Crowland, Mancini, etc. and contemporary records

Crowland, Mancini, etc. and contemporary records

2015-07-08 12:10:09
mac.thirty

I have been wondering about the reliability of the few "contemporary" indirect reports of the Crowland chronicle, Mancini's "De occupatione" etc with respect to what we have in terms of contemporary records (I do not even want to take More into consideration, let alone Vergil or the second version of the tudorised Rous).

For example: the Crowland chronicler fans on the rumours that Richard intended to marry his niece EoY, says he was forced to rethink his incestous plans by his council, especially Sir Richard Ratclyffe and William Catesby, for fear of losing the support of his Northern affinity and states

"Besides this, they brought to him more than twelve Doctors of Divinity, who asserted that the pope could grant no dispensation in the case of such a degree of consanguinity."

Is there any trace in contemporary records supporting this statement? I mean, twelve Doctors of Divinity cannot have moved unnoticed. Who were they? Where did they come from, where did they lodge if anywhere?
I recall Marie mentioned the entry in the State Treasury Accounts where Richard allowed to finance Edward Brampton's mission to negotiate the Portoguese marriage "by advice of the council" some 6 days after Anne's death and we have the Court minutes of the Mercer's company dated 31 March 1485 recording Richard's public refutal of the rumours he had poisoned his wife to marry his niece (which Crowland does not seem to take at face value), but is there any record supporting Crowland's description of the events?

Another example: I always found Mancini's story of the friendly dinner in Northampton somehow dubious, did he have the tavern's bill confirming any such dinner occurred?

More in general, have the statements and indirect reports from Crowland and Mancini etc. been sistematically compared with first hand contemporary records (Richard's letters, minutes of the Council, etc.) to separate "the wheat from the chaff" or better facts from biased distortions?

Re: Crowland, Mancini, etc. and contemporary records

2015-07-08 12:48:12
Hilary Jones
I welcome these questions mac, though I won't attempt to answer them. We know the history of this period has been manipulated, but I really do wonder how much; for example so much negative comment survives but very little positive does unless, like the York minutes, it was too far away and unexpected to be patrolled. What's even more worrying is that it has sucked in some of our more thorough historians (I mean people like Ross and even Horrox, not Hicks!). But then I suppose they have always had little else to go on. I get equally concerned though when we seem to get too much. Take the acres on the supposed guilt of Anne Boleyn. Is it there to divert us from other things? There's little doubt that the Tudors were manipulators par excellence because they were so insecure. I don't know what the answer is though, unless that trunk in the attic turns up, or we find something in an obscure archive abroad. H
To:
Sent: Wednesday, 8 July 2015, 12:10
Subject: Crowland, Mancini, etc. and contemporary records

I have been wondering about the reliability of the few "contemporary" indirect reports of the Crowland chronicle, Mancini's "De occupatione" etc with respect to what we have in terms of contemporary records (I do not even want to take More into consideration, let alone Vergil or the second version of the tudorised Rous).
For example: the Crowland chronicler fans on the rumours that Richard intended to marry his niece EoY, says he was forced to rethink his incestous plans by his council, especially Sir Richard Ratclyffe and William Catesby, for fear of losing the support of his Northern affinity and states
"Besides this, they brought to him more than twelve Doctors of Divinity, who asserted that the pope could grant no dispensation in the case of such a degree of consanguinity."
Is there any trace in contemporary records supporting this statement? I mean, twelve Doctors of Divinity cannot have moved unnoticed. Who were they? Where did they come from, where did they lodge if anywhere?
I recall Marie mentioned the entry in the State Treasury Accounts where Richard allowed to finance Edward Brampton's mission to negotiate the Portoguese marriage "by advice of the council" some 6 days after Anne's death and we have the Court minutes of the Mercer's company dated 31 March 1485 recording Richard's public refutal of the rumours he had poisoned his wife to marry his niece (which Crowland does not seem to take at face value), but is there any record supporting Crowland's description of the events?
Another example: I always found Mancini's story of the friendly dinner in Northampton somehow dubious, did he have the tavern's bill confirming any such dinner occurred?
More in general, have the statements and indirect reports from Crowland and Mancini etc. been sistematically compared with first hand contemporary records (Richard's letters, minutes of the Council, etc.) to separate "the wheat from the chaff" or better facts from biased distortions?

2015-07-08 19:41:57
mariewalsh2003

Hi Mac,

You ask a very good question.

Re the payment to Brampton, I didn't exactly find it; it was Barrie Williams, if I recall, who did that. I just used the reference he gave to order a copy from TNA because BW hadn't actually quoted the contents. The source is an Exchequer warrant. I would love some time to go to TNA and study all the Exchequer warrants for Richard's reign but no idea when that might happen. There have been suggestions from time to time that they might be a good subject for a Society transcription project, or at least we could calendar the contents, but nothing has come of it so far.

It would be wonderful to see if we could find a payment for the twelve doctors of divinity! Actually, my thoughts on both the DDs and Ratcliffe and Catesby's fears are set out in a small book on Elizabeth's marriage to HT that I'm working on. I'm hoping to publish as an e-book some time this year.

Marie

2015-07-08 19:59:18
mac.thirty

Dear Marie,

please do let us know when you publish your work and where to purchase it, I can't wait to read it.

Do you want to know MY thoughts on Crowland's story of the 12 doctors of divinity and all the crap about Richard's incestous marriage plans written, as I understand, some 2 years after Richard's death without, as you say, a shred of a council minute, a payment bill for these doctors of divinity, with all real extant contemporary records and evidence pointing the other way, etc.? Well, I guess you can well imagine them...

But the general question is, as I think you understood, have Crowland and Mancini, both working on hearsay, been tested against contemporary records? Has any historian made this exercise? Sistematically? I wish some structured work could be done on this issue, do you not? Mac

2015-07-08 22:37:25
b.eileen25
Interesting points Mac. I've always felt that Croyland was probably one of the most accurate sources but that what comes across is his personal perception of events...his obvious dislike of Richard has coloured his interpretation of stuff...an example being the fun and festivities of Anne and Richard's last Christmas together...he absolutely frowned on the whole thing and made something quite innocent such as the exchange of clothing between Anne and EoY seem ominous with everyone taking it as a sign that Richard planned to replaced Anne wth Elizabeth...and the kitchen maid story...with Anne hiding from Richard, him finding her and then taking her off to sanctuary...because that all makes perfect sense...not!
He did get one thing right though, the alteration of the date Tudor took the throne to before Bosworth so that men who had fought and died for their king became traitors..his shock and horror at this shines through bless him....so I guess he wasn't all bad...Eileen

2015-07-08 23:25:54
mac.thirty

I understand the kitchen maid story was not written by the same man as the one writing about Christmas 1484 and the following tragic months and it did not say it was Anne hiding from Richard it said

" Clarence "caused the damsel (Anne) to be concealed in order that it might not be known by his Brother where she was; as he was afraid of a division of the Earl's property, which he wished to come to himself alone in right of his wife, and not be obliged to share it with any other person." ,

so it was Clarence hiding her away against Anne's will disguised as a kitchen maid, which might be exaggerated (yet who knows, the Cinderella story came later and might have been an echo of this real story...), but is at least consistent with Paston's letter of February 1472 describing how the 2 brothers were still arguing over the marriage and related inheritance - and we all know how it ended up, with the agreement of March 1472 where Richard renounced the titles of Earl of Warwick and Salisbury and related estates among others and relented the office of Great Chamberlain to George, the papal dispensation being issued on 22 April (did not waste time our chap, he must have been eager to marry his girl), a record retrieved by Rosemary Horrox of autumn 1472 which Marie mentioned some time earlier here that describes Richard and Anne as man and wife, etc.

All I am saying is: whatever the "time to market" of both Mancini (the closest one to the events) and the Crowland chronicler, especially the continuator, it's all about biased hearsay and we need to compare their statements with real contemporary records that people wrote for the precise meaning they carried, and not with an intent to educate people on what they should think of the events.

In the case e.g. of Richard and EoY what we really have from the time the events unfolded is:

- Anne's death on 16 March 1485

- Richard financing Brampton's mission to Portugal some 6 days later "on the advice of his council", quite understandably and reasonably and yet it does not sound like someone who could not wait to be rid of his wife

- the Court minutes of the Mercer's company dated 31 March 1485 recording what happened the day before at the assembly in St John's Hospital with Richard's public display of sorrow over his wife's death and refutal of the rumours he had poisoned her to marry his niece

- his orders to arrest anyone spreading such slanders, both on this occasion and over the entire realm, including York where Richard's orders were recorded on 5 April 1485

- the Portoguese records on his negotiations to marry the king's sister Joana and to have EoY marry the king's cousin Manuel

EoY's supposed letter of February 1472 George Buck referred to was never produced, does not seem to point to a mutual interest in any case if she needed to involve a third party to help her, and as Annette Carson quite rightly argued, it can well be interpreted as a plea to the king to think of her marriage in general, not necessarily to him.

Please do correct me if I miss other records on this issue.

And we could play doing the same exercise on a number of other instances.

I only wish someone more competent than me would play this game sistematically and question these sources just like we have finally come to question More, until our common wish that a few more contemporary records show up eventually comes true... Mac

2015-07-09 10:28:43
Hilary Jones
Marie I know this doesn't help all the Exchequer records but for the ones on Brampton during Richard's reign Arthurson quotes from Marques De Sao Paio, A Portuguese Adventurer in the Wars of the Roses (translated Roth) copy of which you probably know is held in the Barton Library? As I say you've probably seen, it but it paints Brampton as an acquisitive unattractive person who did very well indeed out of Richard and was probably a bigamist to boot. I look forward to your book very much. Re Doctors of Divinity (sounds like G & S!) I've found yet another illegitimate bishop - Laurence Booth, Prince Bishop of Durham and half-brother to William Booth Archbishop of York. Add that to John Russell and probably Thomas Rotherham and you begin to get quite a collection. Perhaps it was a career for illegitimate children of the well-to-do since like John Russell they could be 'legitimised' by the Pope? H
To:
Sent: Wednesday, 8 July 2015, 23:25
Subject: Re: Crowland, Mancini, etc. and contemporary records

I understand the kitchen maid story was not written by the same man as the one writing about Christmas 1484 and the following tragic months and it did not say it was Anne hiding from Richard it said
" Clarence "caused the damsel (Anne) to be concealed in order that it might not be known by his Brother where she was; as he was afraid of a division of the Earl's property, which he wished to come to himself alone in right of his wife, and not be obliged to share it with any other person." ,
so it was Clarence hiding her away against Anne's will disguised as a kitchen maid, which might be exaggerated (yet who knows, the Cinderella story came later and might have been an echo of this real story...), but is at least consistent with Paston's letter of February 1472 describing how the 2 brothers were still arguing over the marriage and related inheritance - and we all know how it ended up, with the agreement of March 1472 where Richard renounced the titles of Earl of Warwick and Salisbury and related estates among others and relented the office of Great Chamberlain to George, the papal dispensation being issued on 22 April (did not waste time our chap, he must have been eager to marry his girl), a record retrieved by Rosemary Horrox of autumn 1472 which Marie mentioned some time earlier here that describes Richard and Anne as man and wife, etc.
All I am saying is: whatever the "time to market" of both Mancini (the closest one to the events) and the Crowland chronicler, especially the continuator, it's all about biased hearsay and we need to compare their statements with real contemporary records that people wrote for the precise meaning they carried, and not with an intent to educate people on what they should think of the events.
In the case e.g. of Richard and EoY what we really have from the time the events unfolded is:- Anne's death on 16 March 1485- Richard financing Brampton's mission to Portugal some 6 days later "on the advice of his council", quite understandably and reasonably and yet it does not sound like someone who could not wait to be rid of his wife- the Court minutes of the Mercer's company dated 31 March 1485 recording what happened the day before at the assembly in St John's Hospital with Richard's public display of sorrow over his wife's death and refutal of the rumours he had poisoned her to marry his niece- his orders to arrest anyone spreading such slanders, both on this occasion and over the entire realm, including York where Richard's orders were recorded on 5 April 1485- the Portoguese records on his negotiations to marry the king's sister Joana and to have EoY marry the king's cousin Manuel
EoY's supposed letter of February 1472 George Buck referred to was never produced, does not seem to point to a mutual interest in any case if she needed to involve a third party to help her, and as Annette Carson quite rightly argued, it can well be interpreted as a plea to the king to think of her marriage in general, not necessarily to him.
Please do correct me if I miss other records on this issue. And we could play doing the same exercise on a number of other instances.
I only wish someone more competent than me would play this game sistematically and question these sources just like we have finally come to question More, until our common wish that a few more contemporary records show up eventually comes true... Mac

Illegitimate children and career in the Church (was Crowland, Mancin

2015-07-09 11:13:59
mac.thirty

Hi Hilary, I'm not sure the illegitimate bishops were also Doctors of Divinity and among the ones who were allegedly summoned (by the Crowland continuator?...) to persuade Richard of the unviability of his marriage to EoY, but there are precedents - was not Geoffrey, Henry II's illegitimate son, archbishop of York?

I personally find it a quite hilarious paradox that a father should condemn his illegitimate sons to a life of celibacy after he had practised at least fornication, if not adultery, himself, but since they could not inherit it seems to have been a practical escamotage to let them live a life of comfort. Monastic life probably applied to illegitimate children of the lower classes. Mac

Re: Illegitimate children and career in the Church (was Crowland, Ma

2015-07-09 14:01:48
Hilary Jones
Hi, yes I absolutely agree there isn't necessarily a correlation between the 20 D.Ds in your para 1, though I recall Thomas Rotherham turned hostile at some point? As for being condemned to a life of celebacy; well some of course didn't remain quite that virtuous and perhaps other fathers saw it as a way of atoning through their sons? However, it was probably the route to a good career and education, particularly, if like the Booths, your half-brother could help you on your way. I'm sure Marie is much better on all this than me. I tend to be a bit cynical about the Church, which is wrong, because I'm sure there were some very commited members out there and some would later die for it. If you're still out there Marie, a couple of things re Ingleby the confessor and Bishop. I've been doing a bit of digging in the Registra and Close Rolls. Firstly his name was John and he was a member if the Carthusian Order (not a D.D. or D.Th.) so that fits with your religious order stipulation. Secondly an earlier John Ingleby was a member of the Hospitallers, (interesting re this topic and their later connection with Warbeck) and an even earlier one (Henry) was a prebend of East Harptree in Somerset, Stillington's prebend for a time and the home of the Cholkes and Newtons. He was criticised for pluralism but got away with it. Shall keep digging. H
To:
Sent: Thursday, 9 July 2015, 11:13
Subject: Illegitimate children and career in the Church (was Crowland, Mancini, etc. and contemporary records)

Hi Hilary, I'm not sure the illegitimate bishops were also Doctors of Divinity and among the ones who were allegedly summoned (by the Crowland continuator?...) to persuade Richard of the unviability of his marriage to EoY, but there are precedents - was not Geoffrey, Henry II's illegitimate son, archbishop of York?
I personally find it a quite hilarious paradox that a father should condemn his illegitimate sons to a life of celibacy after he had practised at least fornication, if not adultery, himself, but since they could not inherit it seems to have been a practical escamotage to let them live a life of comfort. Monastic life probably applied to illegitimate children of the lower classes. Mac

2015-07-09 14:48:46
mac.thirty

I said celibacy, not chastity and deliberately so... I'm not so naive... shall we agree in saying that they were unable to build a legitimate family and not entirely out of their own choice? :)

Mac

2015-07-09 15:09:54
Hilary Jones
Indeed :) :)
To:
Sent: Thursday, 9 July 2015, 14:48
Subject: Re: Illegitimate children and career in the Church (was Crowland, Mancini, etc. and contemporary records)

I said celibacy, not chastity and deliberately so... I'm not so naive... shall we agree in saying that they were unable to build a legitimate family and not entirely out of their own choice? :)Mac

2015-07-09 17:49:27
b.eileen25
Ah yes of course Mac!..a gap of about 13 years there...silly me....but having said that and going off a little from your original points I do find the kitchen maid story intriguing. I would love to get to the bottom of it because it could possibly throw a lot of light on Anne's personality. If, for example she had gotten herself away under her own steam from George's clutches would be so different from how she is portrayed in lots of novels, as a bit of a wilting violet..I can't see how George could have hidden her, without her cooperation - especially in disguise - and yet when Richard does find her she goes off quite willingly...IMHO she done a runner from George, got a message to Richard and the rest is of course history! Eileen

2015-07-09 18:11:32
Maria Torres
I, for one, have never considered Anne to be a wilting violet at all - and (people who know me have heard this from me before) even Shakespeare doesn't cast her that way.  She's called "gentle Anne", but pay attention to what he does with her:  practically every other word of the "gentle lady" is a curse; not only that, she's not afraid to spit at Richard or to take his sword, and apparently do try to skewer him with it before allowing flattery to get the better of her.
Mariaejbronte@...
On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 12:49 PM, cherryripe.eileenb@... [] <> wrote:

Ah yes of course Mac!..a gap of about 13 years there...silly me....but having said that and going off a little from your original points I do find the kitchen maid story intriguing. I would love to get to the bottom of it because it could possibly throw a lot of light on Anne's personality.  If, for example she had gotten herself away under her own steam from George's clutches would be so different from how she is portrayed in lots of novels, as a bit of a wilting violet..I can't see how George could have hidden her, without her cooperation - especially in disguise - and yet when Richard does find her she goes off quite willingly...IMHO she done a runner from George, got a message to Richard and the rest is of course history!  Eileen 

2015-07-09 19:57:12
mariewalsh2003
Hilary wrote:"Marie I know this doesn't help all the Exchequer records but for the ones on Brampton during Richard's reign Arthurson quotes from Marques De Sao Paio, A Portuguese Adventurer in the Wars of the Roses (translated Roth) copy of which you probably know is held in the Barton Library? As I say you've probably seen, it but it paints Brampton as an acquisitive unattractive person who did very well indeed out of Richard and was probably a bigamist to boot."
Marie replies:I would highly recommend you loan the paper out, Hilary, and read it for yourself. If that's what Arthurson said about it then he was fantasizing. I've just skimmed over the paper again and there's no suggestion in it that I can see that Brampton was a bigamist, although his parents may have been married to people other than each other. Brampton's first wife, Isabel Peche, had certainly died by 1480, well before he is recorded with his 2nd wife, Margaret Beaumont [?]. Brampton did well out of both Edward IV and Richard, as the paper shows, and the Marques' view of him is of course coloured by the fact that he believed that he was doing well out of the man who had murdered his nephews in order to be king. If you're interested in Brampton, as you know there are quite a few papers on him in the Barton Library.
Hilary wrote:I look forward to your book very much. Re Doctors of Divinity (sounds like G & S!) I've found yet another illegitimate bishop - Laurence Booth, Prince Bishop of Durham and half-brother to William Booth Archbishop of York. Add that to John Russell and probably Thomas Rotherham and you begin to get quite a collection. Perhaps it was a career for illegitimate children of the well-to-do since like John Russell they could be 'legitimised' by the Pope?
Marie:Thanks for the interest in the Tudor marriage book. Re the illegitimate bishops, I know Laurence Booth was illegitimate but would question whether Russell and Rotherham were. Bastards were actually barred from the priesthood and so had to get a dispensation from that before they could take Holy Orders (I don't think this legitimised them, just enabled them to take orders - you know, like a marriage dispensation for second cousins didn't stop them being second cousins). We know about Laurence Booth's bastardy because that dispensation exists. Would you possibly be able to give me your sources for the bastardy of Russell/ Rotherham as I'd be interested?

2015-07-09 23:45:28
mariewalsh2003

Hilary wrote:

If you're still out there Marie, a couple of things re Ingleby the confessor and Bishop. I've been doing a bit of digging in the Registra and Close Rolls. Firstly his name was John and he was a member if the Carthusian Order (not a D.D. or D.Th.) so that fits with your religious order stipulation. Secondly an earlier John Ingleby was a member of the Hospitallers, (interesting re this topic and their later connection with Warbeck) and an even earlier one (Henry) was a prebend of East Harptree in Somerset, Stillington's prebend for a time and the home of the Cholkes and Newtons. He was criticised for pluralism but got away with it. Shall keep digging.

Marie replies:

Yes, we got quite a long way last time round with John Ingleby's church career - it was just the proof that he was the same John Ingleby who had been married to Margery Strangeways that was lacking. I've taken a look at the ODNB article and it suggests that no definitive proof has been found - he "may" have been the same man, although apparently his arms show he belonged to the same family. If so, then there would seem to be a slight discrepancy because surely when he became a bishop he re-entered the world? I imagine his wife was dead by that time, but can you be allowed to undie? I suspect the source for the career move (and for John husband of William and Joan being an only child) is a 16th or 17th century visitation. There's a reference to a chaplain named John Ingleby in 1453 (patent rolls), four years before the death of Margery's husband John. Anyway, this is what the ODNB piece says:-

" Ingleby, John (1434?1499), bishop of Llandaff, came of the distinguished family of Ingleby of Yorkshire. He may have been the only son of Sir William Ingleby of Ripley and Joan, daughter of Sir Brian Stapleton of Carlton, in which case he was born on 7 July 1434, married Margery, daughter of Sir James Strangways of Harsley, and died' (when he became a monk) on 21 September 1457. He was ordained subdeacon and deacon as a monk of Mount Grace, Yorkshire, a Charterhouse with which his family was closely connected, in 1457. He was elected prior of Hinton, Somerset, in 14767, but the Carthusian general chapter of 1477 refused to confirm his election and appointed him rector only. After he was elected prior of Sheen in 1477, the general chapter confirmed him as prior between 1478 and 1496, appointed and confirmed him as first visitor of the English province between 1478 and 1496, and made him a diffinitor of the general chapter in 14878 and 149091. As prior of Sheen he was among the co-founders of the Guild of St Mary, Bagshot, in 1480.
Ingleby acquired the confidence of kings and queens who with increasing regularity attended services at Sheen throughout his time there. Edward IV's queen, Elizabeth, who gained permission from Pope Sixtus IV (r. 147184) to attend services at Sheen in 1479, made him the first of three executors in 1492. Henry VII asked him to deliver to Pope Innocent VIII (r. 148492) a letter dated 10 February 1490, in which he extolled the Carthusians above the Cistercians and referred to Ingleby as his captain and envoy'. Henry also appointed him to oversee the works, which, between 1495 and 1499, transformed the manor house of Sheen into the palace of Richmond. At Henry's request he was provided to the see of Llandaff by Pope Alexander VI (r. 14921503) on 27 June 1496. He continued to be active in Carthusian affairs, however, visiting Sheen on 28 October 1496 when he probably presented to his successor, Ralph Tracy, a copy of Chrysostom's Homilies on St John. Such a visit, combined with his works at Richmond, make it likely that he was usually a non-resident bishop, but since his diocese does not appear to have suffered from his absences, it may be assumed that he took steps to ensure continuity of administration. Ingleby's episcopal register and seal have been lost, although his armorial bearings have survived as those of his family: sable, an estoile argent. According to the acts of the general chapter and a brass inscription from Sheen, he died on 7 September 1499.
W. N. M. Beckett

Sources J. Foster, ed., Pedigrees of the county families of Yorkshire, 1 (1874) · J. Hogg and others, eds., The chartae of the Carthusian general chapter, Analecta Cartusiana, 100/124 (198294) · W. N. M. Beckett, Sheen Charterhouse from its foundation to its dissolution', DPhil diss., U. Oxf., 1992 · C. B. Rowntree, Studies in Carthusian history in later medieval England', DPhil diss., York University, 1981 · J. Hogg, The pre-Reformation priors of the Provincia Angliae', Analecta Cartusiana, new ser., 1 (1989), 2559 · L. Le Vasseur, Ephemerides ordinis cartusiensis, 3 (1891) · J. Page-Phillips, Palimpsests: the backs of monumental brasses, 2 vols. (1980) · Chancery records · TNA: PRO, exchequer, accounts various, E101 · CSP Venice, 12021509 · W. de Gray Birch, Memorials of the see and cathedral of Llandaff (1912) · D. H. Williams, A catalogue of Welsh ecclesiastical seals, as known down to AD 1600, part 1: episcopal seals', Archaeologia Cambrensis, 133 (1984), 10035

Archives Gon. & Caius Cam., MS 732/771 · Jesus College, Cambridge, MS Q. A. 12 · TNA: PRO, E101"

2015-07-10 07:06:55
Hilary Jones
The other odd bit about this story is St Martin Le Grand. Now, from my Stillington studies (sorry!) it appears to have been a sort of independent sanctuary for scoundrels. Why on earth would Richard take her there when the Minories 'retirement home' for genteel women was just up the road? Imagine what Cis would say about a future daughter in law lodging at St Martin's. It's almost as if someone chose St Martin's because of its proximity to Baynard's Castle and they didn't really know what it was, or they just chose it because it was a sort of sanctuary. And actually we all know how well Edward regarded sanctuary.
As for George, what did he stand to gain from hiding her in London - an eventual thump in the face from Edward or Richard for being so stupid? Sorry, Richard would never do anything like that, just give him a withering look :).
To:
Sent: Thursday, 9 July 2015, 18:10
Subject: Re: Re: Crowland, Mancini, etc. and contemporary records

I, for one, have never considered Anne to be a wilting violet at all - and (people who know me have heard this from me before) even Shakespeare doesn't cast her that way. She's called "gentle Anne", but pay attention to what he does with her: practically every other word of the "gentle lady" is a curse; not only that, she's not afraid to spit at Richard or to take his sword, and apparently do try to skewer him with it before allowing flattery to get the better of her.
Mariaejbronte@...

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 12:49 PM, cherryripe.eileenb@... [] <> wrote:
Ah yes of course Mac!..a gap of about 13 years there...silly me....but having said that and going off a little from your original points I do find the kitchen maid story intriguing. I would love to get to the bottom of it because it could possibly throw a lot of light on Anne's personality. If, for example she had gotten herself away under her own steam from George's clutches would be so different from how she is portrayed in lots of novels, as a bit of a wilting violet..I can't see how George could have hidden her, without her cooperation - especially in disguise - and yet when Richard does find her she goes off quite willingly...IMHO she done a runner from George, got a message to Richard and the rest is of course history! Eileen

2015-07-10 07:12:15
Hilary Jones
Hi Marie, I thought you would have read it. Arthurson's source for the bigamy thing he says came from his discussions with Rosemary Horrox.
Russell I stumbled upon a couple of years' ago in the Lateran Registra - the Pope issues him with a dispensation. I've got to rush off to work now but I'll look it up for you. Rotherham there seems to be a lot of debate about, particularly regarding his relationship to the Scot family. If he was indeed their bastard it makes his actions quite interesting. H
To:
Sent: Thursday, 9 July 2015, 19:57

Hilary wrote:"Marie I know this doesn't help all the Exchequer records but for the ones on Brampton during Richard's reign Arthurson quotes from Marques De Sao Paio, A Portuguese Adventurer in the Wars of the Roses (translated Roth) copy of which you probably know is held in the Barton Library? As I say you've probably seen, it but it paints Brampton as an acquisitive unattractive person who did very well indeed out of Richard and was probably a bigamist to boot."
Marie replies:I would highly recommend you loan the paper out, Hilary, and read it for yourself. If that's what Arthurson said about it then he was fantasizing. I've just skimmed over the paper again and there's no suggestion in it that I can see that Brampton was a bigamist, although his parents may have been married to people other than each other. Brampton's first wife, Isabel Peche, had certainly died by 1480, well before he is recorded with his 2nd wife, Margaret Beaumont [?]. Brampton did well out of both Edward IV and Richard, as the paper shows, and the Marques' view of him is of course coloured by the fact that he believed that he was doing well out of the man who had murdered his nephews in order to be king. If you're interested in Brampton, as you know there are quite a few papers on him in the Barton Library.
Hilary wrote:I look forward to your book very much. Re Doctors of Divinity (sounds like G & S!) I've found yet another illegitimate bishop - Laurence Booth, Prince Bishop of Durham and half-brother to William Booth Archbishop of York. Add that to John Russell and probably Thomas Rotherham and you begin to get quite a collection. Perhaps it was a career for illegitimate children of the well-to-do since like John Russell they could be 'legitimised' by the Pope?
Marie:Thanks for the interest in the Tudor marriage book. Re the illegitimate bishops, I know Laurence Booth was illegitimate but would question whether Russell and Rotherham were. Bastards were actually barred from the priesthood and so had to get a dispensation from that before they could take Holy Orders (I don't think this legitimised them, just enabled them to take orders - you know, like a marriage dispensation for second cousins didn't stop them being second cousins). We know about Laurence Booth's bastardy because that dispensation exists. Would you possibly be able to give me your sources for the bastardy of Russell/ Rotherham as I'd be interested?

2015-07-10 07:23:40
Hilary Jones
Thanks Marie. What actually is intrigues me is the gap between 1483 and 1496 and why Henry trusted him. Whether he was 'the' John Ingleby or not Stillington does seem to be related to them through the Holme connection - two earlier Inglebys married a Holme and Stillington was related to the Holme family through his mother. The Constables also owned land at Holme, so that explains their connection.
What it says to me is that there are potentially two other people - Sir John Newton and 'Prior Ingleby' who could be candidates for telling Stillington about the Pre-Contract rather than the oft-speculated Catesby. And William Ingleby, Sir John's son, was one of Richard's Squires of the Body. But, as you would be quick to point out, it has to be proven. But so does the Catesby theory and the claim that Stillington witnessed it himself. H
To:
Sent: Thursday, 9 July 2015, 23:45
Subject: Re: Illegitimate children and career in the Church (was Crowland, Mancini, etc. and contemporary records)

Hilary wrote:If you're still out there Marie, a couple of things re Ingleby the confessor and Bishop. I've been doing a bit of digging in the Registra and Close Rolls. Firstly his name was John and he was a member if the Carthusian Order (not a D.D. or D.Th.) so that fits with your religious order stipulation. Secondly an earlier John Ingleby was a member of the Hospitallers, (interesting re this topic and their later connection with Warbeck) and an even earlier one (Henry) was a prebend of East Harptree in Somerset, Stillington's prebend for a time and the home of the Cholkes and Newtons. He was criticised for pluralism but got away with it. Shall keep digging.
Marie replies:Yes, we got quite a long way last time round with John Ingleby's church career - it was just the proof that he was the same John Ingleby who had been married to Margery Strangeways that was lacking. I've taken a look at the ODNB article and it suggests that no definitive proof has been found - he "may" have been the same man, although apparently his arms show he belonged to the same family. If so, then there would seem to be a slight discrepancy because surely when he became a bishop he re-entered the world? I imagine his wife was dead by that time, but can you be allowed to undie? I suspect the source for the career move (and for John husband of William and Joan being an only child) is a 16th or 17th century visitation. There's a reference to a chaplain named John Ingleby in 1453 (patent rolls), four years before the death of Margery's husband John. Anyway, this is what the ODNB piece says:-
" Ingleby, John (1434?1499), bishop of Llandaff, came of the distinguished family of Ingleby of Yorkshire. He may have been the only son of Sir William Ingleby of Ripley and Joan, daughter of Sir Brian Stapleton of Carlton, in which case he was born on 7 July 1434, married Margery, daughter of Sir James Strangways of Harsley, and died' (when he became a monk) on 21 September 1457. He was ordained subdeacon and deacon as a monk of Mount Grace, Yorkshire, a Charterhouse with which his family was closely connected, in 1457. He was elected prior of Hinton, Somerset, in 14767, but the Carthusian general chapter of 1477 refused to confirm his election and appointed him rector only. After he was elected prior of Sheen in 1477, the general chapter confirmed him as prior between 1478 and 1496, appointed and confirmed him as first visitor of the English province between 1478 and 1496, and made him a diffinitor of the general chapter in 14878 and 149091. As prior of Sheen he was among the co-founders of the Guild of St Mary, Bagshot, in 1480.
Ingleby acquired the confidence of kings and queens who with increasing regularity attended services at Sheen throughout his time there. Edward IV's queen, Elizabeth, who gained permission from Pope Sixtus IV (r. 147184) to attend services at Sheen in 1479, made him the first of three executors in 1492. Henry VII asked him to deliver to Pope Innocent VIII (r. 148492) a letter dated 10 February 1490, in which he extolled the Carthusians above the Cistercians and referred to Ingleby as his captain and envoy'. Henry also appointed him to oversee the works, which, between 1495 and 1499, transformed the manor house of Sheen into the palace of Richmond. At Henry's request he was provided to the see of Llandaff by Pope Alexander VI (r. 14921503) on 27 June 1496. He continued to be active in Carthusian affairs, however, visiting Sheen on 28 October 1496 when he probably presented to his successor, Ralph Tracy, a copy of Chrysostom's Homilies on St John. Such a visit, combined with his works at Richmond, make it likely that he was usually a non-resident bishop, but since his diocese does not appear to have suffered from his absences, it may be assumed that he took steps to ensure continuity of administration. Ingleby's episcopal register and seal have been lost, although his armorial bearings have survived as those of his family: sable, an estoile argent. According to the acts of the general chapter and a brass inscription from Sheen, he died on 7 September 1499.
W. N. M. Beckett Sources J. Foster, ed., Pedigrees of the county families of Yorkshire, 1 (1874) · J. Hogg and others, eds., The chartae of the Carthusian general chapter, Analecta Cartusiana, 100/124 (198294) · W. N. M. Beckett, Sheen Charterhouse from its foundation to its dissolution', DPhil diss., U. Oxf., 1992 · C. B. Rowntree, Studies in Carthusian history in later medieval England', DPhil diss., York University, 1981 · J. Hogg, The pre-Reformation priors of the Provincia Angliae', Analecta Cartusiana, new ser., 1 (1989), 2559 · L. Le Vasseur, Ephemerides ordinis cartusiensis, 3 (1891) · J. Page-Phillips, Palimpsests: the backs of monumental brasses, 2 vols. (1980) · Chancery records · TNA: PRO, exchequer, accounts various, E101 · CSP Venice, 12021509 · W. de Gray Birch, Memorials of the see and cathedral of Llandaff (1912) · D. H. Williams, A catalogue of Welsh ecclesiastical seals, as known down to AD 1600, part 1: episcopal seals', Archaeologia Cambrensis, 133 (1984), 10035 Archives Gon. & Caius Cam., MS 732/771 · Jesus College, Cambridge, MS Q. A. 12 · TNA: PRO, E101"

2015-07-10 07:57:02
Hilary Jones
Hi Marie, Should be at work now but have just found M John Ingleby, son of John Ingleby being admitted to the freedom of the City of York in 31HenryVI - so it looks like his son (not on Visitations of course) H
To: "" <>
Sent: Friday, 10 July 2015, 7:23

Thanks Marie. What actually is intrigues me is the gap between 1483 and 1496 and why Henry trusted him. Whether he was 'the' John Ingleby or not Stillington does seem to be related to them through the Holme connection - two earlier Inglebys married a Holme and Stillington was related to the Holme family through his mother. The Constables also owned land at Holme, so that explains their connection.
What it says to me is that there are potentially two other people - Sir John Newton and 'Prior Ingleby' who could be candidates for telling Stillington about the Pre-Contract rather than the oft-speculated Catesby. And William Ingleby, Sir John's son, was one of Richard's Squires of the Body. But, as you would be quick to point out, it has to be proven. But so does the Catesby theory and the claim that Stillington witnessed it himself. H

To:
Sent: Thursday, 9 July 2015, 23:45

Hilary wrote:If you're still out there Marie, a couple of things re Ingleby the confessor and Bishop. I've been doing a bit of digging in the Registra and Close Rolls. Firstly his name was John and he was a member if the Carthusian Order (not a D.D. or D.Th.) so that fits with your religious order stipulation. Secondly an earlier John Ingleby was a member of the Hospitallers, (interesting re this topic and their later connection with Warbeck) and an even earlier one (Henry) was a prebend of East Harptree in Somerset, Stillington's prebend for a time and the home of the Cholkes and Newtons. He was criticised for pluralism but got away with it. Shall keep digging.
Marie replies:Yes, we got quite a long way last time round with John Ingleby's church career - it was just the proof that he was the same John Ingleby who had been married to Margery Strangeways that was lacking. I've taken a look at the ODNB article and it suggests that no definitive proof has been found - he "may" have been the same man, although apparently his arms show he belonged to the same family. If so, then there would seem to be a slight discrepancy because surely when he became a bishop he re-entered the world? I imagine his wife was dead by that time, but can you be allowed to undie? I suspect the source for the career move (and for John husband of William and Joan being an only child) is a 16th or 17th century visitation. There's a reference to a chaplain named John Ingleby in 1453 (patent rolls), four years before the death of Margery's husband John. Anyway, this is what the ODNB piece says:-
W. N. M. Beckett Sources J. Foster, ed., Pedigrees of the county families of Yorkshire, 1 (1874) · J. Hogg and others, eds., The chartae of the Carthusian general chapter, Analecta Cartusiana, 100/124 (198294) · W. N. M. Beckett, Sheen Charterhouse from its foundation to its dissolution', DPhil diss., U. Oxf., 1992 · C. B. Rowntree, Studies in Carthusian history in later medieval England', DPhil diss., York University, 1981 · J. Hogg, The pre-Reformation priors of the Provincia Angliae', Analecta Cartusiana, new ser., 1 (1989), 2559 · L. Le Vasseur, Ephemerides ordinis cartusiensis, 3 (1891) · J. Page-Phillips, Palimpsests: the backs of monumental brasses, 2 vols. (1980) · Chancery records · TNA: PRO, exchequer, accounts various, E101 · CSP Venice, 12021509 · W. de Gray Birch, Memorials of the see and cathedral of Llandaff (1912) · D. H. Williams, A catalogue of Welsh ecclesiastical seals, as known down to AD 1600, part 1: episcopal seals', Archaeologia Cambrensis, 133 (1984), 10035 Archives Gon. & Caius Cam., MS 732/771 · Jesus College, Cambridge, MS Q. A. 12 · TNA: PRO, E101"

2015-07-10 09:09:02
mac.thirty

Hi Hilary - Re St Martin Le Grand, I once read it was under the jurisdiction of George Neville Archbishop of York, Anne's uncle, which would make it a more than safe place for his niece, and I am sure rooms removed from the scoundrels' ones could be arranged, but I confess I might be confusing fiction with non fiction books.

Edward was somehow backing up Richard in his marriage plans, sanctuary was meant to protect Anne from George, who was certainly "ruthless in his acquisitiveness" as others have branded Richard, but does not seem to have ever been described as disrepectful of the Church, so under these circumstances I do not see anything strange in it.

With respect to Paston's letter, stating the two brothers were still arguing over marriage and inheritance in February 1472, I would hardly expect Richard would have let Anne be his brother's hostage until the end of the dispute so as to weaken his position in the negotiations. Wherever Anne was in February 1472 and until her wedding, I tend to agree that she was no longer in George's household, nor in Richard's. Mac

2015-07-10 11:15:52
mariewalsh2003
Hilary wrote:Hi Marie, I thought you would have read it. Arthurson's source for the bigamy thing he says came from his discussions with Rosemary Horrox.

Marie replies:As I think I said on the forum before (not that it would be reasonable for me to expect you to remember), I didn't get on with Arthurson's book when I started reading it - poor English and a lot of statements that are not as sound as they appear - so I put it back on the bookshelf. I will have to go through it properly when and if I ever write about PW, but that's not on my current agenda. I had the impression from your last post that all these accusations against Brampton were supposed to have come from the Marques de Sao Paio. I've now pulled Arthurson's book off my shelf and I see that all he says is that the death of Brampton's first wife, Isabel Peche, has merely been assumed, followed by: "He may have been a bigamist." then the reference number, which takes you to conversations with Rosemary Horrox as his source. I'm quite sure Rosemary Horrox is too sober an historian to have started suggesting bigamy on such flimsy grounds (interesting that Horrox has made no such claims in print), and I rather imagine the conversation would have gone something like:RH: "Well, we assume Isabel Peche was dead by 1480 - we don't actually have the documentary evidence."IA: "Oh, so his second marriage may have been bigamous?!"RH: "We-ell, I suppose so, but....."Frankly, it's about on the level of Hicks' incest accusations against Richard, isn't it? The deaths of women who predeceased their husbands at that level of society often didn't leave much trace, and we don't even have published IPMs for that period. My guess is that, just as we have found no record of her death, nobody has found any evidence that she was alive after that date either.
Hilary wrote:Russell I stumbled upon a couple of years' ago in the Lateran Registra - the Pope issues him with a dispensation. I've got to rush off to work now but I'll look it up for you. Rotherham there seems to be a lot of debate about, particularly regarding his relationship to the Scot family. If he was indeed their bastard it makes his actions quite interesting. H

Marie replies:

Look forward to the Russell dispensation (could you possibly provide reference) - there's no suggestion of illegitimacy in his ODNB article.

2015-07-10 11:19:08
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

I agree the Catesby as precontract source theory has little going for it. What would be nice would be direct evidence that Stillington was in personal touch with the suspected source.

2015-07-10 11:43:25
mariewalsh2003
Hilary wrote:The other odd bit about this story is St Martin Le Grand. Now, from my Stillington studies (sorry!) it appears to have been a sort of independent sanctuary for scoundrels. Why on earth would Richard take her there when the Minories 'retirement home' for genteel women was just up the road? Imagine what Cis would say about a future daughter in law lodging at St Martin's. It's almost as if someone chose St Martin's because of its proximity to Baynard's Castle and they didn't really know what it was, or they just chose it because it was a sort of sanctuary. And actually we all know how well Edward regarded sanctuary.As for George, what did he stand to gain from hiding her in London - an eventual thump in the face from Edward or Richard for being so stupid? Sorry, Richard would never do anything like that, just give him a withering look :).
Marie replies:Not sure what you mean by an "independent" sanctuary. It was a royal foundation, a royal free chapel with a college of priests, but it was one of the places that had a papal charter establishing it as bona fide sanctuary - in the 15th century you couldn't just wander into any church and claim sanctuary as the Lancastrians found after Tewkesbury. There were only two 'good sanctuaries' in the London area - St Martin's and Westminster. All sanctuaries were mainly full of scoundrels, of course, but I'm sure Anne Neville wouldn't have been housed amongst them any more than Elizabeth Woodville would have lived in the sanctuary house at Westminster. Folk of gentle birth expected better and seem to have muscled in on accommodation meant for the top clergy. St Martins certainly wasn't considered too rough for people - even women - of status. York's chamberlain Sir William Oldhall took refuge there in the 1450s, and after Barnet the Earl of Oxford's wife was there too (this is in the Paston Letters). So if Richard placed Anne at St Martins it seems she would have had an aunt there to take care of her.Why wouldn't he take her to the Minories? Because it wasn't good sanctuary. Also, since Richard had found Anne and, as Clarence would have put it, abducted her, he needed to place her out of his own reach as well as Clarence's or Clarence would be bleating about it being a forced, and therefore void, marriage (which he did anyway).

2015-07-10 17:20:33
mac.thirty

I did not know the Earl of Oxford's wife was also at St Martin, that's interesting, Marie! And of course George's allegation of Richard abducting and forcing Anne to marry him is also consistant with Richard's choice to place her in a safe neutral place and makes that part of the Crowland chronicle closer to the actual events than the continuator's one.

Taking a step back, I have been thinking on how the Crowland continuator claims he knows everything about what was going at court and in the King's council, where they supposedly invited more than a dozen nameless Doctors of Divinity to dissuade Richard from marrying EoY, yet the same continuator fails to mention anything about the Portoguese negotiations that are the only real records from the time.

It seems pretty clear to me that whoever he was or his source was, he was not privy to anyone close to the king, had no idea of what had been really going on in the council during those fatal days and was only further blackening Richard's reputation to the benefit of the new establishment, building up castles out of the very thin air of the wicked gossip that Richard felt sorrowfully forced to publicly refute on 30 March 1485.

I hate to sound repetitive, but every statement written after Richard's death about what was going on during his reign needs to be taken with a pinch of salt and tested against the actual records of the time. Mac

2015-07-11 09:11:35
Hilary Jones
I agree. But this would make John Stillington priest brother-in-law to Katherine Stillington (and brother to Richard's Squire of the Body, not that it's likely he would break the confessional to him). Similarly, by the 1470s Stillington's grandaughters were under the guardianship of Richard Cholke (his Will) and either married to, or about to marry Sir John Newton's children. And both were religious enough to be disturbed by the events of 1483 if they indeed did know about Eleanor (and Stillington was Newton's Bishop). So with me the jury is out on both of them, with a proviso about Newton's so-called Tudor descent versus the Ingleby family's Yorkist leanings. By the way, forgot to say, the John Ingleby admitted to the Freedom of York was 'clericus' so the 'M' can't have been a mistake.H
To:
Sent: Friday, 10 July 2015, 11:19

Hi Hilary,I agree the Catesby as precontract source theory has little going for it. What would be nice would be direct evidence that Stillington was in personal touch with the suspected source.

2015-07-11 09:22:40
Hilary Jones
Good point about George Neville. I must explore. My readings were about when Stillington was Dean in 1458. I wouldn't dispute that George and Richard argued over the lands; arguing about lands seemed to be the national pastime then, hence the vast number of lawyers and lawsuits, but I still don't understand what he'd achieve by hiding her except to prolong the discussions. Easier to make her take vows and renounce her earlthly lands I have to admit, and I know I'm in the minority, that I think George has been maligned almost as much as Richard. Yes, he appears to have done some stupid things, but we don't really know the background because so much is missing. And, as I've said a million times, he's still held in affectionate popular memory here in Warwickshire. Talking of fiction though, George Neville is always portrayed as the grasping baddie too. Does anyone know why? H
To:
Sent: Friday, 10 July 2015, 9:09

Hi Hilary - Re St Martin Le Grand, I once read it was under the jurisdiction of George Neville Archbishop of York, Anne's uncle, which would make it a more than safe place for his niece, and I am sure rooms removed from the scoundrels' ones could be arranged, but I confess I might be confusing fiction with non fiction books.
Edward was somehow backing up Richard in his marriage plans, sanctuary was meant to protect Anne from George, who was certainly "ruthless in his acquisitiveness" as others have branded Richard, but does not seem to have ever been described as disrepectful of the Church, so under these circumstances I do not see anything strange in it.
With respect to Paston's letter, stating the two brothers were still arguing over marriage and inheritance in February 1472, I would hardly expect Richard would have let Anne be his brother's hostage until the end of the dispute so as to weaken his position in the negotiations. Wherever Anne was in February 1472 and until her wedding, I tend to agree that she was no longer in George's household, nor in Richard's. Mac

2015-07-11 09:31:03
Hilary Jones
Hi Marie, Russell I'll look up for you this weekend. I agree Arthurson is a difficult book and it has no index which is a real pig. To be fair he cites San Paio when he is illustrating how much Richard spent on Brampton and to back up his point that Brampton was a manipulative and acquisitve person (well weren't they all then). I suppose I turn to it because it's one of the few books which examines the international political scene which so often gets neglected. It's surprising how many supposedly reputed historians of this era never even go there, yet you'd never dream of doing a work on Disraeli without discussing his foreign policy. And also, he never really takes sides because he's not writing about that. So it's refreshing. But hard (and boring at times)yes. H
To:
Sent: Friday, 10 July 2015, 11:15

Hilary wrote:Hi Marie, I thought you would have read it. Arthurson's source for the bigamy thing he says came from his discussions with Rosemary Horrox.

Marie replies:As I think I said on the forum before (not that it would be reasonable for me to expect you to remember), I didn't get on with Arthurson's book when I started reading it - poor English and a lot of statements that are not as sound as they appear - so I put it back on the bookshelf. I will have to go through it properly when and if I ever write about PW, but that's not on my current agenda. I had the impression from your last post that all these accusations against Brampton were supposed to have come from the Marques de Sao Paio. I've now pulled Arthurson's book off my shelf and I see that all he says is that the death of Brampton's first wife, Isabel Peche, has merely been assumed, followed by: "He may have been a bigamist." then the reference number, which takes you to conversations with Rosemary Horrox as his source. I'm quite sure Rosemary Horrox is too sober an historian to have started suggesting bigamy on such flimsy grounds (interesting that Horrox has made no such claims in print), and I rather imagine the conversation would have gone something like:RH: "Well, we assume Isabel Peche was dead by 1480 - we don't actually have the documentary evidence."IA: "Oh, so his second marriage may have been bigamous?!"RH: "We-ell, I suppose so, but....."Frankly, it's about on the level of Hicks' incest accusations against Richard, isn't it? The deaths of women who predeceased their husbands at that level of society often didn't leave much trace, and we don't even have published IPMs for that period. My guess is that, just as we have found no record of her death, nobody has found any evidence that she was alive after that date either.
Hilary wrote:Russell I stumbled upon a couple of years' ago in the Lateran Registra - the Pope issues him with a dispensation. I've got to rush off to work now but I'll look it up for you. Rotherham there seems to be a lot of debate about, particularly regarding his relationship to the Scot family. If he was indeed their bastard it makes his actions quite interesting. H
Marie replies:Look forward to the Russell dispensation (could you possibly provide reference) - there's no suggestion of illegitimacy in his ODNB article.

Re: Crowland, Mancini, etc. andcontemporary records

2015-07-11 16:14:13
Doug Stamate
Hilary wrote:
//snip// I get equally concerned though when we seem to get too much. Take the acres on the supposed guilt of Anne Boleyn. Is it there to divert us from other things? There's little doubt that the Tudors were manipulators par excellence because they were so insecure. //snip// Doug here": It's my personal opinion that Anne was killed because Henry wanted a son, Anne hadn't provided him with one, Henry was in love with Jane Seymour and for Henry to wed Jane, Anne had to go, but the Anglican Church didn't recognize divorce except for adultery... I always presumed the charges against Anne Boleyn were such as they were in order to prevent further discussion. First , because why should the King admit he's been cuckolded unless he really had been? Second, the, um...tenor of the charges were made as they were in order to justify the necessity of the King's admission. And it was exactly because the acts Anne was charged with were so heinous, Henry couldn't just quietly set her aside on some other trumped-up charge. While Henry may have been Supreme Head of the Church in England, he still couldn't alter dogma at will. Doug

Re: Crowland, Mancini, etc. andcontemporary records

2015-07-13 12:22:25
Hilary Jones
In fact you've endorsed what I was saying Doug. The supposed heinous crimes of Anne divert us from the equally heinous crime of judicially murdering an annointed queen - who, as you say, could have been divorced and locked away. She must have been very dangerous to warrant death. I wonder why - she certainly wasn't popular? In some ways I reckon the whole WOTR thing is a Tudor myth, because they solved it by Henry's conquest and marriage, didn't they? When you look at the fifteenth century it's a very complex time. Some institutions, like commerce, the Law, local government, are becoming quite advanced. But sitting along side them are a group of hooray Henry aristocrats, who haven't yet learned to go grouse-shooting because they've been trained in a military environment a hundred years' out of date. There's nowhere to try it out - France is a failure by the 1450s and the Welsh and Scots are disappointingly quiet. So it's bash up your neighbour or abduct the odd heiress. That is until the guys at the very top start arguing about who should have the Crown - an opportunity at last to use your skills and grab a bit more land if you choose the right side. Add to this cocktail simmering resentment from the 'old' aristocracy, the De Veres, the Fitzalans, the Beauchamps, the Talbots etc etc that their influence is being diluted by the up-and-coming Nevilles, Stanleys, Mayors of London, and the Wars are as ever as much about personal gain and animosity than they are about supporting a God-intended king. That all went out of the window when Richard II was set aside. It just needed Shakespeare to do his Temple Gardens scene and a whole new legend was born. Yet no doubt the little bunch at the very top did believe in their God-given right, but I doubt their supporters put this before self-interest unless they had a particular attachment to an individual like some of those who went into exile with MOA. Sorry to be so cynical. H
To:
Sent: Saturday, 11 July 2015, 16:13
Subject: Re: Crowland, Mancini, etc. andcontemporary records

Hilary wrote:
//snip// I get equally concerned though when we seem to get too much. Take the acres on the supposed guilt of Anne Boleyn. Is it there to divert us from other things? There's little doubt that the Tudors were manipulators par excellence because they were so insecure. //snip// Doug here": It's my personal opinion that Anne was killed because Henry wanted a son, Anne hadn't provided him with one, Henry was in love with Jane Seymour and for Henry to wed Jane, Anne had to go, but the Anglican Church didn't recognize divorce except for adultery... I always presumed the charges against Anne Boleyn were such as they were in order to prevent further discussion. First , because why should the King admit he's been cuckolded unless he really had been? Second, the, um...tenor of the charges were made as they were in order to justify the necessity of the King's admission. And it was exactly because the acts Anne was charged with were so heinous, Henry couldn't just quietly set her aside on some other trumped-up charge. While Henry may have been Supreme Head of the Church in England, he still couldn't alter dogma at will. Doug

2015-07-13 13:14:51
Hilary Jones
Hi Mac, knew I'd read somewhere that St Martin's was a bit 'dodgy'. 'As the elements of disorder increased during the reign of Richard II, the precinct of the church owing to its right of sanctuary became a nest of corruption. In 1402 the Commons complained to the king in Parliament (fn. 114) that apprentices and servants carried off their master's goods to St. Martin's and lived there on the proceeds of the sale, that forgers took up their abode and carried on their nefarious work there, that the inhabitants of the place bought in the City things for which no payment could be obtained, and that robbers and murderers used the place as a convenient refuge from which they issued to commit fresh crimes. The king ordered that the privileges should be shown before the council, and that there should be reasonable remedy, but evidently nothing was done. In 1430 the mayor and sheriffs took the law in their own hands and forcibly removed from the sanctuary a certain canon of Waltham, (fn. 115)but they had to put him back. Undaunted by this check the sheriffs in 1440 took away from St. Martin's a soldier and the men who had rescued him as he was being taken from the prison of Newgate to the Guildhall. The dean and chapter appealed to the king, and in spite of the resistance of the City they won the day. (fn. 116) One of the sheriffs and some of the goldsmiths of London in 1448 visited the shops of their craft in the precinct. The dean did not oppose their examination but prevented its being used as a precedent against the immunities of the place by himself ordering anything condemned by them to be destroyed and the offenders to be committed to prison. (fn. 117) Although the privileges of St. Martin's were found to hold good even against the king himself as the cases of William Caym (fn. 118) and Sir William Oldhall (fn. 119) in 1451 sufficiently proved, the abuses of the right of sanctuary were too notorious to be ignored any longer, and the council in 1457 ordained (fn. 120) that persons taking refuge there should be registered by the dean; that they should not retain their weapons; that control should be kept over notorious criminals; that stolen goods should be restored to their owners if they claimed them; that makers of counterfeit plate and jewels should not be allowed in the sanctuary; that men exercising their trades there should observe the rules of the city in this respect; and that vice should not be countenanced. The exemptions of St. Martin's outlived the church itself, though the right of sanctuary was curtailed under Henry VIII. ' This is from the Victoria County History of London. Stillington was Dean from 1458 to 1485 (so during Anne's time) when he was replaced by James Stanley. H
To:
Sent: Friday, 10 July 2015, 9:09

Re: Crowland, Mancini, etc.andcontemporary records

2015-07-13 15:22:39
Doug Stamate
Hilary wrote: In fact you've endorsed what I was saying Doug. The supposed heinous crimes of Anne divert us from the equally heinous crime of judicially murdering an annointed queen - who, as you say, could have been divorced and locked away. She must have been very dangerous to warrant death. I wonder why - she certainly wasn't popular? Doug here: Again it's only my opinion, but I think the danger Anne posed was to Henry's religious settlement, which in itself was much more political than religious. Henry had broken with Papal Catholicism solely in order to justify his separation from Catherine and marriage to Anne. A simple divorce from Anne would have greatly endangered Henry's assumption of religious authority. The political, and more importantly personal, motives behind the break with Rome would have been exposed. Hilary continued: In some ways I reckon the whole WOTR thing is a Tudor myth, because they solved it by Henry's conquest and marriage, didn't they? When you look at the fifteenth century it's a very complex time. Some institutions, like commerce, the Law, local government, are becoming quite advanced. But sitting along side them are a group of hooray Henry aristocrats, who haven't yet learned to go grouse-shooting because they've been trained in a military environment a hundred years' out of date. There's nowhere to try it out - France is a failure by the 1450s and the Welsh and Scots are disappointingly quiet. So it's bash up your neighbour or abduct the odd heiress. That is until the guys at the very top start arguing about who should have the Crown - an opportunity at last to use your skills and grab a bit more land if you choose the right side. Add to this cocktail simmering resentment from the 'old' aristocracy, the De Veres, the Fitzalans, the Beauchamps, the Talbots etc etc that their influence is being diluted by the up-and-coming Nevilles, Stanleys, Mayors of London, and the Wars are as ever as much about personal gain and animosity than they are about supporting a God-intended king. That all went out of the window when Richard II was set aside. It just needed Shakespeare to do his Temple Gardens scene and a whole new legend was born. Yet no doubt the little bunch at the very top did believe in their God-given right, but I doubt their supporters put this before self-interest unless they had a particular attachment to an individual like some of those who went into exile with MOA. Sorry to be so cynical. Doug here: My view of the WotR is that it was over who should sit on the throne because the direct descent from Edward III had been disturbed with Bolingbroke's usurpation of the crown from Richard II. The Lancastrians, up to Henry VI anyway, had in their favor the fact they were the kings in fact, if possibly not law. With Henry VI's obvious incapacity to himself rule, the question became one of: Does posession of the crown take precedence over the legitimate heir? If the former, then the Lancastrians were, and would continue to be, the rulers; if, however, it was the latter, then the Yorkists had a better claim. I really believe that had Henry been a half-way competent monarch, able on his own to rule as well as reign, he would have remained king and passed the crown on to his son Edward. It was because Henry couldn't himself rule, that he had to rely on his Council and because he was incapable of ruling, he was also incapable of controlling his Council  leaving control of the kingdom to whomever could control the Council. Which meant, in effect, whoever was in Henry's favor could get Henry to appoint Council members agreeable to that person's wishes. Which is where Margaret of Anjou comes in. She wanted to Henry to rule, and he was unable to do so, was quite willing to rule in his stead. Which meant she, not being the reigning monarch, had to make alliances with nobles and to make those alliances she had to support those nobles in their local squabbles, often when those nobles didn't deserve any support, let alone the king's. The problems caused by such partisanship were further exacerbated by the fact that one of the greatest nobles in the kingdom was a direct descendent of Edward III and from a senior branch, which made him a viable candidate for the throne should he desire to make a claim. And if he could garner enough support. Add in the nobles with nothing to do after the 100 Years War, a Parliament not yet able to exert much (any?) control and voila  fighting breaks out. And once that occurred, with deaths needing to be avenged, it became, to some extent, a vicious cycle. Doug Who has often wondered why in the world Margaret never seems to have considered a marriage between her son and a daughter of Richard, Duke of York? Or did she and I missed it?

2015-07-13 16:09:42
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

I was aware of this entry, but honestly I think these problems were ones to which sanctuaries were prone, and perhaps we hear more about St Martins than most because the sanctuary area took up a sizeable chunk of the city of London and so was a source of extreme frustration to the city authorities. This 1457 council ruling (partly occasioned by the political stresses) is the last we hear of these complaints for several decades so perhaps the keeping of a register got the problem under some sort of control. Also, in deciding whether Richard would have taken Anne there other factors need to be taken into account:-

2) Richard supposedly found her in the city, he needed to get her into good sanctuary immediately and St Martin's was the one and only sanctuary within the City of London. To have tried to get her into Westminster Sanctuary would have been to risk her being hijacked, particularly as they passed the palace.

3) She had an aunt there, viz. Sir John Paston wrote from London to his brother on 30 April 1472: "The Countess of Oxford is still in St. Martin's."

Also, although Crowland gets details of incidents wrong time and again, he was a contemporary and so if he thought St Martins was a *plausible* place for Richard to take Anne then it probably was. Evidently the Countess of Oxford had made the same decision. How long Anne might have stayed at St Martin's, though, is another question entirely.

2015-07-14 10:39:32
Hilary Jones
Thanks Marie. I still don't quite understand why Richard didn't take her to Cis at Baynards. Don't think anyone would have prised anything out of Cis!It's also interesting that, whatever Stillington did or didn't do in the 1470s, it didn't warrant depriving him of the office of Dean there - or could only the Church do that? Henry was very quick to take him away, however. H PS Still searching for the John Russell reference. It's in the Vatican papers; I stumbled on it when researching my friend above. It's bad of me; I should have made a note, but I wasn't researching him. Just found it interesting.
To:
Sent: Monday, 13 July 2015, 16:09

Hi Hilary,I was aware of this entry, but honestly I think these problems were ones to which sanctuaries were prone, and perhaps we hear more about St Martins than most because the sanctuary area took up a sizeable chunk of the city of London and so was a source of extreme frustration to the city authorities. This 1457 council ruling (partly occasioned by the political stresses) is the last we hear of these complaints for several decades so perhaps the keeping of a register got the problem under some sort of control. Also, in deciding whether Richard would have taken Anne there other factors need to be taken into account:-2) Richard supposedly found her in the city, he needed to get her into good sanctuary immediately and St Martin's was the one and only sanctuary within the City of London. To have tried to get her into Westminster Sanctuary would have been to risk her being hijacked, particularly as they passed the palace.3) She had an aunt there, viz. Sir John Paston wrote from London to his brother on 30 April 1472: "The Countess of Oxford is still in St. Martin's."Also, although Crowland gets details of incidents wrong time and again, he was a contemporary and so if he thought St Martins was a *plausible* place for Richard to take Anne then it probably was. Evidently the Countess of Oxford had made the same decision. How long Anne might have stayed at St Martin's, though, is another question entirely.

2015-07-14 15:24:25
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

I guess we shouldn't assume that Cis would have been on Richard's side rather than Clarence's. Also, placing his intended with his own mother would still have left Richard open to a charge of marriage by abduction. I know Henry did it after Bosworth but it's interesting that the Pope had to prohibit people speaking against his marriage and Vergil felt the need to rewrite that bit of history to make out that Elizabethwas taken to her own mother. The thing is, King Edward seems to have given Anne into Clarence's household and, although she was a widow and over 14, Clarence clearly regarded himself as her legal guardian, so only a properly constituted sanctuary would enable Richard to stay clearly and unequivocally clear of a charge of raptus.

No, St Martin's was a royal chapel so the Dean was a royal appointment. It was whilst he had Stillington in custody after Bosworth that Henry took the post from him and gave it to Lord Stanley's clerical son James. James Stanley's explanation was that Henry had done this because such a benefice was incompatible with holding a bishopric and also

"for the horrible and heyneous offences ymagened and doon by the bisshoppe of Bathe, aswell ageinst your highnes as otherwise...."

But perhaps it was more about keeping the Stanleys happy than depriving the Bishop of Bath. Or keeping this great sanctuary in the capital in the control of someone he could trust. As the events of the following year were to show, Henry didn't have much patience with the idea of traitors claiming sanctuary.

I'd love to have the Russell reference. I must admit I looked through the Vatican Papers for it myself over the weekend but couldn't find it. Only found one dispensation for a John Russell, priest, and that was to own a portable altar.

Marie

2015-07-14 17:47:44
Hilary Jones
Thanks for the info Marie. Yes we do tend to think that Cis would be on Richard's side (novelists again) but we don't know and as a Neville herself she could well have had a view. Re Russell, I shall keep looking but, like you, keep bumping into the earlier John Russell. I shall have to plough through it all again. I'm pretty sure I put a note on this forum when I originally found it, but did I quote the source? A thought, was he just referred to by his title, not his name? I'll try again. One thing I did bump into whilst looking, which I'm sure you've read, is in the papers of the Dukes of Milan where the correspondent in 1496 (Giovanni de Belbulcho writing to the Duke's secretary) talks about the avarice of King Henry, the power of Reggie Bray as controller of the king's treasure and how if a suitable contender came forward, he's sure there would be rebellion against Henry - it of course also trots out the bit about Richard murdering his nephews. But the other strange bit is that there had been a Prospero in Milan. How on earth would Shakespeare from Stratford know about that nearly a hundred years' later without having had access to these, rather obscure, papers or without someone in Court circles dropping out the name? Another topic, but it does make you wonder whether anything in Tudor England was as it seemed. H
To:
Sent: Tuesday, 14 July 2015, 15:24

Hi Hilary,
I guess we shouldn't assume that Cis would have been on Richard's side rather than Clarence's. Also, placing his intended with his own mother would still have left Richard open to a charge of marriage by abduction. I know Henry did it after Bosworth but it's interesting that the Pope had to prohibit people speaking against his marriage and Vergil felt the need to rewrite that bit of history to make out that Elizabethwas taken to her own mother. The thing is, King Edward seems to have given Anne into Clarence's household and, although she was a widow and over 14, Clarence clearly regarded himself as her legal guardian, so only a properly constituted sanctuary would enable Richard to stay clearly and unequivocally clear of a charge of raptus.
No, St Martin's was a royal chapel so the Dean was a royal appointment. It was whilst he had Stillington in custody after Bosworth that Henry took the post from him and gave it to Lord Stanley's clerical son James. James Stanley's explanation was that Henry had done this because such a benefice was incompatible with holding a bishopric and also "for the horrible and heyneous offences ymagened and doon by the bisshoppe of Bathe, aswell ageinst your highnes as otherwise...."
But perhaps it was more about keeping the Stanleys happy than depriving the Bishop of Bath. Or keeping this great sanctuary in the capital in the control of someone he could trust. As the events of the following year were to show, Henry didn't have much patience with the idea of traitors claiming sanctuary.
I'd love to have the Russell reference. I must admit I looked through the Vatican Papers for it myself over the weekend but couldn't find it. Only found one dispensation for a John Russell, priest, and that was to own a portable altar.
Marie

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.