Protectorate

Protectorate

2015-05-24 18:16:03
mariewalsh2003

Just to say Annette Carson's new book on Richard's powers as Constable and Protector is now out. Might shed some light on recent discussion topics.

Re: Protectorate

2015-05-24 20:19:33
Paul Trevor Bale
Where is it/ Not on Amazon or even gets a mention on her web site.
Paul

On 24/05/2015 18:16, mariewalsh2003 wrote:

Just to say Annette Carson's new book on Richard's powers as Constable and Protector is now out. Might shed some light on recent discussion topics.

2015-05-24 20:29:00
mariewalsh2003
Well, I received notification that it's out and available on her website, but you're right - it doesn't seem to be.

OT

2015-05-25 12:32:31
Gilda Elise
I've been unable to reach Jonathan Hayes through the website or normal channels. So, Jonathan, if you read this, could you contact me offlist? Thanks.

Gilda

2015-05-25 15:48:26
maroonnavywhite
(Tamara jumps in:)

Mention of it is tucked away on her blog:

http://www.annettecarson.co.uk/357052365/2781246/posting/my-new-book-in-print-on-27-may

21. May, 2015

After research going back several years - and many interruptions - at last my study of Richard Duke of Gloucester as Protector and Constable is appearing as a self-published paperback at £8.50. For UK buyers it will be available via my online shop.

Overseas purchasers please contact me on info@... (airmail postage will add £5 to the cover price). Here are the full details:

Richard Duke of Gloucester as Lord Protector and High Constable of England

by Annette Carson, published by Imprimis Imprimatur, ISBN 978-0-9576840-4-1, 112 pages, including 10 appendices of original documents, several previously unpublished

Summary:

Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later Richard III) was appointed to a number of the highest offices of the realm by his brother King Edward IV, of which one of primary importance was Lord High Constable of England. He retained this office in 1483 while concurrently designated Protector and Defender of the Realm during the minority of Edward V. For a crucial few weeks Gloucester combined in his person two offices whose significance has been consistently misunderstood and overlooked. In effect he held overarching responsibility for defence of England against enemies from outside and rebels within, while exercising summary jurisdiction over the crime of treason.

Presented in two parts, the book begins with the origins and development of the separate offices of Protector and Constable, considering their principal 15th-century incumbents and their place in the constitutional framework. It summarizes the laws governing the crime of treason, and indicates how successive monarchs, notably Edward IV, placed increasing reliance on the High Constable and his Court to deliver judgement and sentence in such cases. In the second part, this study addresses the misapprehensions (at the time and in subsequent centuries) about Gloucester's responsibilities and powers, and examines the principal events during his protectorate in the context of both offices, viewed from the perspective of 15th-century precedent rather than 16th-century hindsight.

2015-05-25 16:25:52
Paul Trevor Bale
Yes Annette just posted this to me to forward. It repeats the content as set out below but...
Paul

by Annette Carson, published by Imprimis Imprimatur, ISBN 978-0-9576840-4-1, May 2015
Price £8.50 available from www.annettecarson.co.uk
112 pages, including 10 appendices of original documents, several previously unpublished

Summary:
Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later Richard III) was appointed to a number of the highest offices of the realm by his brother King Edward IV, of which one of primary importance was Lord High Constable of England. He retained this office in 1483 while concurrently designated Protector and Defender of the Realm during the minority of Edward V. For a crucial few weeks Gloucester combined in his person two offices whose significance has been consistently misunderstood and overlooked. In effect he held overarching responsibility for defence of England against enemies from outside and rebels within, while exercising summary jurisdiction over the crime of treason. Presented in two parts, Part I looks at the origins and development of the separate offices of Protector and Constable, considering their principal 15th-century incumbents and their place in the constitutional framework. It summarizes the laws governing the crime of treason, and indicates how successive monarchs, notably Edward IV, placed increasing reliance on the High Constable and his Court to deliver judgement and sentence in such cases. In Part II it addresses the misapprehensions (at the time and in subsequent centuries) about Gloucester's responsibilities and powers, and examines the principal events during his protectorate in the context of both offices, viewed from the perspective of 15th-century precedent rather than 16th-century hindsight.

On 25/05/2015 15:48, khafara@... [] wrote:
(Tamara jumps in:)

Mention of it is tucked away on her blog:

http://www.annettecarson.co.uk/357052365/2781246/posting/my-new-book-in-print-on-27-may

21. May, 2015

After research going back several years - and many interruptions - at last my study of Richard Duke of Gloucester as Protector and Constable is appearing as a self-published paperback at £8.50. For UK buyers it will be available via my online shop.

Overseas purchasers please contact me on info@... (airmail postage will add £5 to the cover price). Here are the full details:

by Annette Carson, published by Imprimis Imprimatur, ISBN 978-0-9576840-4-1, 112 pages, including 10 appendices of original documents, several previously unpublished

Summary:

Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later Richard III) was appointed to a number of the highest offices of the realm by his brother King Edward IV, of which one of primary importance was Lord High Constable of England. He retained this office in 1483 while concurrently designated Protector and Defender of the Realm during the minority of Edward V. For a crucial few weeks Gloucester combined in his person two offices whose significance has been consistently misunderstood and overlooked. In effect he held overarching responsibility for defence of England against enemies from outside and rebels within, while exercising summary jurisdiction over the crime of treason.

Presented in two parts, the book begins with the origins and development of the separate offices of Protector and Constable, considering their principal 15th-century incumbents and their place in the constitutional framework. It summarizes the laws governing the crime of treason, and indicates how successive monarchs, notably Edward IV, placed increasing reliance on the High Constable and his Court to deliver judgement and sentence in such cases. In the second part, this study addresses the misapprehensions (at the time and in subsequent centuries) about Gloucester's responsibilities and powers, and examines the principal events during his protectorate in the context of both offices, viewed from the perspective of 15th-century precedent rather than 16th-century hindsight.

2015-05-25 17:22:19
maroonnavywhite
I wrote to her for a copy and she says she should have physical copies in her hands by Thursday. She'll weigh them for postage (which she believes will add around £5 to the cover price of £8.50) and then send PayPal invoices by email to overseas purchasers.

Tamara
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.