Opening chapter explains his expressions at the service as shown on tv
when the bishop praised the university for the discovery of Richard's
remains!
Some interesting things coming up too.
I had no idea, for example, that Clarence's man Thomas Burdett, who
George rashly defended in the royal council just before his own arrest
by brother Edward, had been attached to the household of the Butler
family, so may well have been privy to the marriage of Eleanor to King
Edward, and the source of the story for Clarence.
How many knew of this prior to 1483, and had Richard simply taken his
brother Edward's word that it was nonsense at the time of Clarence's arrest?
One does wonder.
Paul

Re: Mythology

2015-04-20 09:20:54
Hilary Jones
I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about. Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an argument in your book. Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler; it could have been concocted by someone (no not Richard) who wanted to destabilise the throne. As I said to Marie the other week, I have lots of names that fit together, but I can't write history based on surmises, which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again ..... And what finally stitches it for me are the countless snide comments about Leicester (the Cathedral, the City, the University). Actually without their commitment Richard wouldn't have been dug up. As my lady from Leicester said, everyone knew where he was but no-one would take the punt on looking for a potential child-murderer. I reckon folk neglect the fact that it could have backfired terribly had not Richard had so many supporters willing to argue his case. And I have always been for York! So please stop bitching about Leicester JAH, they did a good and honourable job in the end and Richard now has his own town rather than being subsumed into the melee of other monarchs. Rant over. I admire JAH's work and always buy his books, but lately he seems to be churning out stuff which re-iterates his own views which have gone from supposition to tablets of stone. Sorry. (And the rant wasn't addressed at you Paul :) ) Hvie From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, 19 April 2015, 17:46
Subject: Mythology

Anyone else reading John Ashdown-Hill's latest 'The Mythology of Richard
III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 09:59:17
Paul Trevor Bale
On 20/04/2015 09:20, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@...
[] wrote:
> Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no
> actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler;
Now this is an amazing thing to say! People stood up in front of the
Lords and Commons and swore to facts in evidence, and probably
documentation, which was proof enough for them to set aside the new king
and his family, and you say we have no proof Edward married Eleanor!
Tudor refused to even have Titulus Regius read before annulling it,
significant I would have thought of the contents containing proof he was
unwilling for anyone to dispute. Tudor also ordered all copies
destroyed, along no doubt with all corroborating evidence.
That is proof enough for most, including myself.

As for John's numerous knocks at Leicester University, they have tried
to remove all mention of the Looking For Richard project, who were
totally responsible for getting the dig started, and since the discovery
have fought mention of them and their efforts to ensure the facts about
Richard are correct. I am not surprised there is some resentment in
their camp. All one has to do is go to the visitors centre to see the
way they ignored a lot of the advice of Annette Carson, John Ashdown
Hill and Phillippa Langley, all experts on Richard, when setting the
place up.
And watching the documentary on the dig again I still anger at the
university "expert" who, after smashing the remains with a pick axe,
shouts out 'He's a hunchback' showing her total ignorance of human
anatomy and how little actual history she knew.
I applaud John for shouting as loudly against the university as the
university has been shouting against him and his colleagues since "the
university" discovered Richard!
Paul

2015-04-20 10:01:59
Paul Trevor Bale
p.s. please give up the York thing! It's over.
Richard spent 500 years in Leicester, and has at last been laid to rest with respect and honour, only feet from where he was originally tipped into the ground.
Paul

On 20/04/2015 09:20, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] wrote:
I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about.   Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an argument in your book. Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler; it could have been concocted by someone (no not Richard) who wanted to destabilise the throne. As I said to Marie the other week, I have lots of names that fit together, but I can't write history based on surmises, which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again .....   And what finally stitches it for me are the countless snide comments about Leicester (the Cathedral, the City, the University). Actually without their commitment Richard wouldn't have been dug up. As my lady from Leicester said, everyone knew where he was but no-one would take the punt on looking for a potential child-murderer. I reckon folk neglect the fact that it could have backfired terribly had no t Richard had so many supporters willing to argue his case. And I have always been for York! So please stop bitching about Leicester JAH, they did a good and honourable job in the end and Richard now has his own town rather than being subsumed into the melee of other monarchs.   Rant over. I admire JAH's work and always buy his books, but lately he seems to be churning out stuff which re-iterates his own views which have gone from supposition to tablets of stone. Sorry. (And the rant wasn't addressed at you Paul :) ) H vie From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <>
To: richardiiiso cietyforum <>

III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 14:02:23
Pamela Bain
Very well said, and it is sad about JAH. Perhaps all the other fictions have had an effect on Ashton-Hill, and he is producing books faster and faster, and not as factuality well researched. It is sad to see, especially for all of you who have done such wonderful research.

On Apr 20, 2015, at 3:20 AM, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about. Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an argument in your book. Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler; it could have been concocted by someone (no not Richard) who wanted to destabilise the throne. As I said to Marie the other week, I have lots of names that fit together, but I can't write history based on surmises, which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again ..... And what finally stitches it for me are the countless snide comments about Leicester (the Cathedral, the City, the University). Actually without their commitment Richard wouldn't have been dug up. As my lady from Leicester said, everyone knew where he was but no-one would take the punt on looking for a potential child-murderer. I reckon folk neglect the fact that it could have backfired terribly had not Richard had so many supporters willing to argue his case. And I have always been for York! So please stop bitching about Leicester JAH, they did a good and honourable job in the end and Richard now has his own town rather than being subsumed into the melee of other monarchs. Rant over. I admire JAH's work and always buy his books, but lately he seems to be churning out stuff which re-iterates his own views which have gone from supposition to tablets of stone. Sorry. (And the rant wasn't addressed at you Paul :) ) H vie From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <>

III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 17:05:45
Paul Trevor Bale
What I find sad is that people are attacking him! Ricardians too!
When did your last pro Richard book come out Pam? And tell me Hilary, what was your contribution to the Looking For Richard project?
I wanted to discuss John's book, not assassinate his character.
Perhaps we could do that now instead of these attacks.
And as I said in my previous post I find your comment about the pre contract extraordinary! What you are saying with "apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler"  is basically Richard had no right to the throne and the evidence was manufactured.
See my earlier post for my reasoning to be so angry about this!
Paul

On 20/04/2015 14:02, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] wrote:
Very well said, and it is sad about JAH. Perhaps all the other fictions have had an effect on Ashton-Hill, and he is producing books faster and faster, and not as factuality well researched. It is sad to see, especially for all of you who have done such wonderful research.

I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about.   Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an argument in your book. Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler; it could have been concocted by someone (no not Richard) who wanted to destabilise the throne. As I said to Marie the other week, I have lots of names that fit together, but I can't write history based on surmises, which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again .....   And what finally stitches it for me are the countless snide comments about Leicester (the Cathedral, the City, the University). Actually without their commitment Richard wouldn't have been dug up. As my lady from Leicester said, everyone knew where he was but no-one would take the punt on looking for a potential child-murderer. I reckon folk neglect the fact that it could have backfired terribly had not Richard had so many supporters willing to argue his case. And I have always been for York! So please stop bitching about Leicester JAH, they did a good and honourable job in the end and Richard now has his own town rather than being subsumed into the melee of other monarchs.   Rant over. I admire JAH's work and always buy his books, but lately he seems to be churning out stuff which re-iterates his own views which have gone from supposition to tablets of stone. Sorry. (And the rant wasn't addressed at you Paul :) ) H vie From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <>

III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 17:18:10
Judy Thomson
Paul, you have my support.
People, please, please - cease this bickering! And I say this without pointing the finger at any particular person, so try to understand.
We weaken our Goal, which is Richard, when we engage in these ad hom. attacks. It's when we lose track of "Richard," we become the very persons - easy targets - our "enemies" scoff at.
Judy Loyaulte me lie

On Monday, April 20, 2015 11:05 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <> wrote:

When did your last pro Richard book come out Pam? And tell me Hilary, what was your contribution to the Looking For Richard project?
And as I said in my previous post I find your comment about the pre contract extraordinary! What you are saying with "apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler" is basically Richard had no right to the throne and the evidence was manufactured.
Paul

I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about. Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an argument in your book. Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler; it could have been concocted by someone (no not Richard) who wanted to destabilise the throne. As I said to Marie the other week, I have lots of names that fit together, but I can't write history based on surmises, which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again ..... And what finally stitches it for me are the countless snide comments about Leicester (the Cathedral, the City, the University). Actually without their commitment Richard wouldn't have been dug up. As my lady from Leicester said, everyone knew where he was but no-one would take the punt on looking for a potential child-murderer. I reckon folk neglect the fact that it could have backfired terribly had not Richard had so many supporters willing to argue his case. And I have always been for York! So please stop bitching about Leicester JAH, they did a good and honourable job in the end and Richard now has his own town rather than being subsumed into the melee of other monarchs. Rant over. I admire JAH's work and always buy his books, but lately he seems to be churning out stuff which re-iterates his own views which have gone from supposition to tablets of stone. Sorry. (And the rant wasn't addressed at you Paul :) ) H vie From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <>

III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 17:20:21
Pamela Bain
Sorry Paul, as I have stated many times, I am not a scholar nor a writer. I was simply making a supposition, and not assailing the man. Sorry I hit a sore spot for you. I do apologize, to you and to Dr. Ashton-Hill.

On Apr 20, 2015, at 11:05 AM, Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... [] <> wrote:

And as I said in my previous post I find your comment about the pre contract extraordinary! What you are saying with "apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler" is basically Richard had no right to the throne and the evidence was manufactured.
Paul

III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 18:54:00
b.eileen25
Casting aside for the moment JAH's books I'd like to comment on the whether the precontract story is true or no. I believe totally that it was as you surely can not get stronger proof/evidence that Parliament accepted it and the drawing up of Titulous Regius...you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all,of the people all of the time and these were the best brains of the time. Of course stuff went on that we don't know about and I'm sure as eggs are eggs that some proof must been produced. This matter was dynamite..As I understand it there was also rumours going around before Edward popped his cloggs that he had treated a lady of he Warwick family badly. And what of Stillington? Why would he have lied and opened up a can of worms that in actual fact led to his downfall...why would he, an elderly man put himself in that position...Someone wrote...Vergil?...that EW was troubled by the fear that her children would never take the throne...no wonder!
To wind up...if Richard did know the precontract story was untrue ...and I pretty certain he would have got to the bottom of it if it had been made up ..he could truely be called a usurper...I don't think so...I think from what we do know that he was completely thrown into the deep end when the story emerged. However as to whether Stillington was actually at the marriage I don't know...none of us do and who knew about the precontract and who didn't well...we don't know because they took it to their graves with them. Eileen

2015-04-20 19:02:27
Hilary Jones
I'm sorry; I had no intention or upsetting or attacking anyone (no not even John Ashdown-Hill: writing history is dangerous when you get it wrong and it's easy to get a bit wrong ) but I have a right to my point of view as does everyone who critiques a book on Amazon. JAH's doctorate is in Modern Languages, not History, and sometimes, because of his enthusiasm, he lacks the rigour of the latter discipline. When you publish you risk criticism just or unjust, that's something every author on here will know. And when you get it wrong the opposition, and I mean the opposition to Richard, will wade in and exploit, just as we do with them. So it's not about us arguing (which I certainly am not) but about our members getting even tiny things wrong which then devalue all the good arguments they and we as a body put forward. As for the Eleanor Butler story being manufactured (and I did say not to help Richard) we can really never know, can we? And it has absolutely nothing to do with Richard being in the right or in the wrong. He clearly believed it was true, so as far as his morality is concerned there is nothing to fear. H
To: "" <>
Sent: Monday, 20 April 2015, 17:18
Subject: Re: Mythology

People, please, please - cease this bickering! And I say this without pointing the finger at any particular person, so try to understand.
We weaken our Goal, which is Richard, when we engage in these ad hom. attacks. It's when we lose track of "Richard," we become the very persons - easy targets - our "enemies" scoff at.
Judy Loyaulte me lie

On Monday, April 20, 2015 11:05 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <> wrote:

Paul

III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 19:13:54
Paul Trevor Bale
Thanks you Pamela. I appreciate that.
Paul

On 20/04/2015 17:20, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] wrote:
Sorry Paul, as I have stated many times, I am not a scholar nor a writer. I was simply making a supposition, and not assailing the man. Sorry I hit a sore spot for you. I do apologize, to you and to Dr. Ashton-Hill.

On Apr 20, 2015, at 11:05 AM, Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... [] <> wrote:

And as I said in my previous post I find your comment about the pre contract extraordinary! What you are saying with "apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler"  is basically Richard had no right to the throne and the evidence was manufactured.
Paul

I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about.   Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an argument in your book. Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler; it could have been concocted by someone (no not Richard) who wanted to destabilise the throne. As I said to Marie the other week, I have lots of names that fit together, but I can't write history based on surmises, which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again .....   And what finally stitches it for me are the countless snide comments about Leicester (the Cathedral, the City, the University). Actually without their commitment Richard wouldn't have been dug up. As my lady from Leicester said, everyone knew where he was but no-one would take the punt on looking for a potential child-murderer. I reckon folk neglect the fact that it could have backfired terribly had not Richard had so many supporters willing to argue his case. And I have always been for York! So please stop bitching about Leicester JAH, they did a good and honourable job in the end and Richard now has his own town rather than being subsumed into the melee of other monarchs.   Rant over. I admire JAH's work and always buy his books, but lately he seems to be churning out stuff which re-iterates his own views which have gone from supposition to tablets of stone. Sorry. (And the rant wasn't addressed at you Paul :) ) H vie From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <>

III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 19:16:10
Hilary Jones
I think you've said in your last para what I was tyring to say Eileen. Anyway, the one I do find interesting in this is Thomas Burdett. Now from digging around he seems to have had two wives - Agnes Waldiffe, whom he divorced in 1444, and one Margaret Rodney. Now the only candidate I can find is the Margarent Rodney who was married to Sir John Hill (died 1466) and was the daughter of Sir Walter Rodney of Stoke Rodney Somerset and Margaret Hungerford of Farliegh Hungerford. Now if he was married o her, that puts him bang in opposition territory, Margaret Hungerford's mother was a Courtenay, Clarence, as we know was given Farleigh by Edward. The Hungerfords/Courtnenays were Lanc/HT - I don't think anyone would dispute that (but they could)? And this is of course also in Twynyho, Cheddar, Stillington, Newton, Talbot country. So why was Burdett conspiring with Clarence, not against him? Or was he conspiring with him and one of these turned him in? Or was he not conspiring at all? That's why I do wish JAH had spent more time on the Twynyho/Burdett issues. And somewhere in all this potentially sits dispossessed Anne Beauchamp? H
To:
Sent: Monday, 20 April 2015, 18:53

Casting aside for the moment JAH's books I'd like to comment on the whether the precontract story is true or no. I believe totally that it was as you surely can not get stronger proof/evidence that Parliament accepted it and the drawing up of Titulous Regius...you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all,of the people all of the time and these were the best brains of the time. Of course stuff went on that we don't know about and I'm sure as eggs are eggs that some proof must been produced. This matter was dynamite..As I understand it there was also rumours going around before Edward popped his cloggs that he had treated a lady of he Warwick family badly. And what of Stillington? Why would he have lied and opened up a can of worms that in actual fact led to his downfall...why would he, an elderly man put himself in that position...Someone wrote...Vergil?...that EW was troubled by the fear that her children would never take the throne...no wonder!
To wind up...if Richard did know the precontract story was untrue ...and I pretty certain he would have got to the bottom of it if it had been made up ..he could truely be called a usurper...I don't think so...I think from what we do know that he was completely thrown into the deep end when the story emerged. However as to whether Stillington was actually at the marriage I don't know...none of us do and who knew about the precontract and who didn't well...we don't know because they took it to their graves with them. Eileen

2015-04-20 19:22:33
Paul Trevor Bale
Well said Eileen. As for those involved taking it to their graves, I would also, again, suggest that any documentary proof will have gone up in the flames Vergil lit when 'researching' his History for Tudor.
You reiterate my earlier point that Parliament would not have just nodded and said 'OK mate fine by us' without detailed personal and documentary evidence, and most MPs at that time were lawyers.
If Parliament accepted it as fact, it happened.
Paul

On 20/04/2015 18:53, cherryripe.eileenb@... [] wrote:
Casting aside for the moment JAH's books I'd like to comment on the whether the precontract story is true or no.  I believe totally that it was as you surely can not get stronger proof/evidence that Parliament accepted it and the drawing up of Titulous Regius...you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all,of the people all of the time and these were the best brains of the time.  Of course stuff went on that we don't know about and  I'm sure as eggs are eggs that some proof must been produced.  This matter was dynamite.. As I understand it there was also rumours going around before Edward popped his cloggs that he had treated a lady of he Warwick family badly.  And what of Stillington?  Why would he have lied and opened up a can of worms that in actual fact led to his downfall...why would he, an elderly man put himself in that position...Someone wrote...Vergil?...that EW was troubled by the fear that her children would never take the throne...no wonder!  
To wind up...if Richard did know the precontract story was untrue ...and I pretty certain he would have got to the bottom of it if it had been made up ..he could truely be called a usurper...I don't think so...I think from what we do know that he was completely thrown into the deep end when the story emerged.  However as to whether Stillington was actually at the marriage I don't know...none of us do and who knew about the precontract and who didn't well...we don't know because they took it to their graves with them.  Eileen

2015-04-20 19:23:31
Stephen

John’s doctorate is in history and “Beloved Cousin” was based on his dissertation.

Furthermore, he has piled up the evidence for the fact of the pre-contract. In “Eleanor”, he showed how and when it is likely to have happened, how Edward behaved the same way with EW, how Clarence was executed and Stillington imprisoned twice, how the Three Estates believed the evidence and petitioned Richard, how Catesby was executed and how “Tudor” covered up “Titulus Regius” but the truth escaped. In “Royal Marriage Secrets”, he showed that this happened in several other significant cases and now he has connected Burdett to the case. Our Brian has shown how two of Lady Eleanor’s sister’s servants were executed shortly after her death. It all adds up to a powerful case that outweighs the Cairo-dwellers’ squeals decisively and for it to have been manufactured requires anyone to guess at a widowed lady who was already dead, with no ongoing support and who had been in the right place from February 1460/1 to before the Woodville “marriage”.

To assume the pre-contract answers all questions but to assume otherwise requires significant mental gymnastics.

Sent: 20 April 2015 19:02
To:
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology

I'm sorry; I had no intention or upsetting or attacking anyone (no not even John Ashdown-Hill: writing history is dangerous when you get it wrong and it's easy to get a bit wrong ) but I have a right to my point of view as does everyone who critiques a book on Amazon. JAH's doctorate is in Modern Languages, not History, and sometimes, because of his enthusiasm, he lacks the rigour of the latter discipline. When you publish you risk criticism just or unjust, that's something every author on here will know.

And when you get it wrong the opposition, and I mean the opposition to Richard, will wade in and exploit, just as we do with them. So it's not about us arguing (which I certainly am not) but about our members getting even tiny things wrong which then devalue all the good arguments they and we as a body put forward. As for the Eleanor Butler story being manufactured (and I did say not to help Richard) we can really never know, can we? And it has absolutely nothing to do with Richard being in the right or in the wrong. He clearly believed it was true, so as far as his morality is concerned there is nothing to fear. H

To: " " < >

We weaken our Goal, which is Richard, when we engage in these ad hom. attacks. It's when we lose track of "Richard," we become the very persons

- easy targets - our "enemies" scoff at.

Judy

Loyaulte me lie

On Monday, April 20, 2015 11:05 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" < > wrote:

Paul

I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about.

Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an argument in your book. Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler; it could have been concocted by someone (no not Richard) who wanted to destabilise the throne. As I said to Marie the other week, I have lots of names that fit together, but I can't write history based on surmises, which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again .....

And what finally stitches it for me are the countless snide comments about Leicester (the Cathedral, the City, the University). Actually without their commitment Richard wouldn't have been dug up. As my lady from Leicester said, everyone knew where he was but no-one would take the punt on looking for a potential child-murderer. I reckon folk neglect the fact that it could have backfired terribly had not Richard had so many supporters willing to argue his case. And I have always been for York ! So please stop bitching about Leicester JAH, they did a good and honourable job in the end and Richard now has his own town rather than being subsumed into the melee of other monarchs.

Rant over. I admire JAH's work and always buy his books, but lately he seems to be churning out stuff which re-iterates his own views which have gone from supposition to tablets of stone. Sorry. (And the rant wasn't addressed at you Paul :) ) H

vie From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <>
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology

III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 19:31:33
b.eileen25
When we had one of the profs from Leicester Uni give a talk in our village hall about medieval Cotwold villages the name Burdett cropped up...after the talk I managed to ask him about the Burdetts/Clarence he managed to say ..before he was swamped by admiring ladies..that the Burdetts were all nasty pieces of work or similar...not very enlightening...
By the by I don't know but I'm wondering if someone in my village has contacts with the Uni because we have Buckley giving a talk about the discovery of Richard in November...it's not as if we are near Leicester...? Hmmmm...

2015-04-20 19:46:46
b.eileen25
Its the one thing we can be certain of Paul and followed up,with the Three Estates offering Richard the crown...well says it all doesn't it...Don't forget also that on Richard's arrival in London the Counsel did not let Richard have it all his own way which implies that they, the Counsel/Parliament were just going to roll over and let him take the Crown just like that...there,must have been amongst them some men of integrity who would have made a stand if they felt he was overstepping the mark.even if they died for it....After all HT never held up the Titulous Regius as an example of Richard's duplicity and usurpation...no...he had all ..well almost all ...copies destroyed...Eileen

2015-04-20 19:49:19
Hilary Jones
What are Cairo-dwellers Stephen, honest I don't know? I don't want to prolong this but it all hinges on those words 'is likely'. It could just have easily been John Newton who knew about Eleanor, her brother-in-law, he was a lawyer, well-rewarded by Edward as a Justice of Common Pleas in the next few years, religious, and a descendant of Tudor to boot. That's the problem with 'is likely' - I can make a case, Hancock can make a case for Catesby (which I don't believe) and so on and so on. That's not to pour cold water on a lot of JAH's research. But until you can produce a piece of evidence, everything will always be 'is likely' and open to challenge by someone who thinks their theory is more likely than than yours. And nowhere is there evidence that Stillington married Edward and Eleanor, that's unless you count as proof a letter from Chapuys some hundred years' later. Most of the rest of what JAH says I can actually live with, at least at present. HPS It was JAH's own page which says his doctorate is in modern languages.
To:
Sent: Monday, 20 April 2015, 19:23
Subject: RE: Mythology

John's doctorate is in history and Beloved Cousin was based on his dissertation. Furthermore, he has piled up the evidence for the fact of the pre-contract. In Eleanor, he showed how and when it is likely to have happened, how Edward behaved the same way with EW, how Clarence was executed and Stillington imprisoned twice, how the Three Estates believed the evidence and petitioned Richard, how Catesby was executed and how Tudor covered up Titulus Regius but the truth escaped. In Royal Marriage Secrets, he showed that this happened in several other significant cases and now he has connected Burdett to the case. Our Brian has shown how two of Lady Eleanor's sister's servants were executed shortly after her death. It all adds up to a powerful case that outweighs the Cairo-dwellers' squeals decisively and for it to have been manufactured requires anyone to guess at a widowed lady who was already dead, with no ongoing support and who had been in the right place from February 1460/1 to before the Woodville marriage. To assume the pre-contract answers all questions but to assume otherwise requires significant mental gymnastics.

To:
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology I'm sorry; I had no intention or upsetting or attacking anyone (no not even John Ashdown-Hill: writing history is dangerous when you get it wrong and it's easy to get a bit wrong ) but I have a right to my point of view as does everyone who critiques a book on Amazon. JAH's doctorate is in Modern Languages, not History, and sometimes, because of his enthusiasm, he lacks the rigour of the latter discipline. When you publish you risk criticism just or unjust, that's something every author on here will know. And when you get it wrong the opposition, and I mean the opposition to Richard, will wade in and exploit, just as we do with them. So it's not about us arguing (which I certainly am not) but about our members getting even tiny things wrong which then devalue all the good arguments they and we as a body put forward. As for the Eleanor Butler story being manufactured (and I did say not to help Richard) we can really never know, can we? And it has absolutely nothing to do with Richard being in the right or in the wrong. He clearly believed it was true, so as far as his morality is concerned there is nothing to fear. H From: " Judy Thomson judygerard.thomson@... []" < >
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology Paul, you have my support. People, please, please - cease this bickering! And I say this without pointing the finger at any particular person, so try to understand. We weaken our Goal, which is Richard, when we engage in these ad hom. attacks. It's when we lose track of "Richard," we become the very persons - easy targets - our "enemies" scoff at. Judy Loyaulte me lie On Monday, April 20, 2015 11:05 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" < > wrote: What I find sad is that people are attacking him! Ricardians too!
Paul

On 20/04/2015 14:02, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] wrote: Very well said, and it is sad about JAH. Perhaps all the other fictions have had an effect on Ashton-Hill, and he is producing books faster and faster, and not as factuality well researched. It is sad to see, especially for all of you who have done such wonderful research.

On Apr 20, 2015, at 3:20 AM, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote: I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about. Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an argument in your book. Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler; it could have been concocted by someone (no not Richard) who wanted to destabilise the throne. As I said to Marie the other week, I have lots of names that fit together, but I can't write history based on surmises, which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again ..... And what finally stitches it for me are the countless snide comments about Leicester (the Cathedral, the City, the University). Actually without their commitment Richard wouldn't have been dug up. As my lady from Leicester said, everyone knew where he was but no-one would take the punt on looking for a potential child-murderer. I reckon folk neglect the fact that it could have backfired terribly had not Richard had so many supporters willing to argue his case. And I have always been for York ! So please stop bitching about Leicester JAH, they did a good and honourable job in the end and Richard now has his own town rather than being subsumed into the melee of other monarchs. Rant over. I admire JAH's work and always buy his books, but lately he seems to be churning out stuff which re-iterates his own views which have gone from supposition to tablets of stone. Sorry. (And the rant wasn't addressed at you Paul :) ) H vie From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <>
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology Anyone else reading John Ashdown-Hill's latest 'The Mythology of Richard
III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 19:52:52
b.eileen25
One more point Paul...re you wrote about Virgil and stuff going up in flames and that is its the victor gets to write the history...=

2015-04-20 19:53:51
Hilary Jones
I think he's right. Either T's father or grandfather was a nasty piece of work, I'll look it up. But then they were MPs :) :) Don't know about Leicester - seems a long way to commute to your part of the world.
To:
Sent: Monday, 20 April 2015, 19:31

When we had one of the profs from Leicester Uni give a talk in our village hall about medieval Cotwold villages the name Burdett cropped up...after the talk I managed to ask him about the Burdetts/Clarence he managed to say ..before he was swamped by admiring ladies..that the Burdetts were all nasty pieces of work or similar...not very enlightening...
By the by I don't know but I'm wondering if someone in my village has contacts with the Uni because we have Buckley giving a talk about the discovery of Richard in November...it's not as if we are near Leicester...? Hmmmm...

2015-04-20 19:56:48
b.eileen25
Yeah I know ...maybe he'll get lost.....on the other hand if Tesco Delivery can find us anyone can...Eileen

2015-04-20 19:59:16
Hilary Jones
That's a good point. For example the City (OK not parliament as such) caused a lot of problems for Warwick in 1471; in fact they scuppered him. I have never been anti-Richard in this, but you can see the advantages of, for example, an MB plot concocting something to de-stablise the Yorkist regime. Not that I believe it. H
To:
Sent: Monday, 20 April 2015, 19:46

Its the one thing we can be certain of Paul and followed up,with the Three Estates offering Richard the crown...well says it all doesn't it...Don't forget also that on Richard's arrival in London the Counsel did not let Richard have it all his own way which implies that they, the Counsel/Parliament were just going to roll over and let him take the Crown just like that...there,must have been amongst them some men of integrity who would have made a stand if they felt he was overstepping the mark.even if they died for it....After all HT never held up the Titulous Regius as an example of Richard's duplicity and usurpation...no...he had all ..well almost all ...copies destroyed...Eileen

2015-04-20 20:03:42
Stephen

Cairo dwellers are those a long way up denial.

John’s first degree included Modern Languages but his doctorate is in history. He has a complete case unless anyone has a scintilla of contrary evidence and his record in locating Richard and a DNA match attests to his accuracy.

Sent: 20 April 2015 19:49
To:

What are Cairo-dwellers Stephen, honest I don't know? I don't want to prolong this but it all hinges on those words 'is likely'. It could just have easily been John Newton who knew about Eleanor, her brother-in-law, he was a lawyer, well-rewarded by Edward as a Justice of Common Pleas in the next few years, religious, and a descendant of Tudor to boot. That's the problem with 'is likely' - I can make a case, Hancock can make a case for Catesby (which I don't believe) and so on and so on.

That's not to pour cold water on a lot of JAH's research. But until you can produce a piece of evidence, everything will always be 'is likely' and open to challenge by someone who thinks their theory is more likely than than yours. And nowhere is there evidence that Stillington married Edward and Eleanor, that's unless you count as proof a letter from Chapuys some hundred years' later. Most of the rest of what JAH says I can actually live with, at least at present. H

PS It was JAH's own page which says his doctorate is in modern languages.

To:
Subject: RE: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology

John’s doctorate is in history and “Beloved Cousin” was based on his dissertation.

Furthermore, he has piled up the evidence for the fact of the pre-contract. In “Eleanor”, he showed how and when it is likely to have happened, how Edward behaved the same way with EW, how Clarence was executed and Stillington imprisoned twice, how the Three Estates believed the evidence and petitioned Richard, how Catesby was executed and how “Tudor” covered up “Titulus Regius” but the truth escaped. In “Royal Marriage Secrets”, he showed that this happened in several other significant cases and now he has connected Burdett to the case. Our Brian has shown how two of Lady Eleanor’s sister’s servants were executed shortly after her death. It all adds up to a powerful case that outweighs the Cairo-dwellers’ squeals decisively and for it to have been manufactured requires anyone to guess at a widowed lady who was already dead, with no ongoing support and who had been in the right place from February 1460/1 to before the Woodville “marriage”.

To assume the pre-contract answers all questions but to assume otherwise requires significant mental gymnastics.

To:

I'm sorry; I had no intention or upsetting or attacking anyone (no not even John Ashdown-Hill: writing history is dangerous when you get it wrong and it's easy to get a bit wrong ) but I have a right to my point of view as does everyone who critiques a book on Amazon. JAH's doctorate is in Modern Languages, not History, and sometimes, because of his enthusiasm, he lacks the rigour of the latter discipline. When you publish you risk criticism just or unjust, that's something every author on here will know.

And when you get it wrong the opposition, and I mean the opposition to Richard, will wade in and exploit, just as we do with them. So it's not about us arguing (which I certainly am not) but about our members getting even tiny things wrong which then devalue all the good arguments they and we as a body put forward. As for the Eleanor Butler story being manufactured (and I did say not to help Richard) we can really never know, can we? And it has absolutely nothing to do with Richard being in the right or in the wrong. He clearly believed it was true, so as far as his morality is concerned there is nothing to fear. H

Judy

Loyaulte me lie

On Monday, April 20, 2015 11:05 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" < > wrote:style='font-family:Helvetica;color:black'>

Paul

I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about.

Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an argument in your book. Besides, apart from the statement in Richard's Parliament, we have no actual proof that Edward did marry Eleanor Butler; it could have been concocted by someone (no not Richard) who wanted to destabilise the throne. As I said to Marie the other week, I have lots of names that fit together, but I can't write history based on surmises, which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again .....

And what finally stitches it for me are the countless snide comments about Leicester (the Cathedral, the City, the University). Actually without their commitment Richard wouldn't have been dug up. As my lady from Leicester said, everyone knew where he was but no-one would take the punt on looking for a potential child-murderer. I reckon folk neglect the fact that it could have backfired terribly had not Richard had so many supporters willing to argue his case. And I have always been for York ! So please stop bitching about Leicester JAH, they did a good and honourable job in the end and Richard now has his own town rather than being subsumed into the melee of other monarchs.

Rant over. I admire JAH's work and always buy his books, but lately he seems to be churning out stuff which re-iterates his own views which have gone from supposition to tablets of stone. Sorry. (And the rant wasn't addressed at you Paul :) ) H

vie From: "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <>
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology

III'?
remains!
One does wonder.
Paul

2015-04-20 20:12:25
b.eileen25
Stephen wrote 'two of Eleanor's sisters servants were executed after her death....'...I never knew that ! It makes you wonder.....Eileen

2015-04-20 20:38:18
b.eileen25
Hilary wrote...'an MB plot to destabilise ....I don't believe it'....nor I Hilary...what a tortuous route to take...it's not something you could make up is it....especially in such a short space of time...Eileen

2015-04-20 21:08:36
b.eileen25
Besides, Stillington, who broke the news, was a Yorkist...now if it had been Morton...ah that is another matter...Eileen

2015-04-21 07:57:41
Paul Trevor Bale
John is also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and they don't hand out fellowships to anybody.
Paul

On 20/04/2015 19:49, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] wrote:
  What are Cairo-dwellers Stephen, honest I don't know? I don't want to prolong this but it all hinges on those words 'is likely'. It could just have easily been John Newton who knew about Eleanor, her brother-in-law, he was a lawyer, well-rewarded by Edward as a Justice of Common Pleas in the next few years, religious,  and a descendant of Tudor to boot. That's the problem with 'is likely' - I can make a case, Hancock can make a case for Catesby (which I don't believe) and so on and so on.   That's not to pour cold water on a lot of JAH's research. But until you can produce a piece of evidence, everything will always be 'is likely' and open to challenge by someone who thinks their theory is more likely than than yours. And nowhere is there evidence that Stillington married Edward and Eleanor, that's unless you count as proof a letter from Chapuys some hundred years' later. Most of the rest of what JAH says I can actually live with, at least at present. H PS It was JAH's own page which says his doctorate is in modern languages. 
To:

John's doctorate is in history and Beloved Cousin was based on his dissertation.   Furthermore, he has piled up the evidence for the fact of the pre-contract. In Eleanor, he showed how and when it is likely to have happened, how Edward behaved the same way with EW, how Clarence was executed and Stillington imprisoned twice, how the Three Estates believed the evidence and petitioned Richard, how Catesby was executed and how Tudor covered up Titulus Regius but the truth escaped. In Royal Marriage Secrets, he showed that this happened in several other significant cases and now he has connected Burdett to the case. Our Brian has shown how two of Lady Eleanor's sister's servants were executed shortly after her death. It all adds up to a powerful case that outweighs the Cairo-dwellers' squeals decisively and for it to have been manufactured requires anyone to guess at a widowed lady who was already dead, with no ongoing support and who had been in the right place from February 1460/1 to before the Woodville marriage.   To assume the pre-contract answers all questions but to assume otherwise requires significant mental gymnastics.

To:
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology     I'm sorry; I had no intention or upsetting or attacking anyone (no not even John Ashdown-Hill: writing history is dangerous when you get it wrong and it's easy to get a bit wrong ) but I have a right to my point of view as does everyone who critiques a book on Amazon. JAH's doctorate is in Modern Languages, not History, and sometimes, because of his enthusiasm, he lacks the rigour of the latter discipline. When you publish you risk criticism just or unjust, that's something every author on here will know.   And when you get it wrong the opposition, and I mean the opposition to Richard, will wade in and exploit, just as we do with them. So it's not about us arguing (which I certainly am not) but about our members getting even tiny things wrong which then devalue all the good arguments they and we as a body put forward. As for the Eleanor Butler story being manufactured (and I did say not to help Richard) we can really never know, can we? And it has absolutely nothing to do with Richard being in the right or in the wrong. He clearly believed it was true, so as far as his morality is concerned there is nothing to fear.  H   From: " Judy Thomson judygerard.thomson@... []" < >
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology     Paul, you have my support.   People, please, please - cease this bickering! And I say this without pointing the finger at any particular person, so try to understand.    We weaken our Goal, which is Richard, when we engage in these ad hom. attacks. It's when we lose track of "Richard," we become the very persons  - easy targets - our "enemies" scoff at.   Judy   Loyaulte me lie     On Monday, April 20, 2015 11:05 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" < > wrote:     What I find sad is that people are attacking him! Ricardians too!
Paul

On 20/04/2015 14:02, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] wrote: Very well said, and it is sad about JAH. Perhaps all the other fictions have had an effect on Ashton-Hill, and he is producing books faster and faster, and not as factuality well researched. It is sad to see, especially for all of you who have done such wonderful research.

On Apr 20, 2015, at 3:20 AM, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:   I have started to read it Paul. I knew that Jane Bruyn, Thomas's mother had been lady in waiting to the Countess of Warwick, which is not surprising as the Burdetts had been MPs for Warwick and Sheriffs of Worcs (Arrow is on the border of both counties). I do think JAH neglected this and the Twynyho incident when he published his Clarence book. That's what I wanted to read about.   Re the book itself, I am beginning to worry about JAH. He makes categorical statement about things which he cannot prove - according to him Stillington carried out the marriage to Eleanor Butler! It's wrong to criticise the mythology of others when you create it yourself to back up an

(Message over 64 KB, truncated)

2015-04-21 09:58:22
Hilary Jones
Of course Newton, who was a Welshman and a 'Tudor' could have told Stillington (whose grandaughters were to marry his sons) and it could have been the truth or a scurrilous lie - personally I think the former because Newton seems to have been a religious man, but you never know. The Talbots (apart from Elizabeth who also had no cause to love Edward) and their associates were always likely to be in the Tudor camp as were most on the north westerly borders. But as you say it's a convoluted way to cause chaos. All the Somerset gang did incredibly well under the Tudors and of course Henry VIII's marriage to Jane Seymour took him right back to Tudor support roots. I bet the ghost of MB was patting him on the back. H
To:
Sent: Monday, 20 April 2015, 21:08

Besides, Stillington, who broke the news, was a Yorkist...now if it had been Morton...ah that is another matter...Eileen

2015-04-21 11:13:59
Eva D
am new to this group so have some things to catch up to, but what is 'George height thing...' about? From: "Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... []" <>
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2015 10:20 AM

..... which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again ...

2015-04-21 11:52:20
Janjovian
I do feel that I have to support you about John Ashdown Hill, Paul.
I feel sure that he doesn't get everything right, no one does, but he has done some amazing work, and we in the society have much to thank him for.
It is easy to sneer, but he has a proven track record, and I would take his word on many things because of that alone.

JessFrom: Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []
Sent: 21/04/2015 07:57
To:

John is also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and they don't hand out fellowships to anybody.
Paul

What are Cairo-dwellers Stephen, honest I don't know? I don't want to prolong this but it all hinges on those words 'is likely'. It could just have easily been John Newton who knew about Eleanor, her brother-in-law, he was a lawyer, well-rewarded by Edward as a Justice of Common Pleas in the next few years, religious, and a descendant of Tudor to boot. That's the problem with 'is likely' - I can make a case, Hancock can make a case for Catesby (which I don't believe) and so on and so on. That's not to pour cold water on a lot of JAH's research. But until you can produce a piece of evidence, everything will always be 'is likely' and open to challenge by someone who thinks their theory is more likely than than yours. And nowhere is there evidence that Stillington married Edward and Eleanor, that's unless you count as proof a letter from Chapuys some hundred years' later. Most of the rest of what JAH says I can actually live with, at least at present. H PS It was JAH's own page which says his doctorate is in modern languages.
To:

John's doctorate is in history and Beloved Cousin was based on his dissertation. Furthermore, he has piled up the evidence for the fact of the pre-contract. In Eleanor, he showed how and when it is likely to have happened, how Edward behaved the same way with EW, how Clarence was executed and Stillington imprisoned twice, how the Three Estates believed the evidence and petitioned Richard, how Catesby was executed and how Tudor covered up Titulus Regius but the truth escaped. In Royal Marriage Secrets, he showed that this happened in several other significant cases and now he has connected Burdett to the case. Our Brian has shown how two of Lady Eleanor's sister's servants were executed shortly after her death. It all adds up to a powerful case that outweighs the Cairo-dwellers' squeals decisively and for it to have been manufactured requires anyone to guess at a widowed lady who was already dead, with no ongoing support and who had been in the right place from February 1460/1 to before the Woodville marriage. To assume the pre-contract answers all questions but to assume otherwise requires significant mental gymnastics.

To:
Subject: Re: [Richard III Society Forum] Mythology I'm sorry; I had no intention or upsetting or attacking anyone (no not even John Ashdown-Hill: writing history is dangerous when you get it wrong and it's easy to get a bit wrong ) but I have a right to my point of view as does everyone who critiques a book on Amazon. JAH's doctorate is in Modern Languages, not History, and sometimes, because of his enthusiasm, he lacks the rigour of the latter discipline. When you publish you risk criticism just or unjust, that's something every author on here will know. And when you get it wrong the opposition, and I mean the opposition to Richard, will wade in and exploit, just as we do with them. So it's not about us arguing (which I certainly am not) but about our members getting even tiny things wrong which then devalue all the good arguments they and we as a body put forward. As for the Eleanor Butler story being manufactured (and I did say not to help Richard) we can really never know, can we? And it has absolutely nothing to do with Richard being in the right or in the wrong. He clearly believed it was true, so as far as his morality is concerned there is nothing to fear. H From: " Judy Thomson judygerard.thomson@... []" < >
[The entire original message is not included.]

2015-04-21 12:05:03
Nicholas Brown
Stephen wrote 'two of Eleanor's sisters servants were executed after her death....'.
Which sister was it and when were they executed?
Nico

On Tuesday, 21 April 2015, 11:15, "Eva D domelaeva@... []" <> wrote:

am new to this group so have some things to catch up to, but what is 'George height thing...' about? From: "Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... []" <>

..... which is what JAH is starting to do. And then we have the George height thing again ...

2015-04-21 12:23:39
Stephen

http://yorkistage.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/a-mystery-from-1468.html

Sent: 21 April 2015 12:02
To:

Stephen wrote 'two of Eleanor's sisters servants were executed after her death....'.

Which sister was it and when were they executed?

Nico

On Tuesday, 21 April 2015, 11:15, "Eva D domelaeva@... []" < > wrote:

am new to this group so have some things to catch up to, but what is 'George height thing...' about?

2015-04-21 12:57:29
Paul Trevor Bale
Thank you Jess.
I've never actually met John, though I nearly did in Leicester, but I have an enormous respect for his work on the Looking For Richard project, and his continuing research into Richard's world.
Paul

On 21/04/2015 11:52, Janjovian janjovian@... [] wrote:
I feel sure that he doesn't get everything right, no one does, but he has done some amazing work, and we in the society have much to thank him for.
It is easy to sneer, but he has a proven track record, and I would take his word on many things because of that alone.

Jess From: Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []
To:

Paul

What are Cairo-dwellers Stephen, honest I don't know? I don't want to prolong this but it all hinges on those words 'is likely'. It could just have easily been John Newton who knew about Eleanor, her brother-in-law, he was a lawyer, well-rewarded by Edward as a Justice of Common Pleas in the next few years, religious,  and a descendant of Tudor to boot. That's the problem with 'is likely' - I can make a case, Hancock can make a case for Catesby (which I don't believe) and so on and so on.   That's not to pour cold water on a lot of JAH's research. But until you can produce a piece of evidence, everything will always be 'is likely' and open to challenge by someone who thinks their theory is more likely than than yours. And nowhere is there evidence that Stillington married Edward and Eleanor, that's unless you count as proof a letter from Chapuys some hundred years' later. Most of the rest of what JAH says I can actually live with, at least at present. H PS It was JAH's own page which says his doctorate is in modern languages. 
To:

John's doctorate is in history and Beloved Cousin was based on his dissertation.   Furthermore, he has piled up the evidence for the fact of the pre-contract. In Eleanor, he showed how and when it is likely to have happened, how Edward behaved the same way with EW, how Clarence was executed and Stillington imprisoned twice, how the Three Estates believed the evidence and petitioned Richard, how Catesby was executed and how Tudor covered up Titulus Regius but the truth escaped. In Royal Marriage Secrets, he showed that this happened in several other significant cases and now he has connected Burdett to the case. Our Brian has shown how two of Lady Eleanor's sister's servants were executed shortly after her death. It all adds up to a powerful case that outweighs the Cairo-dwellers' squeals decisively and for it to have been manufactured requires anyone to guess at a widowed lady who was already dead, with no ongoing support and who had been in the right place from February 1460/1 to before the Woodville marriage.   To assume the pre-contract answers all questions but to assume otherwise requires significant mental gymnastics.

To:
Subject: Re: Mythology     I'm sorry; I had no intention or upsetting or attacking anyone (no not even John Ashdown-Hill: writing history is dangerous when you get it wrong and it's easy to get a bit wrong ) but I have a right to my point of view as does everyone who critiques a book on Amazon. JAH's doctorate is in Modern Languages, not History, and sometimes, because of his enthusiasm, he lacks the rigour of the latter discipline. When you publish you risk criticism just or unjust, that's something every author on here will know.   And when you get it wrong the opposition, and I mean the opposition to Richard, will wade in and exploit, just as we do with them. So it's not about us arguing (which I certainly am not) but about our members getting even tiny things wrong which then devalue all the good arguments they and we as a body put forward. As for the Eleanor Butler story being manufactured (and I did say not to help Richard) we can really never know, can we? And it has absolutely nothing to do with Richard being in the right or in the wrong. He clearly believed it was true, so as far as his morality is concerned there is nothing to fear.  H   From: " Judy Thomson judygerard.thomson@... []" < >

2015-04-21 13:15:03
Jessie Skinner

I saw him speak at the Norwich branch study day last year and I was very impressed.
He is not only very well informed but also has an attractive and mischievous style which I enjoyed.

Jess

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

To: <>;
Sent: Tue, Apr 21, 2015 11:57:15 AM

Thank you Jess.
I've never actually met John, though I nearly did in Leicester, but I have an enormous respect for his work on the Looking For Richard project, and his continuing research into Richard's world.
Paul

On 21/04/2015 11:52, Janjovian janjovian@... [] wrote:

Jess From: Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []
To:

Paul

To:

To:
Subject: Re: Mythology     I'm sorry; I had no intention or upsetting or attacking anyone (no not even John Ashdown-Hill: writing history is dangerous when you get it wrong and it's easy to get a bit wrong ) but I have a right to my point of view as does everyone who critiques a book on Amazon. JAH's doctorate is in Modern Languages, not History, and sometimes, because of his enthusiasm, he lacks the rigour of the latter discipline. When you publish you risk criticism just or unjust, that's something every author on here will know.   And when you get it wrong the opposition, and I mean the opposition to Richard, will wade in and exploit, just as we do with them. So it's not about us arguing (which I certainly am not) but about our members getting even tiny things wrong which then devalue all the good arguments they and we as a body put forward. As for the Eleanor Butler story being manufactured (and I did say not to help Richard) we can really never know, can we? And it has absolutely nothing to do with Richard being in the right or in the wrong. He clearly believed it was true, so as far as his morality is concerned there is nothing to fear.  H   From: " Judy Thomson judygerard.thomson@... []" < >

2015-04-21 15:17:54
b.eileen25
Is it known where the Talbot marriage took place....roughly even...If Stillington's whereabouts could be ascertained would be enlightening ..one way or the other,,,Eileen

2015-04-21 15:56:34
Janjovian
That is an excellent question, Eileen.

JessFrom: cherryripe.eileenb@... []
Sent: 21/04/2015 15:17
To:

Is it known where the Talbot marriage took place....roughly even...If Stillington's whereabouts could be ascertained would be enlightening ..one way or the other,,,Eileen

2015-04-21 17:07:58
b.eileen25
According to the summary of events in JAHs Eleanor.....29 March 1461...Battle of Towton. Edward IV returns south via Norfolk...I can't see if JAH is suggesting this or if it known fact....? Eileen

2015-04-21 17:24:49
Hilary Jones
No English chronicler says that Stillington performed the marriage - only Commines giving a story some time later. He is said to have drafted TR (which given his acute legal mind he probably did) and Chapuys, years' later, has him being instrumental in Richard gaining the throne but not performing a marriage.He's an enigma to me. He was a good servant to Henry VI and attained the same office,Keeper of the Privy Purse, as he did later under Edward IV, which makes sense given the need for continuity. He had an acute legal mind (his Law is still quoted in Engish Precedent) and was not beyond appealing direct to the Pope over issues he didn't agree with in the Church, such as supposed maladministration of Prebendaries. Therefore, not a man who could be easily swayed by Edward or anyone else.He had a for a time a Prebendary in East Harptree Somerset where he came into contact with the Cheddars(Talbots) and the Newtons, whom his grandchildren were later to marry, yet as Bishop of Bath and Wells, he was known for not visiting his diocese.He needs a lot, lot more work. H From: "Janjovian janjovian@... []" <>
To:
Sent: Tuesday, 21 April 2015, 15:56

That is an excellent question, Eileen.

Jess

Sent: 21/04/2015 15:17
To:

2015-04-21 20:00:42
Hi Eva D.,
As nobody has answered your question about the George height thing, I'll try to explain. In his book "the Third Plantagenet", wich is about George of Clarence, John Ashdown Hill maintains that George was short in
stature, while Richard was of medium height. When George and Richard were in exile in Burgundy at the
ages of eleven and a half and eight and a half years, they wer described by the chronicler Jehan de Wavrin as being eight and nine years respectively. So he deduces that George looked two years younger than his true chronological age while Richard was about the correct chronological height for his age. Therefore,he
says, George was probably below average height.
For me personally this train of thought is not entirely convincing. How can we know if de Wavrins description was correct, if he really saw th boys long enough to estimate their age correctly. But JAH is quite convinced of his theory and finds traces in George's character that are typical for a short man.
Eva

2015-04-22 11:12:22
Eva D
hi Eva,thank you for clearing that up. there are still few things that i dont know so i appreciate it.
and have to agree with you completely, not fully convinced either
To:
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:00 PM

Hi Eva D.,
As nobody has answered your question about the George height thing, I'll try to explain. In his book "the Third Plantagenet", wich is about George of Clarence, John Ashdown Hill maintains that George was short in
stature, while Richard was of medium height. When George and Richard were in exile in Burgundy at the
ages of eleven and a half and eight and a half years, they wer described by the chronicler Jehan de Wavrin as being eight and nine years respectively. So he deduces that George looked two years younger than his true chronological age while Richard was about the correct chronological height for his age. Therefore,he
For me personally this train of thought is not entirely convincing. How can we know if de Wavrins description was correct, if he really saw th boys long enough to estimate their age correctly. But JAH is quite convinced of his theory and finds traces in George's character that are typical for a short man.
Eva

2015-04-22 11:55:08
Nicholas Brown
Thanks Stephen for. the blog post. That does seem to be a strange turn of events, with the servants being executed just after Eleanor died and the Duchess of Norfolk having to request a pardon. I wonder if it was because she let something slip and the servants repeated it.
Nico

On Wednesday, 22 April 2015, 11:05, "Eva D domelaeva@... []" <> wrote:

hi Eva,thank you for clearing that up. there are still few things that i dont know so i appreciate it.
and have to agree with you completely, not fully convinced either
To:
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:00 PM

Hi Eva D.,
Eva

2015-04-22 21:30:20
ricard1an
In Eleanor John discovered that Eleanor owned lands which were not part of her Dower lands. John didn't know where some of these lands were and wondered if it was possible that she had received these lands from Edward. I think that he had written an article in the Ricardian regarding one of the properties that could well have been given to her by Edward.
One was named as Caldicote, so I e-mailed him and said that there was a Caldicot in Monmouthshire. I looked on the internet and discovered that Caldicot Castle was part of Edward's Duchy of Lancaster lands that he had gained when he became King. John thought that it could be a possibility but there are also other places called Caldicote. When I spoke to him in Leicester he said that a lot more research would have to be done before he could say definitely that it was the Caldicote and obviously he had been a bit busy and had not had time to do the research. He also told me when he first knew about TR he decided to read up about Eleanor but discovered that no one had written anything about her. That's when he decided to do the research and "Eleanor the Secret Queen" was the result. There is a lot of compelling evidence in the book but nothing conclusive and he does not claim to have definitely proved that they were married, however, for me I think that there are lots of connections, particularly the death of the servants and the fact that she acted as a married woman not a widow, that make me think that they were married.

Re: Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

2015-05-20 08:42:26
Hilary Jones
Sorry to be so very long replying to this Mary - work called. Just a few side points. Your post made me look at the docs in the NA again. In them (or their heading translation) it says Caldicot and Draycott were in Wilts. If it was those, they belonged to the Stourtons and Longs according to BH online. But there are two Caldicots in Northants. Now one was actually confiscated by Edward in 1461 under the attainder of John Lovell (Francis's father) and given to Anne of Exeter according to BH online. Similarly Draycott in Warks is a stone's throw from Burton Dassett and would make total sense. Has anyone seen the orginal document? Secondly, Eleanor's will leaves her lands to sister Elizabeth, Thomas Throckmorton and John Eyers. Now JAH has Throckmorton as a lawyer. I can find no evidence of that anywhere. He (later knighted) was a High Sheriff of Warks and moved in the same circle as the Burdetts, the Montforts and the Beauchamps. He was also to own land in nearby Ladbroke with the Catesbys and of course the great collaboration of the Catesbys and Throckmortons was to come in 1605. This was a time when everyone would have been vying for land in the Burton Dassetts because of - sheep. So Eleanor's manor would have been coveted. Personally I don't think because the Burdetts, Catesbys and Throckmortons were linked with Eleanor's family it necessarily had any significance. Her mother was a Beauchamp and these all were like flies round a candle to the Beauchamps. Indeed it must have been a real shock when Richard Neville moved in. They were probably more interested in making money out of the Berkeley inheritance row. H
To:
Sent: Wednesday, 22 April 2015, 21:30

In Eleanor John discovered that Eleanor owned lands which were not part of her Dower lands. John didn't know where some of these lands were and wondered if it was possible that she had received these lands from Edward. I think that he had written an article in the Ricardian regarding one of the properties that could well have been given to her by Edward.
One was named as Caldicote, so I e-mailed him and said that there was a Caldicot in Monmouthshire. I looked on the internet and discovered that Caldicot Castle was part of Edward's Duchy of Lancaster lands that he had gained when he became King. John thought that it could be a possibility but there are also other places called Caldicote. When I spoke to him in Leicester he said that a lot more research would have to be done before he could say definitely that it was the Caldicote and obviously he had been a bit busy and had not had time to do the research. He also told me when he first knew about TR he decided to read up about Eleanor but discovered that no one had written anything about her. That's when he decided to do the research and "Eleanor the Secret Queen" was the result. There is a lot of compelling evidence in the book but nothing conclusive and he does not claim to have definitely proved that they were married, however, for me I think that there are lots of connections, particularly the death of the servants and the fact that she acted as a married woman not a widow, that make me think that they were married.

2015-05-20 14:08:47
mariewalsh2003

Hi Mary,

I also am a long time replying - missed this one first time round. Personally I don't think it's correct to say that Eleanor acted as a married woman, not a widow. John bases that on the fact that we have a reference to her "testament" rather than will, and he knew that married women needed their husband's permission to make a will.

The problem is that:-

a) "testament" was the normal shorthand for will and testament back then just as "will" is today; and

b) a married woman also needed her husband's permission to make a testament. The only property over which her husband had no control was her clothes.

In fact, Eleanor seems to have demised her property in the same way as nearly everyone else of her class at that period: settling her land by means of enfeoffments - i.e. trusts (I take it that is what the 'deeds of gift' that John found would actually have been), and using her will & testament to make arrangements for her burial, bequeath her goods and possibly give instructions to her feoffees. We don't have the testament so we can't know for sure.

Actually, if Eleanor had wanted to act as a married woman but had no husband to give her permissions, she would have been pretty much unable to do anything at all - it wasn't a practical proposition for her.

Anyway, to come back to the will. Re Hilary's post, it can't have been Eleanor's will that left Caldicote to her sister Elizabeth, Throckmorton and Eyres because John is sure the will is not extant. A demise with multiple names to me shrieks enfeoffment, probably to the use of the sister. That the other individuals named were lawyers would absolutely fit that interpretation.

Marie

2015-05-21 03:17:59
poohlandeva
Hi, I have been reading the Mythology of Richard III during the last couple of weeks and I have to admit to being disappointed. I think there are a number of good points: but also several things in the book actually had me very angry. I have read JHDs other books and been very pleased by them; this was a missed opportunity.
For one thing; the chapters are just too short and not detailed enough with few sources examined or other experts brought into the debate. The author does a good job debunking the usual myths but not enough time is spent on balancing out the evidence. Hence he is at risk of creating his own Richard III mythology.
Two, the book is too personal. When it comes to debunking and correcting the modern mythology coming out of Leicester University; much of what JHD has said, may be correct but it is also a lot of knit picking. He is correct to remind us that the lead was taken by the Looking For Richard Project not the University and that in fact much groundwork research was done before the Uni were even persuaded to come on board. He is also correct to give praise to Philippa Langley and to point out his own research; but some of the terms that he uses smacks of his own anger at being left out of much of the credit once the Uni started to publish its papers. He should have been given more credit for the initial research he did; but I think taking apart every little thing the uni says is a bit much. People always see things from their own point of view and sometimes you have to accept that, especially with academics; they call it academic snobbery and it is one of those things.
Three the attack on positive local traditions I find does JDH no credit at all. So what if Richard may not have heard Mass at Sutton Cheney; who cares? It states in everything that the Church of Saint James has published there and in their own statements that Richard III is believed to have heard Mass there on the eve of the Battle of Bosworth. It is not stated as a historical fact but as a local tradition. It is doing no harm to anyone and it is a possitive thing as Richard III is honoured in this local village church, where I stayed 15 days last year and hope to go back to in September, if my husband is able to come as well; and I can tell you now the local people love speaking of Richard as their local King and honour his memory in this village and church. How long did JHD stay there: has he even been there? These local legends and myths are not historical facts and I accept they cannot be proved to be so, but most are positive stories of Richard and the Battle and the days around this; they do not degrade Richard and they do not insult his memory; they are places people go to show respect for his memory. What harm are they doing if they state that it is a tradition or a belief? How can JHD know they are not true? Was he there in 1485? Some are improbable, yes, but his criticism goes too far and I found myself wanting to scream. I like local stories and traditions; as long as they say they are this or it is believed something is this; if a modern sign says to the contrary; why should the original story not also have been told? There are two places other than the so called well on the battlefield; one far too far in Sheepy for it to be real; but it is gaining ground over the original; there is a plaque but it states clearly it is only a tale. The criticism of the memorial stone that used to mark the place where it was once believed that Richard III was killed is nonsense. The stone does now stand in the courtyard at the Battlefield Centre; yes, but JDH omits the fact that although the stone is there and has its original inscription on, a plaque stands there clearly stating that this is not the place that Richard III was killed but that the stone was removed in 2005 after it became clear the original site was incorrect and the land closed off. It also states that this is where the stone was moved to; not this is where Richard III died. So JHD is creating his own myths. These are a few examples; but to local people they are important. We are not talking negative nonsense; we are talking positive local stories with a long tradition; which do no-one any harm and many which it is stated that it is only a story so why attack it?
I have stated that JHD does a reasonable job in debunking the main myths about Richard and his reputation; but there is not enough material in the book to fully explore the issues; I would have liked to have seen more sources and less of the book being dedicated to his personal battle with the University.

2015-05-21 03:32:44
poohlandeva
Sorry correction should read JAH not JDH.

2015-05-21 03:49:23
poohlandeva
Hi Maryfriend, I have to admit that having read Eleanor Butler's story by JAH I found his arguments that there was a contract between her and Edward to be very persuasive. He has put a lot of effort into bringing her story to life and to reconstructing her family life and the possible consumation of a relationship with Edward IV; his arguments are compelling. I am not convinced that an actual wedding took place, but that is just me personally, but given the arguments that JAH made in this brilliant study, I would not dismiss it either. I do believe that Edward consumated his relationship with Eleanor and that he made a promise to live with her as man and wife, which would have been enough in canon law to constitute a contractual agreement and a recognised 'marriage' but did Bishop Shillington actually marry them or was he a witness to a betrothal? Did Edward actually promise to marry Eleanor and mean it or did he make such a promise in order to get her into bed? He was a robust young man who seems to have had a long list of ladies that he tricked into his bed. Even without any proof; it is my personal belief that some promises were made and the couple slept together; partly because of the mythology that Edward had attatched to his name when it came to young women. I think he tricked Eleanor into bed by a promise of marriage. I would not be at all surprised if he did not do this more than once, but we have no evidence which has survived that we can show as a document to prove it. I believe that the book gives a good argument to show that other people knew about Edwards contract with Eleanor but said nothing. Why would this Bishop invent such a story? He had no reason to an he was believed to be honest and not corrupt. Richard may not have invented the story; he may have been just shocked and surprised, but having now been convinced that his nephew's were not legitimate; he had to act to secure the throne for the safety of the nation. It would be ideal if we had more solid evidence for the contract to be certain, but if nothing else, it sounds like something Edward IV would do. What I want to know is that when he then married Elizabeth Woodville, why did Eleanor or her father not say anything?

2015-05-21 09:26:49
Sandra Pidgeon
The four month delay between Edward's marriage to Elizabeth Woodville and his announcement of it has never, so far as I know, been satisfactorily explained. It was such an extraordinary thing to do, especially given the negotiations then going on for a high status foreign marriage. At least it is extraordinary IF Edward intended the marriage to stand. I have long thought he probably had every intention of treating EW exactly the same way as he treated Eleanor Butler. He wanted her, he couldn't get her without marriage so he orchestrated one with every intention of disentangling himself afterwards. The difference, I suspect, was that this time he was dealing with a very bright, very calculating, very ambitious woman (to say nothing of her mother) who made sure that he didn't walk away.

I have often wondered whether she simply said something like, 'We made sure there were concealed witnesses who saw everything and will swear to a valid marriage, if necessary. And if you attempt to marry some foreign princess, we will produce them.' So he either had to dispose of her, and probably her family, or make the best of it.

Pure speculation, I know. But it would fit the situation, I think. And the characters. And if not, why the four month silence?

Sent from my iPad

2015-05-21 09:39:41
Hilary Jones
Here's the link Marie http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/4210f998-bf7a-4ae2-a87e-2c9216b38cfd Looking again in the archives, Thomas Throckmorton is described as a 'knight of the shire' for Worcs - the village of Throckmorton is in Worcs and Coughton is on the Warks/Worcs border. He's appointed to distribute aid to the poor in 1446 and act as steward of Elmley Castle on behalf of John Talbot Lord Salisbury, Somerset and Lord Latimer in 1451. I can't find John Eyers (haven't looked under Aires though) but JAH says he was a servant of Alice (Deincourt) Sudeley. So presumably Eleanor was following her father's example. One slightly tangental thing to this is that, when I mentioned the Berkeley inheritance feud I wondered if Stillington, with his legal skills, had somehow been involved in the 1450s. You see, apart from a very brief appointment to the prebendary of East Harptree, I can find nothing to link him with the Newton/Gorges/Cholke set until his grandaughters became the wards of Sir Richard Cholke in the 1470s and married children of the others. We know that Sir Richard (Cradog) Newton, father of Sir John, was arbitrator in the inheritance dispute. If Stillington did have some involvement it would place him even nearer to the Talbots. Also, we know that Bishop Beckynton held a Prebendary in York near Stillington so he could in theory have passed notice of the talents of Stillington to the Newtons/Talbots? Do we know how detailed the Berkeley papers are on this period? H
To:
Sent: Wednesday, 20 May 2015, 14:08
Subject: Re: Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

Hi Mary,
I also am a long time replying - missed this one first time round. Personally I don't think it's correct to say that Eleanor acted as a married woman, not a widow. John bases that on the fact that we have a reference to her "testament" rather than will, and he knew that married women needed their husband's permission to make a will. The problem is that:-a) "testament" was the normal shorthand for will and testament back then just as "will" is today; andb) a married woman also needed her husband's permission to make a testament. The only property over which her husband had no control was her clothes.In fact, Eleanor seems to have demised her property in the same way as nearly everyone else of her class at that period: settling her land by means of enfeoffments - i.e. trusts (I take it that is what the 'deeds of gift' that John found would actually have been), and using her will & testament to make arrangements for her burial, bequeath her goods and possibly give instructions to her feoffees. We don't have the testament so we can't know for sure.Actually, if Eleanor had wanted to act as a married woman but had no husband to give her permissions, she would have been pretty much unable to do anything at all - it wasn't a practical proposition for her.Anyway, to come back to the will. Re Hilary's post, it can't have been Eleanor's will that left Caldicote to her sister Elizabeth, Throckmorton and Eyres because John is sure the will is not extant. A demise with multiple names to me shrieks enfeoffment, probably to the use of the sister. That the other individuals named were lawyers would absolutely fit that interpretation.
Marie

2015-05-21 09:55:02
Stephen

Because of the threat or likelihood of violence. We know that two of her sister’s servants were executed just weeks after Lady Eleanor died, that Clarence was executed with his attainder referring to a threat to Edward’s family and that Stillington was imprisoned.

Sent: 21 May 2015 03:49
To:
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: Mythology

Hi Maryfriend, I have to admit that having read Eleanor Butler's story by JAH I found his arguments that there was a contract between her and Edward to be very persuasive. He has put a lot of effort into bringing her story to life and to reconstructing her family life and the possible consumation of a relationship with Edward IV; his arguments are compelling. I am not convinced that an actual wedding took place, but that is just me personally, but given the arguments that JAH made in this brilliant study, I would not dismiss it either. I do believe that Edward consumated his relationship with Eleanor and that he made a promise to live with her as man and wife, which would have been enough in canon law to constitute a contractual agreement and a recognised 'marriage' but did Bishop Shillington actually marry them or was he a witness to a betrothal? Did Edward actually promise to marry Eleanor and mean it or did he make such a promise in ord er to get her into bed? He was a robust young man who seems to have had a long list of ladies that he tricked into his bed. Even without any proof; it is my personal belief that some promises were made and the couple slept together; partly because of the mythology that Edward had attatched to his name when it came to young women. I think he tricked Eleanor into bed by a promise of marriage. I would not be at all surprised if he did not do this more than once, but we have no evidence which has survived that we can show as a document to prove it. I believe that the book gives a good argument to show that other people knew about Edwards contract with Eleanor but said nothing. Why would this Bishop invent such a story? He had no reason to an he was believed to be honest and not corrupt. Richard may not have invented the story; he may have been just shocked and surprised, but having now been convinced that his nephew's were not legitimate; he had to act to secure the throne for the safety of the nation. It would be ideal if we had more solid evidence for the contract to be certain, but if nothing else, it sounds like something Edward IV would do. What I want to know is that when he then married Elizabeth Woodville, why did Eleanor or her father not say anything?

2015-05-21 11:17:46
Janjovian
There is also a Caldicot in Cambridgeshire.

JessFrom: Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... []
Sent: 20/05/2015 08:42
To:

Sorry to be so very long replying to this Mary - work called. Just a few side points. Your post made me look at the docs in the NA again. In them (or their heading translation) it says Caldicot and Draycott were in Wilts. If it was those, they belonged to the Stourtons and Longs according to BH online. But there are two Caldicots in Northants. Now one was actually confiscated by Edward in 1461 under the attainder of John Lovell (Francis's father) and given to Anne of Exeter according to BH online. Similarly Draycott in Warks is a stone's throw from Burton Dassett and would make total sense. Has anyone seen the orginal document? Secondly, Eleanor's will leaves her lands to sister Elizabeth, Thomas Throckmorton and John Eyers. Now JAH has Throckmorton as a lawyer. I can find no evidence of that anywhere. He (later knighted) was a High Sheriff of Warks and moved in the same circle as the Burdetts, the Montforts and the Beauchamps. He was also to own land in nearby Ladbroke with the Catesbys and of course the great collaboration of the Catesbys and Throckmortons was to come in 1605. This was a time when everyone would have been vying for land in the Burton Dassetts because of - sheep. So Eleanor's manor would have been coveted. Personally I don't think because the Burdetts, Catesbys and Throckmortons were linked with Eleanor's family it necessarily had any significance. Her mother was a Beauchamp and these all were like flies round a candle to the Beauchamps. Indeed it must have been a real shock when Richard Neville moved in. They were probably more interested in making money out of the Berkeley inheritance row. H
To:

2015-05-21 11:25:55
Hilary Jones
Yes I agree they are everywhere. I actually live at Caldicot Manor in Warks (an estate unfortunately not a manor house) which was owned by the Catesbys. And they all have different spellings of course. H
To:
Sent: Thursday, 21 May 2015, 11:17
Subject: RE: Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

There is also a Caldicot in Cambridgeshire.

Jess

Sent: 20/05/2015 08:42
To:

To:

2015-05-21 13:52:33
Paul Trevor Bale
Afraid I disagree. As for calling it too personal. That is like the producer who called my script about Richard's life a "bit too biographical".
All I can say is John's  passion for Richard shines from every page, and his wishes to see what he feels Richard would have wanted are clearly laid out with erudite, convincing arguments, based not only on feelings, but facts. There are extensive and numerous footnotes.
As for the Sutton Cheyney comment of who cares? John's point is that if you accept the little lie you may as well accept the big ones too. And that particular one is supported by the Richard the Third Society for some unknown reason, except that perhaps the Society organises an event there every year, and  'Society' in the 'Richard the Third Society' seems often to come before Richard.
Paul

On 21/05/2015 03:17, poohlandeva wrote:
Hi, I have been reading the Mythology of Richard III during the last couple of weeks and I have to admit to being disappointed.  I think there are a number of good points: but also several things in the book actually had me very angry.  I have read JHDs other books and been very pleased by them; this was a missed opportunity.
For one thing; the chapters are just too short and not detailed enough with few sources examined or other experts brought into the debate.  The author does a good job debunking the usual myths but not enough time is spent on balancing out the evidence.  Hence he is at risk of creating his own Richard III mythology.
Two, the book is too personal.  When it comes to debunking and correcting the modern mythology coming out of Leicester University; much of what JHD has said, may be correct but it is also a lot of knit picking.  He is correct to remind us that the lead was taken by the Looking F or Richard Project not the University and that in fact much groundwork research was done before the Uni were even persuaded to come on board.  He is also correct to give praise to Philippa Langley and to point out his own research; but some of the terms that he uses smacks of his own anger at being left out of much of the credit once the Uni started to publish its papers. He should have been given more credit for the initial research he did; but I think taking apart every little thing the uni says is a bit much.  People always see things from their own point of view and sometimes you have to accept that, especially with academics; they call it academic snobbery and it is one of those things.  
Three the attack on positive local traditions I find does JDH no credit at all.  So what if Richard may not have heard Mass at Sutton Cheney; who cares?   It states in everything that the Church of Saint James has published there and in their ow n statements that Richard III is believed to have heard Mass there on the eve of the Battle of Bosworth.  It is not stated as a historical fact but as a local tradition.  It is doing no harm to anyone and it is a possitive thing as Richard III is honoured in this local village church, where I stayed 15 days last year and hope to go back to in September, if my husband is able to come as well; and I can tell you now the local people love speaking of Richard as their local King and honour his memory in this village and church.  How long did JHD stay there: has he even been there?  These local legends and myths are not historical facts and I accept they cannot be proved to be so, but most are positive stories of Richard and the Battle and the days around this; they do not degrade Richard and they do not insult his memory; they are places people go to show respect for his memory.  What harm are they doing if they state that it is a tradition or a belief?  How can JHD know they are not true?  Was he there in 1485?   Some are improbable, yes, but his criticism goes too far and I found myself wanting to scream.  I like local stories and traditions; as long as they say they are this or it is believed something is this; if a modern sign says to the contrary; why should the original story not also have been told?  There are two places other than the so called well on the battlefield; one far too far in Sheepy for it to be real; but it is gaining ground over the original; there is a plaque but it states clearly it is only a tale.  The criticism of the memorial stone that used to mark the place where it was once believed that Richard III was killed is nonsense.  The stone does now stand in the courtyard at the Battlefield Centre; yes, but JDH omits the fact that although the stone is there and has its original inscription on, a plaque stands there clearly stating that this is not the place that Richard III was kille d but that the stone was removed in 2005 after it became clear the original site was incorrect and the land closed off.  It also states that this is where the stone was moved to; not this is where Richard III died.  So JHD is creating his own myths.  These are a few examples; but to local people they are important.  We are not talking negative nonsense; we are talking positive local stories with a long tradition; which do no-one any harm and many which it is stated that it is only a story so why attack it?
I have stated that JHD does a reasonable job in debunking the main myths about Richard and his reputation; but there is not enough material in the book to fully explore the issues; I would have liked to have seen more sources and less of the book being dedicated to his personal battle with the University.

2015-05-21 15:43:00
Janjovian
Personally, I love the church at Sutton Cheney.
However, I do regard the idea that Richard took mass there as just a nice story.
It is part of the "folk" process, by which stories are changed slightly with each telling.
I love it, but I also can differentiate fact from fiction.

JessFrom: Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []
Sent: 21/05/2015 13:52
To:
Subject: Re: Re: Mythology

Afraid I disagree. As for calling it too personal. That is like the producer who called my script about Richard's life a "bit too biographical".
All I can say is John's passion for Richard shines from every page, and his wishes to see what he feels Richard would have wanted are clearly laid out with erudite, convincing arguments, based not only on feelings, but facts. There are extensive and numerous footnotes.
As for the Sutton Cheyney comment of who cares? John's point is that if you accept the little lie you may as well accept the big ones too. And that particular one is supported by the Richard the Third Society for some unknown reason, except that perhaps the Society organises an event there every year, and 'Society' in the 'Richard the Third Society' seems often to come before Richard.
Paul

On 21/05/2015 03:17, poohlandeva wrote:
Hi, I have been reading the Mythology of Richard III during the last couple of weeks and I have to admit to being disappointed. I think there are a number of good points: but also several things in the book actually had me very angry. I have read JHDs other books and been very pleased by them; this was a missed opportunity.
For one thing; the chapters are just too short and not detailed enough with few sources examined or other experts brought into the debate. The author does a good job debunking the usual myths but not enough time is spent on balancing out the evidence. Hence he is at risk of creating his own Richard III mythology.
Two, the book is too personal. When it comes to debunking and correcting the modern mythology coming out of Leicester University; much of what JHD has said, may be correct but it is also a lot of knit picking. He is correct to remind us that the lead was taken by the Looking F or Richard Project not the University and that in fact much groundwork research was done before the Uni were even persuaded to come on board. He is also correct to give praise to Philippa Langley and to point out his own research; but some of the terms that he uses smacks of his own anger at being left out of much of the credit once the Uni started to publish its papers. He should have been given more credit for the initial research he did; but I think taking apart every little thing the uni says is a bit much. People always see things from their own point of view and sometimes you have to accept that, especially with academics; they call it academic snobbery and it is one of those things.
Three the attack on positive local traditions I find does JDH no credit at all. So what if Richard may not have heard Mass at Sutton Cheney; who cares? It states in everything that the Church of Saint James has published there and in their ow n statements that Richard III is believed to have heard Mass there on the eve of the Battle of Bosworth. It is not stated as a historical fact but as a local tradition. It is doing no harm to anyone and it is a possitive thing as Richard III is honoured in this local village church, where I stayed 15 days last year and hope to go back to in September, if my husband is able to come as well; and I can tell you now the local people love speaking of Richard as their local King and honour his memory in this village and church. How long did JHD stay there: has he even been there? These local legends and myths are not historical facts and I accept they cannot be proved to be so, but most are positive stories of Richard and the Battle and the days around this; they do not degrade Richard and they do not insult his memory; they are places people go to show respect for his memory. What harm are they doing if they state that it is a tradition or a belief? How can JHD know they are not true? Was he there in 1485? Some are improbable, yes, but his criticism goes too far and I found myself wanting to scream. I like local stories and traditions; as long as they say they are this or it is believed something is this; if a modern sign says to the contrary; why should the original story not also have been told? There are two places other than the so called well on the battlefield; one far too far in Sheepy for it to be real; but it is gaining ground over the original; there is a plaque but it states clearly it is only a tale. The criticism of the memorial stone that used to mark the place where it was once believed that Richard III was killed is nonsense. The stone does now stand in the courtyard at the Battlefield Centre; yes, but JDH omits the fact that although the stone is there and has its original inscription on, a plaque stands there clearly stating that this is not the place that Richard III was kille d but that the stone was removed in 2005 after it became clear the original site was incorrect and the land closed off. It also states that this is where the stone was moved to; not this is where Richard III died. So JHD is creating his own myths. These are a few examples; but to local people they are important. We are not talking negative nonsense; we are talking positive local stories with a long tradition; which do no-one any harm and many which it is stated that it is only a story so why attack it?

2015-05-21 18:02:57
mariewalsh2003

Yes, so it's a deed in the Warwick Record office, not Eleanor's will.

I don't see anything odd about Eleanor's land transactions myself, but I do think it likely the precontract was real enough. It is in keeping with Edward IV's behaviour, and if Richard and his cronies had decided to invent a precontract surely they would have chosen not just a dead woman but an obscure woman without powerful connections.

I don't know if the executions of Norfolk's servants in 1468 had anything to do with knowledge of the precontract - I just haven't looked into it. It's risky to assume that every unusual thing that happened to any of Eleanor's relations must have been caused by her big secret.

2015-05-21 18:11:43
mariewalsh2003

Hi Sandra,

Totally agree that the delayed announcement of the Woodville marriage is fishy, and that Elizabeth probably outclassed Edward and forced his hand.

Perhaps Elizabeth had witnesses hidden, but Edward might have made the promise in front of witnesses in the belief they would not actually dare to challenge him. I wonder if Elizabeth and her mother also made use of their Luxembourg connections to force Edward to honour his promise. They could even have sent the witnesses over there .....

If he had acknowledged her against his will, though, do you think it's odd that Edward didn't seem to resent Elizabeth? Or did her her determination and craftiness win his undying admiration?

2015-05-21 18:14:06
Stephen

Edward IV apparently had Butler of Ormond beheaded on the same day as he “married” ?!

Sent: 21 May 2015 18:12
To:
Subject: [Richard III Society Forum] Re: Mythology

Hi Sandra,

Totally agree that the delayed announcement of the Woodville marriage is fishy, and that Elizabeth probably outclassed Edward and forced his hand.

Perhaps Elizabeth had witnesses hidden, but Edward might have made the promise in front of witnesses in the belief they would not actually dare to challenge him. I wonder if Elizabeth and her mother also made use of their Luxembourg connections to force Edward to honour his promise. They could even have sent the witnesses over there .....

If he had acknowledged her against his will, though, do you think it's odd that Edward didn't seem to resent Elizabeth ? Or did her her determination and craftiness win his undying admiration?

2015-05-21 18:41:36
Arlene Okerlund
Even more perplexing: why did Bishop Stillington say nothing for 19 years (!) while Edward IV was married to Elizabeth and fathering ten children by a woman who was not his wife? As a Bishop, was Stillington not compelled to save the soul of his king, who was living in sin as a bigamist?

2015-05-21 19:40:47
Pamela Bain
Oh for a time machine.....

On May 21, 2015, at 12:11 PM, mariewalsh2003 <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Sandra,

If he had acknowledged her against his will, though, do you think it's odd that Edward didn't seem to resent Elizabeth? Or did her her determination and craftiness win his undying admiration?

2015-05-21 21:00:40
mariewalsh2003

If I'd been Stillington I would certainly have kept my mouth shut during Edfward IV's lifetime.

There is the odd matter of Stillington's imprisonment after Clarence's death. It can't have been the result of his having told Clarence about the precontract, because if Clarence had blabbed it Stillington would have been arrested much earlier, and the precontract story would have been old news in 1483. But it's possible that it made him particularly uneasy about Clarence's execution, and he unburdened himself to a third party, who informed on him. It's all speculation.

Also, canon law and the philosophy of marriage were one thing, but real life was another. There were many people who had made perfectly legal clandestine marriages but couldn't get them recognised by the Church because they had no witnesses, and had to watch a bigamous marriage being given the Church's blessing. And there was at least one case I have read about where the Church ruled in favour of a bigamous marriage similar to Edward and Elizabeth's for the sake of the children. There's no doubt that a prior clandestine marriage to Eleanor Butler would have made Edward's marriage to Elizabeth Woodville technically void and unable to be legalised, but it's also true that it was by 1483 a bit late, and a church court could just possibly have ruled that other considerations - the position of children who had been recognised as legitimate all their lives, the stability of the kingdom - outweighed the breach of rules, particularly since Eleanor herself had never come forward to 'claim' her marriage.

My own view is that the precontract probably was real but was only put forward now because of the political crisis. For Richard it must have seemed like a God-given way out.

2015-05-22 09:35:21
Hilary Jones
Yes I agree with all this Marie. BTW even if Stillington was 'in with the Talbot crowd' ie with the Newtons, Cheddars and Cholkes it doesn't mean he witnessed the pre-contract or even came by knowledge of it until much later, if at all, but I'm fascinated by how he came into association with them in the first place. During Henry VI's reign he was primarily a Yorkshire man moved to Oxford then London - he even swapped a prebendary to go back to Yorkshire. So how did he come to form longterm relationships in Somerset well before he was Bishop of a diocese he reputedly never visited? Trouble with this period is that everything starts to look suspicious when it was probably, say, a land deal around sheep. I belive Richard believed in the pre-contract so someone must have been very convincing ie said they were putting their soul at risk - they'd know Richard was a religious man.Whether he really wanted the job's another question - he had his own 'kingdom' in the North and he doesn't seem to have been the consummate courtier. On the other hand he was potentially a walking dead man once he'd executed Rivers and it did offer him the opportunity to put right some of the things he'd like to have done as Edward's deputy. So, as you say, it was God's will and probably another test like the scoliosis. In no way do I ever see him as a blase plotter. Has anyone been watching Prof Robert Bartlett's programmes on the Medieval Mind? I'm learning a lot from them, one has to say, without the flamboyance and bias of Starkey. H
To:
Sent: Thursday, 21 May 2015, 21:00

If I'd been Stillington I would certainly have kept my mouth shut during Edfward IV's lifetime.
There is the odd matter of Stillington's imprisonment after Clarence's death. It can't have been the result of his having told Clarence about the precontract, because if Clarence had blabbed it Stillington would have been arrested much earlier, and the precontract story would have been old news in 1483. But it's possible that it made him particularly uneasy about Clarence's execution, and he unburdened himself to a third party, who informed on him. It's all speculation.
Also, canon law and the philosophy of marriage were one thing, but real life was another. There were many people who had made perfectly legal clandestine marriages but couldn't get them recognised by the Church because they had no witnesses, and had to watch a bigamous marriage being given the Church's blessing. And there was at least one case I have read about where the Church ruled in favour of a bigamous marriage similar to Edward and Elizabeth's for the sake of the children. There's no doubt that a prior clandestine marriage to Eleanor Butler would have made Edward's marriage to Elizabeth Woodville technically void and unable to be legalised, but it's also true that it was by 1483 a bit late, and a church court could just possibly have ruled that other considerations - the position of children who had been recognised as legitimate all their lives, the stability of the kingdom - outweighed the breach of rules, particularly since Eleanor herself had never come forward to 'claim' her marriage.My own view is that the precontract probably was real but was only put forward now because of the political crisis. For Richard it must have seemed like a God-given way out.

2015-05-22 09:41:05
Hilary Jones
Yes there are several deeds in the Warwick Record Office to which JAH refers and they are of course now online at the NA. H
To:
Sent: Thursday, 21 May 2015, 18:02

Yes, so it's a deed in the Warwick Record office, not Eleanor's will.I don't see anything odd about Eleanor's land transactions myself, but I do think it likely the precontract was real enough. It is in keeping with Edward IV's behaviour, and if Richard and his cronies had decided to invent a precontract surely they would have chosen not just a dead woman but an obscure woman without powerful connections.I don't know if the executions of Norfolk's servants in 1468 had anything to do with knowledge of the precontract - I just haven't looked into it. It's risky to assume that every unusual thing that happened to any of Eleanor's relations must have been caused by her big secret.

2015-05-22 14:34:15
Janjovian
I often wonder if Hastings knew quite a lot about the pre-contract marriage in particular and Edward's love life generally.
They seem to have had a reputation for carousing together and seem to have treated the women in their lives almost as "prey."

Jess From: Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... []
Sent: 22/05/2015 09:41
To:

Yes there are several deeds in the Warwick Record Office to which JAH refers and they are of course now online at the NA. H
To:

Yes, so it's a deed in the Warwick Record office, not Eleanor's will.I don't see anything odd about Eleanor's land transactions myself, but I do think it likely the precontract was real enough. It is in keeping with Edward IV's behaviour, and if Richard and his cronies had decided to invent a precontract surely they would have chosen not just a dead woman but an obscure woman without powerful connections.I don't know if the executions of Norfolk's servants in 1468 had anything to do with knowledge of the precontract - I just haven't looked into it. It's risky to assume that every unusual thing that happened to any of Eleanor's relations must have been caused by her big secret.

2015-05-22 15:08:44
Pamela Bain

That also sounds like Henry VIII!

Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 8:34 AM
To:
Subject: RE: Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

I often wonder if Hastings knew quite a lot about the pre-contract marriage in particular and Edward's love life generally.
They seem to have had a reputation for carousing together and seem to have treated the women in their lives almost as "prey."

Jess

Sent: 22/05/2015 09:41
To:

To:

Yes, so it's a deed in the Warwick Record office, not Eleanor's will.

I don't see anything odd about Eleanor's land transactions myself, but I do think it likely the precontract was real enough. It is in keeping with Edward IV's behaviour, and if Richard and his cronies had decided to invent a precontract surely they would have chosen not just a dead woman but an obscure woman without powerful connections.

I don't know if the executions of Norfolk's servants in 1468 had anything to do with knowledge of the precontract - I just haven't looked into it. It's risky to assume that every unusual thing that happened to any of Eleanor's relations must have been caused by her big secret.

Re: Mythologyharges

2015-05-22 15:51:10
Doug Stamate
Arlene wrote:
Even more perplexing: why did Bishop Stillington say nothing for 19 years (!) while Edward IV was married to Elizabeth and fathering ten children by a woman who was not his wife? As a Bishop, was Stillington not compelled to save the soul of his king, who was living in sin as a bigamist? Doug here: I imagine the Bishop's, um, reticence?, was likely due to the fact that had the matter been brought up, it would have been Stillington's word against Edward's, while Edward was the reigning monarch. Basically it would have been a case of he said/he replied, with the latter having, if not more believability, certainly more political power behind it. As for Stillington being compelled to save Edward's soul, a failed attempt wouldn't accomplish that. Doug

2015-05-22 16:01:14
mariewalsh2003

Hi Hilary,

Yes indeed, high time someone invented a trans-temporal bugging device - you know, wire it into a wall in Crosby Place today, set it to 12th June 1483 and press Go.

I suppose I ought to add a couple of things to my previous post:-

1) Re Stillington's soul. There are two options: either a) the precontract was true and he kept quiet about it until after Edward IV was dead, or b) it was not true and he connived at perpetrating the biggest constitutional fraud of the age. Either way he was no saint and martyr.

2) Although a Church court might possibly ruled against the letter of canon law and allowed the Woodville marriage, this would have been a breach of the rules and could therefore have prompted an appeal to Rome, and it would have been a very messy solution for this and other reasons. Given the constitutional significance, it was IMO absolutely right for the impact on the succession to be decided by Parliament. There were differences between canon law and English common law regarding the matter of legitimacy - for instance, if a child was born to two unmarried people and the parents later married each other, then that child became legitimate under canon law but not under common law. The couple's heir would therefore be the first son born to them after their marriage, despite the canon-law legitimation of the elder child. Therefore the principle was clearly set that, whilst a church court might rule on a marriage, it was for the law of the land to determine legitimacy for its own purposes. (This is why Parliament had had to legitimise the Beauforts despite their parents' subsequent marriage.)

So it was - Crowland notwithstanding - not for the Church to decide whether Edward IV's children should keep their place in the royal succession. Churchmen inevitably didn't like the independence of common law in this regard, and criticised its attitude to children born before their parents' marriage, but that didn't change the facts.

2015-05-22 17:05:45
b.eileen25
Exactly,..of course it's impossible to know what went through someone's head 500 years later...but it may have been that Stillington liked his head where it was...on top of his neck. It may have been the easier and safest option to put the pre-contract to one side but when Edward died earlier than would have been expected and an illigimate boy was about to be crowned it all became too much to ignore any longer...Stillington may well have hoped that he would die before Edward thus saving him from the problem of having to do something about it...

2015-05-22 20:52:16
Nance Crawford
Wish someone here had already read KING’S GAMES: A Memoir of Richard III – I’ve addressed so many of the foregoing in the play and the Commentaries. And then there’s the detailed Appendix B Timeline: follow the money. Stillington was a very worldly man (with an illegitimate child of his own). He claimed to have been the only witness, which makes absolute sense. He would not have known about the Woodville marriage until everyone else did, and what was he going to do, then? Point fingers at the king? Hardly politic and he was a consummate politician. It only took a month in prison to keep his head on – and down, and Edward, after, appears to have continued to trust him. With Edward dead – far too young, far too soon, all bets were off. Occurs to me to wonder what Stillington & Morton thought of each other . . . The Book: KING'S GAMES: A Memoir of Richard III http://amzn.to/1vMyQjc
www.NanceCrawford.com

2015-05-22 21:35:08
maroonnavywhite
"For Richard it must have seen like aGod-given way out."

Yes. Especially as the Wydevilles were already making their moves. It was one of the few things short of them all being on a White Ship that was capable of stopping them without a reprise of the wholesale bloodletting that occurred during the Anarchy.

Tamara

2015-05-22 22:00:14
Hilary Jones
To me the conumdrum is 1b) - who would want to replace a potentially Woodville-biased minority king with Richard? MB - too difficult, how would she know she and HT would do better under Richard than Edward V unless she'd groomed Buckingham to intervene but that was more than a bit risky? Louis XI - a new warrior king who believed in the English rights in France as shown in 1475 - certainly not. This is where Hicks et al rush in and say Richard plotted it all, but everything about his character says he wouldn't/didn't. And if it wasn't intended that the throne go to Richard (Jan's point about Hastings is interesting) then who would it go to? To me it's all too complex, so despite all, the Eleanor story must be true and must have been a bombshell when it emerged. But we don't know that friend Stillington conducted or witnessed anything; his name just crops up with regard to drafting TR and, several decades later, in heresay foreign correspondence. That he was a clever man who upset certain branches of the Church (as did Beckynton) seems feasible and he was imprisoned for something, but for what in 1475. He seems to have been a loose canon with a penchant for causing trouble and using excuses to get out of it (as are a lot of clever men) but as I've said before that's the exact reason why the worldy-wise Edward would never have chosen him as a witness. But if someone confided in him later ..... well that's a different thing. Sorry - blame Stephen for setting me on this trail :) H
To:
Sent: Friday, 22 May 2015, 16:01
Subject: Re: Re: Mythology

Hi Hilary,Yes indeed, high time someone invented a trans-temporal bugging device - you know, wire it into a wall in Crosby Place today, set it to 12th June 1483 and press Go.
I suppose I ought to add a couple of things to my previous post:-
1) Re Stillington's soul. There are two options: either a) the precontract was true and he kept quiet about it until after Edward IV was dead, or b) it was not true and he connived at perpetrating the biggest constitutional fraud of the age. Either way he was no saint and martyr.
2) Although a Church court might possibly ruled against the letter of canon law and allowed the Woodville marriage, this would have been a breach of the rules and could therefore have prompted an appeal to Rome, and it would have been a very messy solution for this and other reasons. Given the constitutional significance, it was IMO absolutely right for the impact on the succession to be decided by Parliament. There were differences between canon law and English common law regarding the matter of legitimacy - for instance, if a child was born to two unmarried people and the parents later married each other, then that child became legitimate under canon law but not under common law. The couple's heir would therefore be the first son born to them after their marriage, despite the canon-law legitimation of the elder child. Therefore the principle was clearly set that, whilst a church court might rule on a marriage, it was for the law of the land to determine legitimacy for its own purposes. (This is why Parliament had had to legitimise the Beauforts despite their parents' subsequent marriage.)So it was - Crowland notwithstanding - not for the Church to decide whether Edward IV's children should keep their place in the royal succession. Churchmen inevitably didn't like the independence of common law in this regard, and criticised its attitude to children born before their parents' marriage, but that didn't change the facts.

2015-05-22 22:17:00
maroonnavywhite
Speaking of Fat Henry, I was reading a piece on Nan Bullen's understandably cranky ghost just now, and the following passage jumped out at me (fortunately I wrestled it to the ground before it could do any harm) :

"Today is the anniversary of the beheading of Anne Boleyn in 1536. While there are stories of that doomed queen leading a procession of the dead at St. Peter ad Vincula, where she is buried, and of her haunting, among other sites, Hever Castle, Blicking Hall and Salle Church, her spirit never achieved the cult status of, say, Mary, Queen of Scots, which we have previously covered in these pages. We do not even have a reliable portrait of Anne, let alone an immense collection of relics like those treasured by Mary's fans. King Henry was as assiduous about erasing the physical record of his discarded bride as any Stalinist censor with an airbrush and a pair of scissors."

Hmmm. Sounds like Henry took after his Da in the rewriting-history department, eh?

The article in question is here:

hauntedohiobooks.com/news/an-indignant-awheleyn-defends-her-honor-from-beyond-the-grave/

Tamara

2015-05-22 22:37:51
Sharon Feely
ÿ I presume the author of that piece has never visited Hever Castle then where there are numerous items that belonged to Anne, including her Book of Hours with her own writing. There's probably as many Boleyn ertifacts still in existence as there is those of Mary. I wasn't aware there was an immense collection of Marian artifacts. Yes, the Fat One did try to erase as many references to her as possible, but some buildings were missed and still retain the entwined H and A carved on ceilings, etc. Of the many portraits of her, almost all were painted after her death, but a medal exists that was cast from life, and that is said to be the closest likeness - which is more than we have of Richard! Sharon ----- Original Message ----- From: khafara@... [] To: Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 10:17 PM Subject: RE: Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

Speaking of Fat Henry, I was reading a piece on Nan Bullen's understandably cranky ghost just now, and the following passage jumped out at me (fortunately I wrestled it to the ground before it could do any harm) :

"Today is the anniversary of the beheading of Anne Boleyn in 1536. While there are stories of that doomed queen leading a procession of the dead at St. Peter ad Vincula, where she is buried, and of her haunting, among other sites, Hever Castle, Blicking Hall and Salle Church, her spirit never achieved the cult status of, say, Mary, Queen of Scots, which we have previously covered in these pages. We do not even have a reliable portrait of Anne, let alone an immense collection of relics like those treasured by Mary's fans. King Henry was as assiduous about erasing the physical record of his discarded bride as any Stalinist censor with an airbrush and a pair of scissors."

Hmmm. Sounds like Henry took after his Da in the rewriting-history department, eh?

hauntedohiobooks.com/news/an-indignant-awheleyn-defends-her-honor-from-beyond-the-grave/

Tamara

2015-05-22 22:58:30
pansydobersby
I'm only just catching up with posts here again, so I'm sorry if I'm saying things that have been said a million times already. But:
Why do we always assume that Stillington was the one carrying the burden of a secret and a guilty conscience for 19 years? What if his role was to participate in actively suppressing the secret?
I still think it has more to do with the bishopric of Bath and Wells than with Stillington personally. Whether it has anything to do with Beckington or not (as I speculated a long time ago, if anybody remembers), I don't know. But let's not forget that Stillington was *Edward's* choice for the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The man to whom the Pope had already given the bishopric ended up conveniently dead before he could be consecrated: reputedly poisoned. (There's actually even more strangeness to all this, too, but I have to organise it all into a coherent post some day.)
And what if there was at least one witness, but she was dead? I'm thinking Joan (Cheddar), Viscountess Lisle, Eleanor's sister-in-law. Dead in July 1464, so perfect timing. Buried in Wells Cathedral, as it happens, so obviously had close ties with the bishopric.
I have absolutely no proof of anything, of course, but I somehow get the feeling that Stillington knew, but not accidentally; and if he was complicit in something like this, I think he wouldn't have come forward with the proof unless he felt he had no other choice. But I think *if* he was put where he was in order to guard a secret, he would have kept some important documentation in his back pocket, just in case& just to keep himself safe.
One last thought: What if the pre-contract was something that several people knew *something* about, but not *enough* to do anything concrete with their knowledge?
Okay, one more thought, but this is the last one, I promise: If Stillington was the only one who knew, he'd have been dead, IMO. There's no way he was the only one. But he might have been the one with the most convincing evidence hidden in his back pocket.
Pansy

2015-05-23 09:32:38
Paul Trevor Bale
Somebody mentioned recently that Henry actually executed over 17,000
people during his reign. Makes Richard really look like a saint!
Paul

On 22/05/2015 22:17, khafara@... [] wrote:
> Speaking of Fat Henry, I was reading a piece on Nan Bullen's understandably cranky ghost just now, and the following passage jumped out at me (fortunately I wrestled it to the ground before it could do any harm) :
>
> "Today is the anniversary of the beheading of Anne Boleyn in 1536. While there are stories of that doomed queen leading a procession of the dead at St. Peter ad Vincula, where she is buried, and of her haunting, among other sites, Hever Castle, Blicking Hall and Salle Church, her spirit never achieved the cult status of, say, Mary, Queen of Scots, which we have previously covered in these pages. We do not even have a reliable portrait of Anne, let alone an immense collection of relics like those treasured by Mary's fans. King Henry was as assiduous about erasing the physical record of his discarded bride as any Stalinist censor with an airbrush and a pair of scissors."
>
> Hmmm. Sounds like Henry took after his Da in the rewriting-history department, eh?
>
> The article in question is here:
>
> hauntedohiobooks.com/news/an-indignant-awheleyn-defends-her-honor-from-beyond-the-grave/
>
> Tamara
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: khafara@...
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>

2015-05-23 13:31:26
Judy Thomson
A friend was showing me a book of medieval art, where the author claims more beautiful things were destroyed under the Tudors than during all centuries, since. People, art. Kaput. Great dynasty, eh?
Judy Loyaulte me lie

On Saturday, May 23, 2015 3:32 AM, "Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... []" <> wrote:

Somebody mentioned recently that Henry actually executed over 17,000
people during his reign. Makes Richard really look like a saint!
Paul

On 22/05/2015 22:17, khafara@... [] wrote:
> Speaking of Fat Henry, I was reading a piece on Nan Bullen's understandably cranky ghost just now, and the following passage jumped out at me (fortunately I wrestled it to the ground before it could do any harm) :
>
> "Today is the anniversary of the beheading of Anne Boleyn in 1536. While there are stories of that doomed queen leading a procession of the dead at St. Peter ad Vincula, where she is buried, and of her haunting, among other sites, Hever Castle, Blicking Hall and Salle Church, her spirit never achieved the cult status of, say, Mary, Queen of Scots, which we have previously covered in these pages. We do not even have a reliable portrait of Anne, let alone an immense collection of relics like those treasured by Mary's fans. King Henry was as assiduous about erasing the physical record of his discarded bride as any Stalinist censor with an airbrush and a pair of scissors."
>
> Hmmm. Sounds like Henry took after his Da in the rewriting-history department, eh?
>
> The article in question is here:
>
> hauntedohiobooks.com/news/an-indignant-awheleyn-defends-her-honor-from-beyond-the-grave/
>
> Tamara
>
>
>
>
> Posted by: khafara@...
>
>
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>

2015-05-23 16:13:15
Hilary Jones
But Joan Cheddar's sister was still alive as the wife of the judge Sir John Newton whose father had been arbitrator in the Berkeley inheritance issue - and whose children were to marry Stillington's grandchildren. There's a missing women here isn't there - 'Mrs' Stillington. Was she Stillington's real connection with Somerset? H
To:
Sent: Friday, 22 May 2015, 22:58

I'm only just catching up with posts here again, so I'm sorry if I'm saying things that have been said a million times already. But:
Why do we always assume that Stillington was the one carrying the burden of a secret and a guilty conscience for 19 years? What if his role was to participate in actively suppressing the secret?
I still think it has more to do with the bishopric of Bath and Wells than with Stillington personally. Whether it has anything to do with Beckington or not (as I speculated a long time ago, if anybody remembers), I don't know. But let's not forget that Stillington was *Edward's* choice for the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The man to whom the Pope had already given the bishopric ended up conveniently dead before he could be consecrated: reputedly poisoned. (There's actually even more strangeness to all this, too, but I have to organise it all into a coherent post some day.)
And what if there was at least one witness, but she was dead? I'm thinking Joan (Cheddar), Viscountess Lisle, Eleanor's sister-in-law. Dead in July 1464, so perfect timing. Buried in Wells Cathedral, as it happens, so obviously had close ties with the bishopric.
I have absolutely no proof of anything, of course, but I somehow get the feeling that Stillington knew, but not accidentally; and if he was complicit in something like this, I think he wouldn't have come forward with the proof unless he felt he had no other choice. But I think *if* he was put where he was in order to guard a secret, he would have kept some important documentation in his back pocket, just in case& just to keep himself safe.
One last thought: What if the pre-contract was something that several people knew *something* about, but not *enough* to do anything concrete with their knowledge?
Okay, one more thought, but this is the last one, I promise: If Stillington was the only one who knew, he'd have been dead, IMO. There's no way he was the only one. But he might have been the one with the most convincing evidence hidden in his back pocket.
Pansy

2015-05-27 12:35:09
Aleksandra R
i might be a bit late to this and in that case i apologize. but this makes me think of other biographies that are written with the promise of 'showing the truth and destroying the myth'. there are hints of truth, descriptions of myths that are immediately labeled as myths but no explanation is given.
some weeks ago i had the misfortune of reading a 'myth debunking biography' with the first 20 pages of the writer just explaining how amazing he is for finding all the new material, 350 pages later his findings were full of 'and i believe' or 'i feel'
there is enough material out there for researchers to find some foothold to either show a myth being just that, a myth, or show that there is some truth in it.
hate the books that dangle something in front of you but never give you any real explanation

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 4:17 AM, poohlandeva <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi, I have been reading the Mythology of Richard III during the last couple of weeks and I have to admit to being disappointed.  I think there are a number of good points: but also several things in the book actually had me very angry.  I have read JHDs other books and been very pleased by them; this was a missed opportunity.

For one thing; the chapters are just too short and not detailed enough with few sources examined or other experts brought into the debate.  The author does a good job debunking the usual myths but not enough time is spent on balancing out the evidence.  Hence he is at risk of creating his own Richard III mythology.
Two, the book is too personal.  When it comes to debunking and correcting the modern mythology coming out of Leicester University; much of what JHD has said, may be correct but it is also a lot of knit picking.  He is correct to remind us that the lead was taken by the Looking For Richard Project not the University and that in fact much groundwork research was done before the Uni were even persuaded to come on board.  He is also correct to give praise to Philippa Langley and to point out his own research; but some of the terms that he uses smacks of his own anger at being left out of much of the credit once the Uni started to publish its papers. He should have been given more credit for the initial research he did; but I think taking apart every little thing the uni says is a bit much.  People always see things from their own point of view and sometimes you have to accept that, especially with academics; they call it academic snobbery and it is one of those things.  
Three the attack on positive local traditions I find does JDH no credit at all.  So what if Richard may not have heard Mass at Sutton Cheney; who cares?   It states in everything that the Church of Saint James has published there and in their own statements that Richard III is believed to have heard Mass there on the eve of the Battle of Bosworth.  It is not stated as a historical fact but as a local tradition.  It is doing no harm to anyone and it is a possitive thing as Richard III is honoured in this local village church, where I stayed 15 days last year and hope to go back to in September, if my husband is able to come as well; and I can tell you now the local people love speaking of Richard as their local King and honour his memory in this village and church.  How long did JHD stay there: has he even been there?  These local legends and myths are not historical facts and I accept they cannot be proved to be so, but most are positive stories of Richard and the Battle and the days around this; they do not degrade Richard and they do not insult his memory; they are places people go to show respect for his memory.  What harm are they doing if they state that it is a tradition or a belief?  How can JHD know they are not true?  Was he there in 1485?   Some are improbable, yes, but his criticism goes too far and I found myself wanting to scream.  I like local stories and traditions; as long as they say they are this or it is believed something is this; if a modern sign says to the contrary; why should the original story not also have been told?  There are two places other than the so called well on the battlefield; one far too far in Sheepy for it to be real; but it is gaining ground over the original; there is a plaque but it states clearly it is only a tale.  The criticism of the memorial stone that used to mark the place where it was once believed that Richard III was killed is nonsense.  The stone does now stand in the courtyard at the Battlefield Centre; yes, but JDH omits the fact that although the stone is there and has its original inscription on, a plaque stands there clearly stating that this is not the place that Richard III was killed but that the stone was removed in 2005 after it became clear the original site was incorrect and the land closed off.  It also states that this is where the stone was moved to; not this is where Richard III died.  So JHD is creating his own myths.  These are a few examples; but to local people they are important.  We are not talking negative nonsense; we are talking positive local stories with a long tradition; which do no-one any harm and many which it is stated that it is only a story so why attack it?

2015-05-27 12:35:32
Aleksandra R
'Richard may not have invented the story; he may have been just shocked and surprised, but having now been convinced that his nephew's were not legitimate'
this is the first time that i hear of this. could you please tell a bit more?

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 4:49 AM, poohlandeva <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Maryfriend, I have to admit that having read Eleanor Butler's story by JAH I found his arguments that there was a contract between her and Edward to be very persuasive.  He has put a lot of effort into bringing her story to life and to reconstructing her family life and the possible consumation of a relationship with Edward IV; his arguments are compelling.  I am not convinced that an actual wedding took place, but that is just me personally, but given the arguments that JAH made in this brilliant study, I would not dismiss it either.  I do believe that Edward consumated his relationship with Eleanor and that he made a promise to live with her as man and wife, which would have been enough in canon law to constitute a contractual agreement and a recognised 'marriage' but did Bishop Shillington actually marry them or was he a witness to a betrothal?  Did Edward actually promise to marry Eleanor and mean it or did he make such a promise in order to get her into bed?  He was a robust young man who seems to have had a long list of ladies that he tricked into his bed.  Even without any proof; it is my personal belief that some promises were made and the couple slept together; partly because of the mythology that Edward had attatched to his name when it came to young women.  I think he tricked Eleanor into bed by a promise of marriage.  I would not be at all surprised if he did not do this more than once, but we have no evidence which has survived that we can show as a document to prove it.  I believe that the book gives a good argument to show that other people knew about Edwards contract with Eleanor but said nothing.  Why would this Bishop invent such a story?  He had no reason to an he was believed to be honest and not corrupt. Richard may not have invented the story; he may have been just shocked and surprised, but having now been convinced that his nephew's were not legitimate; he had to act to secure the throne for the safety of the nation.  It would be ideal if we had more solid evidence for the contract to be certain, but if nothing else, it sounds like something Edward IV would do.  What I want to know is that when he then married Elizabeth Woodville, why did Eleanor or her father not say anything?

2015-05-27 15:13:56
Aleksandra R
'that was cast from life, and that is said to be the closest likeness - which is more than we have of Richard!'
but we do know how he looks like

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:27 PM, 'Sharon Feely' 43118@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

I presume the author of that piece has never visited Hever Castle then where there are numerous items that belonged to Anne, including her Book of Hours with her own writing. There's probably as many Boleyn ertifacts still in existence as there is those of Mary. I wasn't aware there was an immense collection of Marian artifacts. Yes, the Fat One did try to erase as many references to her as possible, but some buildings were missed and still retain the entwined H and A carved on ceilings, etc. Of the many portraits of her, almost all were painted after her death, but a medal exists that was cast from life, and that is said to be the closest likeness - which is more than we have of Richard!   Sharon     ----- Original Message ----- From: khafara@... [] To: Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 10:17 PM Subject: RE: Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

Tamara

2015-05-27 19:25:20
Sharon Feely
ÿ What I meant is that none of the existing portraits were from his time - they are all later copies. The model made from his skull is as close as we'll get, but really even that isn't necessarily an exact likeness. It just shows the form and muscle of his face, so gives us a good idea but little details had to be guessed at - the eyebrows and the hair for example! There is nothing extant that was made/painted of him while he was alive and we'll never really know how close these images are to the real person.. Sharon ----- Original Message ----- From: Aleksandra R rasandraleks@... [] To: Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 1:54 PM Subject: Re: Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

'that was cast from life, and that is said to be the closest likeness - which is more than we have of Richard!'

ÿ

I presume the author of that piece has never visited Hever Castle then where there are numerous items that belonged to Anne, including her Book of Hours with her own writing. There's probably as many Boleyn ertifacts still in existence as there is those of Mary. I wasn't aware there was an immense collection of Marian artifacts. Yes, the Fat One did try to erase as many references to her as possible, but some buildings were missed and still retain the entwined H and A carved on ceilings, etc. Of the many portraits of her, almost all were painted after her death, but a medal exists that was cast from life, and that is said to be the closest likeness - which is more than we have of Richard! Sharon ----- Original Message ----- From: khafara@... [] To: Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 10:17 PM Subject: RE: [Richard III Society Forum] Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

Tamara

2015-05-28 03:55:43
David Butterworth
Of course it made sense for Stillington to keep his mouth shut. Unless he was a priest into religious martyrdom, he would want to save his own neck. Clarence, on the other hand, was somewhat reckless. I don't think the 'cry' for evidence is necessary.

2015-05-28 08:53:36
Aleksandra R
As I pressed 'send' I  realized that's what you implied. Sorry was a bit of a off day

On 27 May 2015 at 20:25, 'Sharon Feely' 43118@... [] <> wrote:

ÿ

What I meant is that none of the existing portraits were from his time - they are all later copies. The model made from his skull is as close as we'll get, but really even that isn't necessarily an exact likeness. It just shows the form and muscle of his face, so gives us a good idea but little details had to be guessed at - the eyebrows and the hair for example! There is nothing extant that was made/painted of him while he was alive and we'll never really know how close these images are to the real person..   Sharon   ----- Original Message ----- From: Aleksandra R rasandraleks@... [] To: Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 1:54 PM Subject: Re: Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

ÿ

I presume the author of that piece has never visited Hever Castle then where there are numerous items that belonged to Anne, including her Book of Hours with her own writing. There's probably as many Boleyn ertifacts still in existence as there is those of Mary. I wasn't aware there was an immense collection of Marian artifacts. Yes, the Fat One did try to erase as many references to her as possible, but some buildings were missed and still retain the entwined H and A carved on ceilings, etc. Of the many portraits of her, almost all were painted after her death, but a medal exists that was cast from life, and that is said to be the closest likeness - which is more than we have of Richard!   Sharon     ----- Original Message ----- From: khafara@... [] To: Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 10:17 PM Subject: RE: [Richard III Society Forum] Eleanor's Lands (was mythology)

Tamara

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.