Order of Service Richard's Reburial...

Order of Service Richard's Reburial...

2015-03-28 17:58:49
Lisa @ The Antiques Boutique
I  mentioned on our FB group Richard III Books & Memorabillia Buy Sell Swap, that it would be nice to have a set of the Order of Service... inevitably there are a couple on ebay already - for just 1 booklet having bids in the region of £35!! Anyway someone mentioned that you can purchase the set of 3 booklets directly from the Cathedral. I've emailed them & they say there is no limit on the number you order. The set of 3 booklets is £15 which includes P&P within the UK & they will work out the postage for non-UK enquiries...
So if anyone is interested the email to contact is Claire.Recordon@...
Hope that is of interest to some

LisaThe Antiques Boutique & Ceramic Restoration/Conservation ServicesBaddeck, Nova Scotia.Tel: 902 295 9013 / 1329
www.Antiques-Boutique.com Like us on www.facebook.com/TheAntiquesBoutiqueView our Ceramic Restoration Photos 

Re: Order of Service Richard's Reburial...

2015-03-28 18:03:27
b.eileen25
Thanks for that Lisa...what a nice keepsake of a glorious day...Eileen

2015-03-28 19:27:22
pansydobersby

Many thanks for that tip, Lisa. Does anyone know if there'll be a DVD or some such of the full ceremony? I'd dearly love to see it in full.

Even if most of my time in Leicester was spent in an endless queue to pay my respects to Richard, it was such an emotional experience, I can't even explain it. I'm sure you all understand what I mean, though.

I'm not usually a very emotional person, but I found myself weeping in the cathedral - but they weren't tears of sadness, exactly.

The handlers were very adamant about people not lingering around the coffin for too long, but I managed to slip behind a pillar and stay close to it for a few moments longer. I made one solemn promise to Richard and suddenly felt such a tremendous feeling of warmth and courage rise up in me that I will never forget. I'm so glad I went there, no matter how much it cost, and no matter how short the visit was.

I think that must have been a lot like people of Richard's time felt about saints' relics. Bringing the past to the present in a very concrete way. (Not that I think of Richard as a saint, but I do believe he was a martyr in his way.) It's all about connecting with the past, with the meaningful dead, something that has a spiritual significance without being precisely religious& for me, my research has everything to do with truth and justice. And that was what I felt as I stood there, peeking from behind that pillar and mumbling a prayer with tears in my eyes: the full significance of truth and justice, all in one precious moment.

I don't know. That sounds bonkers, but I know there are others here who are bonkers in the same way, so I'm comfortable with admitting all this here :)

Pansy/Leena

2015-03-28 19:49:43
Sandra J Machin
We're all here, Pansy, and we're united! From: pansydobersby Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2015 7:27 PM To: Subject: Re: Order of Service Richard's Reburial...

I don't know. That sounds bonkers, but I know there are others here who are bonkers in the same way, so I'm comfortable with admitting all this here :)

Pansy/Leena

2015-03-28 19:54:47
Pamela Bain

Oh, I hope there is a DVD available. I only saw snippets and still photos. If one comes out, please alert all of us who were not there!

Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2015 2:27 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Order of Service Richard's Reburial...

Many thanks for that tip, Lisa. Does anyone know if there'll be a DVD or some such of the full ceremony? I'd dearly love to see it in full.

Even if most of my time in Leicester was spent in an endless queue to pay my respects to Richard, it was such an emotional experience, I can't even explain it. I'm sure you all understand what I mean, though.

I'm not usually a very emotional person, but I found myself weeping in the cathedral - but they weren't tears of sadness, exactly.

The handlers were very adamant about people not lingering around the coffin for too long, but I managed to slip behind a pillar and stay close to it for a few moments longer. I made one solemn promise to Richard and suddenly felt such a tremendous feeling of warmth and courage rise up in me that I will never forget. I'm so glad I went there, no matter how much it cost, and no matter how short the visit was.

I think that must have been a lot like people of Richard's time felt about saints' relics. Bringing the past to the present in a very concrete way. (Not that I think of Richard as a saint, but I do believe he was a martyr in his way.) It's all about connecting with the past, with the meaningful dead, something that has a spiritual significance without being precisely religious… for me, my research has everything to do with truth and justice. And that was what I felt as I stood there, peeking from behind that pillar and mumbling a prayer with tears in my eyes: the full significance of truth and justice, all in one precious moment.

Pansy/Leena

2015-03-28 20:04:54
Paul Trevor Bale
I was extremely lucky to follow my instincts and get to the cathedral 90 minutes before the doors were due to open for the Society service, as it meant I was able to sit less than 5 feet away from Richard during the service.
I did weep quietly during part of the service, when the things said about him during his lifetime were read out, and howled once I had left, after battling through the hordes trying to take photos of the coffin!
I am so pleased I got an invite, and was able to spend so much time with my beloved king again.
Miss him terribly. What a loss to England his betrayal was.
Paul

On 28/03/2015 19:27, pansydobersby wrote:

I think that must have been a lot like people of Richard's time felt about saints' relics. Bringing the past to the present in a very concrete way. (Not that I think of Richard as a saint, but I do believe he was a martyr in his way.) It's all about connecting with the past, with the meaningful dead, something that has a spiritual significance without being precisely religious& for me, my research has everything to do with truth and justice. And that was what I felt as I stood there, peeking from behind that pillar and mumbling a prayer with tears in my eyes: the full significance of truth and justice, all in one precious moment.

Pansy/Leena

2015-03-28 20:33:28
Pamela Bain
Paul, that is wonderful.

On Mar 28, 2015, at 3:04 PM, Paul Trevor Bale bale475@... [] <> wrote:

I was extremely lucky to follow my instincts and get to the cathedral 90 minutes before the doors were due to open for the Society service, as it meant I was able to sit less than 5 feet away from Richard during the service.
I did weep quietly during part of the service, when the things said about him during his lifetime were read out, and howled once I had left, after battling through the hordes trying to take photos of the coffin!
I am so pleased I got an invite, and was able to spend so much time with my beloved king again.
Miss him terribly. What a loss to England his betrayal was.
Paul

On 28/03/2015 19:27, pansydobersby wrote:

Pansy/Leena

2015-03-28 20:57:23
Lisa @ The Antiques Boutique
I'm pretty certain Channel 4 wont miss such a marketing opportunity... I'll certainly post on these forums if one comes out...

LisaThe Antiques Boutique & Ceramic Restoration/Conservation ServicesBaddeck, Nova Scotia.Tel: 902 295 9013 / 1329
www.Antiques-Boutique.com Like us on www.facebook.com/TheAntiquesBoutiqueView our Ceramic Restoration Photos 
On 28 March 2015 at 16:54, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] <> wrote:

Oh, I hope there is a DVD available. I only saw snippets and still photos. If one comes out, please alert all of us who were not there!

To:

Pansy/Leena

2015-03-29 11:16:49
Paul Trevor Bale
Bosworth Battlefield is releasing a dvd of the service on Sunday. I'm sure C4 will bring one out too.
Paul

On 28/03/2015 19:54, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] wrote:

To:

Pansy/Leena

2015-03-29 15:22:15
Helen Neville
I hope they do release a DVD and I think they will. Most of the C4 coverage is available on 4OD at Search - Channel 4 . Search - Channel 4Richard III: The New Evidence - Articles - Who is Richard III? ... ... Richard III: The New Evidence. Return to programme home ... Who is Richard III? View on www.channel4.comPreview by Yahoo They still have the Dominic Smee programme and the King in the Car Park programme too. :)
Of course on 4OD you have to sit through ads and your internet connection has to be good. The coverage has also popped up on file sharing websites, so if there is no DVD and it's removed from 4OD, there are options (illegal ones admittedly!).
I hope this helps.
Helen
To:
Sent: Sunday, 29 March 2015, 11:16
Subject: Re: Re: Order of Service Richard's Reburial...

Bosworth Battlefield is releasing a dvd of the service on Sunday. I'm sure C4 will bring one out too.
Paul

On 28/03/2015 19:54, Pamela Bain pbain@... [] wrote:
Oh, I hope there is a DVD available. I only saw snippets and still photos. If one comes out, please alert all of us who were not there! From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of pansydobersby
To:
Subject: Re: Order of Service Richard's Reburial... Many thanks for that tip, Lisa. Does anyone know if there'll be a DVD or some such of the full ceremony? I'd dearly love to see it in full. Even if most of my time in Leicester was spent in an endless queue to pay my respects to Richard, it was such an emotional experience, I can't even explain it. I'm sure you all understand what I mean, though. I'm not usually a very emotional person, but I found myself weeping in the cathedral - but they weren't tears of sadness, exactly. The handlers were very adamant about people not lingering around the coffin for too long, but I managed to slip behind a pillar and stay close to it for a few moments longer. I made one solemn promise to Richard and suddenly felt such a tremendous feeling of warmth and courage rise up in me that I will never forget. I'm so glad I went there, no matter how much it cost, and no matter how short the visit was. I think that must have been a lot like people of Richard's time felt about saints' relics. Bringing the past to the present in a very concrete way. (Not that I think of Richard as a saint, but I do believe he was a martyr in his way.) It's all about connecting with the past, with the meaningful dead, something that has a spiritual significance without being precisely religious& for me, my research has everything to do with truth and justice. And that was what I felt as I stood there, peeking from behind that pillar and mumbling a prayer with tears in my eyes: the full significance of truth and justice, all in one precious moment. I don't know. That sounds bonkers, but I know there are others here who are bonkers in the same way, so I'm comfortable with admitting all this here :) Pansy/Leena

2015-03-31 03:04:12
Anne Angstadt
I'm a "lurker" in the US who wants to express my heartfelt thanks, a little belatedly, to all who have shared their personal observations and reactions over the past week.  
The media here have given this almost no coverage, although there was a slightly bemused-sounding story on an inside left page of the Washington Post, remarking on the pious assertions that every human life has value--even that of "a long dead despot."  Of course for balance they also mentioned the progressive legislation of his brief reign.  (I wonder if it occurred to the writer that Richard must have been an odd sort of despot.)  I've been trolling through online UK media for whatever I could find and trying to catch up with all the posts on this Forum!
I'm one of those who thought he should have had a official, state funeral/reburial, but nevertheless from what I could see it was an appropriate mix of his own time and ours, the crowds respectful and *large* and the overall air not of sadness but a kind of quiet celebration.  So I've decided to be happy about it and I certainly hope a documentary that will eventually be available in the US.

Thursday I observed his reburial the best way I could, visiting Washington's Episcopal (i.e., Anglican) cathedral for Evensong and making a small donation in his name towards earthquake repairs.  Although I'm not religious in any conventional sense I was greatly moved by the beauty of the service and the building, which harmoniously combines the medieval and the modern too.  (I also left with a much fuller understanding of what burial in the choir vs. nave meant in a medieval-design church, having previously only been acquainted with Lutheran churches.) 
"I think that must have been a lot like people of Richard's time felt about saints' relics. Bringing the past to the present in a very concrete way. (Not that I think of Richard as a saint, but I do believe he was a martyr in his way.) It's all about connecting with the past, with the meaningful dead..."  Thank you Pansy/Leena, this beautifully expresses what I was feeling and just not able to put into words.  
Many thanks and best wishes to all of you...Anne
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.