Can I divorce my ancestors?

Can I divorce my ancestors?

2015-03-29 07:14:36
justcarol67
I knew I had interesting ancestors, but what a shock to find that I come from Lancastrian and Tudor nobility and gentry! The worst shock was when I found that I'm descended from Sir William Brandon, father of the Sir William Brandon who was Tudor's standard bearer, the last man killed by King Richard III! (The direct ancestor is the younger William's sister.) There's also a connection to (but not direct descent from) Charles Brandon, the Tudor duke of Suffolk. There's (shudder) a Blount in my line (I don't know yet if she's connected to the James Blount who rescued the Earl of Oxford). There's also a Hastings connection (don't know if it leads to William, who admittedly wasn't a Tudor advocate but did end up on the wrong side of Richard for whatever reason), and even some Despensers (who died out too soon to take a side).

I guess I can take some comfort in how those ancestors would feel knowing that their line led to at least one hero of the American Revolution (colonial side) and to a connection by marriage to the reputed executioner of Charles I. Anyway, now I have even more reason to support Richard--to atone for the sins of my ancestors, direct or collateral.

Carol

Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.