Arms of Scrope of Masham or Bolton

Arms of Scrope of Masham or Bolton

2015-04-07 12:27:29
colyngbourne

I am hunting for the specific coats of arms for either Thomas Scrope of Masham, who fought at Bosworth, or John Scrope of Bolton (the same). The Scrope arms are - Azure a bend or - in general but I would like to know if there were any armorial/cadency additions for these particular individuals - - pendent labels or similar.

Thanks

Re: Arms of Scrope of Masham or Bolton

2015-04-07 13:43:56
Hilary Jones
Can't answer this Col but did you go to the service at the Minster. Would love a report on that H
To:
Sent: Tuesday, 7 April 2015, 12:27
Subject: Arms of Scrope of Masham or Bolton

I am hunting for the specific coats of arms for either Thomas Scrope of Masham, who fought at Bosworth, or John Scrope of Bolton (the same). The Scrope arms are - Azure a bend or - in general but I would like to know if there were any armorial/cadency additions for these particular individuals - - pendent labels or similar.

Thanks

2015-04-08 19:25:46
Paul Trevor Bale
I have a wonderful illustration of the banner of John Lord Scrope of Bolton from Pat McGill and Jonathan Jones booklet Standards, Badges & Livery of the Wars of the Roses published by Freezywater Publications in 1992.
Is Thomas Lord Scrope of Upsall the other guy you mean/ can't track down the Masham one.
John Lord Scrope had S George in the hoist. Field argent a bordure company azure and Or. Badges: Cornish choughs sable wit feet and beaks gules. Motto: Devant Si Je Puis on bands azure Motto and edging Or.
Another standard belonging to the Scropes of Bolton has the motto En Espoir Levie Attendant Grace.
Hope this is what you were looking for.
Paul

On 07/04/2015 12:27, colyngbourne wrote:

I am hunting for the specific coats of arms for either Thomas Scrope of Masham, who fought at Bosworth, or John Scrope of Bolton (the same). The Scrope arms are -  Azure a bend or -   in general but I would like to know if there were any armorial/cadency additions for these particular individuals - - pendent labels or similar.

Thanks

2015-04-12 17:35:58
colyngbourne
Thanks, Paul.

Yes, Hilary, I was at the service in the Minster, as well as at the superb event at the Guildhall that afternoon. I will write something about it in the coming week.

2015-04-12 22:27:55
Paul Trevor Bale
I can scan the banners into my computer and mail them to you privatley if you'd like.
Paul

On 12/04/2015 17:35, colyngbourne wrote:
Thanks, Paul.

Yes, Hilary, I was at the service in the Minster, as well as at the superb event at the Guildhall that afternoon. I will write something about it in the coming week.

2015-04-13 15:58:23
Hilary Jones
Thanks so much Col. I looked for details on the web but there wasn't a lot, apart from grumbles that the Archbishop of York wasn't there. If it's any consolation a lot of people in the Leicester queue were saying that they were glad Richard was being given a proper burial at last and it was lovely (which it was) but they felt it should have been at York. And they weren't from York, they were from places like Birmingham! H
To:
Sent: Sunday, 12 April 2015, 17:35
Subject: Re: Arms of Scrope of Masham or Bolton

Thanks, Paul.

2015-04-13 19:30:23
ptb2004uk
colyngebourne, do you want the picture of the banners? Send me your email off list and I will do if you still want them.
Paul
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.