so it can't be assumed that Edward IV had envisaged all that power being vested in Richard just because he was the only adult prince of the House of York. The sources we have give no indication that Richard was to be anything other than Protector of the realm. This was an addition to existing arrangements, made by codicil rather than in a new will, so whatever arrangements for his son's upbringing Edward had set out in his existing will still stood. Really, I don't see any reason to suppose that Edward IV envisaged anything other than a continuation of Rivers' role as the boy's guardian. This, I suppose, is why Richard and Rivers seem to have agreed to meet up en route in order to enter London together: the new king with his guardian on one side and the new Protector of the realm on the other.

If Mancini is to be trusted, the Queen's family who were in the capital had attempted to assert their dominance over the Council in the period following Edward's death, which would of itself indicate that they didn't want this control snatched away by Gloucester as Lord Protector. The very early coronation planned suggests that they had hoped to use it in order to prevent Gloucester being recognised as Protector (on the basis of the precedent of 1429). Whether they would have felt they wanted Gloucester at the coronation at all is arguable. Both sides had reasons to make a pre-emptive strike at Northampton, but if you ask me which side struck first then I'd say that the failure of Rivers' party to stick to the promised meeting place is suspicious.

As for why: Underlying it all, I suspect, was mutual fear and mistrust, on the Woodville side because of doubts about the legitimacy of Edward IV's line, and on Richard's because of his belief that the Queen had already successfully engineered the execution of his brother Clarence. The fact that Richard's wife was Warwick's daughter may also have made the Queen jittery, or simply cross.

2016-03-05 16:27:27
b.eileen25
I can't see la Woodville would have had any other motive for rushing pell mell into sanctuary other then the knowledge she had that there had been an assassination plot against Richard onto journey to London..somewhere along the road around Grafton Regis the Woodville stronghold would have been very likely..the Woodvilles...what a nest of vipers,,,! Eileen

2016-03-05 16:45:25
Hilary Jones
It is, I reckon, a headless chicken plot/panic on the part of the Woodvilles which went catastrophically wrong H
(who has also ordered Annette's book)

To:
Sent: Saturday, 5 March 2016, 16:27

I can't see la Woodville would have had any other motive for rushing pell mell into sanctuary other then the knowledge she had that there had been an assassination plot against Richard onto journey to London..somewhere along the road around Grafton Regis the Woodville stronghold would have been very likely..the Woodvilles...what a nest of vipers,,,! Eileen

2016-03-05 18:13:44
b.eileen25
Imagine...how she felt when she heard the sounds of Richard and Anne's coronation...the bells ringing, the crowds cheering....she certainly led a chequered life thats for sure...I suppose many of the main characters of those times did...wonder if she was in the picture about the fates/whereabouts of her sons...would have been preferable to not knowing..,however if she did she took the secret to her grave..doh! Eileen

2016-03-10 13:18:55
Nicholas Brown
There have been some very insightful views on this subject. Actually, I may have been too harsh with my speculation about Elizabeth of York, and it is unlikely that she was involved in a Woodville plot. As for Woodville plots, though, wasn't Anthony pushing for confirmation of his authority (I can't remember the exact position) in the event of Edward IV's death, only weeks before he actually did die? This has been viewed with suspicions that there was a plot to poison Edward. I am sceptical of the poisoning theory, but it shows his arrogance and ambition, which he would have been unwilling to yield to Richard. I can't see that EW would have been left out of a Woodville conspiracy.

Another factor to consider relating to the calculating shrew question was the Earl of Desmond incident. Susan Higginbothom and David Baldwin dismiss the theory about her taking the seal and ordering the Desmond and his sons' execution. However, JA-H and Annette Carson think it is not without credibility. If she did that, and the story about the sons, who were young boys, is true, the Princes in the Tower sounds like a vengeful karma.

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/subpages/elizmyths.htmlhttp://www.richardiii.net/downloads/Ricardian/2005_vol15_Earl_Desmond_Execution.pdf

Finally, there was the Lambert Simnel business. Everything indicates her involvement in something that was contrary to the best interests of Elizabeth of York and Arthur. EW was in a good position in Henry Tudor's court, but it appears that she was gambling for something better, without much consideration for the consequences for at least one of her children. Suggestions that she would have voluntarily relinquished her lands and retired to Bermondsey Abbey in poverty are unconvincing.
Nico

On Saturday, 5 March 2016, 18:13, "cherryripe.eileenb@... []" <> wrote:

Imagine...how she felt when she heard the sounds of Richard and Anne's coronation...the bells ringing, the crowds cheering....she certainly led a chequered life thats for sure...I suppose many of the main characters of those times did...wonder if she was in the picture about the fates/whereabouts of her sons...would have been preferable to not knowing..,however if she did she took the secret to her grave..doh! Eileen

2016-03-16 08:14:30
Paul Trevor Bale
Totally agree Eileen. her behaviour showed how guilty she was of something bad, for me no question that was that she was plotting against Richard so she could become Regent. I also am certain she knew the fate of her sons. After Bosworth if she knew Richard had harmed them she would have shouted about it often and loudly!Paul
On 5 Mar 2016, at 16:27, cherryripe.eileenb@... [] <> wrote:

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.