John Ingleby Bishop of Llandaff, Edward's confessor

John Ingleby Bishop of Llandaff, Edward's confessor

2015-07-06 14:20:20
Hilary Jones
I don't know whom this will reach as I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting into the Forum. However if anyone does get this you may recall that a couple of years' ago I claimed that John Ingleby, father-in-law to Katherine Stillington (the Bishop's niece) retired from the world and took holy orders, re-emerging at the confessor of E4 and EW at Sheen. Now I wavered over this as several on here said he had been officially 'dead' since 1468 and you can't do this. The Oxford DNB now confirms he is indeed the same person, was made Bishop of Llandaff in 1496 and special envoy to the Pope for H7. He died in 1499. If this is indeed true it throws a whole new light on who could have revealed the pre-contract story (though we know things told under the confessional are sacred, except to a higher level, which Stillington was). I've spent several weeks looking at Stillington's Yorkshire connections; which I neglected in favour of his Somerset ones last time. The mystery deepens though where it's going I'm not sure at all. H PS During that time I also stumbled on the will of a chantry priest who had undoubtedly been a prosperous merchant in a previous life. You can tell this, not just from a document referring to him in his previous life, but by looking at his beneficiaries who are 'in the trade' and the location of his church.

Re: John Ingleby Bishop of Llandaff, Edward's confessor

2015-07-06 20:19:17
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

Yes, I hold my hands up. I was the one who questioned whether a married man could leave his wife to become a monk, but I did discover eventually that it was possible to become 'dead to the world' and leave one's spouse in order to retire to a monastery as a monk, but a man could not abandon his marriage to become a 'secular' priest (i.e. an ordinary priest who had not joined any of the religious orders). I posted this information at the time. So if your chantry priest had been a merchant he must have been single or widowed (or perhaps divorced) when he made his big career change.

Does the ODNB give a source for the identification of Bishop Ingleby with the John Ingleby who had previously been a married man? I'd just be interested to know what the source is as I couldn't find anything in the usual obvious places.

Marie

Re: John Ingleby Bishop of Llandaff, Edward's confessor

2015-07-07 10:34:48
Hilary Jones
Hi Marie, sorry, I must have missed that. I haven't got an ODNB subscription but this is the preview 'Ingleby, John (1434?-1499), bishop of Llandaff, came of the distinguished family of Ingleby of Yorkshire. He may have been the only son of Sir William Ingleby of Ripley and Joan, daughter of Sir Brian Stapleton of Carlton, in which case he was born on 7 July 1434, married Margery, daughter ... Reference Entry. 435 words. ' It's written by Neil Beckett. I was flabergasted to see it there, as I originally got the info from the Ingleby of Ripley website then it was withdrawn, but now it has been reissued. Like you I want that definitive proof but...1. Ingleby is a very rare name (or was then) and the family, unlike others, was not renowned for producing multiple children and if you have a priest or bishop in the family it usually appears in some Visitation.2. I looked at the Calendar of Principal Ecclesiastical Dignitaries which confirms he was formerly Prior of Sheen (and references the Foedera). What's also interesting though is that, unlike other bishops of Llandaff. there appears to be no will and no tomb - I recall Sir John is buried at Mount Grace with a date of 1468 on his tomb?3. Edward of course dealt harshly with Margery Ingleby's second husband Richard, Baron Welles, by luring him out of sanctuary with the promise of a pardon and then executing him and his son. I had abandoned this trail but will now look again; I just stumbled upon it whilst playing around on Google. Re my chantry priest, his will leaves his books to his nephew, Warden of All Souls and his other goods are just personal possessions so we can't know. My guess is he was either unmarried or his wife had died. The earlier life detail is about a debt owing to him, so that doesn't help. Whilst you're here, do we know how far Henry's shredders waded into Edward's reign? It would after all be in their interests to make him look good against the wicked Richard. It struck me that there may well have been unrest from the naughty and dispossessed during the final years of Edward's reign which was then deleted/manipulated to look like protest about the disinheritance of a twelve year old. It usually takes a lot to make the English rebel - you have to hit them in their pocket, their stomach or their soul. I don't think enthusiasm to restore a minority rule would hit the note. But that's just me of course. H
To:
Sent: Monday, 6 July 2015, 20:19
Subject: Re: John Ingleby Bishop of Llandaff, Edward's confessor

Hi Hilary,Yes, I hold my hands up. I was the one who questioned whether a married man could leave his wife to become a monk, but I did discover eventually that it was possible to become 'dead to the world' and leave one's spouse in order to retire to a monastery as a monk, but a man could not abandon his marriage to become a 'secular' priest (i.e. an ordinary priest who had not joined any of the religious orders). I posted this information at the time. So if your chantry priest had been a merchant he must have been single or widowed (or perhaps divorced) when he made his big career change.Does the ODNB give a source for the identification of Bishop Ingleby with the John Ingleby who had previously been a married man? I'd just be interested to know what the source is as I couldn't find anything in the usual obvious places.Marie

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.