A favor

A favor

2015-03-24 23:57:02
eborbound

I was wondering if I could possibly trouble someone who might be going to the cathedral tomorrow to lay a rose on my behalf as I live in the US. It would mean so much to me, and I am happy to reimburse the cost via pay-pal.

I hope it's alright to post this here, I wasn't sure, but I know I would regret it later if I didn't ask.

My name is Tess, btw, and I'm somewhat new to the society/ yahoo group . I'm thrilled to find a group of like-minded people and I am looking forward to getting to know you all and benefiting from all the knowledge here.

Re: A favor

2015-03-24 23:59:53
Lisa @ The Antiques Boutique
I wonder if a local florist is putting on that kind of service...

LisaThe Antiques Boutique & Ceramic Restoration/Conservation ServicesBaddeck, Nova Scotia.Tel: 902 295 9013 / 1329
www.Antiques-Boutique.com Like us on www.facebook.com/TheAntiquesBoutiqueView our Ceramic Restoration Photos 
On 24 March 2015 at 20:42, eborbound@... [] <> wrote:

I was wondering if I could possibly trouble someone who might be going to the cathedral tomorrow to lay a rose on my behalf as I live in the US. It would mean so much to me, and I am happy to reimburse the cost via pay-pal. 

I hope it's alright to post this here, I wasn't sure, but I know I would regret it later if I didn't ask. 

My name is Tess, btw, and I'm somewhat new to the society/ yahoo group . I'm thrilled to find a group of like-minded people and I am looking forward to getting to know you all and benefiting from all the knowledge here.

2015-03-25 06:35:29
ebs 222
Tessa -
It's unlikely I will be back in the Cathederal again I wish I could be but when I came back to the hotel last night around 7:30 the queue was still many, many blocks long - it was estimated about three hours for those at the end. Earlier in the day it was even more astonishing - the line was so long and folded back on itself into a nearby (about two - three blocks away) park that I thought there was a separate concert or something going on. In the block in front of the cathederal, there is more folding back and forth of the line. All still quiet, calm and and very good-natured, not somber but a very respectful air about it all.
No one was really prepared for this - at all - and even those of us who find the man so fascinating we traveled over here don't really know what to make of it. I hope some social scientists have quickly formed a study and are gathering data.
Tomorrow the are the tours of the Visitors Center for Society members and panel discussions put on by Historical Novel Society in the afternoon and evening, so it's unlikely that I'll give in to the temptation to get in line myself for another visit -- although I'll admit the temptation is there.....
Flowers are however being placed around the base of the wonderful statue that was moved into town from Castle Park, and I will be happy to place one for you there, along with the one I was intending to put for myself. (I'd been waiting to get one, hoping that someone would gather some up and sell them to benefit the Cathederal or Visitors Center or something -- but I guess all the people who might have done that are just too surprised and overwhelmed.)
If you don't find anyone going into the Cathederal, just drop me a note, Tess, or a quick one to the Forum if my address doesn't show up on your server.
Elizabeth
PS I know one thing -- the cardboard cut-out villain story isn't going to sell with any schoolchildren in this part of England for a long, long time. I believe I saw a goodly portion of them standing respectfully in line yesterday.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Tab® S, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

-------- Original message --------
Date: 03/24/2015 11:57 PM (GMT+00:00)
To:
Subject: A favor

2015-03-25 06:35:29
eborbound
That would be a great idea, there certainly is a demand for it!

2015-03-25 08:25:58
joykharrison
Hello Tess (eborhound),I will take a white rose to the Cathedral for you today. Best wishes from Joy

2015-03-25 10:05:46
b.eileen25
There are white roses available to buy while you are queuing. You then hand them over when you enter the cathedral and they will be incorporated into the White roses display they are preparing for the reinternment ceremony, It will look magnificent.
Or you can lay a white rose on the statue of richard outside the cathedral. There are no roses actually being laid on or near the casket itself as obviously this would be impractical. Eileen

2015-03-25 13:05:05
eborbound
Thank you so much for replying to me, Elizabeth. It looks as if someone will be able to bring one for me, but I dearly appreciate your offer and lovely reply.
It really has been amazing to watch the wonderful turn-out and response from afar, and I can only imagine what it is like to be there as you say. I'm so grateful to everyone who has been sharing their experiences as it adds something personal which doesn't come across on the on-line coverage.
Thank you again and I hope you enjoy the rest of the week,
Tess

2015-03-25 13:05:25
eborbound
ah, I see. That makes sense. Joy generously offered to bring one for me so that must be for the rose display. I can't wait to see it, it sounds like it will be beautiful. I hope there are pictures that will be posted online.
Tess

2015-03-25 14:18:26
Hilary Jones
I've just returned from Leicester this morning - didn't pick up your emails till now but glad someone could help. The queue was short when we got there so it took about an hour (much longer when we left). It was jovial, the police and the helpers were lovely and the many clergy were appropriately giving us Cadbury's Roses! However, when we got into the Cathedral we could see why it was moving so fast. They had obviously hired some secuiry guy more used to Heathrow than quiet contemplation. So it was 'move on, move on, fill that gap' in a very loud voice and we had all of about 20 seconds round the King before being literally herded out. I'm so glad Paul wasn't there, it was quite upsetting. Add to that that one of the British Legion veterans guarding the coffin was alseep on his chair - they were all sitting down - and I began to wish that Richard would rise from his coffin and sort 'em all out. But the pall is very beautiful, as was the crown, and the white roses are all in place in the windows and behind the chairs. Wish I could have had a moment to taken it all in. Just hope someone doesn't take a photo of that veteran and pass it to Starkey. Waiting for tomorrow. H
To:
Sent: Wednesday, 25 March 2015, 12:09
Subject: Re: A favor

ah, I see. That makes sense. Joy generously offered to bring one for me so that must be for the rose display. I can't wait to see it, it sounds like it will be beautiful. I hope there are pictures that will be posted online.
Tess

2015-03-25 15:06:43
Carole Hughes
We need to remember that the British Legion veterans are not young men and should not be made to stand for long periods. I am sure Richard would forgive a lapse.

Sent from my iPadCarole
On 25 Mar 2015, at 14:18, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

I've just returned from Leicester this morning - didn't pick up your emails till now but glad someone could help. The queue was short when we got there so it took about an hour (much longer when we left). It was jovial, the police and the helpers were lovely and the many clergy were appropriately giving us Cadbury's Roses! However, when we got into the Cathedral we could see why it was moving so fast. They had obviously hired some secuiry guy more used to Heathrow than quiet contemplation. So it was 'move on, move on, fill that gap' in a very loud voice and we had all of about 20 seconds round the King before being literally herded out. I'm so glad Paul wasn't there, it was quite upsetting. Add to that that one of the British Legion veterans guarding the coffin was alseep on his chair - they were all sitting down - and I began to wish that Richard would rise from his coffin and sort 'em all out. But the pall is very beautiful, as was the crown, and the white roses are all in place in the windows and behind the chairs. Wish I could have had a moment to taken it all in. Just hope someone doesn't take a photo of that veteran and pass it to Starkey. Waiting for tomorrow. H
To:

Tess

2015-03-25 15:08:24
eborbound
Hi Joy, I thought I replied to this but I don't see it showing up so I'm trying again...
Thank you so, so much. This means more to me than I can say. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to repay your kindness. <3

---In , <joykharrison@...> wrote :

Hello Tess (eborhound),I will take a white rose to the Cathedral for you today. Best wishes from Joy

2015-03-25 15:54:01
Janjovian
It is probably like invigilating for an exam, hard to stay awake!

JessFrom: Carole Hughes caroleugis@... []
Sent: 25/03/2015 15:08
To:

We need to remember that the British Legion veterans are not young men and should not be made to stand for long periods. I am sure Richard would forgive a lapse.

Sent from my iPadCarole

To:

Tess

2015-03-25 16:33:27
Hilary Jones
Then perhaps they weren't the right chaps for the job. I don't deny their past valour but it really didn't look good - they were 'guarding' a king. H
To: "" <>
Sent: Wednesday, 25 March 2015, 15:06

Sent from my iPadCarole

To:

Tess

2015-03-25 16:35:19
Hilary Jones
To be fair I doubt the cathedral, or they, thought it would still be going strong by now. They probably thought by today it would be the odd person wondering through. It did look as though they'd drafted in every vicar in the diocese. H
To:
Sent: Wednesday, 25 March 2015, 15:53
Subject: RE: A favor

It is probably like invigilating for an exam, hard to stay awake!

Jess

Sent: 25/03/2015 15:08
To:

Sent from my iPadCarole

To:

Tess

2015-03-25 16:47:15
Pamela Bain

I thought it was a quite lovely gesture, and yes, they are elderly, so let us salute them awake or taking a snooze!

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:33 AM
To:

Then perhaps they weren't the right chaps for the job. I don't deny their past valour but it really didn't look good - they were 'guarding' a king. H

Sent from my iPad

Carole

I've just returned from Leicester this morning - didn't pick up your emails till now but glad someone could help.

The queue was short when we got there so it took about an hour (much longer when we left). It was jovial, the police and the helpers were lovely and the many clergy were appropriately giving us Cadbury's Roses! However, when we got into the Cathedral we could see why it was moving so fast. They had obviously hired some secuiry guy more used to Heathrow than quiet contemplation. So it was 'move on, move on, fill that gap' in a very loud voice and we had all of about 20 seconds round the King before being literally herded out. I'm so glad Paul wasn't there, it was quite upsetting. Add to that that one of the British Legion veterans guarding the coffin was alseep on his chair - they were all sitting down - and I began to wish that Richard would rise from his coffin and sort 'em all out.

But the pall is very beautiful, as was the crown, and the white roses are all in place in the windows and behind the chairs. Wish I could have had a moment to taken it all in. Just hope someone doesn't take a photo of that veteran and pass it to Starkey.

Waiting for tomorrow. H

To:

Tess

2015-03-25 17:36:45
Hilary Jones
Sorry, it just says to me that the powers that be didn't want to afford the real thing for Richard. In that case, better to have interchanged them with sixth formers from the local schools who would have loved to have done it and had the stamina. They could all have had a turn and not worn themselves out and there would be an inclusive 'community' reason for it. As it is it just feeds the brigade who say it's a cut-price pantomime relying on volunteers ie not the sort of state ceremony at which the British excel. Sounds harsh I know but PR is everything in this. And ..... I'm not saying it's a pantomime but I know some commentators who are. H PS Passed a primary school in the suburbs festooned with white roses - I bet the kids loved doing that.
Sent: Wednesday, 25 March 2015, 16:47

I thought it was a quite lovely gesture, and yes, they are elderly, so let us salute them awake or taking a snooze!

To:
Subject: Re: A favor Then perhaps they weren't the right chaps for the job. I don't deny their past valour but it really didn't look good - they were 'guarding' a king. H From: "Carole Hughes caroleugis@... []" <>
Subject: Re: A favor We need to remember that the British Legion veterans are not young men and should not be made to stand for long periods. I am sure Richard would forgive a lapse.

Sent from my iPad Carole
On 25 Mar 2015, at 14:18, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote: I've just returned from Leicester this morning - didn't pick up your emails till now but glad someone could help. The queue was short when we got there so it took about an hour (much longer when we left). It was jovial, the police and the helpers were lovely and the many clergy were appropriately giving us Cadbury's Roses! However, when we got into the Cathedral we could see why it was moving so fast. They had obviously hired some secuiry guy more used to Heathrow than quiet contemplation. So it was 'move on, move on, fill that gap' in a very loud voice and we had all of about 20 seconds round the King before being literally herded out. I'm so glad Paul wasn't there, it was quite upsetting. Add to that that one of the British Legion veterans guarding the coffin was alseep on his chair - they were all sitting down - and I began to wish that Richard would rise from his coffin and sort 'em all out. But the pall is very beautiful, as was the crown, and the white roses are all in place in the windows and behind the chairs. Wish I could have had a moment to taken it all in. Just hope someone doesn't take a photo of that veteran and pass it to Starkey. Waiting for tomorrow. H From: "eborbound@... []" <>
To:
Subject: Re: A favor ah, I see. That makes sense. Joy generously offered to bring one for me so that must be for the rose display. I can't wait to see it, it sounds like it will be beautiful. I hope there are pictures that will be posted online. Tess

2015-03-25 17:47:27
Pamela Bain
Hilary, that is a great point about students vs. the Legioners. As an aside, we were in France in October, and had an elder veteran on our trip. I called him Uncle Dickie, and he was a dear. But poor fella, he was lost most of the time! I am delighted to hear about the school festooned with white roses. That should give us all a hope for future generations learning about Richard III. One snippet I heard one of the presenters say something like "King Richard III, the last British King to lead an army into battle". I thought of fat Henry VIII cowering and blustering. Sorry......

On Mar 25, 2015, at 12:36 PM, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote:

Sorry, it just says to me that the powers that be didn't want to afford the real thing for Richard. In that case, better to have interchanged them with sixth formers from the local schools who would have loved to have done it and had the stamina. They could all have had a turn and not worn themselves out and there would be an inclusive 'community' reason for it. As it is it just feeds the brigade who say it's a cut-price pantomime relying on volunteers ie not the sort of state ceremony at which the British excel. Sounds harsh I know but PR is everything in this. And ..... I'm not saying it's a pantomime but I know some commentators who are. H PS Passed a primary school in the suburbs festooned with white roses - I bet the kids loved doing that.
Sent: Wednesday, 25 March 2015, 16:47

To:
Subject: Re: A favor Then perhaps they weren't the right chaps for the job. I don't deny their past valour but it really didn't look good - they were 'guarding' a king. H From: "Carole Hughes caroleugis@... []" <>
Subject: Re: A favor We need to remember that the British Legion veterans are not young men and should not be made to stand for long periods. I am sure Richard would forgive a lapse.

Sent from my iPad Carole
On 25 Mar 2015, at 14:18, Hilary Jones hjnatdat@... [] <> wrote: I've just returned from Leicester this morning - didn't pick up your emails till now but glad someone could help. The queue was short when we got there so it took about an hour (much longer when we left). It was jovial, the police and the helpers were lovely and the many clergy were appropriately giving us Cadbury's Roses! However, when we got into the Cathedral we could see why it was moving so fast. They had obviously hired some secuiry guy more used to Heathrow than quiet contemplation. So it was 'move on, move on, fill that gap' in a very loud voice and we had all of about 20 seconds round the King before being literally herded out. I'm so glad Paul wasn't there, it was quite upsetting. Add to that that one of the British Legion veterans guarding the coffin was alseep on his chair - they were all sitting down - and I began to wish that Richard would rise from his coffin and sort 'em all out. But the pall is very beautiful, as was the crown, and the white roses are all in place in the windows and behind the chairs. Wish I could have had a moment to taken it all in. Just hope someone doesn't take a photo of that veteran and pass it to Starkey. Waiting for tomorrow. H From: "eborbound@... []" <>
To:
Subject: Re: A favor ah, I see. That makes sense. Joy generously offered to bring one for me so that must be for the rose display. I can't wait to see it, it sounds like it will be beautiful. I hope there are pictures that will be posted online. Tess

2015-03-25 22:54:29
joykharrison
When you said you would regret it if you didn't ask for a white rose at the Cathedral it just struck a chord with me. I feel so fortunate to be here. I wrote your name on the KR111 label and that you are from the USA, and handed the rose in through the Cathedral door to be included in the tributes to King Richard. Best wishes from Joy

2015-03-26 06:36:28
eborbound
Oh, thank you so much, Joy. It means so much to me in ways that I can't even fully articulate but I suspect you would understand. Sending you hugs and thanks all the way from Boston <3
Tess
Richard III
Richard III on Amazon
As an Amazon Associate, We earn from qualifying purchases.