Richard iii Weekend

Richard iii Weekend

2015-07-16 13:12:44
poohlandeva

Hello fello Ricardians, I just have to share with you the wonderful experience I felt this weekend when I finally got to be at the tomb of King Richard. As my husband was ill I have had to put of our planned visit, but he has been home now for four weeks, after twelve weeks in hospital. He has care at home and has reached a point so he can be left for a couple of days, my mother and aunt were keeping an eye on him, so when a tour came he insisted I went. I loved the Battlefield and centre which I have been to before, but the true experience was the visit to Leicester. First we want to the centre, which I have mixed feelings about, then were free to visit the Cathedral. I laid a ring of white roses at the statue, enjoyed some quiet time in the gardens, slowing down my mind as I was over excited with emotion and anticipation. I walked quietly to the Cathedral, took in the beauty and peace and the people, the beautiful colours, the atmosphere, the place just seemed right. I visited the pal that was over with coffin first which was lovely, the modern meeting history, the people who were part of Richard's life, his beloved wife, his brother to whom he was devoted, his mother, and so many others who touched his life and formed his good character. The people involved in his discovery and final journey to rest with dignity and honour, Dr Stone, Philippa Langley and John Ashdown Hill are all together and make a strange trio.

Now I went to the tomb, passing a lovely memorial copy of Richard's book of hours made by local schoolchildren, brightly coloured, which a different page is turning each day, very moving. By now I feel very intense and I am so looking forward to the tomb, but my mind was also blank for a moment. I have to admit that when I first saw the tomb in the atrium area I was stunned, I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful it is in its simplicity. When I first saw the design I did not like it, I am very traditional when it comes to thinking about how a medieval king tomb should look, but bizarrely we have buried Richard in the twenty first century, of course he has a modern tomb. In grew on me and having watched the funeral and looked at the pictures, the tomb has really grown in my heart. You know what, yes, had Richard won Bosworth and gone to have a great tomb in Westminster Abbey, it may have been seriously ornamental with all the heraldry, but I think Richard was in his heart a man who didn't care for all the show, a humble person, he would appreciate a more simple tomb that reflects his Christian faith.

The tomb is beautiful, the stone is lovely to touch, the patterns in the limestone are interesting, you can see different colours and the light from the great east window still danced around the base, the sunlight and natural light complement each other. I felt very peaceful, very connected to Richard at this moment, I was very emotional and the impact too much. I was overwhelmed at one point, I just wanted to pray for Richard and to apologize for the way he was treated over the years, I just wanted to make things right. The site is busy but is so peaceful, yes, everyone took pictures, but with respect and dignity. The grave site is uplifting, the black base and the hereditary give him a sense of the strength that he showed in life, yes it is plain but that is the beauty of this tomb. The fact that the tomb and cross is cut from one piece of stone is amazing, the cross is flooded with the golden light of heaven as the sun shines through the great east window. The love that Richard tried to give those he knew, his family and true friends, the light of his faith and which he tried to bring in England, is reflected in this light. I felt connection with Richard, I laid a hand on the tomb and bid him rest well as I left, he may have rested in Christ for the last 500 years, but now he has a place of honour, where the local people can care for his remains, and where we, and all who love him can visit and know he rests in love with dignity.

Re: Richard iii Weekend

2015-07-16 14:52:15
Pamela Bain

Thank you for sharing your wonderful visit. I think all of us who have not been to Leicester or seen the tomb in person, very much appreciate the details and your take.

I am glad your husband is feeling better. May he regain full health.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:13 AM
To:
Subject: Richard iii Weekend

Hello fello Ricardians, I just have to share with you the wonderful experience I felt this weekend when I finally got to be at the tomb of King Richard. As my husband was ill I have had to put of our planned visit, but he has been home now for four weeks, after twelve weeks in hospital. He has care at home and has reached a point so he can be left for a couple of days, my mother and aunt were keeping an eye on him, so when a tour came he insisted I went. I loved the Battlefield and centre which I have been to before, but the true experience was the visit to Leicester. First we want to the centre, which I have mixed feelings about, then were free to visit the Cathedral. I laid a ring of white roses at the statue, enjoyed some quiet time in the gardens, slowing down my mind as I was over excited with emotion and anticipation. I walked quietly to the Cathedral, took in the beauty and peace and the people, the beautiful colours, the atmosphere, the place just seemed right. I visited the pal that was over with coffin first which was lovely, the modern meeting history, the people who were part of Richard's life, his beloved wife, his brother to whom he was devoted, his mother, and so many others who touched his life and formed his good character. The people involved in his discovery and final journey to rest with dignity and honour, Dr Stone, Philippa Langley and John Ashdown Hill are all together and make a strange trio.

Now I went to the tomb, passing a lovely memorial copy of Richard's book of hours made by local schoolchildren, brightly coloured, which a different page is turning each day, very moving. By now I feel very intense and I am so looking forward to the tomb, but my mind was also blank for a moment. I have to admit that when I first saw the tomb in the atrium area I was stunned, I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful it is in its simplicity. When I first saw the design I did not like it, I am very traditional when it comes to thinking about how a medieval king tomb should look, but bizarrely we have buried Richard in the twenty first century, of course he has a modern tomb. In grew on me and having watched the funeral and looked at the pictures, the tomb has really grown in my heart. You know what, yes, had Richard won Bosworth and gone to have a great tomb in Westminster Abbey, it may have been seriously ornamental with all the heraldry, but I think Richard was in his heart a man who didn't care for all the show, a humble person, he would appreciate a more simple tomb that reflects his Christian faith.

The tomb is beautiful, the stone is lovely to touch, the patterns in the limestone are interesting, you can see different colours and the light from the great east window still danced around the base, the sunlight and natural light complement each other. I felt very peaceful, very connected to Richard at this moment, I was very emotional and the impact too much. I was overwhelmed at one point, I just wanted to pray for Richard and to apologize for the way he was treated over the years, I just wanted to make things right. The site is busy but is so peaceful, yes, everyone took pictures, but with respect and dignity. The grave site is uplifting, the black base and the hereditary give him a sense of the strength that he showed in life, yes it is plain but that is the beauty of this tomb. The fact that the tomb and cross is cut from one piece of stone is amazing, the cross is flooded with the golden light of heaven as the sun shines through the great east window. The love that Richard tried to give those he knew, his family and true friends, the light of his faith and which he tried to bring in England, is reflected in this light. I felt connection with Richard, I laid a hand on the tomb and bid him rest well as I left, he may have rested in Christ for the last 500 years, but now he has a place of honour, where the local people can care for his remains, and where we, and all who love him can visit and know he rests in love with dignity.

2015-07-16 18:32:40
Janjovian
Thank you so much from me too. The funeral of my dear mother in law is next Thursday, so I hope after that life will become more normal after a very distressing few months.
We hope to get to Leicester soon, and your report was a wonderful "taster."

JessFrom: poohlandeva
Sent: 16/07/2015 13:12
To:
Subject: Richard iii Weekend

2015-07-16 20:26:21
Sharon Feely
ΓΏ This is beautiful, thank you so much for sharing. I haven't been yet myself, waiting for the crowds to die down a bit so that I can be in peace with him as I know it will be a very emotional moment for me, just as reading this has been. Best wishes too to your husband and hope for a speedy recovery. Sharon ----- Original Message ----- From: poohlandeva To: Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2015 1:12 PM Subject: Richard iii Weekend

Now I went to the tomb, passing a lovely memorial copy of Richard's book of hours made by local schoolchildren, brightly coloured, which a different page is turning each day, very moving. By now I feel very intense and I am so looking forward to the tomb, but my mind was also blank for a moment. I have to admit that when I first saw the tomb in the atrium area I was stunned, I was pleasantly surprised at how b eautiful it is in its simplicity. When I first saw the design I did not like it, I am very traditional when it comes to thinking about how a medieval king tomb should look, but bizarrely we have buried Richard in the twenty first century, of course he has a modern tomb. In grew on me and having watched the funeral and looked at the pictures, the tomb has really grown in my heart. You know what, yes, had Richard won Bosworth and gone to have a great tomb in Westminster Abbey, it may have been seriously ornamental with all the heraldry, but I think Richard was in his heart a man who didn't care for all the show, a humble person, he would appreciate a more simple tomb that reflects his Christian faith.

The tomb is beautiful, the stone is lovely to touch, the patterns in the limestone are interesting, you can see different colours and the light from the great east window still danced around the base, the sunlight and natura l light complement each other. I felt very peaceful, very connected to Richard at this moment, I was very emotional and the impact too much. I was overwhelmed at one point, I just wanted to pray for Richard and to apologize for the way he was treated over the years, I just wanted to make things right. The site is busy but is so peaceful, yes, everyone took pictures, but with respect and dignity. The grave site is uplifting, the black base and the hereditary give him a sense of the strength that he showed in life, yes it is plain but that is the beauty of this tomb. The fact that the tomb and cross is cut from one piece of stone is amazing, the cross is flooded with the golden light of heaven as the sun shines through the great east window. The love that Richard tried to give those he knew, his family and true friends, the light of his faith and which he tried to bring in England, is reflected in this light. I felt connection with Richard, I l aid a hand on the tomb and bid him rest well as I left, he may have rested in Christ for the last 500 years, but now he has a place of honour, where the local people can care for his remains, and where we, and all who love him can visit and know he rests in love with dignity.

2015-07-17 01:18:42
poohlandeva
Thanks Jess, so sorry for your loss. Prayers and thoughts are with you. Take care.

2015-07-17 11:44:55
Janjovian
And to you. I hope your husband continues to recover.

Jess From: poohlandeva
Sent: 17/07/2015 01:18
To:
Subject: RE: Richard iii Weekend

Thanks Jess, so sorry for your loss. Prayers and thoughts are with you. Take care.

2015-07-17 14:43:29
Nicholas Brown
Thanks from me too for sharing such a lovely tribute to Richard. I wish your husband a speedy recovery. Also, my condolences to Jess.
Nico

On Friday, 17 July 2015, 11:44, "Janjovian janjovian@... []" <> wrote:

And to you. I hope your husband continues to recover.

Jess From: poohlandeva
Sent: 17/07/2015 01:18
To:
Subject: RE: Richard iii Weekend

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.