Medieval Gardens and Middleham

Medieval Gardens and Middleham

2015-05-17 19:41:30
maroonnavywhite
Good afternoon, all,

I was recently sent a copy of a transcript of a talk given in 2012 by Lynda M. Telford. The transcript appeared in two successive issues of Blanc Sanglier.

The talk concerned Middleham castle and its environs, and one of the things that stood out to me was her statement that Middleham castle's south side looked over a large expanse of formally organized herb gardens and arbors equipped with fountains and even a maze, the latter item I presume was made of trimmed box bushes.

Intrigued, I decided to see which species of box would grow high enough to make a proper maze yet thrive in the cool environment of late 15th century Middleham. While poking around online (a dangerous thing, I know), I kept finding statements to the effect that maze and even knot gardens didn't come to the British Isles until a century later at minimum.

Does anyone know more about this? I'd love the idea of a box hedge maze at Middleham.

Thanks!

Tamara

Re: Medieval Gardens and Middleham

2015-05-18 12:15:39
mariewalsh2003

Hi Tamara,

Looking at this article, the author doesn't seem to be saying there was a maze, only that there could have been.

A lot of articles I l have looked at online suggest that knot gardens go back to the Middle Ages, although they were of course wildly fashionable in Tudor times. There were certainly medieval labyrinth designs on floors, so probably also in gardens, and box hedging was used. I suspect the main problem is that we have much less evidence about medieval gardens so the Tudors get given the credit for innovations by default.

Perhaps knot gardens and mazes became more popular after the Reformation because so many of the other medieval garden designs had been based on marian symbolism.

But I suspect tall mazes with hedges you couldn't see over would have been a later idea. Does anyone have a book on medieval gardens?

Marie

2015-05-18 13:51:20
Janjovian
Weren't some mazes made with yew bushes?

JessFrom: mariewalsh2003
Sent: 18/05/2015 12:15
To:
Subject: Re: Medieval Gardens and Middleham

Hi Tamara,

Looking at this article, the author doesn't seem to be saying there was a maze, only that there could have been.

A lot of articles I l have looked at online suggest that knot gardens go back to the Middle Ages, although they were of course wildly fashionable in Tudor times. There were certainly medieval labyrinth designs on floors, so probably also in gardens, and box hedging was used. I suspect the main problem is that we have much less evidence about medieval gardens so the Tudors get given the credit for innovations by default.

Perhaps knot gardens and mazes became more popular after the Reformation because so many of the other medieval garden designs had been based on marian symbolism.

But I suspect tall mazes with hedges you couldn't see over would have been a later idea. Does anyone have a book on medieval gardens?

Marie

2015-05-18 18:51:42
Sharon Feely
ÿ I had a small hardbacked book that was entiltled 'Mediaeval Gardens' that mainly showed illuminated manuscripts and very little text (can't find it now as I'm semi-packed for a house move) and that had several illustrations of people in formal gardens (can't remember seeing mazes). The clothing was mainly late 15th-very early 16thC, and not sure if the manuscripts were European or British, but I assume they would have been the same on both sides of the channel. Also, sticking my neck out here, Elizabeth Chadwick writes in her novels of 12thC that castles and manors had various forms of formal gardens and arbours. I know she's a novelist and it could all be made up, but unlike many authors turned historians I could mention (and we all know who the usual suspects are!) she does actually do a lot of proper research, so there might even be a shred of truth in it. Sharon ----- Original Message ----- From: Janjovian janjovian@... [] To: Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 1:51 PM Subject: RE: Re: Medieval Gardens and Middleham

Jess From: mariewalsh2003
To:
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: Medieval Gardens and Middleham

Hi Tamara,

Marie

2015-05-18 21:40:45
Jan Mulrenan
Jan here.During Roman times in Britain 3 people were buried with box twigs in their coffins & I'm sure box was used for the reconstructed garden at Fishbourne Roman villa. So box could have grown when & where it found favourable conditions in early medieval times. Some Anglo-Saxons travelled to the continent & might have seen box hedges there. I do not know how long Box Hill has had the said box growing on it!

Sent from my iPad
On 18 May 2015, at 18:38, 'Sharon Feely' 43118@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

I had a small hardbacked book that was entiltled 'Mediaeval Gardens' that mainly showed illuminated manuscripts and very little text (can't find it now as I'm semi-packed for a house move) and that had several illustrations of people in formal gardens (can't remember seeing mazes). The clothing was mainly late 15th-very early 16thC, and not sure if the manuscripts were European or British, but I assume they would have been the same on both sides of the channel. Also, sticking my neck out here, Elizabeth Chadwick writes in her novels of 12thC that castles and manors had various forms of formal gardens and arbours. I know she's a novelist and it could all be made up, but unlike many authors turned historians I could mention (and we all know who the usual suspects are!) she does actually do a lot of proper research, so there might even be a shred of truth in it. Sharon ----- Original Message ----- From: Janjovian janjovian@... [] To: Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 1:51 PM Subject: RE: Re: Medieval Gardens and Middleham

To:

Hi Tamara,

Marie

2015-05-18 22:13:24
Pamela Bain
I just looked on Amazon.com to find books about Medieval Gardens. I read the very scant descriptions, and the stress was on herbal and medicinal plants in enclosed gardens, and then ended with large estates, but no descriptions.
I did try and copy and paste, but apparently Amazon blocks that on an iPad.

On May 18, 2015, at 3:40 PM, Jan Mulrenan janmulrenan@... [] <> wrote:

Jan here. During Roman times in Britain 3 people were buried with box twigs in their coffins & I'm sure box was used for the reconstructed garden at Fishbourne Roman villa. So box could have grown when & where it found favourable conditions in early medieval times. Some Anglo-Saxons travelled to the continent & might have seen box hedges there. I do not know how long Box Hill has had the said box growing on it!

Sent from my iPad
On 18 May 2015, at 18:38, 'Sharon Feely' 43118@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

I had a small hardbacked book that was entiltled 'Mediaeval Gardens' that mainly showed illuminated manuscripts and very little text (can't find it now as I'm semi-packed for a house move) and that had several illustrations of people in formal gardens (can't remember seeing mazes). The clothing was mainly late 15th-very early 16thC, and not sure if the manuscripts were European or British, but I assume they would have been the same on both sides of the channel. Also, sticking my neck out here, Elizabeth Chadwick writes in her novels of 12thC that castles and manors had various forms of formal gardens and arbours. I know she's a novelist and it could all be made up, but unlike many authors turned historians I could mention (and we all know who the usual suspects are!) she does actually do a lot of proper research, so there might even be a shred of truth in it. Sharon ----- Original Message ----- From: Janjovian janjovian@... [] To: Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 1:51 PM Subject: RE: Re: Medieval Gardens and Middleham

To:

Hi Tamara,

Marie

2015-05-19 13:12:40
maroonnavywhite
Thanks for the responses, ladies!

I think a case could be made for the Nevilles having planted box during the Medieval Warm Period and for its being so hardy once established that it survived the colder centuries that followed.

A question this would raise in my mind is this: Did the present Middleham castle ever have a military function, or was it designed to be a private residence from the get-go? I can't imagine a military garrison having anything around it that might provide cover for an attacker.

Tamara

2015-05-19 13:27:27
Hilary Jones
Don't know whether this helps Tamara but Middleham belonged to the Fitzranulf family in the 13th century, when one of the three daughters (no sons) married Robert Neville of Raby. The Fitzranulfs were Sheriffs of Northumberland so no doubt it's function was military. On a similar topic, I was at Hooton the original family seat of the Stanleys a couple of weeks' ago. Now they are often accused of being expansionist, but when you look at the Welsh border landscape you can understand why families stuck together. In fact it taught me that you really do need to look at the landscape if you can (I know it's difficult for you in the US) because it can help us understand a lot. On the garden thing, I had a look at Villandry in the Loire which is famous for its box-hedged gardens (glorious). Now although they are replicas it described them as Renaissance 1535, so perhaps the idea came from France or Italy - certainly not another Tudor mythical invention, and, as you say, things were warmer then. H
To:
Sent: Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 13:12

I think a case could be made for the Nevilles having planted box during the Medieval Warm Period and for its being so hardy once established that it survived the colder centuries that followed.

A question this would raise in my mind is this: Did the present Middleham castle ever have a military function, or was it designed to be a private residence from the get-go? I can't imagine a military garrison having anything around it that might provide cover for an attacker.

Tamara

2015-05-19 20:05:26
Sharon Feely
ÿ I would have thought that Middleham would have had some sort of military function, bearing in mind the frequent Scottish raids on Northern England, especially early 14thC. They often reached as far down as Scarborough (where I live - Ayton castle on the outskirts is believed to have suffered a Scottish raid c.1322), York, etc and even further south to North Derbyshire. Middleham would surely have been on their route of plunder, so some form of garrison makes sense. It also superseded an earlier Norman motte and bailey castle nearby (the motte can still be seen) so a military need must have been recognised quite early on. Sharon ----- Original Message ----- From: Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] To: Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:27 PM Subject: Re: Re: Medieval Gardens and Middleham

Don't know whether this helps Tamara but Middleham belonged to the Fitzranulf family in the 13th century, when one of the three daughters (no sons) married Robert Neville of Raby. The Fitzranulfs were Sheriffs of Northumberland so no doubt it's function was military. On a similar topic, I was at Hooton the original family seat of the Stanleys a couple of weeks' ago. Now they are often accused of being expansionist, but when you look at the Welsh border landscape you can understand why families stuck together. In fact it taught me that you really do need to look at the landscape if you can (I know it's difficult for you in the US) because it can help us understand a lot. On the garden thing, I had a look at Villandry in the Loire which is famous for its box-hedged gardens (glorious). Now although they are replicas it described them as Renaissance 1535, so perhaps the idea came from France or Italy - certainly not another Tudor mythical invention, and, as you say, things were warmer then. H
To:

Tamara

2015-05-19 21:11:08
Durose David
Hi All,The origin of Middleham is entering my sphere of knowledge. Most of Yorkshire came under Breton influence after 1066. Richmond was founded by Alan Rufus together with Middleham and St Mary's Abbey in York. Many of the great "Norman" families were actually Breton.
The other areas where Bretons were predominant were the West Country and East Anglia.
The Wikipedia page for Alan is pretty accurate and shows his picture in the ermine - the symbol of Brittany.
RegardsDavid

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
At 19 May 2015 20:05:29, 'Sharon Feely' 43118@... []<''> wrote:

ÿ

I would have thought that Middleham would have had some sort of military function, bearing in mind the frequent Scottish raids on Northern England, especially early 14thC. They often reached as far down as Scarborough (where I live - Ayton castle on the outskirts is believed to have suffered a Scottish raid c.1322), York, etc and even further south to North Derbyshire. Middleham would surely have been on their route of plunder, so some form of garrison makes sense. It also superseded an earlier Norman motte and bailey castle nearby (the motte can still be seen) so a military need must have been recognised quite early on. Sharon ----- Original Message ----- From: Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] To: Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:27 PM Subject: Re: Re: Medieval Gardens and Middleham

To:

Tamara

2015-05-19 23:06:47
maroonnavywhite
Jess, thanks for the yew tip!

As it turns out, yew and beech were and are popular for hedge mazes, and yew at least would have readily grown that far north, though I suspect that if a yew maze was ever planted at Middleham, it probably was cut down during the centuries-long quest for longbow wood, yew being the wood of choice for such weapons. By Richard's time England had long since depleted its own yew supply and was depending heavily on Polish and German yew wood.

My guess (for what it's worth, which is next to naught) is that, unless the yew was being deliberately grown to be eventually harvested for bows (which would make sense if the trees were closely planted so as to grow up straight and tall) any tall hedges were probably beech.

Tamara

2015-05-21 11:21:26
Janjovian
Yew hedges, particularly in chuchyards are often said to be "1000 years old," but I think it has almost been proved that this is a myth.
They just look old.=

JessFrom: khafara@... []
Sent: 19/05/2015 23:06
To:

Jess, thanks for the yew tip!

As it turns out, yew and beech were and are popular for hedge mazes, and yew at least would have readily grown that far north, though I suspect that if a yew maze was ever planted at Middleham, it probably was cut down during the centuries-long quest for longbow wood, yew being the wood of choice for such weapons. By Richard's time England had long since depleted its own yew supply and was depending heavily on Polish and German yew wood.

My guess (for what it's worth, which is next to naught) is that, unless the yew was being deliberately grown to be eventually harvested for bows (which would make sense if the trees were closely planted so as to grow up straight and tall) any tall hedges were probably beech.

Tamara

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.