Under the Hog

Under the Hog

2016-02-01 12:35:28
Jessie Skinner
I just thought I would mention for those who like me haven't yet read it that the book "Under the Hog" by Patrick Carleton is now available in Kindle edition for 99p from Amazon.
Eileen recommended it to me when I first came here but all the second hand editions on Amazon were about £100 !
I have been scouring the second hand book shops for it ever since, (it's a hard life but someone has to do it).
Anyway I have invested my 99p and look forward to reading it shortly.

Jess

Re: Under the Hog

2016-02-01 14:40:20
Hilary Jones
I agree with Eileen I've had it for years. The slight annoyance is that he keeps referring to Richard as a little man. But just hop over that. It's v good. H

To: "" <>
Sent: Monday, 1 February 2016, 12:35
Subject: Under the Hog

I just thought I would mention for those who like me haven't yet read it that the book "Under the Hog" by Patrick Carleton is now available in Kindle edition for 99p from Amazon.
Eileen recommended it to me when I first came here but all the second hand editions on Amazon were about £100 !
I have been scouring the second hand book shops for it ever since, (it's a hard life but someone has to do it).

Jess

2016-02-01 17:28:55
Jessie Skinner
My husband is 5'5" so I don't have a problem with little men as long as they have personality!=
I am looking forward to reading it with such recommendations.

JessFrom: Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... []
Sent: 01/02/2016 14:40
To:
Subject: Re: Under the Hog

I agree with Eileen I've had it for years. The slight annoyance is that he keeps referring to Richard as a little man. But just hop over that. It's v good. H

To: "" <>
Sent: Monday, 1 February 2016, 12:35
Subject: Under the Hog

Jess

2016-02-01 18:30:44
b.eileen25
Under the Hog,,ranks high among my favourites - Daughter of Time, Sunne in Splendour, The White Queen by Lesley J Nickell - and I believe it is probably still one of the finest Ricardian novels written - yes the descriptions of Richard are rather odd..his smallness.. .maybe the author was trying to get across the tenacity of Richard although he was lacking in height? I don't know..it was written in the 1930s ...but for me..the descriptions of Richard and George locked in argument as Richard tries to discover where he has hidden Anne...to Richard and Buckinginham having to deal with a obnoxious British young Edward V at Stony Stratford make up for it....enjoy! Eileen

2016-02-01 18:37:27
b.eileen25
Doh! That should have read 'brattish'..not 'British'..

2016-02-01 23:07:40
justcarol67

Jess wrote :

"I just thought I would mention for those who like me haven't yet read it that the book "Under the Hog" by Patrick Carleton is now available in Kindle edition for 99p from Amazon.
Anyway I have invested my 99p and look forward to reading it shortly."

Carol responds:

I just read it on Kindle and enjoyed most of it . The physical descriptions are a minor annoyance, but there's one important inconsistency in terms of his character traits that I found less easy to tolerate. I don't want to say more for fear of spoilers, but I suspect that other readers besides me had a similar reaction to one particular chapter. Also, if I remember correctly, the author takes one particular habit (playing with his dagger) straight from Polydore Vergil. Oh, well. He did a good job considering the limited sources (and abundant"sources," by which I mean More, Vergil, Shakespeare, and that ilk) available at the time.

Carol
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.